A pint of ice cream now has 14 ounces.

Archived From: Grocery Coupons & Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Be on the lookout at the Supermarket.  A Haagan Dazs pint of ice cream is only 14 ounces.   They claim it is to save people from gaining weight, but the price is the same as when it was really a pint.   Should we thank them for helping us not put on extra weight?   Maybe 12 ounces would be even better.

Member Summary

It's been like that for a while, sadly. I no longer buy HD ice cream.

I doubt the reason is to prevent people from getting fat. It's to allow them to appear to sell it for a lower price than they really do in comparison to other products, like with all other product downsizings.

Does the package actually say "pint" on it?

95% of what is on tv is garbage

Yes, the Pint is now measured at 14 OZ. The world is shrinking!

It's 14oz as long as I remember.. still very tasty!

ZenNUTS said:   It's 14oz as long as I remember.. still very tasty!

How old are you?   Six years old?

MitchFlorida said:   
ZenNUTS said:   It's 14oz as long as I remember.. still very tasty!
  How old are you?   Six years old?

Son, I'm more mature than you, so it seems.

Grocery Shrink Ray strikes again!  I have also seen 14  ounce pint glasses with a thicker bottom, so be careful in bars when ordering a pint of beer.

Shayrose said:   Grocery Shrink Ray strikes again!  I have also seen 14  ounce pint glasses with a thicker bottom, so be careful in bars when ordering a pint of beer.
Yes the grocery shrink ray has hit pub glasses in many restaurants/bars in the U.S. the last couple of years; beware. 

Most of these new wave pub glasses appear to be 14 (vs 16) ounce variants, using one of two designs:

1. Faithfully scaled down replicas of authentic pint pub glasses, except capable of holding only 14 ounces at most.
  2. Classic-sized pint pub glasses, but with overly thick glass bottoms (capable of holding only 14 ounces at most).

Using imposter 1, you may sense immediately something is amiss (although it can make you feel a bit like Shaquille O'Neal).
Imposter 2 is even more insidious, and might even be a later switchover after a couple of rounds.

In either case, if an establishment uses these glasses and lists their draft beers as "pints", this is deliberate consumer fraud!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014