• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Get rid of Telemarketers with a free "disconnet" tone. Add tone to your answering machine.

Get rid of telemarketing calls free with a "disconnect" tone from Ma Bell. Click the link below and download the disconnect tone. I used my laptop and then recorded the tone followed by my usual message. You have to have the tone recorded first, then your message. This disconnect tone tells the telemarketers computer the line is no longer in use and erase your number from their computer. Most sales calls are computer based, as soon as the computer hears the disconneted tone, the computer hangs up and erases your phone number. There is also on line tones you can download for your computer phone too.

LINK

thanks URNSUE

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You can also sign up for the federal do not call list. www.donotcall.gov

I don't have a land line but the thread title and the concept made me laugh. This may stop those telemarketers who ignore the do-not-call list rules, and save you time having to ask them to lose/not share your info or reporting them.

"FCC approved as perfectly legal"

guy321 said: You can also sign up for the federal do not call list. www.donotcall.govThat worked for me.A tone when they call seems like it would not be appropriate for business or your work calling you.

FYI: Signing up on the Do Not Call list will not prevent marketing research companies from calling you. Marketing research companies are not included in the Do Not Call sign up because they do not sell anything. So a word to the wise: Don't hang up on a call from a marketing research company.They may be calling to invite you to do a focus group in your town for $$$$$$$$.

YAY!!! thanks for something trulyn useful

Works for me! And by the way ...the Do Not Call list doesn't always work! And because I don't have caller id, I can't get the info needed to report the caller. Sooooo, this may help!

Might want to carefully consider this one. Not all automated calls are undesirable. Most Dr. appointments are auto confirmed, and many emergency and important school announcment are automated.

Is the Do Not Call List permanent? I signed up for it a couple of years ago but these days the telemarketers are back in full swing.

"Your registration will not expire. Telephone numbers placed on the National Do Not Call Registry will remain on it permanently due to the Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007, which became law in February 2008."

So if you signed up before that, go sign up again.

edit - you can check if you are still on it here: Verification

Even if you are on the "Do Not Call List", telemarketers will still call you and even send text messages to your cellphone if your voicemail box is full. When you try to call the number back, the number does not work! You try to report them to the BBB, their number doesn't even exist on the BBB database. Then you join the list, whocallsme.com
I think this is a very clever way to get rid of telemarketers and may work for me for awhile

This sometimes work: if you pick up and listen to the whole message, you can hit "2" at the end and it automatically removes you from future contact. I've even had some recordings say that you can hit 2. Many times I can't tell if it even works (but the very calls prove that they can slip thru the do-not-call list).

AmericanBulldog said: Might want to carefully consider this one. Not all automated calls are undesirable. Most Dr. appointments are auto confirmed, and many emergency and important school announcment are automated.

Maybe for some. My son's high school used to call about the most inane things. None of the school announcements were IMPORTANT. Could have used this ring tone.

I have our land phone registered but I seem to recall that it is not necessary to register cell phones. Can anyone confirm or clarify that? Thanks.

Gertrude23 said: This sometimes work: if you pick up and listen to the whole message, you can hit "2" at the end and it automatically removes you from future contact. I've even had some recordings say that you can hit 2. Many times I can't tell if it even works (but the very calls prove that they can slip thru the do-not-call list).

I noticed that too. I got a call the other day that said I could press 2 to get off their call lists. I am on the DoNotCall list and do not get calls very often, but once in a while still do.

EasyEd said: I have our land phone registered but I seem to recall that it is not necessary to register cell phones. Can anyone confirm or clarify that? Thanks.
I registered my cell phone. As far as I know, cell phone numbers can be purchased so there's no reason a telemarketer wouldn't call cell phones.

I am going to use that as a cellphone "ringtone".

EasyEd said: I have our land phone registered but I seem to recall that it is not necessary to register cell phones. Can anyone confirm or clarify that? Thanks.

Technically no unless you regularly put your phone number as a common contact number or use it to call into a company to inquire about their product/services.

I don't believe these will work, I personally am an outbound sales representative for a VOIP company. We see you have contacted us so we call you back on that number a few weeks later. I hear disconnected numbers all day long, not all automatic dialers will just disconnect the call when it hears a disconnect tone.

registered in the National Do Not Call Registry on July 19, 2003.

we get calls all the time from ppl who spoof the caller ID ( none of these companies are taking this seriously because there is little to no justice here. )

this might be of use to some of you i have been using it for years now ... http://800notes.com/ and no its for all #'s not just 800 #'s you can leave a note yourself and view other ppls comments. this way here we have some kind of record that possibly could be used later on.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014