• 1 23458
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
UPDATE! The Deal Is Starting Again!

The deal on the Pandigital Novel is getting ready to start again for those who missed it the first time!

As of now, there is not an additional MIR to sweeten the deal, and we are PM's to BB&B as I don't know if the Novel will be on sale again during this next 30% off sale. I will update the OP if/when I learn of any better PM's or MIR's that pop up.

(Of note, as someone will eventually grouse about it, this deal requires a Kohl's CC.)

Witching Hour starts on September 29th at Kohl's! My Kohl's sales flyer just arrived and I actually got one of the 30% off printed coupons! Even better, Kohl's is running a Kohl's Cash promo for the ENTIRE WEEK of the sale! So, from 9/15 - 9/22 you can get 30% off at Kohl's using coupon code: LOVE2SAVE30, and earn $10 in Kohl's Cash for every $50 you spend. Kohl's Cash can be redeemed from 9/29-10/6. If you have Kohl's cash from the previous deal, you can use that purchase another Novel and reduce its cost by an additional $20.

Go into your local Kohl's store and give them an email address to get a $5 Off any purchase coupon that can be stacked with the 30% off! You can purchase various Kohl's coupons, including this one, on fleabay and other sites should you so desire.

Pricing Breakdown:
$169.99 (PM to Bed Bath & Beyond)
-$60.00 (30% Off Code: LOVE2SAVE30)
---------
$118.99 (Plus you get $20 Kohl's Cash!)
-$5.00 (Coupon for email address in store. You can possibly get this over the phone as well. Just ask when you are doing the PM over the phone!)
---------
$113.99 Final Price

Ladies and gentlemen... Start your PM'ing engines!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Yes, the first night i had it, it went to sleep and in the morning the battery life was almost where i left it. And no, ... (more)

spidy (Nov. 15, 2010 @ 12:24p) |

Are you able to download all the reader app that work with the open platform? How about ADE? Your right about the apps, ... (more)

tightwadlet (Nov. 15, 2010 @ 1:17p) |

You have to use mobipocket reader to know what i am talking about. It is simply the best and since Amazon bought them, t... (more)

spidy (Nov. 15, 2010 @ 2:15p) |

The Pandigital Novel is a full fledged Android tablet hiding under an eReader's clothing. You can learn how to hack your Novel at Slatedroid Here!

The Novel ships with Android 2.0, and community development efforts are well underway to get this tablet to Android 2.1 and 2.2 in the near future. Exciting stuff is happening in the very active Novel community. If you have been thinking about toying around with an Android tablet, this is the least expensive way to get your foot in the door and have some fun. It's also a very capable eReader as well.

Slatedroid links:

Think you have to have the latest Pandigital firmware before you put these on:

8/20 firmware mod with the Market built-in: Slatedroid Link 1

8/20 mod with Cruz Reader UI added (alpha build, brand new and not heavily tested yet): Slatedroid Link 2

Here is the newbie wiki: http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-android-tablet-discussion/3704-newbie-how-guides-wiki-link-here.html
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Wineaux - The Novel (white one) pictured in your deal ships with Android 2.0. The Black version ships with 1.6. You may want to correct the quick summary.

My fiance and I both have these, and they are the best ~$100 we've spent in a long time. This is about as cheap as the come, and I'm not sure how much longer they will keep selling the white version (more capable) now that the black one (smaller, lighter) is out.

Whoops! You are right, the White version ships with 2.0 and the Black version which has less memory, ships with version 1.5. The new Velocity Micro's Cruz reader that just went on sale at Borders is a white Novel with a few very minor cosmetic differences, but it ships with Android 2.0 for a LOT more money. It shouldn't take us too long to port over VM's version of Android 2.0 which has soft buttons (We already have firmware dumps from a shipping Cruz) to the white Novel. Of note, the Cruz is locked at a much lower clock speed than the Novel.

nm, you figured it out.

If you aren't going to PM for the extra $5, then you don't forget you 2% Fat Cash which is better than nothing!

Do you PM online or B&M? If you do it online how do you get the Kohls cash?

Do they sell these in-store or online?

We've had folks who were able to PM to the Walgreens ad (It is in the latest Walgreens store flyer.) at their local store. Kohl's is really good about PM'ing and the use of coupons. Even if you didn't get the 30% off code, you can just write SEPTEMBER30 on a post-it note and bring that it.

The Walgreens ad clearly says that it is not sold in stores, will PM work? Also, is this the link? http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/electronicsgames/gadgets/PRD~685112/Pandigital+Novel+7in+eReader.jsp

So is the Kohls credit card requirement just to get the Kohls cash or is it required to use the 30% off code?

Need CC to get 30% off.

Been looking at getting a Nook for a birthday gift, but have also been considering this.
Just finished reading this discussion and it seems that if i was going to buy it for me (being the gadget freak that i am), it would be a no brainer.
But buying it as an ereader primarily and for my technically challenged girlfriend, i think the Nook is the way to go.
From the experiences of others in that discussion and from what i have read elsewhere, is that reading an eink screen in direct sunlight is far better than an LCD.
Maybe ill give both a shot and make my own decision.

