• filter:
  • 1 2345157
  • Page
  • Next 40
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
if you sign up for the newsletter you get a free rental.

http://www.redbox.com/Help/Signup.aspx

i got an email that says.

Now to the good stuff. To redeem your one night's free rental, please enter the following promo code at any redbox.

BREAKROOM

I haven't tried the code yet but it might work without signing up for the newsletter.

To check for REDBOX locations:

http://www.redbox.com/Locations/KioskSearch.aspx

It's only a buck a night anyways.. so this might not be a hot deal.

Just found it interesting

Moderator Comment: Check out the Official Master Thread of "Official Store Threads" here. — Mar. 3, 2010 @ 1:03pm
Member Summary

Redbox Coupons (29.59kB)
Thanks MVP9596
Disclaimer

Redbox Promo Codes (21.97kB)
Thanks Mulox
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
This has always been a highly controversial and hotly debated issue for FW... and not just with Redbox codes, but I am t... (more)

Mulox (Feb. 08, 2016 @ 10:00p) |

That happen to one of my accounts, then after a few tries, not only I was not only unable to use the code, but they requ... (more)

ElGuache (Feb. 08, 2016 @ 11:47p) |

The best choice to make all camps happy is not to lock the threads of any posted deals that are hot and not duplicates (... (more)

riznick (Feb. 09, 2016 @ 3:55a) |

********************************************************************************************************************************
************************* FAQ - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - NEW TO REDBOX *************************
********************************************************************************************************************************

NOTE: FOR QUESTIONS ON REQUESTING CODES, SEE THE NEXT FAQ SECTION BELOW (PART 2)

Q1: I am completely new to Redbox, where can I go to learn more?
A: Redbox Explained 

Q2: What is the difference between promotional codes?
A: There are 3 different categories as of today:
Category  Limit  Where do you get these codes from? Frequency seen Typical Expiration Description/Examples
Unique, one-time use codes 1 use only Emailed/texted to you from Redbox, or given from other members here in this forum or through the new code management system (see below for details) 1/week to daily 1 week to 45 days out An 8-digit code that can only be used once by anyone
Public, shareable single-use codes 1 per credit card This forum or various websites. Not that common anymore. Have not seen this in months 1 week to 1 year Examples in the past include the code REDBOX or MOVIE for new users
Public, shareable, multi-use 5 per credit card Emailed to you from Redbox or found on the RB Facebook page or in this forum 1/month Same day While you can use these 5 times per credit card, you must use them 1 at a time (5 separate checkouts).

Q3: What time of day do all codes expire?
A: All codes always expire at midnight CST. TIP:  For those of you living on the east coast this is 1am.  Which means if you have a code expiring on Monday, you can actually wait until midnight to use it, when the new releases become available. This gives you a unique 1-hour window to stretch the use of those expiring codes (including play pass)!  Unfortunately this only works directly at the kiosk, as the new movies do not load online or in-app.

Q4: Can I use XXXXXX code for Blu-ray movies?
A: ALL movie codes work on Blu-ray movies. The only difference is that some codes (rarely on Blu-ray) give you the entire purchase free, whereas other codes (mostly) discount the rental price of a DVD, leaving you to pay the difference for the Blu-ray, which is around 30 cents, depending on your state tax.

Q5: What is Play Pass?  Is it worth signing up for?
A: 
Play Pass is Redbox's loyalty program which started October 2014, where you earn points for rentals to earn free movie nights.  This is really a no-brainer... you should definitely sign up, like right now!  BENEFITS:
 - You earn points even when you don't pay!  Yes that's right, you earn points on FREE rentals.  I am still scratching my head on that one...
 - You now earn DOUBLE points on all new releases from Tues-Sat that week they are released!  So rent just 5 movies for free using a code, and you just earned a play pass free rental!
 - My favorite benefit is that play pass credits cover the FULL cost of Blu-ray rentals!  Normally you have to pay a little bit extra using a standard ROGO/free code.  For this reason, I typically wait and rent all my Blu-ray rentals using these credits exclusively
 - As if that wasn't enough motivation, you also get free movies on your birthday every year

