• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
https://promo.marvel.com/

Must sign up before midnight 4/9

Starting Thursday, April 11th, 2013, we will begin notifying waves of fans by email to provide redemption instructions and let them know when they can access the Marvel #1 offer.Don't worry if your email doesn't arrive on April 11th. As long as you signed up by April 9, 2013, you will receive your email soon! We want to make sure we get to all our fans so that they have the best experience possible.

Member Summary

marvel (134.55kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
The prices on e-bay (and elsewhere) vary widely and of course condition is a part of it - but it is very hard to see con... (more)

BenH (Apr. 16, 2013 @ 9:07a) |

Has anyone else NOT gotten their link yet? I've been scanning my inbox & SPAM folder all week and nada...

TheKricket (Apr. 17, 2013 @ 10:01a) |

I got the first one that said to watch for it, but still haven't got it yet.

IdrinkMolson (Apr. 20, 2013 @ 5:00p) |

thanks let's hope this tiered approach doesn't bring their servers to a crashing halt like last month's attempt

Thanks op, lets hope we don't get the same "we are sorry, we had no Idea that giving out free comics would be so popular that it would crash our servers, peace out"

Congratulations and thank you! You have signed up to get access to over 700 free comics through Marvel #1!Starting Thursday, April 11th, 2013, we will begin notifying waves of fans by email to provide redemption instructions and let them know when they can access the Marvel #1 offer.Don't worry if your email doesn't arrive on April 11th. As long as you signed up by April 9, 2013, you will receive your email soon! We want to make sure we get to all our fans so that they have the best experience possible.

So the gist of it is that we will be invited via email to avoid a Zerg rush of their site...

SuperMario1985 said:   Thanks op, lets hope we don't get the same "we are sorry, we had no Idea that giving out free comics would be so popular that it would crash our servers, peace out"

I'm not exactly happy with how Comixology handled the server crash the first time around, but I will say this - this isn't the first time they've given away free comics. They do it every year for Free Comic Book Day, with little or no problem. The issue is giving away 700 free, near-recent comic books all at once. Hopefully the sign-up strategy will let manage downloads better than the Free-For-All which occurred a couple weeks ago.

Groovy. I have a comic book reader on my Touchpad I've never used, so I'm looking forward to this. How do I pick out of 700. I guess with digital format, I don't have to worry about being a glutton

I really thought I had them the first time around but I guess I don't!
Even received a confirmation e-mail listing all 727 or however many it was but looked in My Comics and I only have 93 comics!
At first I thought it was 93 PAGES, but no, it's 2 pages with with 93 comics total

That's a lotta clicks to haveta do again unless you can just ADD ALL TO CART this time around!

When they first tried releasing all the issues, I was able to download one, maybe two issues before the whole thing crashed. The problem was, I didn't know it was the servers and made the mistake of re-installing Comixology altogether. So I still have lot of comics I haven't transferred from my account to my iPad.

My understanding is once you have access, kingaroonie, you'll go to separate page and pick from there. The last time they had them all separated into categories - like "Marvel NOW!" had one page, Spider-Man had another page, X-Men another and so forth and so on.

Thanks, I was unable to access the site last time. Repped

Beach1FL said:   Thanks, I was unable to access the site last time. Repped

Yeah, if you were lucky last time, you might be able to start downloading one of the issues - but mostly it would freeze midway through. I think I got the Marvel NOW Deadpool and Uncanny Avengers before the server crash. Afterward, you couldn't even access the app, like you said.

Really made me realize how addicted I am to digital comics

Nice...Thanks op!

After signing up, I did not like the way their site co-opted my browser.

I hope I don't end up regretting this.

BitemeIamtoxic said:   After signing up, I did not like the way their site co-opted my browser.

I hope I don't end up regretting this.

What happened to your browser? I haven't had any problems with Comixology in the past - they are really reputable.

I'm starting to get semi-back into comics now so it'll be nice if this works out. I am a bit miffed that I wasn't able to get anything last time around and ended up having to make a new account for this but whatever. Hopefully it'll go smoothly this time around.

sherryillk said:   I'm starting to get semi-back into comics now so it'll be nice if this works out. I am a bit miffed that I wasn't able to get anything last time around and ended up having to make a new account for this but whatever. Hopefully it'll go smoothly this time around.

