• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
For a limited time, Lifehacker is promoting Tresorit, a new online syncing and storage service with client-side encryption. "The company offers 5GB of free space, but for a limited time Lifehacker readers can grab 50GB free for life."

Click on the link within this post or go to the Lifehacker article, and it will start downloading the Tresorit software for you to install on your computer. After registering and verifying with your email, you will be able to access the Tresorit application on your computer as well as the website. Currently only available for PC; Mac and mobile apps coming soon.

If you download the Tresorit software through any other link on the Tresorit site, you will only get 5GB. You must use the link provided by Lifehacker in order to get the promotional 50GB.

Clicking this link will start the download for Tresorit with the Lifehacker 50GB promotion.
Direct Link: Lifehacker 50GB Free Encrypted Tresorit Storage

For the Lifehacker article that includes the Tresorit download link:
Lifehacker Article

Read More: Tresorit.com Features

I have downloaded the program and opened it before posting this to verify the deal, and I have 0GB/50GB used.

**UPDATE**

Gigaom, a site similar to Lifehacker, also has a promotional link if the Lifehacker link expires. This is also for 50GB of Tresorit storage. Tresorit lists the two links on its own site as well.

Gigaom 50GB Free Encrypted Tresorit Storage

Gigaom Article

Tresorit Article with Promotional Links

Member Summary

Tresorit
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Anyone who keeps information as personal as a birth certificate on a cloud drive operated by an untrusted third party is... (more)

CharlieSummers (Apr. 24, 2013 @ 9:31a) |

Not necessarily. He might encrypt it before uploading it.

It's certainly not a great idea to upload any kind of sensitiv... (more)

thc (Apr. 24, 2013 @ 10:21a) |

It's not notarized nor is the file made public. I believe most states consider non-notarized copies of a birth certific... (more)

theapparatus (Apr. 28, 2013 @ 7:24p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

what is i don't want to download.

I recently went on a cloud storage binge, signing up for all the services I could find, and I thought I was pretty complete. I missed this one. Green.

From their site: Currently we are developing the Mac, Android and iPhone versions, but we we know that Linux users would appreciate the privacy and security we offer. Please send us your email, and will notify you when the Linux version becomes available.
Also: Android and iOS versons are coming, the release is scheduled before June for both versions.

For those who inexplicably want to store unencrypted sensitive data in a free cloud storage service:
http://tresorit.com/features/
Decrypting tresors without authorisation is mathematically unfeasible it would take several lifetimes to crack one.

Files are encrypted with AES-256 before being uploaded to the cloud. Additional security is provided before upload by HMAC message authentication codes applied on SHA-512 hashes. Encrypted files are uploaded to the cloud using TLS-protected channels.

(And more paragraphs of assurances that the data is encrypted on your computer with your key that they can't access.) Sounds similar to Wuala or Spideroak in that regard.

Not that we can post them here, but does Tresorit offer referral bonus links?

Thanks OP.

Worked for me. Thanks OP

Gave me only 5gb. Never used them before and used OP links.

I signed up, but don't see how to tell how much space I have...

One thing I DON'T like is that it is very intrusive, setting up a new favorite link to your "Tresors" folder. I would rather manage this through an application, not by syncing a folder.

Ahh, reading the site you have to sync something first to see your space allotment (mine is still syncing atm).

Worked. Thanks OP.

This may be worth free but my experience with this was less than stellar. Max file size is limited to 1.5 GB. Does not upload sub folders in a synced directory. There is no web access to your cloud files so you and anyone you want to have access to the files have to install the desktop app. It took hours to sync 2 GB.

From Lifehacker Article:

"Update: Some people are reporting only getting 5GB. Tresorit has fixed the glitch, so it should work fine now, but if you were one of these people, email support@tresorit.com and they'll set you up with the 50GB. Also, you can follow @tresorit on Facebook or Twitter to be notified when Mac and mobile apps are available."

Worse, thie installer forces an icon on the desktop instead of asking as is expected bahavior, and the program snuggles itself into HKEY_CURRENT_USER Run so it's more difficult to stop from running at start time. Their registration email is sent in HTML-only, opening it up to javascript security issues (and making it hard to read with a text reader). Synced a 16k text file, and it took a few minutes instead of almost immediately as expected. And, finally, after following OPs links, it's showing me 0/5G used. Seems like a really slimy company...

spyhunter66 said:   One thing I DON'T like is that it is very intrusive, setting up a new favorite link to your "Tresors" folder.

Boy, I'm with you. Even if you remove it, when the app runs again it sticks the shortcut back in your favorites! That was the straw that made me uninstall the thing completely. I hate programs that think they are more important to your computer than you are...

I got 50gb no problem - looks like a pretty good deal to me - Thanks for sharing!

Just a FYI: Adrive gives 50gigs for free although with advertising. No required installation. Although to use the apps, you have to be a paid client. You can share files though with others as well.

I've had stuff up there for years without any issue. I've been burned a bunch of times with companies that have gone under.

Links Dead

The service is unavailable.

theapparatus said:   Just a FYI: Adrive gives 50gigs for free although with advertising. No required installation. Although to use the apps, you have to be a paid client. You can share files though with others as well.

I've had stuff up there for years without any issue. I've been burned a bunch of times with companies that have gone under.

I have an ADrive account but I haven't particularly felt like using it. I haven't really had anything that I felt was worthwhile to upload 50GB through a web interface...seems like a lot of effort. Can you talk about how you use it? Maybe I'll get some ideas.

It's back!! up and running... just click the direct link https://register.tresorit.com/download?mode=1&promotion=lifehack...

thc said:   I have an ADrive account but I haven't particularly felt like using it. I haven't really had anything that I felt was worthwhile to upload 50GB through a web interface...seems like a lot of effort. Can you talk about how you use it? Maybe I'll get some ideas.

I just use it to keep my ebooks (ie epubs and pdfs) all in one place. I also have uploaded scans of important documents such as my birth cert, ID, etc. Also pdfs of stuff from my attorneys, any key files for programs that I have purchased, etc.

One of my clients use it to keep backups of mp3s that they want to make sure they keep.

Hope this helps

Anyone who keeps information as personal as a birth certificate on a cloud drive operated by an untrusted third party is, not to be too cruel, completely out of their mind. MP3s, ok, but birth certificates? Geez...

Not necessarily. He might encrypt it before uploading it.

It's certainly not a great idea to upload any kind of sensitive information unencrypted...and really, it's not even a good idea to store that stuff unencrypted on your own computer.

CharlieSummers said:   Anyone who keeps information as personal as a birth certificate on a cloud drive operated by an untrusted third party is, not to be too cruel, completely out of their mind. MP3s, ok, but birth certificates? Geez...

It's not notarized nor is the file made public. I believe most states consider non-notarized copies of a birth certificate to be a public record anyway. I know when I requested one of my fiancee from another state back in the late 90's, all I had to do was sign a form that said that I had a legal reason why I was requesting one. They didn't even ask why.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014