• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
trksh22 said: This is cool. It's too bad they don't offer any sign language courses! I would love that.

They don't, but here is a resource for you:
American Sign Language University American Sign Language
ASL University is an online curriculum resource for American Sign Language students, instructors, interpreters, and parents of deaf children.

Feel free to use the various lessons and resources for self-study at no cost. There is no need to register or pay. These resources are free for your personal study. If you are a teacher, you have permission to use the lessons to teach your in-person classes.

Another Green for you Rubadub. The course list is amazing. You really can get almost anything that you would normally have to pay for at a college or university...FREE!!!! There's even a Chinese language course...This may be the best find on Fat Wallet

120 New Courses
click on NEW COURSES on upper left side to see the new offerings

PatandSassy said: I did this. Then I downloaded it but nothing or no way would it open on my Windows Vista Ultima. Is there a way to take this class online here without downloading it?
Hi, I am facing the same issue as PatandSassy...

On downloading and unzipping, the folder just contains HTML links to the same page. Where is the course material?

Thanks, I am kind of new to this!

priya84 said: PatandSassy said: I did this. Then I downloaded it but nothing or no way would it open on my Windows Vista Ultima. Is there a way to take this class online here without downloading it?
Hi, I am facing the same issue as PatandSassy...

On downloading and unzipping, the folder just contains HTML links to the same page. Where is the course material?

Thanks, I am kind of new to this!

I don't seem to have that problem. I'm using XP professional.
When you open the site go to the About OCW tab and take the tour and look at the FAQs All of the courses should open. You can also send an email at the Contact Us tab. Ask if there is a Vista problem. There is someone to answer your questions. I shouldn't think there's a problem with Vista.

The number of courses is really unbelievable. Great language courses. Chinese language takes you through intermediate study. You get to see live classroom video on some of the courses. Terrific. There is a least one course for everybody.

where is the institution?

buland2009 said: where is the institution?
MIT is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts

Some of you guys are really too much, here Rub offers you the chance to see and take the exact courses that they offer at MIT and you whine. Go learn something and then come back and tell him Thank You. Green for you Rub

artseller459 said: Some of you guys are really too much, here Rub offers you the chance to see and take the exact courses that they offer at MIT and you whine. Go learn something and then come back and tell him Thank You. Green for you Rub
Thanks

oh, does MIT runs into bankruptcy too? I entered and saw a big Donate sign there. Let's go!!!!

runsong said: oh, does MIT runs into bankruptcy too? I entered and saw a big Donate sign there. Let's go!!!!
It takes a lot of money to keep things going. Just the website has over 1800 courses for free, and that includes all the course materials lecture notes, etc. So I can understand if they're not charging for the free courses, but ask if you'd like to help keep the website free. Pay It Forward for the next person who may not be as lucky as you and really needs a free ride.
Rub

runsong said: oh, does MIT runs into bankruptcy too? I entered and saw a big Donate sign there. Let's go!!!!
So don't donate if you don't want to. Every educational institution asks for donations from alumni, current students, parents of current students... doesn't mean you have to give.

Elphaba06 said: runsong said: oh, does MIT runs into bankruptcy too? I entered and saw a big Donate sign there. Let's go!!!!
So don't donate if you don't want to. Every educational institution asks for donations from alumni, current students, parents of current students... doesn't mean you have to give.

Use the website and one day when you become rich and famous because of something you learned from the website, give something back (or not). Maybe you might need a tax deduction.

New courses have been added. Go to website click on NEW COURSES on the left.

There are other colleges/institutions that offer free courses. There is a list of links at the bottom of this article:

How to Find Free College Courses Online & Other Free Learning Sources

Are you kidding? MIT is one of the world's leading universities for Engineering and Science. It is one of America's most prestigious universities. You need to get out more.

Get my learning on

This is a great find. Thanks OP. Anyone know if you get a certificate of completion or any proof that you've taken and passed a course?

learning2save said: This is a great find. Thanks OP. Anyone know if you get a certificate of completion or any proof that you've taken and passed a course?
You can't get a certificate or proof that you completed the course. There are no formal exams, hence no way to find out if you really did the work. Some universities and colleges will let you take placement tests based on your knowledge of a subject and let you skip the online course material and go on to the next level of learning (i.e. if you took Spanish 1 in the OCW courses a university might let you take the final exam for Spanish 1 and if you pass, they would let you enroll in Spanish 2). You could also note on your resume that you took an OpenCourseWare course in whatever and that might get you some points with the person doing the job interview.

rubadub1902 said: learning2save said: This is a great find. Thanks OP. Anyone know if you get a certificate of completion or any proof that you've taken and passed a course?
You can't get a certificate or proof that you completed the course. There are no formal exams, hence no way to find out if you really did the work. Some universities and colleges will let you take placement tests based on your knowledge of a subject and let you skip the online course material and go on to the next level of learning (i.e. if you took Spanish 1 in the OCW courses a university might let you take the final exam for Spanish 1 and if you pass, they would let you enroll in Spanish 2). You could also note on your resume that you took an OpenCourseWare course in whatever and that might get you some points with the person doing the job interview.

Thanks for the info. Rubadub! And you read my mind...I was looking to spruce up my resume a bit.

While you are there, why don't you take the freshman level English courses...

learning2save said: rubadub1902 said: learning2save said: This is a great find. Thanks OP. Anyone know if you get a certificate of completion or any proof that you've taken and passed a course?

Thanks for the info. Rubadub! And you read my mind...I was looking to spruce up my resume a bit.

You're most welcome. You could learn some things that would put you and your resume way ahead of the competition. Good Luck

guys, I tried to download french course 1 from fall '04. But I am not sure when I opened the zip file, it doesn't make sense. I can't find how to start the course, there are no links nothing. can anyone guide me in right direction. thanks.

neoalex said: guys, I tried to download french course 1 from fall '04. But I am not sure when I opened the zip file, it doesn't make sense. I can't find how to start the course, there are no links nothing. can anyone guide me in right direction. thanks.
Relax, take a deep breath and let's start from the beginning.
go to: http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm
1. On the left side click on FIND COURSES
2. Click the + sign to expand the choices
3. Click on Foreign Languages
4. Scroll down and click on French 1
5. On the right side click on Download These Course Materials
The following will open:
21F-301Fall-2004.zip (ZIP - 1.19 MB) as a link

Click the link above to start downloading this course.
About our Zip files
Zip files contain the same content as the online version, with the exception of audio and video files; these must be downloaded separately.
For help downloading and using Zip files, read our frequently asked questions.
All of the materials included in the Zip files are governed by the same Creative Commons license that governs use of materials published on MIT OpenCourseWare.

You have to have a zip file program to unzip the files
Get one free at: Coffee Cup Software link
click on Free Zip Wizard 3.0 - Zipping and Un-Zipping has never been easier!
CoffeeCup Free Zip Wizard makes it easy to zip and unzip files.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology, since I haven't seen it actually posted.

smd61 said: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, since I haven't seen it actually posted.
Did you read the title or the intro? Massachusetts Institute of Technology is in both

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014