• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Free University Courses from MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology).
If you ever wanted to study anything in college, visit this website. Almost every course taught at MIT is available online for free to the public. You can't get a degree with these courses and you won't have access to the instructors, but the vast amount of knowledge is amazing. These are the actual courses taught at the University...Architecture, Math, Engineering, Literature, Business Management, Biology...plus hundreds more. They even have older courses archived. All the course study materials, course outlines, etc.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

Sloan School of Management(at MIT) offers courses in: Accounting, Communication, Finance, Health Care Management, Information Technologies, International Management, Law, Leadership Marketing,
Operations Management,Technology,Innovation and Entrepreneurship, more.
These ARE the same courses that you would get at the University, except you don't get credit or have access to the instructors. Don't sell these short, you get:
Syllabus
Course syllabi typically contain information such as the course description and objectives, as well as textbooks used in the course, a calendar of lectures and homework, collaboration guidelines, and grading criteria.

Lecture Notes
Lecture notes are the backbone of MIT OpenCourseWare and are extremely popular with visitors. They provide an excellent opportunity for reviewing material while providing alternate explanations of concepts. About 80% of OCW courses include lecture notes.

Assignments
Many OCW courses provide complete, detailed problem sets and solutions. About 93% of OCW courses include assignments.

Exams
Exams and solutions allow users to test their knowledge. They provide educators with a rich source of materials to use in their own classrooms. Almost 60% of courses on OCW with exams have them published on the site, and almost half of these feature solutions.

Audio and Video Lectures
Some courses contain full or exemplary audio and video lectures. These lectures provide a glimpse into MIT classrooms, and are some of the most popular features of OCW.
over 1900 Courses Available!!!!

Courses by Department
* Aeronautics and Astronautics
* Anthropology
* Architecture
* Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation
* Biological Engineering
* Biology
* Brain and Cognitive Sciences
* Chemical Engineering
* Chemistry
* Civil and Environmental Engineering
* Comparative Media Studies
* Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences
* Economics
* Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
* Engineering Systems Division
* Experimental Study Group
* Foreign Languages and Literatures
* Health Sciences and Technology
* History
* Linguistics and Philosophy
* Literature
* Materials Science and Engineering
* Mathematics
* Mechanical Engineering
* Media Arts and Sciences
* Music and Theater Arts
* Nuclear Science and Engineering
* Physics
* Political Science
* Science, Technology, and Society
* Sloan School of Management
* Special Programs
* Urban Studies and Planning
* Women's and Gender Studies
* Writing and Humanistic Studies
You can even take individual languages, Spanish, French, Chinese, others
MIT OpenCourseWare has formally partnered with four organizations that are translating OCW course materials into Spanish, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Thai.

Lots of additions since I last updated this. Click on NEW COURSES on upper left side to see the new offerings

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
New courses added for the new semester

rubadub1902 (Jan. 07, 2010 @ 2:06p) |

Lots of New courses have been added

rubadub1902 (Feb. 16, 2010 @ 11:18a) |

Thanks a lot

gaore (Feb. 19, 2010 @ 2:15a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Will this be available all year round? Or will access to these courses be closed off in a certain amount of time?

thanks...

i won't wait for them to close. will use my 1TB if materials are more than 240gb......

OCW has been free and available for some time now. I have a good amount of "inside knowledge" about the whole OCW stuff - and it was intentionally designed to be available for free to everybody. I'm not saying they can't change their "business model" and start charging for OCW use - but that would be as big a direction change as if google started charging for gmail.

Last night I was reading a very good article about this program in the Septmeber, 2009 edition of Popular Science magazine. Article title, 'HOME SCHOOLED', pps 54-59+.

lol. is there a way to grab all course materials?

D34lS33k3r said: Will this be available all year round? Or will access to these courses be closed off in a certain amount of time?

This will be available for a long time to come. OCW was designed for people to work at their own pace at no cost. If at sometime you feel you would like to donate to the program, you can, but it will never be required. If it helps you and you have the desire and the means you can 'pay it forward' to help someone else, but don't feel pressured or obligated.

They have been there for a long time. No need to worry about loosing them.

Jeez, couldnt you find a school with courses that might be challenging?

message deleted

The REAL savings, other than the knowledge you would gain, is for "TESTING OUT" purposes of College Classes. If your university has the ability for you to take a test (at a nominal cost) and test out of some coursework that is very standardized (like Math) and you can read through these, you can save yourself a thousand or more on tuition costs.

smeagle said: The REAL savings, other than the knowledge you would gain, is for "TESTING OUT" purposes of College Classes. If your university has the ability for you to take a test (at a nominal cost) and test out of some coursework that is very standardized (like Math) and you can read through these, you can save yourself a thousand or more on tuition costs.

While you can't get a certificate or proof that you completed the course, since there are no formal exams, hence no way to find out if you really did the work. Some universities and colleges will let you take placement tests based on your knowledge of a subject and let you skip the online course material(OCW) and go on to the next level of learning (i.e. if you took Spanish 1 in the OCW courses, a university might let you take the final exam for Spanish 1 and if you pass, they would let you enroll in Spanish 2). You could also note on your resume that you took an OpenCourseWare course in whatever and that might get you some points with the person doing the job interview.

Is there something similar at other schools? I have no desire to go to MIT but would consider this for a Univ. closer to my home town.

shallot said: Is there something similar at other schools? I have no desire to go to MIT but would consider this for a Univ. closer to my home town.