Well, you're exactly the person Marvel and Comixology are trying to reach with this initiative, sherry. Even if it doesn't work, you can still nap some Free Comics on Comixology if you go to "More" in the top corner of the App and select "Free Comics". It's by no means as extensive as the 700 freebies Marvel is offering, but you can at least sample some comics without paying anything.

I hope it works too. There's a few comics I've been holding off on buying in case I can try them for free.

Just curious - has anyone received their Free Comic access yet?

Virgil27 said:   Just curious - has anyone received their Free Comic access yet?

not yet

Virgil27 said:   Just curious - has anyone received their Free Comic access yet?

I PM'd remick yesterday to update the OP because there was additional info at the link; which remick did do. If you read the updated OP, you will see that they will start emailing redemptions today, though you may not get yours today. Read update OP for details.

Yeah, I re-read the e-mail I got from them and they said it might not necessarily come today - just that once you get a link, you have 48 hours to make a selection.

Got 86 comics

Nice! I'm still waiting for mine. What were some of the comics you got?

I got my e-mail this morning and went over to the site. I obviously planned on getting all 700 - why not - they are free?

After I had added about 150 or so to my cart, the page timed out and when I went back my cart was empty.
So, I needed to go slowly...I added in only a few titles at a time, trying to keep the card ~100.
Then I would check out - then go back to the page to add the next batch.

After I had made it through all the titles, "My Comics" showed only 619 titles. When I added up the number of books listed under each title the total came to 723.

There was really nothing for me to do but go back and try to add them all again since it doesn't reflect if you own them already or not.

But, when I tried to go back I am now getting the timed out page that we experienced last time.

I will probably try again later - but at least I got 619.

This is all so so so foolish on their behalf. If they just added a button that said "Add all free comics to cart" this would never have happened.
They spent god knows how much time and energy trying to fix this and relaunch the promotion from last time.
These are digital goods...it is not like they need to manufacture 700 more for each customer - just give a quick download for all!

UPDATE - so I went back and the site was online. I added all the comics again using the strategy above...this time though I verified that what it said was in my cart was equal to the number of issues listed under each title I added. Even after I received my order e-mails and the e-mails saying the books were put in my library I still have only 619 issue. 104 issues are somehow lost in the ether and there is no easy way to figure out which ones.

UPDATE 2 - I just checked out my last set of e-mails showing the # that they claim were purchased in each transaction. 723. And yet still 619 in my library.
Now the e-mails do say it might take 12 hours for them to appear - however I already got the follow-up e-mail saying they were placed in the library...so I think the transaction should be done.

I wonder if there is some limit that the My Comics can hold ?

I just got my invite and ended up getting 27 . . . a little on the low side, I know, but I already had read a lot of the comics they had up for grabs.

I think you're right, BenH, a "Select All" or "Add All to Cart" button probably would have been the best for new fans who just wanted to read them all. Besides, they are just going to a cloud, I think.

Still, that's a lot of comics. I'm not sure how much memory that would take up on a tablet. Before I re-installed Comixology, I had 15GB out of my 16GB iPad devoted to comics, and I probably had at least 700 comics downloaded, if not not more.

Virgil27 said:   I just got my invite and ended up getting 27 . . . a little on the low side, I know, but I already had read a lot of the comics they had up for grabs.

I think you're right, BenH, a "Select All" or "Add All to Cart" button probably would have been the best for new fans who just wanted to read them all. Besides, they are just going to a cloud, I think.

Still, that's a lot of comics. I'm not sure how much memory that would take up on a tablet. Before I re-installed Comixology, I had 15GB out of my 16GB iPad devoted to comics, and I probably had at least 700 comics downloaded, if not not more.

So - I'll admit - I haven't used digital comics before. I have a collection of about 5000-6000 books from when I used to collect from the late 80's - early 90's. But I haven't really touched them in years and years.

So can I keep these comics on the Marvel site forever? Or must I download them so as to not lose them?

Also - can you recommend good readers (preferably free) for Android/iOS/Windows platforms?

thanks.

