• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
did not work in few stores around here in MA. they said they need coupon and copies not accepted. Everytime i tried, i ended up buying some drink since i didn't want to look stupid.

otherguyyy said:   No Barcode no coffee. They were so rude I had to Yelp them with a 1 star.

Are you serious? You do realize you're not even a "goddamned customer", right? You're just a petty freeloader, and you deserved to be shamed in front of the paying customers. It's a damn shame the poor kids working there can't leave a review on you. Difference would be they'd probably have something relevant and useful to tell the world.

This is the reason I can't stand so many Yelp reviewers- the site seems to attract vindictive children with massive egos.

which begs a point: the whole thing, especially this ONE-MONTH incredibly wide FREEBIE window, could've been a brilliant marketing ploynortotron said:   did not work in few stores around here in MA. they said they need coupon and copies not accepted. Everytime i tried, i ended up buying some drink since i didn't want to look stupid.

Is there some justification for the staff being rude when someone tries to use what they believe to be a legitimate coupon?

geizig said:   Is there some justification for the staff being rude when someone tries to use what they believe to be a legitimate coupon?

Did u honestly believe an uploaded picture of a coupon to be legitimate? Come on now.

yelloe1213 said:   geizig said:   Is there some justification for the staff being rude when someone tries to use what they believe to be a legitimate coupon?

Did u honestly believe an uploaded picture of a coupon to be legitimate? Come on now.

Who's to say? Since the reports have varied widely as to where/how one might get an original coupon, there was nothing wrong with giving it a try. As with all "YMMV" deals, success rates vary and it is still not clear just what exactly is the real coupon and how one might obtain it.

Shocked but they accepted this computer print coupon in Atlanta.

Worked for me. I printed the front side, black and white, went in nice and friendly, not too busy at 10 30 am, and got my iced hazlnt coffee !!

yelloe1213 said:   geizig said:   Is there some justification for the staff being rude when someone tries to use what they believe to be a legitimate coupon?

Truthfully, why not? So many companies now offer e-mailed coupons that I would not give it a second thought. I have printed coupons and used them in the past.

Jacie said:   yelloe1213 said:   geizig said:   Is there some justification for the staff being rude when someone tries to use what they believe to be a legitimate coupon?

Truthfully, why not? So many companies now offer e-mailed coupons that I would not give it a second thought. I have printed coupons and used them in the past.

There's a difference between a coupon that's been emailed and a hard copy. Just by reading a couple posts in this tread, even to get to the PDF to print it out you had to see the not so nicely uploaded bent copy of the coupon. Not to mention countless posts about the hard copy coupon and how a "copy" of it worked at many places. All I'm saying is that there's a difference between trying to walk into Starbucks and claiming that you thought it was "legitimate" just to try to get the drink vs. actually thinking it was legit. Nothing surrounding this thread points to the fact that the coupon was actually circulated or emailed by Starbucks electronically. Just because many stores gave in to please the customers and allowed them to use a copy or show it on their phones or verbally tell them the "340" discount code doesn't make it legit. It just means you got a nice Barista.

Don't get angry if Starbucks decides to stop allowing digital reproductions of the coupon. It's a hard copy coupon for a reason. If you were too slow to get one when they were giving them out at the beginning of March, then too bad. Move on. Stop whining.

yes, the code works. i got mine saturday.

It would've been cool if the just sent ppl who have the Starbucks app on their phones the coupon, that way they would just have it handy.

I tried to use one yesterday in the drive thru. On the speaker, lady said fine. When I approached the window and showed her the coupon, she raised her voice and said OH NO! Then left the window and brought the manager who preceded to tell me it was a "counterfeit coupon". Counterfeit means that it is a fake....these aren't counterfeit, right? Just a copy of a legitimate coupon. I don't think a copy is actually counterfeit. But after I looked dumb and said I didn't know blah blah..got my free coffee. I get so tired of employees acting like you are running off into the night with their firstborn and saying you have a counterfeit coupon..when often it is a legitimate 'copy'.

pixietwin said:   I tried to use one yesterday in the drive thru. On the speaker, lady said fine. When I approached the window and showed her the coupon, she raised her voice and said OH NO! Then left the window and brought the manager who preceded to tell me it was a "counterfeit coupon". Counterfeit means that it is a fake....these aren't counterfeit, right? Just a copy of a legitimate coupon. I don't think a copy is actually counterfeit. But after I looked dumb and said I didn't know blah blah..got my free coffee. I get so tired of employees acting like you are running off into the night with their firstborn and saying you have a counterfeit coupon..when often it is a legitimate 'copy'.

if you read it

it says

Not valid if reproduced

Received a coupon in my email today. It says bring in the emailed coupon and your registered My Rewards card for the drink.

mrkk said:   pixietwin said:   I tried to use one yesterday in the drive thru. On the speaker, lady said fine. When I approached the window and showed her the coupon, she raised her voice and said OH NO! Then left the window and brought the manager who preceded to tell me it was a "counterfeit coupon". Counterfeit means that it is a fake....these aren't counterfeit, right? Just a copy of a legitimate coupon. I don't think a copy is actually counterfeit. But after I looked dumb and said I didn't know blah blah..got my free coffee. I get so tired of employees acting like you are running off into the night with their firstborn and saying you have a counterfeit coupon..when often it is a legitimate 'copy'.
if you read it it says: Not valid if reproduced

(Above statement edited to remove unnecessary returns.)

