BJ's club membership

Archived From: Grocery Coupons & Deals
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I went to BJ's today with a free 60 day card they sent me thru the mail so I wanted to try it out and went to the service desk to activate it they gave me a deal on there membership, I don't know if this is anything great but they said the membership fee is $45 which is there normal fee then they gave me an adittional 2 months because of the free card and they said that they would also issue a second card to someone else under my plan for free with there own card , so if you have 2 people that want to join it's only half price for there club, IMO

also to mention I seen someone bringing back a bag of barbecue chicken wings for a refund and they weren't opened and the manager said they can't accept it back but they would gladly give them a refund and that they could just keep it, no problems with a return for sure

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I found out a way to get up to 2 free months each year using their LIBERAL membership renewals. Say your membership exp... (more)

vfrjim (Mar. 19, 2008 @ 12:38p) |

I must say since joining there club about 4 months ago I have been in there twice and have gotten some flyers in the mai... (more)

oldjunk (Mar. 19, 2008 @ 12:50p) |

I have renewed my membership after 28 day it expired even then they started my membership from original expired date. In... (more)

nk42 (Mar. 19, 2008 @ 1:07p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

sr. member?

for those who end up reading this thread, mastercard or chase or citi sometime sends out offers to get $10 - $15 off membership at BJs...

The nice thing about BJs trial is that you don't pay the service charge that Sams charges for their trials.

And before this turns into a war of BJs vs Costco vs Sam's club - to each his own

oldjunk said: I went to BJ's today with a free 60 day card they sent me thru the mail so I wanted to try it out and went to the service desk to activate it they gave me a deal on there membership, I don't know if this is anything great but they said the membership fee is $45 which is there normal fee then they gave me an adittional 2 months because of the free card and they said that they would also issue a second card to someone else under my plan for free with there own card , so if you have 2 people that want to join it's only half price for there club, IMO

also to mention I seen someone bringing back a bag of barbecue chicken wings for a refund and they weren't opened and the manager said they can't accept it back but they would gladly give them a refund and that they could just keep it, no problems with a return for sure

OH, I forgot to mention the $10.00 off also Sorry


lycerejo said: sr. member?

for those who end up reading this thread, mastercard or chase or citi sometime sends out offers to get $10 - $15 off membership at BJs...

The nice thing about BJs trial is that you don't pay the service charge that Sams charges for their trials.

And before this turns into a war of BJs vs Costco vs Sam's club - to each his own

oldjunk said: I went to BJ's today with a free 60 day card they sent me thru the mail so I wanted to try it out and went to the service desk to activate it they gave me a deal on there membership, I don't know if this is anything great but they said the membership fee is $45 which is there normal fee then they gave me an adittional 2 months because of the free card and they said that they would also issue a second card to someone else under my plan for free with there own card , so if you have 2 people that want to join it's only half price for there club, IMO

also to mention I seen someone bringing back a bag of barbecue chicken wings for a refund and they weren't opened and the manager said they can't accept it back but they would gladly give them a refund and that they could just keep it, no problems with a return for sure

I just spoke with a girl at the BJs customer service counter and she detailed the same thing you did. I think she left out the part a 2nd card though. Anyway, the summary was:


14 mo. for $45
- $10 Credit to use that day
-------------------------------------
- $35 for membership


Thanks OP for posting this for everyone.

oldjunk said:

also to mention I seen someone bringing back a bag of barbecue chicken wings for a refund and they weren't opened and the manager said they can't accept it back but they would gladly give them a refund and that they could just keep it, no problems with a return for sure


Most stores simply throw out any food items that are returned, even if the package is still sealed. I know this is Wal-Mart's policy. They simply don't want the risk of product tampering. It's the sad reality today.

Does Costco's give out trial memberships? If so, how can I get one?

OfficerCartman said: Does Costco's give out trial memberships? If so, how can I get one?

Go and ask at Costco, not here.

popyu said: OfficerCartman said: Does Costco's give out trial memberships? If so, how can I get one?