I have no problem reading my Novel in the sunlight, and as a side note, I rarely read in the direct sunlight here in the Deep South because it's too damned HOT! I prefer to do my reading in the shade where it's a little cooler...

Text

This is really awful! Is this before they fixed it..hopefully yes....

Here are the official specs: http://www.pandigital.net/search.asp?productid=392

@LOTL, that was a good link to go through. How is the video experience on this? Nobody seemed to have mentioned it. I have a Kindle so I am not really looking for another e-reader, but something that is more versatile and the android part definitely makes it attractive.
The good:
- Long battery life (6hrs)
- Android apps
- Wifi
- SD card expandability
- Big (compared to a phone) color screen great for browsing
The bad:
- No mic (big deal, means, no audio chat)
- No webcam (not that big deal)
- Can't watch videos on it (well at least I can't find any references to how well it works, so assuming it is not good for that)

I am going to pass this deal up mainly because, it is not as versatile as I first thought.

Specs say it reads MPEG4 video files....pretty standard...

If you are using H.264 files encoded for the iPod/iPhone, then you'll be pretty good on video. Keep the resolution reasonable and the bitrate at a medium level and you'll get good video. I have played cartoons like The Iron Giant for my son on mine and it is really good. I don't have any complaints. Folks running high bitrate/high res videos experience some jerkiness. You'll need to play around with your encoding settings till you get to what you like. There is a lot of working going on right now specifically on video acceleration and hardware decoding for an upcoming user created ROM for the Novel. If you are into coding Android we'd love to have your experience and expertise over on www.slatedroid.com.

I love this thing - best 100 bucks I ever spent. But, you need to hack it (which isn't too difficult). x2 with what Wineaux mentioned, just lurk on Slatedroid.com for details.

I actually created my own mod that gives you are working Android Market and bypasses the Pandigital software entirely - if you can run a firmware upgrade, you can get this hack - it's that simple. AND, there's a brand new (not very stable) hack to actually layer the new Cruz Reader UI on this Pandigital device. That's because they're the same hardware!

Videos are "OK" - iPod Touch based MP4's play on it, but it can be choppy at times (again, depending on size and bitrate) - it's a limitation of the hardware. And the WiFi is not as stable as it could be (the devs at Slatedroid.com are trying to rectify that). Still, for $100 it's a great device - music, basic video, Pandora, Facebook, Kindle/Borders/Aldiko ereaders, web browsing. Heck, you can even use it as a digital frame when you get sick of it!

Thanks for your info Roebeet....could you take a look at the video review I posted and let me know if your unit has a slow response time like the one they have? I want to think that this has been fixed by now, firmware etc...I would say its essentially unacceptable as shown. Did yours respond like this until you hacked it?

Thanks for your time..

Remember that $15 rebate is only valid if you purchase it at Kohl's. I purchased this back in July and it crapped out on me. I can't get this little gadget out of my mind, so I'm going to give it another shot. At $164.99 - 30% = $115.49 - $15 rebate = 100.49. Plus for every $50 I spend I get $10 Kohl's cash ($20). This will come to $80.49 before taxes for me.

Shame this deal requires a Kohl's card. Great deal, but not worth signing up for a card for :/

haridsv said: The Walgreens ad clearly says that it is not sold in stores, will PM work? Also, is this the link? http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/electronicsgames/gadgets/PRD~685...
They wouldnt for that very reason at my BBB so dont get your hopes up.

roebeet said: I love this thing - best 100 bucks I ever spent. But, you need to hack it (which isn't too difficult). x2 with what Wineaux mentioned, just lurk on Slatedroid.com for details.

I actually created my own mod that gives you are working Android Market and bypasses the Pandigital software entirely - if you can run a firmware upgrade, you can get this hack - it's that simple. AND, there's a brand new (not very stable) hack to actually layer the new Cruz Reader UI on this Pandigital device. That's because they're the same hardware!

Videos are "OK" - iPod Touch based MP4's play on it, but it can be choppy at times (again, depending on size and bitrate) - it's a limitation of the hardware. And the WiFi is not as stable as it could be (the devs at Slatedroid.com are trying to rectify that). Still, for $100 it's a great device - music, basic video, Pandora, Facebook, Kindle/Borders/Aldiko ereaders, web browsing. Heck, you can even use it as a digital frame when you get sick of it!

http://www.slatedroid.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=47

Just see the Google Experience Alpha firmware vs the pandigital stock firmware. Looks like the process is just to have a zip on an SD card and boot with the volume + pressed for 5 seconds. Are you runnning the google package or what are you running on this? Thanks

@grahame To be honest, I don't even use their apps - I just hack it so that it acts just like an Android tablet. And it's a lot more responsive that that. In particular, the swiping in Aldiko is a lot better than the default PDN app in that video.

Is it an iPad? No way. But, it very usable, assuming you hack it and get away from the Pandigital software. If I have any time today, maybe I'll upload a youtube video of my own.