That is a standard legalese disclaimer that appears on most any coupon, and it isn't always helpful. There is not a clear understanding of what the original coupon is in this case. And in the case of emailed and printable coupons, saying "Not valid if reproduced" is simply nonsensical. You have to reproduce the coupon in order to use it!

WLABOB said:   Received a coupon in my email today. It says bring in the emailed coupon and your registered My Rewards card for the drink.
Coupon Link
*Good thru 3/26. Must use registered card.

To above poster...Thanks for posting this. I logged into my starbucks account and see the same award notice. My email apparently came yesterday but I didn't know about it. So your heads up helped. Need to use it by the 26th.

yoregano said:   mrkk said:   pixietwin said:   I tried to use one yesterday in the drive thru. On the speaker, lady said fine. When I approached the window and showed her the coupon, she raised her voice and said OH NO! Then left the window and brought the manager who preceded to tell me it was a "counterfeit coupon". Counterfeit means that it is a fake....these aren't counterfeit, right? Just a copy of a legitimate coupon. I don't think a copy is actually counterfeit. But after I looked dumb and said I didn't know blah blah..got my free coffee. I get so tired of employees acting like you are running off into the night with their firstborn and saying you have a counterfeit coupon..when often it is a legitimate 'copy'.

That is a standard legalese disclaimer that appears on most any coupon, and it isn't always helpful. There is not a clear understanding of what the original coupon is in this case. And in the case of emailed and printable coupons, saying "Not valid if reproduced" is simply nonsensical. You have to reproduce the coupon in order to use it!

I can think of 2 ways to use this coupon without ever having to "reproduce" it. 1) have the original coupon handed out at SB. 2) have the email sent by SB that was specifically targeted towards you.

"I don't think a copy is actually counterfeit." - so if I copy a $100 bill it's not counterfeit? I mean, it's just a copy of a legitimate $100 bill right. LoL

Coupons, offers etc from the internet and email are what makes up fatwallet because so many deals are 'online' which means you have to print it out..i.e. copy whatever. And NO, copying something is not making it counterfeit per se. And if you are stupid enough to try to pass off a Xerox of a $100 bill then go for it.

pixietwin said:   Coupons, offers etc from the internet and email are what makes up fatwallet because so many deals are 'online' which means you have to print it out..i.e. copy whatever. And NO, copying something is not making it counterfeit per se. And if you are stupid enough to try to pass of a Xerox of a $100 bill then go for it.

You clearly missed my LoL at the end of that sentence. By the above poster's logic, a copy of legitimate coupon isn't counterfeit. I was clearly showing how flawed that logic is.

In regards to coupons, It is absolutely counterfeit when you don't get the coupon directly from the source. You are right, many of the deals we get from FWF, SD are uploads of pdf coupons. But they're still counterfeit if its 1) not to be reproduced per language in coupon and 2) not gotten directly from the source itself. Just because no one catches it as a reproduction doesn't make it NOT a reproduction. I'm just saying. If you weren't the targeted audience (actually suppose to receive offer from merchant) and there's a no reproduction clause, then your coupon is technically "counterfeit." Now if its like the Teavana deal where they have the coupon on their website for all to grab and there's a no reproduction clause. Then that's just silly.

But we all know most of these deals/coupons aren't the free for all type - they were for targeted audiences in an email or what not. So by making it a free for all by posting a scanned copy of it does make those coupons counterfeit. It's just that no one enforces it. Here, SB has decided it's actually going to enforce it. So what grounds does everyone have for complaining that they didn't get the free drink that they weren't entitled to in the first place? Go get a physical coupon. I saw ppl get them from SB just yesterday.

We can fight about technicalities all day long but we all know FWF deals aren't always meant for everyone. But we make it so. So think about it from a business perspective. How would u feel if you emailed 20 coupons to your very best clients and then thousands showed up with it? I'm gonna bet you won't be too happy.

yelloe1213 said:   yoregano said:   mrkk said:   pixietwin said:   I tried to use one yesterday in the drive thru. On the speaker, lady said fine. When I approached the window and showed her the coupon, she raised her voice and said OH NO! Then left the window and brought the manager who preceded to tell me it was a "counterfeit coupon". Counterfeit means that it is a fake....these aren't counterfeit, right? Just a copy of a legitimate coupon. I don't think a copy is actually counterfeit. But after I looked dumb and said I didn't know blah blah..got my free coffee. I get so tired of employees acting like you are running off into the night with their firstborn and saying you have a counterfeit coupon..when often it is a legitimate 'copy'.