Go and ask at Costco, not here.


come on dont be rude here. he knows he can ask costco and find that information. all he needs is if anyone experienced the same kind at costco.

oldjunk said: I went to BJ's today with a free 60 day card they sent me thru the mail so I wanted to try it out and went to the service desk to activate it they gave me a deal on there membership, I don't know if this is anything great but they said the membership fee is $45 which is there normal fee then they gave me an adittional 2 months because of the free card and they said that they would also issue a second card to someone else under my plan for free with there own card , so if you have 2 people that want to join it's only half price for there club

My English teacher is turning in her grave.
This was a run-on sentence to end all run-on sentences.
At least "loosing," rather than "losing," wasn't mentioned, which is common here. So there.

They don't call me Cranky for 'nuthin.

For what it's worth... last year they offered me the discounted membership and I said no thanks i'll stick with the trial figuring I can get the discounted membership after the trial was up.

Well no go on that... if I wanted to join after the trial I had to pay full price. So if you are looking for a discount... better take the deal they give you when you sign up the trial.

Here's how I don't pay ANY membership fees (the FW way!): At least a few times per year, they have free trials with No surcharges, good for a 2 month trial, so I'll go at least twice during the trial period, STOCK UP, and wait until the next free trial period. Once I was on their coupon mailing list, I was never taken off... (or there is simply a long delay in taking expired membership off).

Also, I'm pretty sure when I set up online membership profile to access coupons, it was still good even after the expiration period, so I can always see coupons, etc...

Last year there was a deal for $25 membership for a year. I'm looking for that one.

Who the hell returns chicken?

probably someone that knows they wouldn't take it back and let them keep it and still get the refund, I really don't know why it was returned but it was closed and the girl kept it and got the refund on credited to her credit card



9600baud said: Who the hell returns chicken?

I've returned items to BJ's after the stated 60-day return period without any problems (but it wasn't chicken)

they offered 2 pictured cards for the $35 bucks yesterdaY or a $10.00 credit slip or take $10.00 off your order right there i PAID $45, PAID FOR MY SHOPPING AND TOOK THE $10.00 CREDIT SLIP to go

BeanMeScot said: Last year there was a deal for $25 membership for a year. I'm looking for that one.

I think you would get this deal throughout the year under one pretext or the other (President's day etc.)

jonnashville said: oldjunk said: I went to BJ's today with a free 60 day card they sent me thru the mail so I wanted to try it out and went to the service desk to activate it they gave me a deal on there membership, I don't know if this is anything great but they said the membership fee is $45 which is there normal fee then they gave me an adittional 2 months because of the free card and they said that they would also issue a second card to someone else under my plan for free with there own card , so if you have 2 people that want to join it's only half price for there club

My English teacher is turning in her grave.
This was a run-on sentence to end all run-on sentences.
At least "loosing," rather than "losing," wasn't mentioned, which is common here. So there.

They don't call me Cranky for 'nuthin.


If you think spelling mistakes are causing her to turn in her grave, wait till you see what happens when she turns her attention to the grammatical parts. I suspect she my abandon the grave altogether

All you have to do is pay upfront at Costco and if you are not satisfied they will return your membership fee anytime during that year.

Cornelius said: oldjunk said:

also to mention I seen someone bringing back a bag of barbecue chicken wings for a refund and they weren't opened and the manager said they can't accept it back but they would gladly give them a refund and that they could just keep it, no problems with a return for sure


Most stores simply throw out any food items that are returned, even if the package is still sealed. I know this is Wal-Mart's policy. They simply don't want the risk of product tampering. It's the sad reality today.
Agree. The feds should step in and ban the return of unopened food items.