Q6: Why am I getting this error message at the KIOSK?  "Sorry, the code you have entered is only valid at certain locations, and this isn't one of them."
A:
This is an example of Redbox using very poor word choice for error messages.  In this case "location" means online, mobile app, or kiosk... NOT Walgreens vs. CVS, etc.  So what this really means is that the code can only be used online or within the mobile app, and NOT at the kiosk "location".  Reserve online or in-app (for the same place) and it will work just fine.  If you are getting another kind of error and you are trying the kiosk, try online (see next question for full explanation).

Q7: I am getting "Invalid code" error when I try to use my promo code ONLINE or on the MOBILE APP, and I KNOW the code is good... what's going on?
A: Many members have reported this issue, which started appearing in January 2015. All that we know for certain is that something triggers putting your account into a temporary suspension status (typically 5-7 days) that prevents you from using ANY other codes online or in-app. The only known solutions are to:

A) use another account
B) use the code directly at the kiosk - this is the easiest workaround
C) wait 5-7 days for the temp block to be lifted

Here are the things we think can trigger the temporary block/suspension from being able to use ANY codes online/in-app:

1. Having an account for over 1 year and being fairly active (Redbox always offers more incentives to newer members/accounts) AND
2. Using too many codes over a short period of time (more than 5 in a week or less??)  AND/OR
3. Having too many unused Playpass codes (6 or more) AND/OR
4. Attempting to apply too many codes that have already expired (ex. you have a list of codes you are testing, because you don't know if they were used or not)

Q8: Can I use a pre-paid card (ex. Visa/MC/Amex/Rebate/Gift card)?
A: No. As of 3/1/2013, Redbox no longer accepts these cards, even if they are registered with your Name and zip (prior to this date, this used to work). I spoke with customer service and they said the only pre-paid cards that will work are ones backed by an actual bank (ex. Chase, Bank of America, etc.) which is NOT common unfortunately. 

*************** FAQ PART 2 - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - NEW TO THIS THREAD/FORUM *********

Q1: REQUESTING CODES, NEWBIES. I am new to this thread (or it's been awhile since last here) and this is my FIRST TIME requesting a code. What is the right way to request a code? 
A: FIRST TIME Requestors - if you are requesting a code, we have 2 very SIMPLE requirements:

1. First, you must read this FAQ in it's entirety! 
If you ask questions that are already answered in the FAQ (proving you did not read it), you will be penalized (reduced code allowance or 24-hour suspension of benefits)
If you fail to follow the rules outlined in the FAQ, your membership will be suspended (1 day up to several weeks, depending on severity and # of occurrences) 

2.  Next, you need to register as a member of this thread.  The registration process is very simple: just post a message in this thread stating you are new to thread and would like to get a code, that's it!
NOTE: Please make sure you have private messaging turned on in your profile, as well as email notifications turned on.  You will get your free rental code via a Private Message within 24 hours. Please don't keep sending a message every hour or double-requesting by posting in the thread also... doing so will put you at the bottom of the request queue or possibly suspend your privileges for a couple of days.

Q2: REQUESTING CODES, Registered Members. Now that I am a registered member, what is the right way to request a code? 
A: If you are a registered, member (meaning you posted and got your first code already), please ONLY use PM (Private Messages) to Mulox going forward... do NOT post requests in the thread/forum
IMPORTANT NOTE!
If you ask questions that are already answered in the FAQ (proving you did not read it), you will be penalized (reduced code allowance or 24-hour suspension of benefits)
If you fail to follow the rules outlined in the FAQ, your membership will be suspended (1 day up to several weeks, depending on severity and # of occurrences) 

