• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Prints labels that are a big 2.4" wide, which is much more useful than those 0.5" labelers.
Great for printing shipping labels, etc.
Works with PC or Mac via USB.
Compatible labeling tapes are available cheaply on eBay.
MSRP $170
Buy.com price $36 after instant rebate. Limit 2 per person. Free shipping.
http://www.buy.com/prod/q/loc/101/206746374.html
3% FW Cash Back reduces the price to $35.

Same product is $82 direct from Amazon (mostly 5 star customer reviews): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZHEVZ8

Also available for $35 from B&H (thanks lbwarped)

Rakuten.com Shopping
See Rakuten.com Shopping promo codes that earn Up to 10.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary

Well worth $36 if you sell on eBay and use PayPal to ship.

Excellent label printers but not for shipping labels unless you use paypal shipping. Neither USPS or UPS websites work with it and want you to use larger labels. What's cool is the software auto detects the type of label and applies the right formating.

sholling said: Excellent label printers but not for shipping labels unless you use paypal shipping. Neither USPS or UPS websites work with it and want you to use larger labels. What's cool is the software auto detects the type of label and applies the right formating.

I'm not sure I understand your response to Jaredb03's comment. I ship on eBay via Paypal -- but I do it using USPS. Are you saying this label maker is worthless to me?

a2travelguy said: sholling said: Excellent label printers but not for shipping labels unless you use paypal shipping. Neither USPS or UPS websites work with it and want you to use larger labels. What's cool is the software auto detects the type of label and applies the right formating.

I'm not sure I understand your response to Jaredb03's comment. I ship on eBay via Paypal -- but I do it using USPS. Are you saying this label maker is worthless to me?


What he means is that if print shipping labels directly from the USPS.com web site, they want you to print on a full size 8.5"x11" sheet. You don't need a label printer for this; just print from a regular printer.

Even cheaper at B&H: Link

My wife bought the smaller, 1/2" version of this label printer two weeks ago at Office Max. She tested it and it works very well.


Before you purchase ANY Brother label printer you should prepare yourself for the cost of actually printing ... label cartridges. My wife spent $20 (on sale) for the label printer ... which comes with a "starter" cartridge. We returned to the store to purchase a new cartridge and were shocked to find that it costs more than the printer does ... $25. Each cartridge only contains about 26 feet of tape.

The printer may be cheap but they get you with the cartridges. There are places on-line where you can save up to 40% off. You decide if it is worth it.

DUDSTER said: My wife bought the smaller, 1/2" version of this label printer two weeks ago at Office Max. She tested it and it works very well.


Before you purchase ANY Brother label printer you should prepare yourself for the cost of actually printing ... label cartridges. My wife spent $20 (on sale) for the label printer ... which comes with a "starter" cartridge. We returned to the store to purchase a new cartridge and were shocked to find that it costs more than the printer does ... $25. Each cartridge only contains about 26 feet of tape.

The printer may be cheap but they get you with the cartridges. There are places on-line where you can save up to 40% off. You decide if it is worth it.


The proprietary half inch tapes are a real ripoff, but these 2.4" x 100 foot tapes are only $25 or so at retail stores. And generic compatible tapes are half that price on eBay.

DUDSTER said: My wife bought the smaller, 1/2" version of this label printer two weeks ago at Office Max. She tested it and it works very well.


Before you purchase ANY Brother label printer you should prepare yourself for the cost of actually printing ... label cartridges. My wife spent $20 (on sale) for the label printer ... which comes with a "starter" cartridge. We returned to the store to purchase a new cartridge and were shocked to find that it costs more than the printer does ... $25. Each cartridge only contains about 26 feet of tape.

The printer may be cheap but they get you with the cartridges. There are places on-line where you can save up to 40% off. You decide if it is worth it.

Actually, there is no ink/cartridge for this printer. It's a thermal transfer printer so you only need thermal-compatible labels.

lbwarped said: Even cheaper at B&H: Link

3% FW CashBack at Buy.com, none at B&H, so net is the same.

lbwarped said: DUDSTER said: My wife bought the smaller, 1/2" version of this label printer two weeks ago at Office Max. She tested it and it works very well.


Before you purchase ANY Brother label printer you should prepare yourself for the cost of actually printing ... label cartridges. My wife spent $20 (on sale) for the label printer ... which comes with a "starter" cartridge. We returned to the store to purchase a new cartridge and were shocked to find that it costs more than the printer does ... $25. Each cartridge only contains about 26 feet of tape.

The printer may be cheap but they get you with the cartridges. There are places on-line where you can save up to 40% off. You decide if it is worth it.

Actually, there is no ink/cartridge for this printer. It's a thermal transfer printer so you only need thermal-compatible labels.


I'm sure he meant the tape cartridges. The small ones are very expensive at some stores.

Are you sure this works with Paypal, as all the paypal labels I've printed out are approx. 1/2 of a 8.5x11" paper? (i.e.5.5" wide) thus I want to check that they print the entire label on a 2.4" wide sticker?

Also does this work with Fedex.com?

cgott42 said: Also does this work with Fedex.com?
No. For Fedex and UPS, you need a Zebra label printer. The model LP2844 is the most common, but was recently discontinued and replaced with the new G-series.

johnny98 said: lbwarped said: DUDSTER said: My wife bought the smaller, 1/2" version of this label printer two weeks ago at Office Max. She tested it and it works very well.


Before you purchase ANY Brother label printer you should prepare yourself for the cost of actually printing ... label cartridges. My wife spent $20 (on sale) for the label printer ... which comes with a "starter" cartridge. We returned to the store to purchase a new cartridge and were shocked to find that it costs more than the printer does ... $25. Each cartridge only contains about 26 feet of tape.

The printer may be cheap but they get you with the cartridges. There are places on-line where you can save up to 40% off. You decide if it is worth it.

Actually, there is no ink/cartridge for this printer. It's a thermal transfer printer so you only need thermal-compatible labels.


I'm sure he meant the tape cartridges. The small ones are very expensive at some stores.



That is correct. I know of what I am talking about. The label carts run about $1 per linear foot of tape.

Ridiculous ...

Unfortunately, does not appear to be compatible with Stamps.com

My 2 cents opinion of this printer. This printer is meant to print CD/DVD labels, address return labels, shipping labels (but as stated, not UPS/FedEx), name tags, shelf stock item price labels, etc. For these purposes it is GREAT. This model has the auto cut feature built in (the QL-500 does not). Very easy to switch label sizes - simply remove the paper roll cartridge and pop in the new one. No ink at all - uses thermal printing. rolls can easily be found on eBay for less than retail (note that some rolls are simply rolls only - and must be rerolled onto an empty tape roll. Buying bulk that ways saves a lot more - if you can remember to save the empty plastic rolls! I have used this at work for the past year or more and have nothing negative to say about this printer. It is great for doing what it does best: printing labels. It includes a fantastic program as well for creating your labels, adding images/clipart, etc. and changing fonts sizes and styles. It also includes a database program where you can merge names/addresses, etc.
Very compact and robust little printer (again, as long as you aren't looking at it to print labels for UPS and FedEx!!)

Tape rolls are available as permanent or removable. white, clear and yellow background. Remember this is thermal - so you get no color. But the yellow background as 'color'. My only gripe with their tape label rolls, I wish Brother would come up with a label that would last under UV (i.e, outdoor use) without fading or weathering. This would be great to label pallet racks outside, etc.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014