oldjunk said: I went to BJ's today with a free 60 day card they sent me thru the mail so I wanted to try it out and went to the service desk to activate it they gave me a deal on there membership, I don't know if this is anything great but they said the membership fee is $45 which is there normal fee then they gave me an adittional 2 months because of the free card and they said that they would also issue a second card to someone else under my plan for free with there own card , so if you have 2 people that want to join it's only half price for there club, IMO

also to mention I seen someone bringing back a bag of barbecue chicken wings for a refund and they weren't opened and the manager said they can't accept it back but they would gladly give them a refund and that they could just keep it, no problems with a return for sure


I did this, but avoided purchasing the membership. I was not offered the $10 discount, just the "sign up now and get 2 free months" (14 for the price of 12), and also get an extra card. I believe you get 2 cards with a normal membership anyway, so I asked the girl, "What are you offering? I get 2 free months now, no matter what. Even if I wait until it's over, I can still purchase 12 more months at that point and get the extra card." She looked puzzled too.

Apparently the only incentive would have been if I REALLY wanted an extra card for 2 additional months. But neither of us even thought of that. I don't need an extra card.

9600baud said: Who the hell returns chicken?

Someone who's done choking it?

I'm not sure what your saying here, but I was offered 2 picture cards for 14 months for $35.00 I thought my sister didn't have a BJ's card so I took the deal,but it seems she had it already, also I like specialty foods that regular super markets don't carry thats why I bought in on it.

Apparently the only incentive would have been if I REALLY wanted an extra card for 2 additional months. But neither of us even thought of that. I don't need an extra card.

OfficerCartman said: Does Costco's give out trial memberships? If so, how can I get one?They do not. Their trial is that you pay to join and refund your membership in full anytime during the year if you are unhappy.

I didn't want to sound prejudice but she was a mexican lady , so i'll leave it at that and accept that maybe something was wrong with it, does that sound prejudice to you


omarq said: 9600baud said: Who the hell returns chicken?

Someone who's done choking it?

this is the only BJ's i know and you dont need a membership to get in

BJs

Has anyone gotten the $10 offer lately, or know of any other discounts on membership? Mine is expiring the end of this month, and they have the best prices on milk these days.

I don't know if this is always the case, but when our last BJ's membership expired, we chose not to renew. A few months later we were sent an offer to renew with a $20 off coupon. We don't buy too much there, so we're not planning on renewing again this year.

I personally don't find many things to be any cheaper, just larger quantities, so I may save a bit over $25 for the year, more than that for the membership and I'll pass.

beffus said: I personally don't find many things to be any cheaper, just larger quantities, so I may save a bit over $25 for the year, more than that for the membership and I'll pass.
I'm mystified by your comment that you, "don't find many things to be any cheaper..." Everywhere I look I see savings at BJ's, sometimes because of the larger quantity, but not always. I probably save $25 per month at the Deli counter alone for sandwich fixings for my brood.

I'd agree that a patient FW member could probably do better on hardgoods, with sales, coupons, etc., but as a grocery it offers considerable savings over the other local markets.

Cornelius said:

Most stores simply throw out any food items that are returned, even if the package is still sealed. I know this is Wal-Mart's policy. They simply don't want the risk of product tampering. It's the sad reality today.


I don't think it's as much "product tampering" as it is basic FOOD SAFETY.

eandtee, did you join BJ's as your first choice, or is it the only "club" that is close to you.

I have Cosco, BJ's, and Sams, all within resonable miles of my home. I can't decide which one to join. BJ's would be my first choice because it costs the least to join.

Do any of you have an opinion?

June12345 said: eandtee, did you join BJ's as your first choice, or is it the only "club" that is close to you.

I have Cosco, BJ's, and Sams, all within resonable miles of my home. I can't decide which one to join. BJ's would be my first choice because it costs the least to join.

Do any of you have an opinion?


I'd go with either Costco or Sam's. I've had membership to BJ's and unless you have a family of four you don't save much and you end up having bulk quantity of everything you buy. Every couple of months I get a free 60 day pass to BJ's so instead of paying for the membership I get it free for 60 days at a time.

eandtee said: beffus said: I personally don't find many things to be any cheaper, just larger quantities, so I may save a bit over $25 for the year, more than that for the membership and I'll pass.
I'm mystified by your comment that you, "don't find many things to be any cheaper..." Everywhere I look I see savings at BJ's, sometimes because of the larger quantity, but not always. I probably save $25 per month at the Deli counter alone for sandwich fixings for my brood.

