Return Policy for Costco for Food

Archived From: Grocery Coupons & Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hey guys, I recently bought a box of some all natural potato crisps at costco, and they turned out to be horrible, I know Costco has one of the best return policies but I have already opened the box and have had 2 or 3 bags opened and eaten, will costco allow me to return this opened product?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I believe they have their laptops powered up for you to "try" prior to purchase.

SpinDizzy (Sep. 11, 2008 @ 4:37a) |

That certainly looks like suspicious behavior - we can't say for sure but there's a possibility you might be flagged.

Why... (more)

jayK (Sep. 11, 2008 @ 10:42a) |

The laptops I'm interested in checking out are only sold online (haven't seen them at the warehouse). Plus, the warehou... (more)

newbs (Sep. 11, 2008 @ 11:27a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Yes

It took you 2 to 3 bags of opened and eaten crisps to notice you didn't care for them?

A few weeks ago we bought some mango salsa from Costco - it sounded good, but it was too salty for our taste. We returned it without any trouble, of course the majority of the product was still there.

Sorry KDogg, but that's what the return policy is for.

Costco will allow you to return but will also track what you are returning.

Those chips were nasty. Anyhoo...

We get refunds back on produce typically that doesn't ripen or is just plain nasty. Haven't done it on non-produce foods yet because no need to. I should have done it on their meat lover's pizza. Ugh. It sounded like such a good idea at the time.

I went to a potato chips website & filled in a comment form & they sent me coupons for tons of free chips. Ones I got had some mold on them see.

SpinDizzy said: It took you 2 to 3 bags of opened and eaten crisps to notice you didn't care for them?

Actually I only had 1 bag, we had others over and they were interested, then they found out too...

MobiusXP said: SpinDizzy said: It took you 2 to 3 bags of opened and eaten crisps to notice you didn't care for them?

Actually I only had 1 bag, we had others over and they were interested, then they found out too...

It is people like you who ruin the return policies of places. You probably had a party- bought the chips then decided to get some money back. WHY open 2-3 bags, eat them with friends then decide to return the uneaten. I hope Costco does track what you return! I can see opening one bag, eating a few, deciding they aren't for you, but a couple bags...get a life!

mom2boys said: It is people like you who ruin the return policies of places. You probably had a party- bought the chips then decided to get some money back. WHY open 2-3 bags, eat them with friends then decide to return the uneaten. I hope Costco does track what you return! I can see opening one bag, eating a few, deciding they aren't for you, but a couple bags...get a life!Watch out, it's the morality police!

I've seen boxes of chips for sale at Costco that consist of 20-30 small single-serving bags, it's possible this was one of those items. If 2-3 bags were used, then 90% of the product was still unused.

Please feel free to ignore retailers' return policies and eat the loss yourself if you are unsatisfied with your product, the rest of us will continue to get our money back in those situations.

jayK said: mom2boys said: It is people like you who ruin the return policies of places. You probably had a party- bought the chips then decided to get some money back. WHY open 2-3 bags, eat them with friends then decide to return the uneaten. I hope Costco does track what you return! I can see opening one bag, eating a few, deciding they aren't for you, but a couple bags...get a life!Watch out, it's the morality police!

I've seen boxes of chips for sale at Costco that consist of 20-30 small single-serving bags, it's possible this was one of those items. If 2-3 bags were used, then 90% of the product was still unused.

Please feel free to ignore retailers' return policies and eat the loss yourself if you are unsatisfied with your product, the rest of us will continue to get our money back in those situations.

True it could be single serving bags...maybe OP will clarify. If that is the case...great I understand returning BUT if there were only 3 or 4 bags in the box and OP ate 3 of them that is another story.

FW is not costco. Your best bet is to take the item back to Costco and explain your situation. They may or may not give you a refund. You can come back here and start a post on a result with your return experience at Costco. For example, "Costco return policy is great!" etc...

When you post a question here on "What Costco do", half the people going to say "YES" and the other half will say "NO" but it doesn't help you with your situation. As a matter of fact, even if 100% of the response you get here is "NO", you may take it back and they still give you a full refund.

I don't see a problem with occasionally returning food items, assuming a reasonable amount has been eaten. A family friend mentioned a while ago that they were in the return line, and an older man was returning half a bag of fruit and I guess he does this all the time. Costco thanked him for his business, refunded him his membership fee and asked him not to return. The cashier didn't make a scene and all the man could do was leave.

mom2boys said:
It is people like you who ruin the return policies of places. You probably had a party- bought the chips then decided to get some money back.

Oh goodie, the mind readers have arrived.

I also hope people think a bit more carefully before buying food. As a policy, Costco throws most food items out even if you went out of the store and came back 30 mins later to return it. This may not be applicable to stuff like potato chips but does affect produce.

bozo007 said: I also hope people think a bit more carefully before buying food.Costco's satisfaction guarantee policy is meant to encourage people to buy new products they haven't tried before. How exactly are people supposed to know how a product will taste if they've never tried it?

