• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Since this is a pretty active forum, a lot of folks thought it might be useful to compile a list of sites that offer fake freebies. Sometimes the freebie just doesn't come for whatever reason. But a lot of times, they're phishing sites, address harvesting sites, or just flat-out scammers. Hopefully, if enough people find this list useful, it can become a sticky for members to check first before posting, thus cutting down on the number of illegitimate deals we see pop up over & over & over (freebeermug.com comes to mind...).

I'll start with what I've been able to find elsewhere so far... please feel free to comment with suggestions of sites to add to or remove from this list. I'll do my best to keep it updated in this first post. Thanks!

Please do not post or sign up for freebies from the following sites...
The freebies will never come.

1twofree.com
aj-tuning.com/gift.html
angelaledcke.com
angelaslittlecreations.piczo.com
babytobee.com
bannershack-n-more.piczo.com
boafnetwork.com
bobbleheadies.com
brandarama.com
buydehydratedwater.com/free.htm
Candlesunlimited.com
Candlesunlimited2005
candy-lovers.com
celebdish.net
cleanyourscreen.com
clearancecrazy.com
click-see-save.com
cool-free-samples.com
cubebix.com - free compressed t-shirt
dailyhousetips.com
digilake.com
easybakeware.com
feiyacosmetics.com/exclusive2.htm
flaverco.com
fleecho.com
flutterBugs.piczo.com
foreverlitesandgifts.com
freebeachball.com
free-beauty-samples.com
freebeermug.com
free-boxers.com
free-lingerie.com
free-lipstick.com
freeperfumesamples.com
freestressballs.com
free-thongs.com
freewebs.com/babyretreat
freewebs.com/bloominbarnyard
freewebs.com/ourforevergifts
goofygiggles.com
haydeechocolatier.com
heavenly-recipes.com
helpudiet.com
Hermitandfriends.com
hotexas.com
holidaysathome.com
holiday-giveaways.com
householdsavingsclub.com
IMIBN.com
kcweb.com
keyeni.com
littlethings.myphotoalbum.com
lootpig.com
lose-weight-online.com
lost-survivors.com
lowcarbtina.com
mailfinity.net
metelle.com/lipbalm.php
mirthfulchildren.com
NameSecure.com
ohshot.com
Oohlalacafe
Ourforevergifts.com
petrix.com/shirt/items.htm
pixustudio.com
qualityhealth.com
shop/angelaledcke.com
simplicityshop.biz
splendiddelites.com/Free_sample.htm (Crownies)
squeezeyourstress.com/
stock23.com
sunusb.com
sutterscreek.com (aka Blue Bayou, LLC)
Unlimitedgiftshop
usbforfree.com
weirdfragrances.com
winperfume.com
yourproductsamples.com

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
How ironic that this thread has become a magnet for spammers to post in.

PML (Dec. 11, 2009 @ 5:25a) |

Why is this thread no longer a sticky?

fivetalents (Dec. 13, 2009 @ 11:04a) |

Perhaps because it's rarely posted in (except by spammers)?

PML (Dec. 13, 2009 @ 11:08a) |

Some tipoffs are how recent the site is, the fact that it isn't affiliated with the manufacturer, that it adds weird disclaimers that basically absolve them of sending you anything, among other things. To further confirm my suspicions, I do a network 'whois' search. You will see others do this too, they use an online tool that allows them to research the domain. Here are a few I use, the first I have had/used the longest.

Domain Dossier

ARIN Whois

All Nettools Smart Whois

With any of the above, enter the IP address of the offer in the dialogue box, and click submit. You get a complete history of the domain, who created it, when it was created, the server hosting it. Anything new with 1 year or less licenses is most likely a fraud, intended to harvest for spam, or phish for information.

There are a lot of bogus offers being put up on the intrawebs lately, obviously intended to sucker in the clueless with a freebie. Chances are, if it's not the manufacturer, or a reputable company authorized by the manufacturer (Like WalMart, StartSampling, etc.), it's a fake offer.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

quality health

stock23.com comes to my mind as well as the Free compressed tshirt from cubebix.com people keep posting.

