Free Stuff FAQ - (Updated: 2/27/09)

Archived From: Free Stuff
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Welcome to FatWallet's Free Stuff forum!

What IS free stuff?
  • Stuff that’s free, usually stuff you would otherwise pay for.
  • Stuff that’s always free but not everyone knows about it.
  • Stuff that hasn’t already been posted.

What is NOT free stuff?
  • Always-free stuff that everyone knows about (like air).
  • Evil stuff like spam, referral programs, pyramid schemes, etc.
  • Stuff that requires you to pay shipping, which could end up costing more than the value of the item.
  • Free stuff worth more than $10 …because that’s a Hot Deal!

Reposts, déjà vu, Reposts, déjà vu: Please search for similar topics before posting.

If you discover a repost, please
  • Do not vote.
  • Alert Mods …there’s a link in every post.

Dead Deals: If stuff is no longer valid or available, please
  • Vote.
  • Do NOT alert moderators. Since freebies reactivate unpredictably, we do not move them to Expired Deals.

Spam: If you suspect someone is personally benefitting from a post, please
  • Do not vote.
  • Alert Mods …there’s a link in every post.

Rating (or Voting on) others’ posts
  • Vote Green [+] if you’d recommend the post to friends.
  • Vote Red [-] if you’d warn your friends against the post (poor product, unreliable supplier, etc).
  • Do NOT vote on reposts or spam. Alert Mods instead.
  • Do NOT vote or take votes personally, and do NOT discuss votes in the topic.
  • As of March 2009, “always free” stuff is allowed. We ask you not to vote red [-] solely on the basis of stuff always being free. Thanks!

Ethics
Yes, ethics. In the words of our founder, “Free stuff is great, and finding free stuff is half the fun. Actually receiving it is the other half. As you know, many free offers have restrictions that limit the offer to business owners, doctors, dentists, (insert other profession here). Please give the free offers some thought before applying for them. If you don't qualify for it, don't request it. Not eligible? Please pass... leave the freebie for someone that is eligible. I'm not going to pass judgment on anyone, just making a request that I think will benefit us all."

Moderation
  • Only when necessary, and with ninja stealth (the invisible part, not the killing).
  • Where’s the rulebook? Here you go!

• Act first on behalf of the community.
    • Treat each other well (or as you’d like to be treated, whichever is better).
    • Don’t take yourself so darn seriously.

• Barry Schwartz on being practitioners of moral skill
  • Open a dialogue with us any time via support request

Expectations of Forum Tone & Behavior

Be nice.

You want more? Okay, I'll explain.

Be nice because it promotes better discussion. When people feel attacked they get defensive. The topic gets derailed onto personal issues, and productive discussion ends. Nobody wins here.

If you were sending a friend or family member to the forums, how would you want them to be treated?

Stick to the topic. Criticize the argument but not the individual. If you have a strong case, there's no need to attack the other person's character to make your point.*

And let me be clear, personal attacks aren't just direct namecalling. These are all attacks to the intelligence and character of the poster and not acceptable:
- "Even you can understand this."
- "Let me put this in simple terms you can understand."
- "Only an idiot would think that."
- "I think I lost IQ points just reading that."
- "I will not dignify that nonsense with a response."

Be respectful and bring value to the conversation. Explain your criticism. Differences of opinion are great! ...if both sides take the time to explain themselves. Don't just have a duck season/rabbit season argument.

Good examples:
- "I hate to burst your bubble, but that hard drive has gotten some pretty terrible reviews: Link"
- "Good price, but mine broke after a week"
- "Found it cheaper here: Link"
- "Rebate kills this deal. Company XYZ is notorious for not honoring their rebates."
- "I'll have to disagree. In my experience..."
- "Really? I was just reading this article that says the exact opposite..."

Want to avoid the drama and running afoul the moderation team? I'll let you in on this simple, time-tested strategy:

Be more polite than you think is necessary.

*Excellent video discussing "What You Said vs. Who You Are". Hint: You want to be having the first conversation.
It has examples specific to discussing race, but the basic principle applies to any conversation.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.