Q3: HOW LONG DO I WAIT? What is the typical turnaround time I can expect on my code request?
A:
There is a 24-hour turnaround policy on code requests.  That means if you request a code, you will get it within 24 hours of posting in the forum or private messaging (PM) me.  This will not impact 99% of members, because now with the new system, everyone is able to plan ahead (for example, save up codes for this weekend).  The folks that will suffer are the ones that are standing in front of a kiosk and waiting for an instant code.  In many cases, if we are not busy, many will get their codes turned around in a few minutes to an hour or so.  The difference is that we are not committing to turning it around that fast every time.
In the end, this is a free movie folks, it's not life or death. The key is to just plan, plan, plan ahead. There is an old saying that goes:  "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"

Q3a: What is the ideal # of days to request codes in advance?
A: Ideally codes should be requested between 2-3 days in advance from the time you are going to use them. That way, you are guaranteed to get them in time, since there is a 24-hour turnaround time. In addition, by not requesting them too far out, that ensures none are wasted, because we never know what tomorrow will bring in terms of promotions, multi-use codes, etc. Of course we always want to conserve donated codes and use multi-use first.  Therefore, the bare minimum lead time should be 24 hours and the maximum is 3 days (subject to change).

Q4: GETTING CODES. I see that I can request codes here in this forum, but where else can I go to get free codes on my own?
A: That is a GREAT question!  There are several ways, and it changes throughout the year, such as:

1. MOST important method is to create an account online at redbox.com using your email address! You typically get 1 promo code sent to you per week.
2. NEXT most important method is to join the Redbox Text Club, by sending SIGNUP to 727272.  You typically get 1 promo code sent to you per week.
3. Repeat 1 and 2 with as many email/text accounts as you have to get an exponential amount of codes!
4. Redbox Freebie Tab on Facebook (have not seen much activity lately)
5. Insider Redbox (not too active in last 9 months though)
6. Also various food manufacturers have had promotions in the past where they included free codes inside the packaging, such as Orville Popcorn and Dr. Pepper.

AND the best part is... if you have extra codes left over that you will not use, DONATE them here (see rules/process below).  If you follow the process, you will earn credits that improve your ranking, which will help you later on when you want to get codes!  For information on REQUESTING CODES in this forum, read on...

Q5: DONATING CODES. Ok, so I have some extra codes that I want to donate... what is the process? Do you want all types of codes?
A:
GREAT!  Donating is what keeps this system working, and you will earn credits for prizes like percent off coupons and also improve your Requestor rank, which helps you get more codes when you need them in the future!  We also sometimes have contests where the top 3 donors earn special prizes. Lastly, donating codes improves your member rank (see Q7 below for more info).

While we do want all codes to be shared, there is a process to follow on HOW and WHERE you send them:

1. If the code is NOT a free rental or a ROGO (Rent One Get One Free) or a $1 off... this means it's probably 25 cents off, 50 cents off, 75 cents off, please simply post those in the open thread here
2. If the code is a Free rental or ROGO or $1 off, please send a Private Message (PM) to Mulox directly, where he will file it into the database and give you proper donation credit.  If you post these types of codes in the open thread, unfortunately you will NOT get any credit.
3. The only EXCEPTION for donating free/ROGO codes via PM is if the code is expiring same day AND in less than 4 hours (final cutoff time of 9pm EST).  So if it's after the cutoff time of 9pm, please post it out in the open thread/forum.  If it's before 9pm EST, please continue sending the normal way, via PM to mulox

Q6: What exactly is this new code management system, and why was it implemented?
A: This new code management system was implemented on 7/12/2015 by mulox with the support of tommythe and newyorker9015.  It was started because many members were frustrated at codes being posted openly in the forum, and others would use them without letting anyone else know. So the next 10-20 members would try to use that code, only to find out it's already been used... it's just that the user did not have the courtesy to post "code was used by me" in the forum.  It was suspected (but we cannot say for sure) that many "lurkers" (people who are not FW members, or are non-contributing members) were leeching the codes, since they cannot post without being a member. The new system was designed to reward valued FW members, eliminate the frustration of used codes, and it works like this:

1. Donors who would otherwise post codes online, now send those codes directly to mulox via PM, where they are stored into a database (NOT all codes, see Q5 above for details)
   2. Mulox will track donors, senior members, etc. and they will be given priority for distribution of codes in the future (see Q7 below for rank/member definitions)
   3. Also, donors will be given other rewards as they become available, such as 10% coupons at Lowes /Home Depot 
   4. Non-senior members who are non-donors will be limited in the # of codes given, at our discretion (see Q7 below for more info)

The main benefit to this new distribution system is that valued members can now get more than 1 code, and they don't have to use it right away. Because of this, it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you do NOT wait until you are standing in front of a kiosk to PM or post asking for a code!  You most likely will not get a fast enough response, as we are not always online sitting here waiting for you to message us (yes, we do have lives outside of FW).  Instead, plan ahead and send your request several days in advance, then store the code(s) on your phone/laptop/paper in your wallet, etc. and use at YOUR convenience.

Q7: LIMITS and RANK DEFINITIONS. Can I get as many codes as I want?  What are member categories/ranks and why do you have them?
A: No.  In order to be fair to all members who are requesting codes, we implemented a sliding scale, rewarding those who donate codes and/or more senior members.  This is also to prevent abuse by members who are not as active on FW or don't contribute/add as much value to FW or this RB thread.  The member ranks/categories are as follows:  

RANK CATEGORY                  DESCRIPTION
Diamond    Donor Has donated many qualified codes, shows genuine interest in this thread, balanced give/take ratio
Platinum Active Very active. Member for more than 1 year and is very active both on FW and in this thread. Has donated some codes.
Gold Standard Average activity. Member for more than 1 year and fairly active on FW
Silver Low Low activity on FW and/or member less than 1 yr
Bronze Inactive New member, or extremely low activity. No FW badges, no donations

NOTE ON LIMITATIONS: 
The standing restriction for Bronze ("Inactive") members is a limit of 1 code every 48 hours, or up to 3-4 codes per week (depends on quantity remaining by end of the week)
For Silver/Low members, the limit is 2 codes per 48 hours, and a limit of 5 codes per week max
The "week" is rolling, so it starts from your last request, not by calendar week
For all others, there is a fluctuating daily/weekly limitation per member and will vary depending on the following 3 factors COMBINED:
Your rank AND the current distribution rate (found in weekly reports) AND the balance (# of codes left)
If you want to learn how to improve your ranking, see the answer to the next question.

Q8: What factors are the member categories based on? How do I improve my ranking?
A: In order to be fair to all members who are requesting codes, we implemented a sliding scale, rewarding those who donate codes and/or more senior members.  This is also to prevent abuse by members who are not as active on FW or don't contribute/add as much value.  The new sliding scale is based on the following factors:  

1. When the member joined FW (how many years)
   2. Overall level of activity, which is a combination of total posts and total badges earned
   3. Level of activity in this Redbox thread. Looking for valued contributions
   4. Number of qualified donations (varies based on value of donation, when/where given, etc.). Read on for more info...

For example, Diamond level is not awarded automatically by simply donating 1-2 codes.  You have to be consistently donating year round, or else your rank will be downgraded. This is more likely to occur if you have been with FW for less than 1 year and have very few posts and/or badges.