Barbiedawl said: quality health

Is it qualityhealth.com?

This should get a sticky.. Thanks.

digelt said: Barbiedawl said: quality health

Is it qualityhealth.com?

Once in a while you'll get a small sample from QH, but it's not worth the hoops they make you jump and the spam they send.

Boogity boo!

QH usually only sends the sample if you qualify for their other offers. you also get a ton of spam!

I think you should add Verisign as well.
They must have had ten free USB drive promos and none of them ever came!

Leatherface00 said: provigal said: digelt said: Barbiedawl said: quality health

Is it qualityhealth.com?

Once in a while you'll get a small sample from QH, but it's not worth the hoops they make you jump and the spam they send.

Well, if they do send samples, then they shouldn't be on the list. If people are willing to jump through hoops, then it's a legitimate freebie.

If you count them, then half the ones on the list are 'legitimate freebies', yet most on nearly every forum don't think so. It's the hoops you have to jumo through that make them not actually free. here is how they work:

You click on to sign-up for offer. You get a page with a bunch of offers for which you must click 'yes' or 'no' to. Once you have done that, you may go through another 2 to five pages like that. Think you are done? Not yet! Even though they say you are almost finished. Now they take you to the 'silver level page'. You absolutely must click yes to a minimum of number of offers they specify. These are credit card offers, trial subscription to magazines, book clubs, movie clubs, music clubs, or something else.

Those offers must be completed according to the regulations. You must actually receive the credit card, and/or actually signed-up and paid the fee for the trial membership, to qualify for the freebie. This repeats itself on the next page with the 'gold offers', and then on yet another page with the 'platinum ones'. Each level has requirements that you must meet to get the so-called 'freebie', which makes them freebies not at all. In the meantime, you have spent a good portion of your time wading through pages of offers to which you must click 'yes' pr 'no' to. A half-hour or more for a freebie you may not get anyway.

By the time you are done, you have signed up, and paid for, various trial-memberships, which you cannot cancel, until the trial is about to expire. And if you forget to cancel during that usual 7-day window they give you, you end up getting billed for membership, because when you signed-up, you authorized them to bill your chosen method of payment. The places you sign-up for, report back to them if you met the requirements for signing up. This can take as long as 6 months. Some never report that you met the requirements. It only takes one affiliate not reporting back, for you to lose out on the freebie. Way too iffy. And you have spent a few dollars or more along the way.

That's why many of these are not legitimate freebies. I got a sample from Quality Health when they first started, and I signed up. It took a year to get here. It was a pocket-pack of kleenex tissues. Since then, they have been doing the going through hoops by signing-up for this or that crap. And they spam you like crazy with more hoop jumping offers from their affiliates.

EDIT to add to the clueless neggers of this post, according to FW's own FAQ, Quality Health and the others on the list that make you jump hoops, are NOT freebies. How about reading the FAQ before negging? If you want access to these offers, Google the sites in the list digelt created, spend 20 minutes + signing-up for just one of them, and I guarantee the others will quickly find their way to your inbox, in droves. They don't belong on FW, and I explained why, if you have a problem with that, then try posting a constructive post as to why. Unless you can contribute to the discussion constructively, your neg votes are essentially meaningless, as there is no rational or understanding behind them. The same goes for you negging digelt for this thread.

<---Getting tired of the idiotic voting that goes on here by people with no spine hiding behind their votes, who say nothing and mostly contribute nothing.

There's one for the free shaker from kahlua. That never comes. So old never came. And that verisign usb flash drive it does come, i have a 2GB

dairymtu said: There's one for the free shaker from kahlua. That never comes.

I got my shaker! Yahoody! It's the cutest little thing...

Brandarama

How to spot a possible fake scamming, spam harvesting, phishing website.

This information is copied and pasted from another thread where the OP asked how to determine the validity of some of the questionable ones out there

SweetClover said: Some tipoffs are how recent the site is, the fact that it isn't affiliated with the manufacturer, that it adds weird disclaimers that basically absolve them of sending you anything, among other things. To further confirm my suspicions, I do a network 'whois' search. You will see others do this too, they use an online tool that allows them to research the domain. Here are a few I use, the first I have had/used the longest.

