Chinese Pineapple Cakes at Costco $12.88 YMMV

Archived From: Grocery Coupons & Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was very surprised when I was at my local Costco earlier last week. They had the Chinese/Taiwanese Pineapple Cakes for sale in a very nice box for $12.88, no tax. 16 in a box. I think it's a decent deal because the only time I get to eat some sometimes is when my friend brings some back from Taiwan and I can't find it in my local lotte or hmart.

Thank you for reading this post and Happy New Year!

Member Summary

cakes
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

In China, these are called just "cakes"

I saw these too. Also they had mooncakes a few months ago.

tweekerz said:   In China, these are called just "cakes"

cake or cookies (or biscuits)

but if I said pineapple cake without prefacing it with Chinese or Taiwanese, then people might've thought of the large upside down pineapple cake which is a totally different kind of thing.

On the moon, theses are just called cakes.

mmyk72 said:   I saw these too. Also they had mooncakes a few months ago.

tweekerz said:   On the moon, theses are just called cakes.

mmyk72 said:   I saw these too. Also they had mooncakes a few months ago.

I thought they were called MoonPies

Lol.
Also, Malaysian/Singaporean pineapple tarts are shortbready and completely different too, so it helps to know these are the Taiwanese style cakes.

Also the same price at the Automation Costco in SJ.

These are very YMMV. Seems that certain Costcos sell a few ethnic foods depending on their perceived clientele. North San Jose California often has Chinese foods including Chinese sausage (cheaper than any Asian grocery) and I have seen hispanic products in other locations. The Hawaiian Costcos have Hawaiian stuff, and even the Tokyo Costco has some items catering to the Japanese market (kind of funny that they sell mostly the same stuff as here so they have giant packages which customers try to fit into dinky cars). One Costco in Las Vegas offers Sushi which is made on premises in the warehouse (better than the usual varieties). Now, I don't understand why in San Jose, the snack bar does not have gelato like in Las Vegas.

These are called pineapple cakes. They're a known Taiwanese delicacy. They're not just cakes.

I go to Taiwan at least once a year and I bring back boxes full of these. Trust me, they're 100x better than anything you can get in the US. I will go to Costco and sample some of these today, but I can guarantee they will suck. I have enough Asian friends who ask me to take them in Taiwan to get the famous brands. Then they lug back a suitcase full of them to Hong Kong or whatever. At these stores you see the mainland Chinese tourists get entire cases of these.

If they have them in China it's just a copycat version. I highly doubt it's as good as anything you can get in Taiwan. The key is freshness, and when you start making these for mass distribution at stores, you know they're decked out with preservatives.

What brand is it and where is it from?

VivYip said:   I was very surprised when I was at my local Costco earlier last week. They had the Chinese/Taiwanese Pineapple Cakes for sale in a very nice box for $12.88, no tax. 16 in a box. I think it's a decent deal because the only time I get to eat some sometimes is when my friend brings some back from Taiwan and I can't find it in my local lotte or hmart.

Thank you for reading this post and Happy New Year!

You can find them at 99 ranch market on the shelves or in their bakery.

My husband always refers to these as pineapple cakes in english (not sure what he and the kids call them in mandarin since I'm the only one in the family that doesn't speak the language). They remind me of hot humid summer afternoons in little Taiwan shops drinking old mans tea and enjoying these wonderful treats. I look forward to trying the Costo variety.

wwinters said:   My husband always refers to these as pineapple cakes in english (not sure what he and the kids call them in mandarin since I'm the only one in the family that doesn't speak the language). They remind me of hot humid summer afternoons in little Taiwan shops drinking old mans tea and enjoying these wonderful treats. I look forward to trying the Costo variety.

Indeed, they are best with tea - any tea.

dmo580 said:   These are called pineapple cakes. They're a known Taiwanese delicacy. They're not just cakes.

I go to Taiwan at least once a year and I bring back boxes full of these. Trust me, they're 100x better than anything you can get in the US. I will go to Costco and sample some of these today, but I can guarantee they will suck. I have enough Asian friends who ask me to take them in Taiwan to get the famous brands. Then they lug back a suitcase full of them to Hong Kong or whatever. At these stores you see the mainland Chinese tourists get entire cases of these.

If they have them in China it's just a copycat version. I highly doubt it's as good as anything you can get in Taiwan. The key is freshness, and when you start making these for mass distribution at stores, you know they're decked out with preservatives.

You waited 7+ years to finally make a post about pineapple cakes? LOL

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014