Dominicks Chain Out-Of-Business as of 12/28—R.I.P.

Archived From: Grocery Coupons & Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Those that live in the Chicago area probably already know this, and those that live elsewhere probably don't care, but Dominicks is moving out of the area and all stores will either be sold to whoever wants them or will be shuttered by early next year.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-10-13/news/ct-met-domini...  

Savvy grocery shoppers know that very good deals are possible through the J4U program, and that no other area chain offers a comparable system. This is a sad situation for grocery bargain shoppers like me.

See Quick Summary for updates.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

sorry to hear that. I lived in a Chicago, and can't say I would be thrilled with Jewel as the alternative, or WalMart for that matter. Unless I was close to a meijer & Costco, I would be disappointed.

yoregano said:   Those that live in the Chicago area probably already know this, and those that live elsewhere probably don't care, but Dominicks is moving out of the area and all stores will either be sold to whoever wants them or will be shuttered by early next year.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-10-13/news/ct-met-domini...   

Savvy grocery shoppers know that very good deals are possible through the J4U program, and that no other area chain offers a comparable system. This is a sad situation for grocery bargain shoppers like me.

safeway (dba Genuardis) pulled out of the Phila area about 16 months ago, I still miss them. Giant PA took over many of their stores and they are among my least favorite chains to shop at. Has it been announced who is taking over any/some of the stores in Chicago? (sorry didn't read the article)

MISTERCHEAP said:   
Has it been announced who is taking over any/some of the stores in Chicago? (sorry didn't read the article)

There is no mass takeover yet. Some stores have already been bought by Jewel (the only large chain left, not including Meier or Wallmart). It is my understanding that Safe-way is content to just sell locations piecemeal to the highest or fastest bidder.

Dominicks & Jewel are the two iconic main stores but there are so so many food stores in which to chose from, including Aldi, WalMart, STarget, meijer, Food4Less, Buteras, Marianos....

JaxFL said:   Dominicks & Jewel are the two iconic main stores but there are so so many food stores in which to chose from, including Aldi, WalMart, STarget, meijer, Food4Less, Buteras, Marianos....
  True. But my main disappointment is that the J4U program consistently produces some very good deals, like getting $10-$15 credit when buying $100 V/MC/Am-Ex cards, various items free (often new items being introduced), mfr. e-coupons combined with sale/personalized deals resulting in items often being 50%+ off regular prices, and a gas discount credit that accumulates with purchase volume.

Jewel will now be the only "regular" grocery chain in the area, and they ended their savings card program several months ago when Albertson's sold them. There are no grocery stores left in the area with a savings card, and savvy shoppers have lost this means of getting good deals. While there is a Jewel, Aldi, Targ, and Costco in my town, all the other stores you mentioned have locations that are scattered about the region. We are getting a Mariano's, and I have heard good things about their quality and service, but not so much bargain prices.

I grew up in Chi Town. North Ave & Narragansett Ave. My mother worked at Kroger which was in Chicago for a short time. My cousin works for Jewel. Dominick's bought out Kroger when they moved out.

See QS for update.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014