• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
"Coffee shop + Internet—it’s a pairing that many of us have come to rely on. WiFi access makes work time, downtime, travel time and lots of in-between times more enjoyable and productive. That’s why we’re teaming up with Starbucks to bring faster, free WiFi connections to all 7,000 company-operated Starbucks stores in the United States over the next 18 months. When your local Starbucks WiFi network goes Google, you’ll be able to surf the web at speeds up to 10x faster than before. If you’re in a Google Fiber city, we’re hoping to get you a connection that’s up to 100x faster

We’ll start rolling out the new networks this August. We appreciate your patience if it’s still a little while before we get to your favorite Starbucks—you’ll know your new network is ready to go when you can log in to the “Google Starbucks” SSID.

Official Blog: Starbucks WiFi goes Google"

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Awesome

I believe there's already free internet from AT&T, but this will be 10 times faster.

Free to the consumer, but how much is Starbucks paying for it?

Was also here today
http://news.starbucks.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=809

stanolshefski said:   I believe there's already free internet from AT&T, but this will be 10 times faster.

Yes and it sucks. I have tech support tickets going back at least three years with them with one of their locations. Up 5 minutes, down the next five minutes over and over again. Two weeks ago I finally got the district manager to respond. Yes, it took him three years to respond.

at&t's speed is what 768kbps/384kbps? I say that 1.5mbps/512kbps is plenty for surfing. Unless you're downloading big files, the download speed is irrelevant for surfing fast. The stable connection on the other hand would be a big +

Nothing is free. Google is interested in star bucks customers browsing history so that they can sell better priced ads to advertisers. Most advertisers would pay more for targeted ads on high value customers who are more inclined to drink coffee at StarBucks.

Imagine the treasure trove of info those hipsters are going to give up... lol

Google, NSA front, will just LOVE all the trendy's giving up their info so freely.

if you want to complain about free internet from google.. BYOW (bring your own wifi) and don't use the free service.

EvoX2008 said:   at&t's speed is what 768kbps/384kbps? I say that 1.5mbps/512kbps is plenty for surfing. Unless you're downloading big files, the download speed is irrelevant for surfing fast. The stable connection on the other hand would be a big +

Is that per person or per starbuck site? If it was per starbucks site it wouldn't be enough.

ArmchairQB said:   Imagine the treasure trove of info those hipsters are going to give up... lol

How can they be hipsters when there are so many of them?

bvd2004 said:   Google, NSA front, will just LOVE all the trendy's giving up their info so freely.Careful you're on the list now.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.