Voting History
rated:
New Eyes for the Needy purchases prescription eyeglasses for indigent
Americans through a well-established voucher program. Eligible
clients can receive a voucher through a social service agency or a
school nurse, or directly from our office. Clients can present a New
Eyes voucher to any participating local optical dispenser, who fits
the client with the proper prescription eyeglasses. The dispenser
then receives reimbursement directly from New Eyes.

Who Is Eligible?
New Eyes for the Needy purchases new prescription eyeglasses for low-
income individuals in the US through a voucher program. To be
eligible for our program, applicants must:
Be in financial need.

Have had a recent eye exam. New Eyes does not pay for eye exams.
Click here if you need assistance in locating a source of free or low-
cost eye exams.

Have no other resources available to them to pay for glasses,
including federal or state programs or assistance from local
charitable organizations.
A New Eyes voucher typically covers only the cost of a basic pair of
single or bifocal eyeglasses.

Who Is Considered to be in Financial Need?
In general, applicants should have incomes at or below the U.S.
poverty guidelines:

Family Size Monthly Income
1 $ 817
2 $1,100
3 $1,383
4 $1,667
5 $1,950
6 $2,233
http://neweyesfortheneedy.com/us/us.html

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Thanx OP! Will help the ones who are in need!
Great work, Greenz for ya!

This is just right for me, thanks OP!

Thanks. I've posted a link to this thread at QueenieB's Resources for Free/Low Cost Medical Dental and Vision Treatment thread.

Nice idea, the problem is the eye exam. You can get a pair of glasses for $30, the exam is the expensive part.

SARABRIANNE said: Nice idea, the problem is the eye exam. You can get a pair of glasses for $30, the exam is the expensive part.

I've seen companies that do cheap eye exams hoping you'll be a customer for the glasses. Cohen's optical in the New York City area has $20 eye exams every once in a while with a coupon from their site.

For cheap glasses:
http://www.zennioptical.com - starting at $8.00 a pair with $4.95 flat shipping for as many pairs as you want. I have two $8 pairs from them and they are just fine. Splurge on the anti-glare coating, especially if you compute often! I don't think they ever verified my prescription either, so if you must use an old one, you should be good.

And wow, those income limits are lower than the rent for a single bedroom in my city.

Serially? How would any one survive for these threadhold?

Fennville said: Family Size Monthly Income
1 $ 817
2 $1,100
3 $1,383
4 $1,667
5 $1,950
6 $2,233

m123456890 said: Serially? How would any one survive for these threadhold?

1 $ 817
2 $1,100
3 $1,383
4 $1,667
5 $1,950
6 $2,233

It's sounds strange but in alot of cases it's true. I've heard a few well off people speak bad of the less fortunate. I thought that was horrible. The thing is, it could happen to anyone at a wink of an eye.

purpleladee said: m123456890 said: Serially? How would any one survive for these threadhold?

1 $ 817
2 $1,100
3 $1,383
4 $1,667
5 $1,950
6 $2,233

It's sounds strange but in alot of cases it's true. I've heard a few well off people speak bad of the less fortunate. I thought that was horrible. The thing is, it could happen to anyone at a wink of an eye.

You find a way. I am in the first category, single person with income under $817. A drunk driver put me there. I was very lucky to get Social Security Disabilty Insurance on initial application, without being turned-down for appeal. I was also lucky to get into subsidized housing within a few months, only because a brand new building opened in my town for low-income seniors, and I learned that disabled individuals of any age are also eligible. I rely on freebies to supply me with stuff, so I have more money for others. And I get help from govt and charitable programs, when I can. Knights of Columbus recently helped me replace my dead 10+ yo PaceSaver mobility scooter, with a new Invacare deluxe floor-model.

I pay $40 for a vision refraction exam, Medicare pays for the visual fields and retina exam, and glaucoma check. My current frames are Calvin Klein designer frames for $30 from an eay liquidater. I had to scrape up money for lens's, then I got my first bi-focals. I need new glasses, but can't afford the $40 exam, plus lens's at the same time, so I might look into this. Lions Club helps with screenings and exams, and they donate used frames, but rarely help with lens's. They simply don't have the funds. Maryland's CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program) provides glasses to needy children who qualify, but there is no assistance for adults who receive Medicare and Medical Asistance.

A lot of the elderly in my building, can barely afford food, let alone new glasses. So this would help many of them. Clients at the family and crises pregnancy center that my mom helped found, are another group this information might help. A lot of these people had sudden events that unexpectedly pushed them over-the-edge financially. The working single and two-parent household with kids, that has an unexpected event, and suddenly finds themselves in financial crises. Judging from what my mother tells me of the types of clients coming in, it's happening more and more. What started as a basic crises pregnancy center, now provides assistance to parents and guardians of children up to age 7. Material and financial are the biggest needs. Children's clothing, new toys, baby supplies, counseling for parents, including referals to social service agencies and other charitable resources are other support systems offered.

ThursdaysChild said: Thanks. I've posted a link to this thread at QueenieB's Resources for Free/Low Cost Medical Dental and Vision Treatment thread.

Thanks, OP & TC. Life's been hectic and I haven't kept that up as I should, so I really appreciate your efforts.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014