• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Free University Courses from MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology).
If you ever wanted to study anything in college, visit this website. Almost every course taught at MIT is available online for free to the public. You can't get a degree with these courses and you won't have access to the instructors, but the vast amount of knowledge is amazing. These are the actual courses taught at the University...Architecture, Math, Engineering, Literature, Business Management, Biology...plus hundreds more. They even have older courses archived. All the course study materials, course outlines, etc.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

Sloan School of Management(at MIT) offers courses in: Accounting, Communication, Finance, Health Care Management, Information Technologies, International Management, Law, Leadership Marketing,
Operations Management,Technology,Innovation and Entrepreneurship, more.
These ARE the same courses that you would get at the University, except you don't get credit or have access to the instructors. Don't sell these short, you get:
Syllabus
Course syllabi typically contain information such as the course description and objectives, as well as textbooks used in the course, a calendar of lectures and homework, collaboration guidelines, and grading criteria.

Lecture Notes
Lecture notes are the backbone of MIT OpenCourseWare and are extremely popular with visitors. They provide an excellent opportunity for reviewing material while providing alternate explanations of concepts. About 80% of OCW courses include lecture notes.

Assignments
Many OCW courses provide complete, detailed problem sets and solutions. About 93% of OCW courses include assignments.

Exams
Exams and solutions allow users to test their knowledge. They provide educators with a rich source of materials to use in their own classrooms. Almost 60% of courses on OCW with exams have them published on the site, and almost half of these feature solutions.

Audio and Video Lectures
Some courses contain full or exemplary audio and video lectures. These lectures provide a glimpse into MIT classrooms, and are some of the most popular features of OCW.
1800 Courses Available
Courses by Department

* Aeronautics and Astronautics
* Anthropology
* Architecture
* Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation
* Biological Engineering
* Biology
* Brain and Cognitive Sciences
* Chemical Engineering
* Chemistry
* Civil and Environmental Engineering
* Comparative Media Studies
* Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences
* Economics
* Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
* Engineering Systems Division
* Experimental Study Group
* Foreign Languages and Literatures
* Health Sciences and Technology
* History
* Linguistics and Philosophy
* Literature
* Materials Science and Engineering
* Mathematics
* Mechanical Engineering
* Media Arts and Sciences
* Music and Theater Arts
* Nuclear Science and Engineering
* Physics
* Political Science
* Science, Technology, and Society
* Sloan School of Management
* Special Programs
* Urban Studies and Planning
* Women's and Gender Studies
* Writing and Humanistic Studies
You can even take individual languages, Spanish, French, Chinese, others
MIT OpenCourseWare has formally partnered with four organizations that are translating OCW course materials into Spanish, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Thai.

120 New Courses click on NEW COURSES on upper left side to see the new offerings

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Relax, take a deep breath and let's start from the beginning.
go to: http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm
1. ... (more)

rubadub1902 (May. 07, 2009 @ 10:08p) |

Massachusetts Institute of Technology, since I haven't seen it actually posted.

smd61 (May. 07, 2009 @ 10:14p) |

Did you read the title or the intro? Massachusetts Institute of Technology is in both

rubadub1902 (May. 08, 2009 @ 10:29a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Never heard of this "MIT" is this even close to the quality education that Sally Struthers offers?

I have checked this out before and it's pretty neat!

Thanks.

old story~~

Wow! Great find. I didn't know this existed.

Great find! Thanks!

Kingofthenet said: Never heard of this "MIT" is this even close to the quality education that Sally Struthers offers?
Never heard of MIT, are you from this earth?

ha ha, he or she might want to take a course there....

tsanju said: Kingofthenet said: Never heard of this "MIT" is this even close to the quality education that Sally Struthers offers?

I'm pretty sure the dude was joking.

mpkb said: tsanju said: Kingofthenet said: Never heard of this "MIT" is this even close to the quality education that Sally Struthers offers?

I'm pretty sure the dude was joking.

As am I.

This is hardly Free University courses though, its more free information. You don't get anything from the open course ware except knowledge. It is old though, this has been around for at least a year or two. They are constantly adding more information too, so if you don't see anything now you can wait a while and look again later.

Interesting, I did not know about this. TY

I have to disagree, these ARE the same courses that you would get at the University, except you don't get credit or have access to the instructors. Don't sell these short, you get:
Syllabus
Course syllabi typically contain information such as the course description and objectives, as well as textbooks used in the course, a calendar of lectures and homework, collaboration guidelines, and grading criteria.

Lecture Notes
Lecture notes are the backbone of MIT OpenCourseWare and are extremely popular with visitors. They provide an excellent opportunity for reviewing material while providing alternate explanations of concepts. About 80% of OCW courses include lecture notes.

