• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
https://www.23andme.com/

Pretty substantial price cut from the standard prices, for example $499 regular price for the complete package, or $429 for the heath only. They've stated on their forums that they're market testing new prices for a limited time, so this price should be around for at least a bit, if you'd like to do a little googling about the service before purchasing.

Ancestry Edition: $229.00 ($204 each when 2+ kits ordered)
(NO SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED FOR REDUCED PRICE)

Health Edition: $229 with $5/month commitment for 3 months ($244 total)
(NO MULTI-KIT DISCOUNT AVAILABLE WITH THIS PRICING)

Complete Edition: $299 with $5/month commitment for 3 months ($314 total)
(NO MULTI-KIT DISCOUNT AVAILABLE WITH THIS PRICING)

There is discussion here http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1001730/ about the testing from a one day deal earlier in the year.

Member Summary
If you are enrolled in a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or Health Savings Account (HSA) you may be able to use the funds in your account to purchase genetic testing and take advantage of the tax savings that your plan offers, at least for the health or combined packages.

If so:

1. Use your FSA or HSA credit card during the online purchase process

2. Or, submit your receipt for reimbursement to your FSA or HSA administrator

Ask your plan administrator to check if you're unsure.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The ancestry kit includes:

•Relative Finder
Find genetic relatives based on your shared DNA. Browse and make contact anonymously.

•Maternal Line (Mitochondrial DNA)
23andMe covers more than 750 maternal haplogroups based on close to 2000 SNPs.

•Paternal Line (Y Chromosome)
Available for men only. 23andMe offers more than 500 paternal haplogroups based on almost 2000 SNPs.

•Ancestry Painting
See which sections of your DNA are similar to that of Asian, African, and European populations.

•Global Similarity
Compare yourself genetically to more than 50 populations around the world.

Download your mitochondrial and Y chromosome DNA data.

The health edition includes:

•Carrier Status (24 reports)
Find out if you carry inheritable markers for diseases such as breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, and Tay-Sachs.

•Disease Risk (12 reports)
Learn your genetic risk for type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and other conditions.

•Drug Response (9 reports)
Predict how you'll react to medications such as Warfarin (Coumadin®), Plavix®, and certain muscle relaxants.

•Traits (10 reports)
Discover how genetics determines your HIV resistance, lactose tolerance, muscle performance, and more.

•Cutting-edge Research (93 reports)
Get continual updates on genetic research discoveries for conditions such as bipolar disorder, longevity, lung cancer, and more.

ALL EDITIONS INCLUDE

•Easy to read, information-rich online results about your DNA.
•Secure, permanent web-based access to your genetic information.
•Saliva collection kit with a pre-paid envelope to mail your saliva sample.

Faq: https://www.23andme.com/howitworks/
Review: http://paulstamatiou.com/review-23andme-dna-testing-for-health-disease-ancestry

Anyone done this? How scary is reading the results of the health screening? I'm intrigued but nervous - can I really do anything about the information they provide?

bippie said: Anyone done this? How scary is reading the results of the health screening? I'm intrigued but nervous - can I really do anything about the information they provide?

A number of us got in on the DNA day sale, so ask away. Folks will probably chime in.

Certain information, such as some of the more sensitive medical info or matching with a very close potential relative, is locked from your view until you give explicit consent.

As to what you can do with the info, well say you saw an elevated risk of diabetes in the heath results. The typical response to that from a health professional would be to advise you to eat healthy, exercise and have regular check-ups. However, that's also the same advice you would get based on your family medical history, or just for most people in general. So, I'd say the heath results are most useful for highlighting areas you want to be sure to cover with your doctor and to read up on yourself to become educated about potential problems.

As for the ancestry scan, I personally found it very useful in my family history research. However, some genealogists who have already done extensive research have said they find it less useful for their needs.

bippie said: How scary is reading the results of the health screening?

If you had a bad experience in high school biology you could have flashbacks. The information they provide isn't definitive because a lot of the research is still preliminary. For example, my results for Alopecia Areata (a form of hair loss). The first study shows that I have slightly lower odds of contracting AA based on my rs1024161 marker. But wait, there are three other studies! One shows I have moderately higher odds of contracting AA based on my rs9479482 marker. The other two studies show that I have typical odds of contracting AA based on other markers. Does one marker trump the others? Does some combination of markers give you better results than individual markers? Are there other undiscovered markers that are more accurate? No one knows because the research hasn't been done yet.

I could freak out that I have one marker that shows I have a slightly elevated risk.
I could take comfort in knowing that I have three markers that show I have average or below average risk.
I don't worry about it because I don't have the condition.

I also got in on the DNA Day deal.

What I like:

They keep updating information on their site as new studies are done. Seven NEW health studies in the last 30 days.
Biology and genetics are a lot more interesting when they're about YOU!
One-stop shopping. They do ancestry, health, relative finder. Most companies charge a lot more and you only get one service.

What they can keep:

Every once in a while, 23andme will change their terms of service and FORCE you to agree or close your account. This is just as creepy as it sounds.
The forums are dominated by a handful of middle-aged women with nothing else going on in their lives. It's the same people posting 7+ times per thread with nothing to say over and over.
If someone asks what may seem to be a benign question of 23andme, they may not answer. A company representative will post in the thread talking about some aspect of the service and completely ignore the question. Kind of Orwellian. This happens A LOT. Creepy ^2.

Haven't scientists reported that this outfit is a hoax? The results you get are not accurate enough to make any real life decisions.

Absolutely not a hoax. Gleened lots of very useful information from my father's test and so far it's been pretty accurate. Most importantly, it shows he's sensitive to a drug he's currently on, and that was good information for his doctor. Also, shows that he could have heart attack from another drug - and sadly, he had the bad reaction from that drug before our results were back.
We love the constant updates as new things are learned about DNA.
We love the fact that he will ultimately be able to contact close relatives, he would have otherwise not known.
Highly recommend it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014