• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 123 4
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I got a package in the mail telling me to put this flashlight in it and send it back.  I'm not doing it.  Instead, in true Fatwallet form, I will use that padded envelope in the future to mail something important.  Thanks Marlboro!  Your plan backfired!

Oh and since I'm an engineer and really really smart, Marlboro didn't take chemistry.

How do matches inside a container where there is little to no oxygen suddenly catch fire?

MIND BLOWN?

rated:
Necromancer said:   I got a package in the mail telling me to put this flashlight in it and send it back.  I'm not doing it.  Instead, in true Fatwallet form, I will use that padded envelope in the future to mail something important.  Thanks Marlboro!  Your plan backfired!

Oh and since I'm an engineer and really really smart, Marlboro didn't take chemistry.

How do matches inside a container where there is little to no oxygen suddenly catch fire?

MIND BLOWN?

Ummm....matches contain their own oxidizer (potassium chlorate ). That's one of the reasons match head bombs are possible. And yes that includes safety matches.
Safety matches don't contain phosphorus though like strike anywhere matches do. That is is embedded in the striker, that why it is safe(r) to turn the matches around so the heads are away from the striker.

p.s.  Thought the same thing about the envelope. Saved mine for later too.

rated:
Of course you could always leave the little foam piece on top of the matches like I did. I swear common sense is a thing of the past...

rated:
minitrk said:   Of course you could always leave the little foam piece on top of the matches like I did. I swear common sense is a thing of the past...
  People probably thought it was part of the "packaging" lol!  Like those same people that remove that cardboard slider inside their microwave and later find out their microwave never turns on again haha!

It's called the waveguide shield you dumbies!

rated:
minitrk said:   Of course you could always leave the little foam piece on top of the matches like I did. I swear common sense is a thing of the past...

Common sense is not very common.

rated:
the engineer said: where there is little to no oxygen

Where did the oxygen go?

rated:
lp244 said:   
the engineer said: where there is little to no oxygen

Where did the oxygen go?

I know what you are trying to do but it just backfired (pun not intended).  Yes it isn't a perfect vacuum when you screw the cap on.  Yes there is some there.

But voila!  What happens when you put a plate or your hand over a lit candle?  It quickly dims or goes out.

What happens when you ask a baby to blow candles off a birthday cake?  Where does the oxygen go?  It is still there, but just in small amounts - at least temporarily.

Bottom line: a fire consumes a lot of oxygen for its size to SUSTAIN the chemical reaction that we call FIRE.  This isn't rocket science!

rated:
Necromancer said:   I got a package in the mail telling me to put this flashlight in it and send it back.  I'm not doing it.  Instead, in true Fatwallet form, I will use that padded envelope in the future to mail something important.  Thanks Marlboro!  Your plan backfired!

MIND BLOWN?

They don't want you to return the flashlight.
Just the compass endcap that holds the matches in. So you can still keep the working flashlight.
Will be a bit odd with a gaping open end, but...

Anyway, what appears to be the case is that some people are not leaving in the black foam insert inside the end that prevents the matches from jostling and hitting the strike paper, which the foam covers.
I actually called Marlboro to get an idea of what the item "of equal or greater value" they promise to send as a replacement will be, but she didn't know.
She also said she wasn't sure that the foam itself was enough to stop the hazard (perhaps a match could wedge itself beside the foam, get lit and ignite the foam?

At any rate, by federal law they have to tell you to return it, they can't ever say "well, it's up to you" or "yeah, keep the foam in and you're probably ok."
(I used to work at Fisher-Price and was involved in several recalls.)

I guess I'll send my compass end-cap in, keep the still-working light, just out of curiosity to see what they send.
If I feel that the replacement item is NOT "of equal or greater value" I will call and tell them I think so, see what they do.

rated:
wondering if anyone sent their endcap in...and if so, what was the replacement product?

rated:
I sent in my end cap - the curiousity of something new got the best of me. But it said it would be another 4 to 6 weeks here till the replacement will come. I'm not sure how I'm going to find my way out of the woods now without that compass cap! The new gift better be good...

rated:
The gift is a cigarette lighter.

rated:
Gift is a key chain and coupons

rated:
the gift will probably be something random from the 'postal returns' room

rated:
Won't be sending the endcap in.  Kept the padded envelope for personal use.  If Marlboro wants it bad enough, send a manager to my mailing address so we can discuss a compromise.