Assignments
Many OCW courses provide complete, detailed problem sets and solutions. About 93% of OCW courses include assignments.

Exams
Exams and solutions allow users to test their knowledge. They provide educators with a rich source of materials to use in their own classrooms. Almost 60% of courses on OCW with exams have them published on the site, and almost half of these feature solutions.

Audio and Video Lectures
Some courses contain full or exemplary audio and video lectures. These lectures provide a glimpse into MIT classrooms, and are some of the most popular features of OCW.

Worth checking out, thanks OP

Superb find! TKS!

do you earn credits for this courses?

Very cool. Thanks! I need to brush up on math.

Here is a list of other US Universities participating in Open Courseware. Here's the link to the OpenCourseWare Consortium OCW

United States

College of Eastern UtahCollege of Eastern Utah RSS Feed.
Dixie State College of UtahDixie State College of Utah RSS Feed.
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public HealthJohns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health RSS Feed.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyMassachusetts Institute of Technology RSS Feed.
Michigan State University
Tufts UniversityTufts University RSS Feed.
UC BerkeleyUC Berkeley RSS Feed.
University of California, IrvineUniversity of California, Irvine RSS Feed.
University of Massachusetts BostonUniversity of Massachusetts Boston RSS Feed.
University of Michigan
University of Notre DameUniversity of Notre Dame RSS Feed.
University of UtahUniversity of Utah RSS Feed.
Utah State UniversityUtah State University RSS Feed.
Utah Valley State College
Weber State UniversityWeber State University RSS Feed.
Western Governors UniversityWestern Governors University RSS Feed.
Wheelock College

NikkiD said: do you earn credits for this courses?

No, but you can use these to prepare for any of the CLEP exams. You can take the CLEP for about $75 and earn from 3 to 12 credits to apply to your degree.

Dougie187 said: It is old though, this has been around for at least a year or two. They are constantly adding more information too, so if you don't see anything now you can wait a while and look again later.

actually, they make a point of updating a certain number of courses every year in rotation, so no classes are older than 3 or 4 years old.

charlyking said: old story~~
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/free-stuff/582547

I just happened to have it hanging around in my bookmarks. Still worth a new post once in awhile, though!

At present there is an MIT class ring (brass rat) on sale on eBay. If you take enough courses to graduate, you can even get a school ring.

Very useful for those of us going back to school! Thanks for the links OpenCourseWare Consortium.

This is like 4 years old now.

Thank you very much! i will def take advantage of these free courses

For newbie like me this is new

Thanks...Some of us do love to learn even if we don't end up with a diploma to paste on the wall!

This is very cool - maybe it's been around for a while, but I'd never heard of it. Thanks for the link!

This is FANTASTIC!!! There are 1800 courses. WOW!!! Thanks Rub
This is the best Freebie on this site!

You cannot take Spanish at home. Darn need this since there are so many hispanic people in our area. Anyone know where I can do a free online class in it.

They don't have Spanish online. Does anyone know where I can take a free online Spanish class?

great for kids...these got me through high school calculus

these are some really good teachers too!

PatandSassy said: You cannot take Spanish at home. Darn need this since there are so many hispanic people in our area. Anyone know where I can do a free online class in it.
Yes, they do have Spanish, French, Chinese, others.
Go to the courses listing, click on Humanities, Arts & Social Sciences. Then, click on Foreign Languages and Literature. Scroll down to Spanish and choose any of the courses.

I did this. Then I downloaded it but nothing or no way would it open on my Windows Vista Ultima. Is there a way to take this class online here without downloading it?

On the upper right is a contact us button. click on it and tell them your problem and they should get back to you in a day or so.

MIT OpenCourseWare has formally partnered with four organizations that are translating OCW course materials into Spanish, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Thai.

PatandSassy said: Date Posted: March 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM PatandSassy said: You know when I click on that class it takes me to a page already in all Spanish. Well when you want to learn it is not beneficial to have an entire page in spanish. We have SO many hispanic people living where I do in WA state that I really want to learn.

You went to the wrong page. Let's start over
1. Click on the main link: MIT OCW home page
2. Upper left side click on view all 1800 courses
3. This opens page Courses by Department
4. Scroll down to Foreign Languages and Literature and click on Spanish 1 Fall 2003
5. When page opens, on the right side click on download course materials and you're set to go

lol i subscribed to the mit youtube chan awhile ago so i can get all the lectures much easier

This is cool. It's too bad they don't offer any sign language courses! I would love that.

Skipping 27 Messages...
smd61 said: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, since I haven't seen it actually posted.
Did you read the title or the intro? Massachusetts Institute of Technology is in both

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.