Large 6 Ft. Arborvitae At Costco 19.99!

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I peeked into my local Costo and found some astounding deals on greenery. The arborvitae's were huge in over sized containers.

I stopped by HD and other garden shops and found them selling shrubs half this size for more than double the price!

There were also some astounding deals on Japanese Maples and Topiary trees selling at a fraction of what I saw them elsewhere.

They all seemed extremely well cared for, healthy and robust.

If this is a repeat, please just delete. Thanks.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I saw two raggy ass 7' LIVE Oak trees for $37.99 yesterday.

bad311 (May. 01, 2010 @ 1:52p) |

Our local Menards also had a nice supply of Arbor Vitae -- we picked up 2 7' trees for $25 each yesterday. Compare the ... (more)

Mimmysue (May. 02, 2010 @ 9:47a) |

they do grow super fast. are you supposed to trim these trees?

i have a few in the backyard and they are getting too b... (more)

bas2000 (May. 02, 2010 @ 10:37a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

iceplusplus said:

If this is a repeat, please just delete. Thanks.

i highly doubt this is a repeat post, mon ami...it surely is unique..

The Costco on Michigan Road in Indy had the small ones for $15, but I'll have to go back to see if this is a new shipment/sale. At which Costco did you see this?

Of all the arborvitae deals I've ever seen on FW, this is by far the best!

Wish I had this a year ago when we put about 15 of them into a hedgerow.

Do all Costco's have a nursery area? I've never seen it before

jmackdaddy said: Do all Costco's have a nursery area? I've never seen it before

nope none have them. they just get in plants now and then. its kind of a grab bag store. surprises all the time!

daugenet said: jmackdaddy said: Do all Costco's have a nursery area? I've never seen it before

nope none have them. they just get in plants now and then. its kind of a grab bag store. surprises all the time!

Not quite true. Our Costco in Concord CA has one.

green for green op.

Costco Arborvitae
Disclaimer

Planted Arborvitae
Disclaimer
I went back to the NW Indy Costco and saw that they had 3-4 ft. arborvitae in 5-gallon buckets for $17.69 each. There were some in back of the group that looked taller, but they were merely stacked on top of other buckets. No sign of 6-footers for $20.

EDIT: We bought 6 of these and got them planted. I think it's $110 well spent!

Got some last year. Seems to be much cheaper this year.

Saw a guy returned a dead tree. Costco advantage, fool proof.

f2000sa said: Got some last year. Seems to be much cheaper this year.

FWIW, if you can't find this deal, Lowe's sells them for around $20 for a 3'-4' version. Not the same thing, obviously, but they do offer a one-year "warranty" if you keep your pots (with UPC).

f2000sa said: Got some last year. Seems to be much cheaper this year.

Home Depot and Lowes (and most other reputable nurseries) also offer a warranty on plants.

ash78 said: Of all the arborvitae deals I've ever seen on FW, this is by far the best!

AH! That's what all that bustle was; I won't be alarmed now!

quickNdirty said: f2000sa said: Got some last year. Seems to be much cheaper this year.

Home Depot and Lowes (and most other reputable nurseries) also offer a warranty on plants.

ash78 said: Of all the arborvitae deals I've ever seen on FW, this is by far the best!

a true zep fan knows that song forward and backwards

Most Lowes, Homedepot and I suspect also Costco generally get their gardening stock from local suppliers. So the size and quality may vary greatly from city to city. I'm waiting to get a good deal on these myself. There are no costco's in my city otherwise I would jump on this. At my local home depots/lowes stores they have arborvitae bushes about four feet tall in 5 gallon buckets are going for $35 each!

Just make sure you plant them according to the recommended spacing. When they are small like this , it is tempting to put them closer together. Don't, as you will regret it for sure. These grow extremely fast, and if they are too close together, they will die.

The ones I saw were anything but small. I am hoping the ones I bought last year at this price are this size before I retire in 15 years.

uafgrad said: Just make sure you plant them according to the recommended spacing. When they are small like this , it is tempting to put them closer together. Don't, as you will regret it for sure. These grow extremely fast, and if they are too close together, they will die.

You are SO right about this! One of my neighbors planted a bunch of very little ones in their corner backyard a few years ago. I laughed and laughed, thinking it would be a century before they grew into anything worthwhile. Flash forward a bit, and it is VERY overgrown now - way too crowded!