BenH said:   UPDATE - so I went back and the site was online. I added all the comics again using the strategy above...this time though I verified that what it said was in my cart was equal to the number of issues listed under each title I added. Even after I received my order e-mails and the e-mails saying the books were put in my library I still have only 619 issue. 104 issues are somehow lost in the ether and there is no easy way to figure out which ones.

Interesting. I too ran into an inconsistency. I added 27 to my cart. I went to check if they had been sent to my accounts - and it says I have 34 new comics in my download. I wonder when the extra seven came from?

BenH said:   Virgil27 said:   I just got my invite and ended up getting 27 . . . a little on the low side, I know, but I already had read a lot of the comics they had up for grabs.

So - I'll admit - I haven't used digital comics before. I have a collection of about 5000-6000 books from when I used to collect from the late 80's - early 90's. But I haven't really touched them in years and years.

So can I keep these comics on the Marvel site forever? Or must I download them so as to not lose them?

Also - can you recommend good readers (preferably free) for Android/iOS/Windows platforms?

thanks.

I believe you can keep them on the Marvel site forever, but don't quote me on that. I really recommend using the Comixology app, if you haven't downloaded it yet. I believe that's what Marvel basing this around anyway. It has a really good panel-to-panel interface which no one can beat.

On Comixology, you have a "Purchases" tab which has every comic you've ever acquired (including Free ones, like these) which you can download to your device at will. And look over my "Purchases" tab, it's every comic I've ever got on my iPad since I've had it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Starting to get these. Thanks for the posts

Ok - I found out what was happening - I guess it boils down to me not being familiar with the Marvel Store interface.

The 619 that show up in my store are "Titles" not "issues." There doesn't appear to be a good way to see each issue you have - you have to find the title and then drill down to see the issues inside.

A great example is "Avengers Origins" which shows as only 1 item in "My Comics" but when you click on it there are 5 comics inside. I compiled a complete list of the 723 from my e-mail, sorted in Excel, and started to go down the list and soon realized this is where all the "misses" were coming from.

I'm not going to go past the end of the A's because it is pretty evident that this is what happened.

I guess the confusion was because they are offering so many different series that when I saw 619 show up I assumed it was issues, but there are actually 619 distinct titles.

Some of them are confusing though...like "Amazing Spider-Man/Ghost Rider: Motorstorm" (which I added to card) is apparently part of "Amazing Spider-man Vol.2" (which is what shows in cart). Since what was advertised was the issue and not the title - this presents the confusion.

I'm pretty confident I got all 723 issue underneath the 619 titles shown.

Virgil27 said:   
On Comixology, you have a "Purchases" tab which has every comic you've ever acquired (including Free ones, like these) which you can download to your device at will. And look over my "Purchases" tab, it's every comic I've ever got on my iPad since I've had it.

So how are Comixology (CX)and Marvel related?

I see CX sells non-Marvel titles - so I don't think it is a Marvel company. Yet my confirmation e-mails from the Marvel store have a CX return address on them?

It also appears there is a Comics reader from CX on the Android App store as well as a Marvel reader:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marvel.comics&...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iconology.comi...

I created a CX account but it doesn't have my marvel purchases. Do they just run storefront software?

Can I read comics from either site in either reader? Is there a way to import my Marvel purchases into CX store?

thanks

Hey BenH,

To answer your first post, I think you can download some full trade paperbacks (containing multiple issues) mixed with the single issues. If you see anything on your download queue which says Volume (or Vol.) and doesn't give an issue # after it, it's probably a full mini-series. That's explains how I got 27 comics on my cart and wound up with 34 downloads.

Comixology is a separate company that specializes in digital comic books, but Marvel has a partnership with them. They used their interface when developing their application. As far as I can tell, you can use Comixology or the Marvel app, but I'm not sure if you can sync them up since they are technically separate apps.

I'd use the Marvel reader just to be safe.

Is there anyway to dowload these to PDF?

I don't think so, cndnmax. Marvel/Comixology uses a special format which enables their panel-to-panel reading interface. Plus, it cuts down on pirating issues.

I'm currently geeking out over "Wolverine #1" by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller. Of all the free comics you got, which one was your favorite?

