Supermarket coupon policies YMMV

Archived From: Grocery Coupons & Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
for Staten Island, NY:
Waldbaums - doesn't accept Internet coupons, usually doubles coupons up to $1 (occasionally triples, watch for the info in store circular)
King Kullen - limit 2 Internet coupons per purchase, doubles $1 coupons (no more than 4, no more than 2 identical), doubles coupons up to $1
Pathmark - accepts Internet coupons, doubles coupons up to $1
Shop-Rite - accepts Internet coupons, doubles coupons up to $1 (no more than 4 identical coupons)

All stores claim the right to limit the purchase of identical products on sale (usually, 4 per purchase). Yet to see it enforced (For example, boughth 13 packages of Lean Cuisine Pizza at Pathmark this morning, without any problem)

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

when u say 'doubles coupons up to $1', is that including $1 cuz most of those stores are by me and they only double coupons up to .99 cents. of course, i'm not in SI, i'm on they other side of the bridge, but i didn't think it would vary that much.

UncleJr said: when u say 'doubles coupons up to $1', is that including $1 cuz most of those stores are by me and they only double coupons up to .99 cents. of course, i'm not in SI, i'm on they other side of the bridge, but i didn't think it would vary that much.

"up to" does not include $1 coupons
The only supermarket on SI, accepting $1 coupons, is King Kullen (please see the original post for limits)

igost said: UncleJr said: when u say 'doubles coupons up to $1', is that including $1 cuz most of those stores are by me and they only double coupons up to .99 cents. of course, i'm not in SI, i'm on they other side of the bridge, but i didn't think it would vary that much.

The only supermarket on SI, accepting $1 coupons, is King Kullen (please see the original post for limits)

when stores say "up to" it usually includes that amount, that is what was confusing about your post, which is why i asked for clarification.

as u can see from their circular HERE, they use the same terminology. this was from the SI ad.

I was just at King Kullen here on SI and was quite surprised at their internet coupon policy - I wish I had seen this earlier. I had about 20 coupons, about 10 of them internet ones, and you are right, they would only accept 2. I assumed there would be a limit on how many identical coupons they would accept, but these were all for different products. I used 2 and left the rest of the internet coupon items in the store - I guess I will have to make a few trips and take my husband with me. When you think about it, these coupons are not really "free" - I went through an inkjet cartridge quite quickly, so I intend to use them.

I wrote an email to King Kullen when I got home to complain. Pathmark does not limit internet coupons, in fact, they provide a Smart Source link on their site.

An update

I emailed King Kullen about their only taking 2 internet coupons per order. I got an immediate telephone response from their district manager, who told me the person who told me that was incorrect - their policy for internet coupons is the same as newspaper ones: up to 5 $1 coupons will be doubled, and they will take only 2 identical internet coupons per order. There is no policy limiting the total number per order.

He must have informed the Staten Island store because I stopped in after work and they took 5 internet coupons.

What are your experience with doubling coupons that says "do not double pt triple". Do stores double them anyways?

Mish714 said: An update

I emailed King Kullen about their only taking 2 internet coupons per order. I got an immediate telephone response from their district manager, who told me the person who told me that was incorrect - their policy for internet coupons is the same as newspaper ones: up to 5 $1 coupons will be doubled, and they will take only 2 identical internet coupons per order. There is no policy limiting the total number per order.

He must have informed the Staten Island store because I stopped in after work and they took 5 internet coupons.

You get hit and miss customer service all the time at King Kullen and employees have an attitude towards couponers to begin with and more so if youre like me and use the coupons to score totally free items on a regular basis. I have actually had my coupons looked at (internet ones) like they were from another planet or some sort of oddity . I seldom shop King Kullen for anything other than freebies using coupons and the odd special I need and can use at a great price. I dislike being treated or made to feel like I am being treated less than a worthwhile customer because I shop smart. This attitude began with the Waldbaums ownership at this store and carries over to today.

Waldbaums wont take internet coupons because they were burned big time by customers using bogus coupons and even pressed charges and succeeded in having a conviction against a guy in Brooklyn.

On Staten Island with all the competition we have a great environment for the customer to save money on pricing and coupons being doubled albeit sometimes with some hassles and limits

Great deal at King Kullen this week.

They have Starbuck's ice cream pints on sale for $2 each. There is a printable $1 coupon here

www.starbucksicecream.com

King Kullen will double it, so the ice cream is free.

UncleJr said: igost said: UncleJr said: when u say 'doubles coupons up to $1', is that including $1 cuz most of those stores are by me and they only double coupons up to .99 cents. of course, i'm not in SI, i'm on they other side of the bridge, but i didn't think it would vary that much.

when stores say "up to" it usually includes that amount, that is what was confusing about your post, which is why i asked for clarification.

as u can see from their circular HERE, they use the same terminology. this was from the SI ad.
Error 404
The URL that you requested, /AandPPathmarkPathmark06122009/breakouts/b504950_19.jpg, is not available on this server.
Red.

mmyk72 said: What are your experience with doubling coupons that says "do not double pt triple". Do stores double them anyways?

Most coupons that indicate "do not double/triple" are specifically coded (preceded by a tiny 9) to prevent doubling. If the coupon begins with a tiny 5, they will still automatically double; in that case, it depends on how picky your cashier is. At least, this has been my experience.

ANightShopper said: UncleJr said: igost said: UncleJr said: when u say 'doubles coupons up to $1', is that including $1 cuz most of those stores are by me and they only double coupons up to .99 cents. of course, i'm not in SI, i'm on they other side of the bridge, but i didn't think it would vary that much.

Error 404
The URL that you requested, /AandPPathmarkPathmark06122009/breakouts/b504950_19.jpg, is not available on this server.
Red.

that link is from their weekly circular from JUNE 2009. why are u surprised it is no longer available? if u want to see what i was referring to, all u need to do is pull up their current ad.

it can be easily found by going to their homepage www.pathmark.com and looking up their staten island ad.
right on the front page it clearly says double coupons up to 99

OP just chose to use his own terminology rather than the convention that all supermarkets use, which can confuse the readers.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014