@DamnoIT That's correct. Some of the newer mods are already pre-packaged and you just need to run a firmware update (with the modded ZIP) to bypass the Pandigital software and get the GE alpha. I have a mod of their 8/20 on the Slatedroid site.

I'm actually running a hack of the Cruz Reader UI on my Novel, as of last night. So far, it's pretty stable.

roebeet said:

@DamnoIT That's correct. Some of the newer mods are already pre-packaged and you just need to run a firmware update (with the modded ZIP) to bypass the Pandigital software and get the GE alpha. I have a mod of their 8/20 on the Slatedroid site.

I'm actually running a hack of the Cruz Reader UI on my Novel, as of last night. So far, it's pretty stable.

Where did you pull that from or is that not available from slatedroid? Thanks

Slatedroid links:

8/20 mod with Cruz Reader UI added (alpha build, brand new and not heavily tested yet): Slatedroid Link 2

how is the battery life?

We had some users buy the Cruz Reader, back-up their firmware to a PC, and then uploaded that to Slatedroid. Users like Roebeet are cleaning it up and making it all nice and pretty for the rest of us right now. The Cruz UI is officially in Alpha right now as they get the bugs worked out and combine the best of it with the best of what we've hacked and created for the Novel. Seriously, this is a lot for fun for $100. You'll get your moneys worth!

f2000sa said: how is the battery life?
About 5 hours with WiFi turned on, and about 8-9 hours with it turned off. Pretty much a good days worth of use before you have to plug it in and charge it. It charges pretty quickly too, and you can use it while it's charging in you are near a plug.

Battery life depends on use - video playback / WiFi use will drain faster. From my experience, 5-6 hours is the real-time average, with e-reading being the least amount of drain.

One caveat - you have to charge using the AC adapter. There's no USB charging, so be aware of that. It does take the exact same charger as the Cruz Reader (see, I told you they are the same hardware) so if there are after-market chargers for the Cruz, they should also work on the Novel.

thansk for the information

roebeet said: Slatedroid links:

Can you please write step by step instructions? I went to the website and don't understand how to hack it. Never done it and I don't know much about working on computers. but want to get one of these and try this. Please write some step by step instructions. I would really apprecate it. Thanks roebeet

So it is good with playing h.264 encoded video as long as it is the right bitrate and resolution. Can you not copy the divx movies as they are and be able to play? Regarding the battery life, how is it in standby mode? How long would it last if you unplug after fully charging and never turn it on? E.g., my netbook will last about 3 full days in standby if I unplug it after a full charge and never use it. I am basically trying to see how efficient its power saving mode is.

Divx/Xvid would need a separate software-based player (i.e. something like Rockplayer for Android), and I've found it very choppy (since there's no hardware acceleration). If you need a tablet for Xvid's, the Novel is not the device for you.

Standby is tricky, as its different depending on the mod. There have been issues with the GE mod where the device doesn't stay in standby mode for very long (a known issue). And I haven't really tested the stock firmware with standby.

The Novel will completely power down after being in sleep mode for a set period of time, and I've had mine go for close to a week without charging if I wasn't actively using it.

How do you put library Epub books on this? Also, how do you import, transfer calibre converted books into this?

Tried one of these last month for a few minutes and returned that same day
Do you self a favor and don't buy into the iPad hype, or become a beta tester for these companies that are dumping these unfinished products.
I would gladly pay twice as much for something that really works and fully supported without hacks or custom firmware. If you wait a bit longer (before the end of this year) you'll see some good ones from reputable brand names like Asus or Acer.

Just pay a visit to Engadget or this list Android Tablets for 2010 Holidays so you could have an idea of what's coming!

Which version do I use? There are three? do I still do the firmware update on the pandangital site?

Skipping 249 Messages...
You have to use mobipocket reader to know what i am talking about. It is simply the best and since Amazon bought them, they do not have any app for android and have no plans to release that either.

I have tried so many reader apps on the PD novel, and to be honest with you, all of them are bad. Nothing comes closer to Mobi. Also with Aldiko, i get a full screen and cannot get back to home screen at all. Also cannot change font size, hightlight etc etc. I have to turn the device on and off again. sucks using that. So i am looking for a nice e-reader...that is all.

tightwadlet said: Are you able to download all the reader app that work with the open platform? How about ADE? Your right about the apps, more you download faster the battery drains. I have the cruz ui from Roebeet. I like it except for dropping wifi, time doesn't stay correct, battery life, can't see screen outdoors, and no flash motherboard doesn't. Support it. I have four readers this one I like to use when the lights are low or off in bed. What helps with battery life iss I went to every app on the device under settings or preferences and unchecked everything that might drain the battery such as auto starts, enable location, etc.. I constantly kill apps I'm not using with task manager also I make sure I turn off wifi when I'm not using it. Oh and i also set the display to turn off in one minute or less. Now I can surf the web for about 3 or 4 hours on one battery charge. I can read for much longer with wifi turned off.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014