rated:
I got another Zippo lighter as my returned gift. I'm okay with it in place of the matches -- I think of it as a technology upgrade.

rated:
Yep, sent in my endcap, got a Zippo.
Still have the flashlight, just no compass on the end. So I'm cool with it.

rated:
This offer has been dead for months.

rated:
maryeggleston said:   This offer has been dead for months.
  unless you've been keeping up with the thread and know that everyone is talking about the recall of the 'dead' item

rated:
I got a Zippo Today!

rated:
I also received my Zippo today - but I didn't really see that as a fair replacement since the first gift was really a lighter, flashlight and compass. I called the number on the recall (888-597-5387) and they connected me with Marlboro consumer affairs. I requested a better gift and asked for a blue tooth speaker they gave away a little while back. She researched and put me in to get a speaker sent out. If you don't want a speaker, I'd recommend researching their old give aways so you can ask for something specific. Items you could possibly get might be sunglasses, etched glass, darts, playing cards, etc... Good luck!

rated:
XOIncognito said:   I also received my Zippo today - but I didn't really see that as a fair replacement since the first gift was really a lighter, flashlight and compass. I called the number on the recall (888-597-5387) and they connected me with Marlboro consumer affairs. I requested a better gift and asked for a blue tooth speaker they gave away a little while back. She researched and put me in to get a speaker sent out. If you don't want a speaker, I'd recommend researching their old give aways so you can ask for something specific. Items you could possibly get might be sunglasses, etched glass, darts, playing cards, etc... Good luck!
  I'm gonna ask for a trip to the ranch!

rated:
TAZ420 said:   
XOIncognito said:   I also received my Zippo today - but I didn't really see that as a fair replacement since the first gift was really a lighter, flashlight and compass. I called the number on the recall (888-597-5387) and they connected me with Marlboro consumer affairs. I requested a better gift and asked for a blue tooth speaker they gave away a little while back. She researched and put me in to get a speaker sent out. If you don't want a speaker, I'd recommend researching their old give aways so you can ask for something specific. Items you could possibly get might be sunglasses, etched glass, darts, playing cards, etc... Good luck!

Ask for a free box of cigarettes.  Convince them that you never have smoked before but an entire box of Marlboro's finest should turn you into a regular smoker, if not a permanent smoker for life.  Overall, it would be stupid not to give you a free box - even if they are over $50 these days!

rated:
ding ding ding ding *!*!*!*! lol they are all out of the speaker but great idea ( now that i am in a better mood it worked ) they sending me the coffee cup. i was tempted to get the ashtray but ... thanks TAZ !!!!

rated:
Necromancer said:   
TAZ420 said:   

Ask for a free box of cigarettes.  Convince them that you never have smoked before but an entire box of Marlboro's finest should turn you into a regular smoker, if not a permanent smoker for life.  Overall, it would be stupid not to give you a free box - even if they are over $50 these days!

that wouldn't be smart cuz all these promos require you to confirm that you are a legal smoker...blah blah blah

rated:

meh.
These flashlights sell for like $5 at dollar stores, Harbor Frieght, etc. Typical promo crap.
Zippos, on the other hand, aren't that cheap.

I'm, satisfied.

rated:

Zippo (381.61kB)
Disclaimer
Got mine

*SPOILER ALERT*

(it's a Zippo)

rated:
Still waiting might have to call them if I don't get something in the next week.

rated:
bhikshuk said:   Still waiting might have to call them if I don't get something in the next week.
  I only got one of two so far and both were returned at the same time

rated:
XOIncognito -Is there a way to figure out what some of their earlier giveaways have been? You mentioned a Bluetooth speaker, how long back was it given
I missed it and I am blaming Fatwallet!! if a deal is not posted here I don't know about it, if it was posted on here and I still missed it - shame on me!!!

rated:
I received my blue tooth speaker. I think it was a give away about 9 months ago. I would just search the posts for past Marlboro posts on FW.

In general with Marlboro freebies, they only give you like 1 per month, so ever if the blue tooth speaker was posted in FW, you still might not have been eligible for it if you already recently got a freebie.

rated:
i agree as i never saw that promo. they are out of it anyways now ... they got like headphones 2 different ashtrays coffee cups lighters and keychain light.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014