I can think of 2 ways to use this coupon without ever having to "reproduce" it. 1) have the original coupon handed out at SB. 2) have the email sent by SB that was specifically targeted towards you.

"I don't think a copy is actually counterfeit." - so if I copy a $100 bill it's not counterfeit? I mean, it's just a copy of a legitimate $100 bill right. LoL

Why are we going in circles? The original coupon? That's just it. Just where is the original coupon? It seems to be hit or miss as to where it exists. There are conflicting reports of an actual (corporate) printed coupon. And given the history of SB coupons that are valid as printouts (either from email or a link), it's not a reach to at least consider that a printout of this one could be valid.

Printing a coupon received via email? One can certainly call that reproducing. Since these are not unique codes, so nothing distinguishes one sent to Joe from the one sent to Jen, what defines an original vs. a reproduction? What happens if I lose the first printout and make a second? Maybe it's semantics, maybe it's common sense.

Your hundred dollar bill illustration is, well, just plain ridiculous.

The bottom line is that this is a YMMV deal. That much should be simply understood.

Yelloe1213, I appreciate some of your reasoning, but the problem is you are declaring absolutes. Phrases like "absolutely counterfeit" are too strong.

This particular deal is NOT that clear. The discount code is not unique, many have reported success with copies or asking the cashier to enter the code; that's where the term YMMV comes from.

Suggesting that trying to get this deal is fraud or counterfeit is too much. Unless you have some definitive information that the rest of us don't know, this is YMMV, like many other deals.

I absolutely agree this is a YMMV deal. But you are missing my point. It is still absolute. Just bc you got a barista to take a verbal code or a scanned copy of the coupon doesn't make it legit. Each SB/Barista varies on what they'd accept. It's still absolutely a not valid reproduction (if you don't want to use the word counterfeit) but its also up to each SB to figure out how they want to approach it, hence the YMMV. I think you're confusing the two topics here, I'm not debating whether this is a YMMV deal or not, I acknowledge that it is. But that doesn't have any bearing on whether a coupon violates the reproduction clause and is therefore invalid.

At this point we'll have to agree to disagree what violates the reproduction clause of a coupon and it's pointless to continue discussing it in this thread.

It's pointless if you insist on being rigid. Do you have some proof to support your absolute position? (No the disclaimer is not proof, as has been previously discussed.) Is there some official statement from SB on the matter? Not based on the information in this thread. I am not confused, but rather coherent and logical.

Lacking a a definitive answer, being able to get in on the deal and the validity of the coupon are both YMMV. In other words, the coupon may or may not be valid in the strictest sense. Neither of us knows that absolutely.

pixietwin said:   To above poster...Thanks for posting this. I logged into my starbucks account and see the same award notice. My email apparently came yesterday but I didn't know about it. So your heads up helped. Need to use it by the 26th.

I did not receive the email. After logging in, where do you see the award notice? Thanks.

turtlebug said:   WLABOB said:   Received a coupon in my email today. It says bring in the emailed coupon and your registered My Rewards card for the drink.
Coupon Link
What I don't get is how do you pay with a registered card if its free? pay $0 with your registered card? I have an electronic card on the app with $0 (cuz they never gave me the $5 they were suppose to with the other promo), will that qualify as a registered card if it has a $0 balance?

I went to Starbucks in the morning and gave the code and bought a Grande chai latte, no problem. Took my daughter to the same Starbucks and they said they needed a coupon. A nice woman gave her one of hers and my daughter was able to get her caramel macchiato.

emp1 said:   turtlebug said:   WLABOB said:   Received a coupon in my email today. It says bring in the emailed coupon and your registered My Rewards card for the drink.
Coupon Link
What I don't get is how do you pay with a registered card if its free? pay $0 with your registered card? I have an electronic card on the app with $0 (cuz they never gave me the $5 they were suppose to with the other promo), will that qualify as a registered card if it has a $0 balance?

I just tried using this coupon (showing it on my phone) and they refused to accept it. Said the coupon needs to have a barcode.

PaperCoupon
code 350

vs

eCoupon
code 998

My take:

With Register card SB wants to keep track who got their FREE drink. (next time you scan)

Ps

Managers 1
Baristas 5

Refused at Target Starbucks, Vero Beach, FL. Barista told me to go try a corporate store down the street.

Worked without flyer at 3 different Starbucks in San Diego. Told the barista code 350 with no issues. Both walk-in and drive-through.

cuchead said:   Worked without flyer at 3 different Starbucks in San Diego. Told the barista code 350 with no issues. Both walk-in and drive-through.

Which locations did you go to? I went to a few different ones in San Diego and got rejected.

I went to this Starbucks Store in Concord Ca and they were adamant on giving the free one only on producing the original distributed coupon. No repos or digital copies. She did not acknowledge the verbal discount code 350. No free coffee today

yes, it works at the starbucks in houston, tx. just order the drink and give them the code.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014