Domain Dossier

ARIN Whois

All Nettools Smart Whois

With any of the above, enter the IP address of the offer in the dialogue box, and click submit. You get a complete history of the domain, who created it, when it was created, the server hosting it. Anything new with 1 year or less licenses is most likely a fraud, intended to harvest for spam, or phish for information.

There are a lot of bogus offers being put up on the intrawebs lately, obviously intended to sucker in the clueless with a freebie. Chances are, if it's not the manufacturer, or a reputable company authorized by the manufacturer (Like WalMart, StartSampling, etc.), it's a fake offer.

MumzOf2 said: (username removed), after a while you'll know a bad site just by looking at it and it will prompt you to look up the domain. I can't explain it, but the site will just have a look to it. Google ADS..if it's a site only a few days old usually by weeks end it will be full of Google Ad Sense, a full size product too good to be true type of thing, the graphics, etc.. Plus at the bottom of the page it will say not endorsed by such and such company like one other member mentioned.
Some bad phishing sites are better at making their site look more professional, but usually a few links will always be "under construction."

SweetClover said: And to add, if you have any doubt, those Whois domain searches will give you lots of clues. I keep them bookmarked, so I have access to them at any given time. MumzOf2 is right, the site will just look 'off' for some reason, usually cheap layout, and such. A legitimate site will have a professional layout to it. These phishing/scamming/spamming sites, all are very amateurish looking. Some of these have been around for years, though, so sometimes you only find out by experience. KCWEB is an example of this. They've been scamming and spamming since I went online 10 years ago.

iowahawkeye said: Brandarama
Boy, you ain't kidding! I'll add it right now.

dairymtu said: There's one for the free shaker from kahlua. That never comes. So old never came. And that verisign usb flash drive it does come, i have a 2GB
Anyone else want to add to whether the kahlua deal is legit or not? I haven't been able to come up with any feedback online that suggests it's a scam.

Now that verisign one... I think you're in a very small (and lucky) minority, dairymtu. I did a bit of research on that one, and found page after page of people complaining that they'd signed up many times for that freebie and got nothing but spam, unwelcome phone calls, and headaches.

dairymtu said: There's one for the free shaker from kahlua. That never comes. So old never came.

i was pleasantly surprised when it did came in the snail mail to my house... nice chrome/ stainless steel mini shaker too!

I never got my shaker and boy a white russian blended with kahlua, french vanilla ice cream and grey goose will certainly chase your spam blues away. don't forget to coat your glass rim with sugar,(or perhaps one of those samples of flavored splenda etc. that we have so many of) UMM UMM good!! How long ago did y'all get the shaker? I just thought of one that should be added -whoever is offering the gay wooden skull air freshener, I need to know if anyone ever got it after literally years of being posted.

Got my free shaker from Kahlua too. Used it, even, it's a handy little thing. I've even ordered labels from them for Christmas gift bottles from a freebie on here.

thenona said: How long ago did y'all get the shaker?

It was a loooong ways back; whenever that posting was here on FW, maybe six weeks after the initial post...

One would be wise to also avoid a company called Sutter Creek Gifts. They also go by the name Blue Bayou, LLC.

If you're curious a Google search will give you some of the details.

TeresaDoddridge said: One would be wise to also avoid a company called Sutter Creek Gifts. They also go by the name Blue Bayou, LLC.

Agreed! That's the one who's name escaped me, that the current Digilake threads reminded me of. I couldn'[t remember the name, but they had several free gifts that never came, one was the glass pickle ornaments. They turned out to be spammers, scammers and phishers. The guy made bucks by selling your info. This one most definitely belongs on the list. Thanks for bringing that up, TeresaDoddridge.