You're paying for that satisfaction guarantee with your membership fee, so you might as well use it.

As a policy, Costco throws most food items out even if you went out of the store and came back 30 mins later to return it.They also give away free products every day through product samples. Do you also avoid these samples because it might hurt the company's profitability?

My wife and I try new stuff all the time at Costco, largely because of the guarantee. The vast majority of the time we like the new product, keep it, and end up buying more. Without their return policy, we would probably end up spending less.

I agree that some people do abuse the system (i.e. "renting" electronics) but OP is not one of those people.

jayK said:

I agree that some people do abuse the system (i.e. "renting" electronics) but OP is not one of those people.

Some people also abuse it by eating the majority of the food and returning it.

Costco's satisfaction guarantee policy is meant to encourage people to buy new products they haven't tried before. How exactly are people supposed to know how a product will taste if they've never tried it?

I am not sure if that's the intention of the policy. I wouldn't think that any store would create a policy to promote shopper to "try new things", especially things that are edible or has an expiration.

They also give away free products every day through product samples. Do you also avoid these samples because it might hurt the company's profitability?

The whole idea of samples is to let you try before you buy.. Not buy, try and return because you don't like the taste. You may not like the taste and return the item. That's fine once a while, buy if you are doing this on a regular basis, YOU ARE ABUSING THE POLICY.

Like I stated in an earlier post, OP should go and try to return this item instead of asking whether costco will allow the return. We don't know OP shopping/return habbits at Costco.

mom2boys said: jayK said:

Some people also abuse it by eating the majority of the food and returning it.
You're right...and considering OP is asking IF Costco will accept a return, it's reasonable to assume that this is the first OP has returned this type of product to Costco, rather than jumping to conclusions that this is abuse of the system.

Plus, as we've seen before, people who abuse the system tend to have their membership revoked.

vkl168 said: I am not sure if that's the intention of the policy. I wouldn't think that any store would create a policy to promote shopper to "try new things", especially things that are edible or has an expiration.I beg to differ...retailers always want people to try new products, especially if they are confident in the quality of the product. This is one great way to increase revenue: sell more products to existing customers. Tossing returns, like inventory shrinkage, is just a cost of doing business.

The whole idea of samples is to let you try before you buy.. Not buy, try and return because you don't like the taste.You're right - samples let you try items before you buy them. But for products that aren't being sampled, the satisfaction guarantee lets you try after you buy.

You may not like the taste and return the item. That's fine once a while, buy if you are doing this on a regular basis, YOU ARE ABUSING THE POLICY.I agree, and if you're dissatisfied with the items you buy at Costco on a regular basis, you probably shouldn't be shopping at Costco.

MobiusXP said: Hey guys, I recently bought a box of some all natural potato crisps at costco, and they turned out to be horrible . . . will costco allow me to return this opened product?

the real question here should be "why don't you just ask costco?"

Anyone know Costco's formula for determining "abuse"? I don't think of myself as abusing the policy, but there are some competing electronic devices (laptops) that I want to try to see if I like them or not. Will my account get flagged if, for instance, I buy and return 3 different laptops at Costco over a period of 4-5 months (always returning within the 90 day return period)?

I like Costco and I don't want to lose my shopping privileges there. I don't do a lot of other returns (e.g., I have never brought back partially eaten food items). The only time I really have used the return policy is where the price dropped on an item.

newbs said: Anyone know Costco's formula for determining "abuse"? I don't think of myself as abusing the policy, but there are some competing electronic devices (laptops) that I want to try to see if I like them or not. Will my account get flagged if, for instance, I buy and return 3 different laptops at Costco over a period of 4-5 months (always returning within the 90 day return period)?

I like Costco and I don't want to lose my shopping privileges there. I don't do a lot of other returns (e.g., I have never brought back partially eaten food items). The only time I really have used the return policy is where the price dropped on an item.

I believe they have their laptops powered up for you to "try" prior to purchase.

newbs said: Will my account get flagged if, for instance, I buy and return 3 different laptops at Costco over a period of 4-5 months (always returning within the 90 day return period)?That certainly looks like suspicious behavior - we can't say for sure but there's a possibility you might be flagged.

Why don't you create a new thread asking for opinions on the laptops you are considering?

The laptops I'm interested in checking out are only sold online (haven't seen them at the warehouse). Plus, the warehouse is not an optimal place to try them out. I want to check out performance using certain applications, boot-up/shutdown time, battery life, heat and noise in different environments and under load, etc.

I have checked out reviews on some of the laptops (though not many, if any at all, of Dell's Mini have been shipped yet, to my knowledge), but it is hard basing a purchase of something like a laptop just on reading other people's reviews. I think a lot of it is subjective, especially things like the keyboard, the screen, and fit & finish.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014