Pep Boys FREE Brake Inspection

Archived From: Free Stuff
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
You can use this on your next oil change appt. or if you hear that ugly noise coming from beneath your car!

Print it and use it.

Printable Coupon

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Pep Boys always does free brake inspection (most places do) Pep Boys usually comes in cheaper than the dealer and can do most jobs. Best thing vs a local mechanic is that Pep Boys has all the parts on the shelves inside so it's faster and they don't mark up the parts like most mechanics. One time on a vacation trip I had Pep Boys change a water pump in a few hours and not too expensive (the AAA tow guy said he knew a place near by that might do it for less but we'd have to wait a day or two)

I got my brakes done by my cheap local mechanic last year so not following my own advise BUT if you keep your car a long time, Pep Boys brakes are guaranteed for life and their diamond brakes aren't too expensive

Most places do free brake inspections because they tell you parts of the braking system are bad that aren't, and they sell you parts that aren't needed. Even if you pads are guaranteed for life, they always tell you something else is bad and charge you a lot for it. I have lifetime guarantee on my brake pads and shoes from Auto Zone and I keep my cars for a long time so every time I do a brake job it is free.

pep boys loves to jack you around...like how they say the "free" check engine light deal only pulls codes and means nothing so you need the $80 diagnostic....or they only have the most expensive brake pads in stock at the moment....I always go in with my girlfriend when her car needs something so I can identify their BS

Glad to get red for warning others....

Yeah. Don't you figure they might find somethin' needs fixin'?

My Dodge dealer does a free 32 point check and always finds something that needs to be done. One time they wanted to do a $1000 worth of work, including brakes. Went to a reputable local repair shop and said none of it needed to be done. Brakes still had 8-10 k miles left on them. Be very wary of these "free" inspections. It costs money to do a "free" inspection and I'd rather pay the repair shop's actual cost to do the inspection rather than let them figure how to get the money out of me.

this is useful for people who can't DIY...

personally, disc brakes are easy to change out

drum brakes, on the other hand, sucks: you have to deal w/ backing off the brake shoes so that the drum can be removed for inspection, possible grease/bearing cap that needs to be removed for non-drive wheels, various springs and parking brake mechanism that you'll need to keep track of, etc.

i'll let them inspect the rear drums & if they need changing, i'll thank pep boys for the update & get an estimate

then, i'll just go get the parts myself from autozone (because it'll be a lifetime set for as long as you own your vehicle) and install it myself

only other thing i can't do on the driveway is to have the drums resurfaced (if needed)

ps: i used to be a service writer at one of them... didn't like it because of stuff they'll make you "sell" that are not needed in the immediate future, based on the vehicles' mileage and age... i don't sell those services, i only recommend them in the near future & tell the customers to always keep a service record to refute any future recommendations

ricebike said: this is useful for people who can't DIY...

personally, disc brakes are easy to change out ...

I am pretty good a figuring things out

but I am not sure I should be putting my car on jack stands, removing the wheels, and then changing out pads when I have never done it before

are you saying that no special tools are required and I can just do this with a wrench or two?

yes.

i did it on my g35 a couple months ago....a buddy of mine w/ the same car paid $1000 for the brake job on his brembos - I watched a 3 minute youtube video and did it in about 3 hours for $200. definitely worth your time to learn, if not to save the money - then to have a better understanding of your car so you can fix, diagnose, and monitor future problems that show up.

learning how your car works and it's basic maintenance is a great investment of time, especially since labor is so cheap.

germanpope said: ricebike said: this is useful for people who can't DIY...

personally, disc brakes are easy to change out ...

I am pretty good a figuring things out

but I am not sure I should be putting my car on jack stands, removing the wheels, and then changing out pads when I have never done it before

are you saying that no special tools are required and I can just do this with a wrench or two?

Most car enthuisiasts forums for brand specific cars usually has How-To's on them, try a search for your car if not pick up a Chilton manual or similar if it's available. I think Autozone includes diagrams on their website when you search for the parts you want to replace.

ricebike said:

personally, disc brakes are easy to change out

personally, I can't cut the rotors and if the new brakes fail I like a deep pocketed defendant to hammer.

lyd753 said: Pep Boys always does free brake inspection (most places do) Pep Boys usually comes in cheaper than the dealer and can do most jobs. Best thing vs a local mechanic is that Pep Boys has all the parts on the shelves inside so it's faster and they don't mark up the parts like most mechanics. One time on a vacation trip I had Pep Boys change a water pump in a few hours and not too expensive (the AAA tow guy said he knew a place near by that might do it for less but we'd have to wait a day or two)

I got my brakes done by my cheap local mechanic last year so not following my own advise BUT if you keep your car a long time, Pep Boys brakes are guaranteed for life and their diamond brakes aren't too expensive
I've found Pep Boys is OK parts replacements, like brakes, alternators, starter motors, water pumps, etc., but they, like many garages, are lousy for diagnosing fuel/emissions problems (they can be clueless if they can't read check engine codes) and will often resort to the unnecessary tune-up/fuel injector flush routine.

I don't know how Pep Boys operates in your area, but around Phoenix they offer 2-3 different levels of brake jobs, and I believe the cheapest one is guaranteed for only 12,000 miles & 12 months.

brake spring remover
Disclaimer

rear disk brake piston tool
Disclaimer
germanpope said: I am pretty good a figuring things out

I'd use a torque wrench on all the nuts and bolts -- after all, we're talking brakes here.

For rear drum brakes, get a tool for removing the ends of coil springs from their posts because it's a lot safer than using Vise-Grips to pull them off, which can be really dangerous and allow the spring to fly into your face and possibly blind you. For rear disks, you may need to unscrew the piston from the caliper (it's part of the parking brake mechanism).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014