As far as the Kahlua and Verisign offers, these are legitimate companies. And the offers were limited to the first X number of requests submitted. That means that a lot of people are simply not going to get the freebie, only a very lucky few. It is really hard to get the freebie, when it is restricted to the first 50 or 200. Some of these freebies are giveaway contests, and not everyone is going to win the freebie. This thread is about pointing out those who consistently don't deliver ever, despite repeated offers. A lot of members have requested something like this, and digelt has taken on the responsibility for updating and maintaining the thread for the benefit of members.

It is certainly good to discuss giveaways like Kahlua and Verisign, and get feedback from members as to whether they received anything or not. We rely on reports from others who receive freebies, to determine if it is a valid one or not. Definitely bring your comments/concerns to the table, and seek feedback from fellow members. You may not have gotten the freebie, no one you know may have either, but with only 50 or 200 available, someone on FW may have received the freebie.

TeresaDoddridge said: One would be wise to also avoid a company called Sutter Creek Gifts. They also go by the name Blue Bayou, LLC.

I took your advice and googled this company, and boy did I get a laugh out of some of the things I found!!

They are DEFINITELY going on the list.

SweetClover said: As far as the Kahlua and Verisign offers, these are legitimate companies. And the offers were limited to the first X number of requests submitted. That means that a lot of people are simply not going to get the freebie, only a very lucky few. It is really hard to get the freebie, when it is restricted to the first 50 or 200. Some of these freebies are giveaway contests, and not everyone is going to win the freebie. This thread is about pointing out those who consistently don't deliver ever, despite repeated offers. A lot of members have requested something like this, and digelt has taken on the responsibility for updating and maintaining the thread for the benefit of members.

I was pretty surprised to see verisign brought up, because they're obviously a legitimate company. But I did a fair bit of research yesterday and was shocked by all the complaints I saw in a number of places on the web where people were saying they never got the freebies despite being in the first however many responders, and instead getting nothing but a great deal of spam and unwanted phone calls (which, despite only a few people getting the shaker, wasn't the case with Kahlua). What I may do is leave verisign on the list and just advise that supplies are very, very limited and to sign up at your own risk.

New freestuff site from russia for worlwide: freestuffok.com - with photos of receiving freebie!!

hibinyru, are you saying that this new site should be avoided? Have you had experience with them?

thank you this is great! I am not too computer/internet savvy so this is good to know. thank you!

I got the Kahlua shaker (as someone posted they've never gotten)...and I know I've gotten others that people have said never come, as well as not gotten some that people have said do. I think some of them its most probably just hit and miss, especially with the bigger name companies that are clearly legitimate and known...

excellent idea! thx op

digelt said: hibinyru, are you saying that this new site should be avoided? Have you had experience with them?
I say that is new website about freestuff. I like it

never got my shaker, but it appears some did

This one, http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/free.htm. It's a hoax/spoof, but people keep posting it thinking it's real. The mods move it to OT, because even they know there is no freebie here. There is no such thing as dehydrated water, but the website is entertaining reading nonetheless. It makes its rounds every few months or so, and is almost always posted by a person who is not only new to FW, but relatively new to the internet and world wide web in general. It looks very real and convincing, cleverly done to fool people.

SweetClover said: This one, http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/free.htm. It's a hoax/spoof, but people keep posting it thinking it's real. The mods move it to OT, because even they know there is no freebie here. There is no such thing as dehydrated water, but the website is entertaining reading nonetheless. It makes its rounds every few months or so, and is almost always posted by a person who is not only new to FW, but relatively new to the internet and world wide web in general. It looks very real and convincing, cleverly done to fool people.

This is so funny I think I signed up for this a loooong time ago. Didn't really think about it at the time. I got a good laugh out of reading the website. Technically everything they say is true. "Dehydrated water is compact, lightweight, easy to store, and perfect to take wherever you go. It's free of toxins, chemicals, lead, minerals, and almost every other dangerous substance you can think of." Hahaha yeah when you're talking about *nothing* that is all true.

Ah, yes. I've seen that one posted more than once. And every time it makes me go "Buh??"

I'll definitely add it and hope against hope that someone clueless enough to post it would think enough to even check this post. But hey, you never know!