I haven't got the chance to look at any yet...and likely won't for a while...I just hoarded them for a rainy day.

I own that Wolverine series back from my collecting days. I think the 4 issue set can be had for less than $100.

I was actually thinking just the other day if these older print books have gone down in price since the creation of digital comics.

Some titles - say Action Comics #1 had been reprinted so many times that you would think the value would diminish, but in this case there are so few copies in existence (< 100) that it is just an uber-rarity (and of course...it is Superman).

In general I don't think reprints/re-issues should effect the value but on such a mass scale now... It is interesting to think that in 10 years no more print comics may even be published in print form and perhaps every book will increase in value.

I've been holding on to my collection for 20 years hoping it increases more in value. There is little reason to hold onto a collection now for the enjoyment of it...and the more titles they digitize, the less that need becomes.

Well, BenH, value has actually been decreasing long before digitalization ever came into the vocabulary. A big problem was the speculator boom in the 90's which drove up prices artificially, resulting in a comic book bubble which hurt the industry big time. I don't think digitalization really had had an impact on value so far because most people are looking to collect the issues, not necessarily read them, so it's two different things.

You are right on the money that the comics worth the most are uber-rare. Anything the Golden Age (think WWII and a little after) will be worth the big bucks because so many comics were recycled to help the war effort that entire runs were lost, dramatically increasing the value of surviving comics. Silver Age comics (from the 60's) can also go for a lot (several hundred to several thousand) due to sub-par printing processing of the time.

Otherwise, it's kind of hint-or-miss for value. I'd actually recommend holding onto that Wolverine series, because that's what the movie is going to be based on. Also remember, it's not always a matter of what something is worth, but instead, what someone is willing to pay for it. Go on eBay and Craiglist or attend flea markets and you might be able to sell some comics - like Wolverine - to nostalgic fans rather than fellow collector.

Virgil27 said:   Well, BenH, value has actually been decreasing long before digitalization ever came into the vocabulary. A big problem was the speculator boom in the 90's which drove up prices artificially, resulting in a comic book bubble which hurt the industry big time. I don't think digitalization really had had an impact on value so far because most people are looking to collect the issues, not necessarily read them, so it's two different things.

Yeah - that's the problem and the reason I've been sitting on my collection since the mid-90's...everyone "collected" back then and there are just so many copies. As time goes on those copies diminish...nothing like the war drive, but not everyone will continue to keep them in good condition. In another 30 years I'm sure some of those titles will be worth more. I still have my collection in my folks house and once they pass on I might not have the room to keep a hold of them.

Virgil27 said:   Otherwise, it's kind of hint-or-miss for value. I'd actually recommend holding onto that Wolverine series, because that's what the movie is going to be based on. Also remember, it's not always a matter of what something is worth, but instead, what someone is willing to pay for it. Go on eBay and Craiglist or attend flea markets and you might be able to sell some comics - like Wolverine - to nostalgic fans rather than fellow collector.

The prices on e-bay (and elsewhere) vary widely and of course condition is a part of it - but it is very hard to see condition online and there are very fine lines between condition grades. A nostalgic fan is not going to pay $$$ for a mint when a VF+ can be had for a fraction of the price. I had considered in earlier days (when I had more time) going to a convention and letting the good stuff get picked for as close to book value as I could and then selling the rest off for .50 cents an issue or what not. At one point I was just happy if I could get my money back as to what I put into it. Things like the Wolverine series, Original Punisher, MacFarlane Spiderman #1 (black and red copies - bagged)...these are what are in the top end of my comics...it's not like I have any $1000+ books, best ones might top out at $100-200. On the average I still might be able to break even - but it would be a lot of work.

At this point I figure I'll keep them stored until I simply am unable to anymore. If my kids can get some enjoyment out of them in 15 years and show the interest of diligence in keeping them - otherwise, when I retire I'm sure I can offload them for at least a couple grand. And, although I shudder to think that by that time nary a page will be printed on actual paper - if that ends up being the case, anything down on print will likely have more collector value.

Has anyone else NOT gotten their link yet? I've been scanning my inbox & SPAM folder all week and nada...

I got the first one that said to watch for it, but still haven't got it yet.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014