• Go to page :
  • 1 2 34
  • Text Only
garlicnun said: Cell phone service always has been a rip off for me.
Do I have to buy a new GO phone to get this plan or I can use my current unlocked nokia phone?
Also, can I convert my current postpaid number to this plan?

RE:
Do I have to buy a new GO phone to get this plan or I can use my current unlocked nokia phone?

Your PLAN is on the
sim, not the phone.

MrVietnam said: JB137 said: sloppy1 said: I called about switching from my present ATT 25c/min flat rate plan with no monthly fee to their
10c/min plan.

ATT CSR said the 10c/min plan has manadtory 19.99/mo charge (to cover data use, regardless if you you use data)!

I do not think that it is correct.

Taken from their website, it clearly states that fee is optional:

Text Messaging Unlimited − $19.99/month† (optional)

Data $.01/KB
Pay Per Use or add Data Packages

RE:
Taken from their website, it clearly states that fee is optional:

Great, I will take the plan and opt out of the charges for it.

I also switched effortlessly by dialing 611. Shortly before my existing minutes expire later this month, I'll throw in another $100 and not worry about it for a year.

Depending on your usage. I'm sticking with T-Mobile for unlimited text for $15/month with .10 per minute. I put $100 for a year and when it runs out, I put another $100 for another year and the existing minutes roll over. For AT&T, I have to choose $2 Unlimited Daily Talk and Text which will be more per month because I mainly text.

If you don't text, two plans are the same but check the coverage map for your area.

For data, AT&T has $.01/KB Pay Per Use or add Data Packages, didn't see data for T-Mobile prepaid...

bopgun said: HighTechnology said: boujie said: Can you use an iPhone w/ Pay As You Go?

Yes, you can, but your iPhone needs to be jailbroken and unlocked. I know this sounds odd that you need to unlock to use AT&T, but the internet settings to use the data need to be overridden to do this (which is why the jailbreak/unlock is necessary). Doing this takes about 15 minutes and is very easy if you follow a good tutorial.

I currently use a Go Phone SIM on an iPod 3G, and it works great. If you mostly have access to wi-fi, you'll be okay with the 100mb of data per month. The unused balance rolls over month-to-month (up to 300MB total per AT&T's web site).

Iphone on PAYG - interesting. Do you a link to a good tutorial? thanks.

Unfortunately, there isn't a single great tutorial, as there are several differnt versions of the iPhone, and several differnt versions of the firmware. iOS 4.01 looks the same but is slightly different for each model iPhone. So there is not quite a one-stop shopping experience to do this.

The only version that can't quite work yet is 4.1 -- if you've upgraded your device to 4.1 (not 4.01), then the modem firmware has been updated and you can't unlock it (yet) -- it can still be jailbroken though. However, if you have 4.01 or earlier you can jailbreak/unlock and also upgrade to 4.1 via a hybrid firmware (it builds a hybrid firmware from 4.1 without the modem firmware being upgraded).

For those using iOS versions prior to 4.1
The following site has the best, most straight-forward information in tutorial format, based on which device you have and which software you have:
iClarified

I previously jailbroke/unlocked my iPhone 3G on 4.01 using RedSn0W to jailbreak and Ultrasn0W to unlock. It was very easy to do and worked perfectly. Unfortunately, 4.01 is really laggy on the iPhone 3G, and the 4.1 upgrade that was released a couple of weeks back does solve the problems, but thus far is not unlockable.

For those using iOS versions prior to 4.1 that want to upgrade to 4.1
Desperate to find a fix, I discovered Sn0wbreeze 2, which creates a hybrid file that you use to upgrade (in my case from 4.01 to 4.1). This hybrid firmware file is built without the modem firmware upgrade, so it preserves the ability to unlock on 4.1. While not as simple/straightforward as RedSn0w, it did work fine, although I had to use the other tool on the site (iREB) to force my phone to take the firmware upgrade. I would suggest reading up on the inforamtion in the forums before downloading:
Sn0wBreeze

Once jailbroken and unlocked, the last step is to change the APN which is basically the server settings. This is really easy as someone developed a tool to do it. You need to do this from a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone (on wi-fi since the data won't work yet) and you may need to email the settings to yourself and retrieve them on the iPhone (since the direct patch didn't work for me). So before you do this, you need to setup the wi-fi on the iPhone and get your email working. Once that works on wi-fi, then from the iPhone's browser go to http://www.unlockit.co.nz and then select AT&T from the drop down (it may show wap.cingular.com after AT&T) and email the settings to your self. Then open the email and double click on the attachment and it will prompt you to confirm you want to change your APN settings. Once changed, you're good to go.