Bottom line, you can improve your ranking by becoming more involved in the forums (not just this thread), making valuable contributions (ex. money-saving ideas, sharing coupons), earning FW badges, and donating RB codes.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:

rated:
these codes are one time use per credit card .. once you use one free code with one credit card, you cant reuse it again with the same card

rated:
i hate to be the one asking but how are these codes used?

rated:
you go the redbox, select your movie, add to cart, rent with promo code, type in your code, and follow instructions. you will know if the code works after you swipe your credit card.

rated:
Thanks OP - green for you!

rated:
Link for Redbox locations

edit: don't the guidelines say this should post in the Free Stuff forum?

rated:
kringan said: these codes are one time use per credit card .. once you use one free code with one credit card, you cant reuse it again with the same card

But who really just has one credit card. Not us FW'ers
Thanks OP

rated:
BREAKROOM code worked in CA today 8/6. Thanks OP! Redbox is just $1 but have to return by 7 pm next day!

rated:
kringan said: these codes are one time use per credit card .. once you use one free code with one credit card, you cant reuse it again with the same card

In my case, I used 2 different cards on same day and they later billed me for the second one used..... so be careful....

I did the same thing the next day and again, charged for the other one.... hence I got 4 rentals for $2 (not bad).

rated:

rated:
So do I need to register an account before using the machine? Do I need one account per cc?

rated:
Also, if you go online to their website and enter your cell phone #, they will text message you a code for a free rental every Monday!
SMS Alert

rated:
largeeyes said: So do I need to register an account before using the machine? Do I need one account per cc?

Can anyone help with these pretty basic questions?

Edit: Lots of people on redbox forum talking about using the codes and getting charged anyways....

rated:
largeeyes said: So do I need to register an account before using the machine? Do I need one account per cc?

1)Go to machine
2)Pick movie
3)Swipe card
4)Take movie
5)Watch movie
6)Return movie

At some point during the rental process, it asks for an email address. They will send your rental receipts here. There's really no "account", other than a credit/debit card and the email address associated with it.

rated:
Sanjoelo said: largeeyes said: So do I need to register an account before using the machine? Do I need one account per cc?

1)Go to machine
2)Pick movie
3)Swipe card
4)Take movie
5)Watch movie
6)Return movie

At some point during the rental process, it asks for an email address. They will send your rental receipts here. There's really no "account", other than a credit/debit card and the email address associated with it.

Cool, thanks.

rated:
New Free Rental Code sent to me via email today: DVD123

rated:

Okay, but can you use a different code with the same credit card?

Ex. I already used one of the codes that was emailed to me by Redbox. Can I use another code that they sent me earlier (or one that I find on the insideredbox site) with my same CC or should I use a different CC and email address to be safe??

rated:
Can't find the rent with promo code link on Surf It movie?
What am I doing wrong?

rated:
tania90 said: Can't find the rent with promo code link on Surf It movie?
What am I doing wrong?
You can't use a promo code online. The promo codes can only be entered at the redbox kiosk.

rated:
Borg20001 said: Okay, but can you use a different code with the same credit card?

Ex. I already used one of the codes that was emailed to me by Redbox. Can I use another code that they sent me earlier (or one that I find on the insideredbox site) with my same CC or should I use a different CC and email address to be safe??
It depends on the code. Some codes are for first time customers only. Other codes work for existing customers. If you are an existing customer and enter a first time customer code, the redbox should tell you that the code is invalid or only for first time customers; however, there have been reports of cases where the code has been accepted and then the card was charged anyway.

rated:
I went to Redbox today and they are now saying that they are holding $10/transaction on a credit card. When did they start this? This was at McDonald's Redbox.

rated:
Another code - FREE2. Valid until 10/29

rated:
Another free code: HOLIDAY
Expires: 1/8/8

rated:
HOLIDAY worked for m. Thanks for sharin!
We saw Oceans Thirteen for $0.

rated:
TeamAllen said: HOLIDAY worked for m. Thanks for sharin!
We saw Oceans Thirteen for $0.