While I certainly agree with having a list of unlegit sites for easy reference, on a personal level, one can take it a step further:

To protect your identities, why not give out a fictional name, phone # and email address when completing freebie forms? That's what I do. The only real thing on that form is my address and that's not usually a problem since any unethical company out there looking to collect/sell your personal info can't do it by address alone. They have to have a name attached to it. They can buy and sell my fake info from now till Christmas and it doesn't bother me. They can also go ahead and spam the hell out of an email address that doesn't really exist if it makes them happy.

Case in point, I did receive a subscription to some book club I never signed up for a while back with obligations to buy another 12 books or something and all I did was call them up and tell them that the person they were trying to bill did not live here. If they wanted to keep sending me books for free, great; I could always use some kindle for my little wood stove. They acted insulted and stopped delivering books in a hurry. If that had been my real name, I would have had one hell of a time getting my name removed, regardless of not having signed up with them in the first place.
I also received more than one credit card offer under my alias and was sorely tempted to fill them out with some weird crap and see how quickly they'd turn me down. Or worse yet, approve me.

My point is that I never asked for credit cards or to join any book clubs but if there are shitty companies out there ready to sell my personal info in a flash, then it's my job to protect myself as best I can.

Important to know is that most legit freebie companies like WalMart.com will send you a sample, hope you like it, and buy the real deal from the store, which is what I've done many times. But nowhere in that process is my real name or phone # of any significance or importance so they shouldn't miss it if I don't provide it accurately. I usually don't bother with freebies that require a confirmation via email, and only if I really, really want whatever they're offering, will I provide my spam dedicated email address. I did have discussions with some who thought my mentality a bit bent and unethical, but since there are no strict guidelines on how our personal info is used, sold, borrowed, traded and literally crapped on, I'll just manage to live with the guilt, and keep doing what I'm doing.

Anyway, the phone# I use is 310-217-7638. The message is pretty funny. It's also my little way of giving them the finger.

Hope this helps someone...

I don't ever provide my real phone number, I use my old number which is disconnected (so I don't cause someone else to receive all kinds of phone calls). I've always provided my real name though. I'm not sure, yet, what I think about providing a false name. I'll think about it.

Kitrina said: I don't ever provide my real phone number, I use my old number which is disconnected (so I don't cause someone else to receive all kinds of phone calls).
I do the very same thing.

Thanks for the response "Kitrina" and "digelt". Using an old, disconnected number is pretty neat. Unfortunately I've had the same phone number for more than nine years so I can't do that. The number I posted above leads to a message so whomever is calling will know right away it's not real. I also never under any circumstances post my cell number.

Using a different name or not is really your choice. As I said, for me it's another level of protection. I've been signing up for stuff for a long time with an alias without any problems. Since the mailman in my area is a buddy of mine, he eventually wanted to know who the heck the guy getting all the mail and packages at my address was. When I explained to him, he had a good laugh but agreed that there is nothing wrong with it. He mentioned that unless a package or letter is certified one way or another and they have to see an ID to release it, on all other mail, the name on the envelope means nothing to them. They usually deliver mail by address alone.

Strangely enough, I have never had any problems with receiving spam in my email until last week when I completed one of them surveys on my WalMart receipt. Supposedly, I'd get a chance to win a $1000 WalMart Gift Card or some shit. In less than 24hrs I went from 2 new email messages in my mailbox to 108. Been unsubscribing from them the whole week. Really pissed me off. Needless to say, I've been buying my Nutty Bars from Giant this week. What assholes...

I also received my little Kahlua shaker which I use. I have also ordered and received personalized labels from them for gift bottles.
So I will keep going to that site.

d1sturbdapeace said: I think you should add Verisign as well.
They must have had ten free USB drive promos and none of them ever came!

I just got one of these recently. The drive was tiny, but it was free. It's all about when you receive the mailer, and how quickly you respond. It's certainly a crap shoot, but you have a better chance of getting something from Verisign than you do from Nursery Water... Now THERE is one freebie site I never want to see again!

Skipping 80 Messages...
fivetalents said: Why is this thread no longer a sticky?

Perhaps because it's rarely posted in (except by spammers)?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014