If you are in the HD's garden club email list, you should received a coupon for B1G1 on any trees. Just a FYI

quickNdirty said: ash78 said: Of all the arborvitae deals I've ever seen on FW, this is by far the best!

Hmm...now if I could only find a deal on a sprinkling for the May Queen.

dbond79 said: quickNdirty said: ash78 said: Of all the arborvitae deals I've ever seen on FW, this is by far the best!

So it seems that for deals on plants there are at least two paths you can go by.

ooo japanese maples? which costco?

Mexican Agave?

If you have deer in your neighborhood, you might want to consider another type of plant. These are like popcorn to deer.

doncrescas said: dbond79 said: quickNdirty said: ash78 said: Of all the arborvitae deals I've ever seen on FW, this is by far the best!

So it seems that for deals on plants there are at least two paths you can go by.

Rah-rah-ah-ah-ah-ah!
Roma-roma-mamaa!
Ga-ga-ooh-la-la!
Want your bad romance

I bought quite a few of these last year as a wind break. 25% died. The others are doing great. They credited me for the dead ones right away. I will replace them this year. They are a great deal.

insightcdc said: If you have deer in your neighborhood, you might want to consider another type of plant. These are like popcorn to deer.

i was just about to ask if these were deer-proof(as if there were such a thing).

fortunately, deer don't come into our backyard anymore because of our dogs - they just walk up to the fence, around it to the other side and down to the neighbor's house for more food. So, I may be able to plant a couple of these without fear.

Costco generally sells the same plants in the same stores each year at the same points in the season. The evergreen hedge plants, such as this one, typically come in early to mid spring and again late in the summer - or during their ideal planting times. They will continue to rotate different annuals and perennials throughout the spring and summer. It is important to get them from Costco when they first arrive as they are not watered once they are in the store (or at least in my experience). Iíve had excellent luck with the health and size of my Costco purchases, but be careful and check the health or shock when you purchase. The good news is, just a hassle, Costco will always take something back. Also note, that with many of their plants, they may only have them for a week or two; so if you see something you want, donít wait. They had amazing peony trees last year for about 1/3 of what a local nursery was selling them for (30 bucks vs 100 bucks), but I waited and alas they were gone.

Suffice to say, I have used mature plantings from Costco to fill up a lot of corners in my yard. For those in Hosta friendly areas, just wait another couple of weeks and pick some of them up. They are full size from Costco and beautiful!

dbond79 said: quickNdirty said: ash78 said: Of all the arborvitae deals I've ever seen on FW, this is by far the best!

"Spring clean"

/scuse me while i kiss this guy

Item # is 20134. According to the guy at costco they are more like 5 footers. The west springfield, mass store has 800 coming in any day and the same with the enfield, ct store. Does any one know the return policy on these if they die? Is it a full year like Home Depot?

These 7 gallon thuja's are a minimum of 5 feet from soil to tip and 18 inches wide at the base. At least according to Costco's requirements. YMMV as to the sizes in your area.

indianafanatic said: I went back to the NW Indy Costco and saw that they had 3-4 ft. arborvitae in 5-gallon buckets for $17.69 each. There were some in back of the group that looked taller, but they were merely stacked on top of other buckets. No sign of 6-footers for $20.

Not a bad thing to get the smaller ones. Unless you need taller trees immediately, go with the smaller ones, and like others have mentioned, don't plant them too close together. They'll look sparser, but in no time, they'll fill in and be just like the trimmed taller ones you'd get now. Besides being cheaper, the smaller ones could fit in a van instead of a truck, and are lighter to move if in smaller pots.

I just went again and saw a new shipment. Some really nice small trees too. $100 for a fantastic topiary. It is odd seeing them right next to the vegetables.

doncrescas said: dbond79 said: quickNdirty said: ash78 said: Of all the arborvitae deals I've ever seen on FW, this is by far the best!

Funny how the word "hedgerow" triggers the same response in a lot of people.

do you guys know what kind of arborvitae they are? We bought some 2 years ago for $10 each - the day they were closing up their nursery shop at costco. They have them now for $20, I just am doing research on them before I determine how many more to buy and I can't find/remember which kind they are. Emeralds? They certainly aren't green giants.

thanks!

doea anyone know what kind of arborvitae they are?

Makes a perfect gift for The Knights Who Say Ni.

These are $12.99 at both Home Depot and Lowes.

Skipping 4 Messages...
they do grow super fast. are you supposed to trim these trees?

i have a few in the backyard and they are getting too big

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014