HOLIDAY also worked for me today.

rated:
HOLIDAY worked just fine two nights ago! Thanks for the code. Here's today's code (it's for Mondays ONLY):

K22GB7

Enjoy!!!

rated:
HOLIDAY expires 01/08/08 (at least this time around.)

rated:
signup at www.redbox.com with your cell number and they will text you a code every monday.

rated:
pctecguy said: signup at www.redbox.com with your cell number and they will text you a code every monday.
I did that a few weeks back, nothing yet sadly.

rated:
I used code earlier but they charged my credit card. Not worth the time to call

rated:
"breakroom" still works as of yesterday

i receieved emails saying that it will authorize only but 14 days later, it will reverse it for no charge.

rated:
"breakroom" still works as of today 1/12/08

rated:
DVDONME is still working too. I think I used it couple of months ago with a different CC (but I was not sure) and when I used DVDONME with a new CC it worked!!

rated:
soupcxan said: "breakroom" still works as of today 1/12/08BREAKROOM & DVDONME havr been working for the past year

rated:
Got an email from REDBOX:
Ummm, that code redbox sent last week? NEWYEAR? You know the one that, like, didn't work? Well, redbox wants to make it up to you. So if you try NEWYEAR again, it will definitely work. And because redbox feels especially bad, please accept another code good for one night's free rental. How about, oh, OOPS? Seems about right. Both codes are good through 1/14/08. Thanks for your patience. And, again, sorry for any inconvenience.
Planning on trying both codes tomorrow.

rated:
Did Redbox for the first time today. Very pleased, quick, easy and a good selection of newer titles. Thanks for this thread and the codes. Green to op.

rated:
Anybody have today's free monday code?

rated:
Today's code is 33MM6L

Skipping 6216 Messages...
rated:
Mulox said:   
riznick said:   Apparently the mods have decided that ALL free redbox coupons should go here than their own threads. I think that is a bad decision. The multi-use coupons also deserve their own threads (as well as being listed here). In those threads, we can redirect people here, but those threads shouldn't be locked.

This has always been a highly controversial and hotly debated issue for FW... and not just with Redbox codes, but I am talking about all topics across all threads (ex. Official Target thread, Official Office Depot thread, etc.)
I am on the fence and I do see pros/cons to both sides of it, but I have come to realize you will never appease to everyone due to how sensitive each camp is in defending their reasoning/advantages

The pros to posting in multiple places is that it creates visibility to folks that simply are not aware of the "official" thread (even though a search would probably get there)
The pros to locking threads and keeping things consolidated is that it keeps things tidy for FW and less messy/confusing for users trying to browse for stuff... and it keeps the repost police happy

Maybe by allowing the thread to stand (vs. just deleting it completely) and then locking it, that is sufficient visibility?  I think that creates a bit of balance to hopefully can make both sides content.  I am sure there are other advantages for each side that I am missing...

The best choice to make all camps happy is not to lock the threads of any posted deals that are hot and not duplicates (being in a master thread isn't a duplicate).  They should let them live or die on their own. This has been a pet peeve for years with FW, and I get really upset when it happens.  The mods used to be open minded about it, but now it seems they are moving forward with a poisonous policy.  

Locking the thread removes it's visibility.  The same thread on another deals site had like 5 pages of results.  Here, there were 0 pages of results because it was locked.  Guess which site I find way more deals at? (it starts with an S).

Why shouldn't they lock the threads?
1. The deals become hidden when locked and bumped off the page.
2. The person making the effort to post the deal gets frustrated and upset and less motivated to post more deals.
3. Master Threads require the users to open a thread with 283493749327403 posts, and go to the last page and look for a deal that may or may not exist.  But not only that, they probably need to go back a few pages and look at each post also for the deal that might not have been discussed on the last page.
4. Many of us just look at thread titles to see if there's a hot deal or not.  If a deal is hot, it deserves it's own thread with the deal in the title.

Now if this thread was titled "REDBOX Free Codes" and had codes 24/7 (which it kinda is), then it might make sense to force all codes here.  I enjoy the system that we have and am completely happy having to register, but we should also keep in mind that some people are not so willing to register.  It wouldn't be 24/7 free codes for them, but rather only the multiuse codes for them.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 2345157
  • Page
  • Next 40

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016