I'd agree that a patient FW member could probably do better on hardgoods, with sales, coupons, etc., but as a grocery it offers considerable savings over the other local markets.


I actually concur with beffus. My BJs membership is about to expire and I think I went 5 times during the year. Yes Deli can be a savings but not that much if you local store has decent specials. The REAL problem for me ... is FATWALLET has changed the way I shop. If its not 50% or 75% off (except supermarket) I think its priced too high. When BJs was selling Garmins for Christmas the 650 was still $200 MORE than Costco. Most of the services ... car buying, travel, optical can be found for a similar or lower price elsewhere.Especially to the seasoned shoppers on this site.

While I acknowledge I have never been a fan of self checkout, self boxing, and then standing in line to have my purchases reviewed as if I were stealing ... IMHO and IMHO only I just do not see enough value to charge $45.00

But ... I may be wrong.

lycerejo said: for those who end up reading this thread, mastercard or chase or citi sometime sends out offers to get $10 - $15 off membership at BJs...
I am already a member of BJs Wholesale... During holiday times, MasterCard always send out $10 (off $100 purchase) coupon/check and we use them every time as just about every purchase at BJs is $100 or more nowadays.

Also as other mentioned, if you share the membership with another family/friend, the cost is minimal. If you are spending a lot (more than $1750 annually), upgrade to the $80 one that has a 2% Cash Back. I share my membership with my sister's family, that is about $875 per family of spending to recover the higher fee.

nutsack said: I'd go with either Costco or Sam's. I've had membership to BJ's and unless you have a family of four you don't save much and you end up having bulk quantity of everything you buy. Every couple of months I get a free 60 day pass to BJ's so instead of paying for the membership I get it free for 60 days at a time.Also, BJ' is the only one you can shop at regularly without being a member. You'll pay extra (15% last time I looked, I believe) but it could still be cheaper than the membership fee if you don't buy much there over the course of the year.

My choice would be Costco. Sadly the nearest store is 30 minutes away and BJ's is 10 minutes, so we have a membership there. We also have a Costco membership which my sister is supposed to split the cost for (when I remind her about it).

I found out a way to get up to 2 free months each year using their LIBERAL membership renewals. Say your membership expires at the end of January, they allow a 2 week grace period, so you do all your purchases on the 13th of the following month(Feb 13th) and do not renew till the next time you return. If you purchase correctly, you purchase next time after the 1st of the following month (in this example it would be March 1st)

So the next year, you have till the end of March, you then purchase all your purchases before renewal on/or before April 13th and then renew after May 1st. I think you can figure this out how it can extend a 12 month plan to almost 14 months. This may apply to other clubs, but since I do not belong to them, I do not know if they give the 2 week grace period like BJ's.

Jim

I must say since joining there club about 4 months ago I have been in there twice and have gotten some flyers in the mail and i'm not very happy with them at all and probabley won't go back either

vfrjim said: I found out a way to get up to 2 free months each year using their LIBERAL membership renewals. Say your membership expires at the end of January, they allow a 2 week grace period, so you do all your purchases on the 13th of the following month(Feb 13th) and do not renew till the next time you return. If you purchase correctly, you purchase next time after the 1st of the following month (in this example it would be March 1st)

So the next year, you have till the end of March, you then purchase all your purchases before renewal on/or before April 13th and then renew after May 1st. I think you can figure this out how it can extend a 12 month plan to almost 14 months. This may apply to other clubs, but since I do not belong to them, I do not know if they give the 2 week grace period like BJ's.

Jim


I have renewed my membership after 28 day it expired even then they started my membership from original expired date. In above case , if i went to renew on Feb 28, my new membership was valid till jan 31 of next year



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014