A Lot of schools are part of the OpenCourseWare program(MIT happens to be one of the best and with 1900 courses), but you don't have to travel any further than your computer. Everything is online. You can download the entire course or as many courses as you'd like and work at your own pace.

This is awesome!!! They really have video from the classes and the tests...everything. How do you find these things?

rubadub1902 said: D34lS33k3r said: Will this be available all year round? Or will access to these courses be closed off in a certain amount of time?

This will be available for a long time to come. OCW was designed for people to work at their own pace at no cost. If at sometime you feel you would like to donate to the program, you can, but it will never be required. If it helps you and you have the desire and the means you can 'pay it forward' to help someone else, but don't feel pressured or obligated.
That is right. Originally, they thought about charging for it, but realized that it has to be free. In fact, they've spent over a million dollars on it already.

mpkb said: That is right. Originally, they thought about charging for it, but realized that it has to be free. In fact, they've spent over a million dollars on it already.

AFAIK - much more than a million dollars. The software developed to host these courses itself cost a lot more than a million.

puddonhead said: mpkb said: That is right. Originally, they thought about charging for it, but realized that it has to be free. In fact, they've spent over a million dollars on it already.AFAIK - much more than a million dollars. The software developed to host these courses itself cost a lot more than a million. You're right. Their budget is $3.6 million.

Text

Answer to PM
Yes, these are exactly the same courses that you would get if you went to MIT. The only difference is that you can't get credit and you don't have access to the professor (oh, and you don't have to pay for the courses). You do have access to the assignments, the exams and in a lot of cases video of the lectures.

Even though there is no course credit (other than potentially 'testing up') or terminal degree, to me this is one of the best deals ever posted on FW. One college level course alone is worth at least $1k-$3k. I've been looking around for a decent and affordable online Spanish course and, thanks to the Op, I've finally found one. I'll also check some of the intro courses in fields that I've been thinking of getting an additional degree in to see if I'm 'really' interested in them.

is it easy to study on your own?

LvBrknHrt said: is it easy to study on your own?
It takes a little discipline, but all of the assignments are laid out for you and you can watch the video from some of the classes as well as see all the exams. Give it a try and set up a schedule for yourself. Put the schedule on the mirror, where you have to see it every day and it will help you stay with the program. You could also get a friend(or group) to work with you and study together. Everybody helps keep each other on track. Then after you gotten the material you want under your belt, you can use it to take placement tests if you want to go back to school. If you took Spanish 1 and 2, for example, you could ask to skip Spanish 1 and 2 and if you pass the exam at the school you can move ahead.
When you're looking for a job, you could say that you took the OCW courses from MIT on your own. Interviewers and bosses like to see that you took the effort to do it on your own. Makes them feel that you're a self starter.
GO FOR IT!!! You'll be happy you did and it won't cost you anything, except maybe you'll get up from the couch and away from the TV. Good Luck

Red for the OP because this has been around for years already.

drowned said: Red for the OP because this has been around for years already.
I assume you've already learned all you can, so you don't need it, but there a lot of new members to the site who haven't seen any of my original posts and are grateful for the opportunity to learn at a University level for free. Which is why I bring it back every six months or so...be a little tolerant for those who are new to the site.

rubadub1902 said: drowned said: Red for the OP because this has been around for years already.
I assume you've already learned all you can, so you don't need it, but there a lot of new members to the site who haven't seen any of my original posts and are grateful for the opportunity to learn at a University level for free. Which is why I bring it back every six months or so...be a little tolerant for those who are new to the site.

Thanks OP!!!

Keep on doing what your doing and bring this back every six months or so. I appreciate your extra efforts to continue informing FW of this excellent opportunity!

I also thank you OP!

Please do bring this back every six months. I didn't know it covered so much!

socrazycool said: I also thank you OP!

I also appreciate the OP bringing this to topic back up periodically because I had never seen it until recently, despite being on FW for years. I'm curious though rubadub1902, why not just bump one thread every 6 months instead of starting a new one? It would be nicer to see everyone's comments, experiences, input, and feedback in one thread, and would prevent a lot of duplication of questions/responses.

fivetalents said: socrazycool said: I also thank you OP!

I also appreciate the OP bringing this to topic back up periodically because I had never seen it until recently, despite being on FW for years. I'm curious though rubadub1902, why not just bump one thread every 6 months instead of starting a new one? It would be nicer to see everyone's comments, experiences, input, and feedback in one thread, and would prevent a lot of duplication of questions/responses.

Sometimes it's easier just to get a new start. Main thing is to get it back out there for everyone to see.
Thanks for the comments

socrazycool said: I also thank you OP!

Maybe we won't wait so long this time. Thanks for the support. Give a green if you like what we're doing

Look under NEW COURSES,(under Get started with OCW on the left side) there are many new offerings for this semester.

Is there a place where I can learn new computer programs? I am looking for a job, and I have no idea how to work anything like excel or spreadsheets of any kind. Thank you so much for this post!

thank you OP!

wow..Thanks,OP...redundancy is a more than welcome transgression in this case...

Reply To PM
Yes, new courses are added all the time. Click on new courses and it will show you the current additions.

New courses just added

New courses added for the new semester

Lots of New courses have been added

Thanks a lot

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014