As always with firmware updates and hacks, read up all you can and remember you do so at your own risk. That being said, I don't recall coming across anyone who said they truly bricked their iPhone using these tools.

It's about time. Did anyone read the Bloomberg article that predicts that cell phone plans will go as low as $10 per month within the next five years?

Sorry, "$2 per day only on days used" means that when I don't make a call or receive phone calls, I won't pay for that day???

Or I have to TURN OFF my phone if I dont want to pay on that day? Thanks.

missasia said: Sorry, "$2 per day only on days used" means that when I don't make a call or receive phone calls, I won't pay for that day???

Or I have to TURN OFF my phone if I dont want to pay on that day? Thanks.

As long as you do not use you phone to make or receive call, message, you will not be charge for that day.
You do not need to turn your phone off. I keep my phone always on.

sloppy1 said: I called about switching from my present ATT 25c/min flat rate plan with no monthly fee to their
10c/min plan.

ATT CSR said the 10c/min plan has manadtory 19.99/mo charge (to cover data use, regardless if you you use data)!

Dial 611 and listen to the prompts. Easy to do.

Hey guys,
I'm a little confused. I currently have the .25 cent plan.
On the web site, it doesn't look like this .25 cent plan even exists any more. Does anyone know if it still does?
Under the old .10 cent plan, you would be charged a dollar for each day you used the plan on top of the .10 cents. At least that was my understanding.
So, under this new .10 cent plan, are you being charged a dollar on days you actually use the phone?
If not, it's a no brainer to switch.
Thanks.

john73 said: Hey guys,
I'm a little confused. I currently have the .25 cent plan.
On the web site, it doesn't look like this .25 cent plan even exists any more. Does anyone know if it still does?
Under the old .10 cent plan, you would be charged a dollar for each day you used the plan on top of the .10 cents. At least that was my understanding.
So, under this new .10 cent plan, are you being charged a dollar on days you actually use the phone?
If not, it's a no brainer to switch.
Thanks.
Its the no brainer option.

The old $.25 plan now only costs $.10.

Thanks WDEagle,

I just didn't see where it stated that the new .10 cent plan was replacing the old .25 cent plan.

I also don't see where it states that with the new .10 cent plan that you won't be charged a dollar on days that you actually use the phone.

Thanks

FUK!!! I just switched to mingo wireless 5 dollar plan

The text messages are too expensive. Page Plus is only 8 cents per text. And, the minutes are 10 cents or lower. Plus, you get Verizon's service on Page Plus.

john73 said: Thanks WDEagle,

I just didn't see where it stated that the new .10 cent plan was replacing the old .25 cent plan.

I also don't see where it states that with the new .10 cent plan that you won't be charged a dollar on days that you actually use the phone.

Thanks
GoPhone Pay as you Go
Look at the column on the right for Simple Rate Plan - no Plan Charge and 10 cents a min.

Can I purchase a pay-as-you-go sim card from ATT without a phone?

Thanks jimates,

I saw that, but wasn't totally sure about whether or not you got the dollar charged when you actually used the phone.

I guess since it doesn't say anything about a charge for days when you actually use the phone, that I was being a little paranoid.

Time to call and make the switch.

Thanks again.

john73 said: Thanks jimates,

I saw that, but wasn't totally sure about whether or not you got the dollar charged when you actually used the phone.

I guess since it doesn't say anything about a charge for days when you actually use the phone, that I was being a little paranoid.

Time to call and make the switch.

Thanks again.

Use the 611 method

Thanks WDEagle. Will do.

$2 unlimited per day, another plan is for $60 unlimited per month. why would anyone still go for $60 monthly unlimited? why go wholesale when retail has the same equivalent price. and if it is february, i'd be shortchanged if i go for the $60 unlimited monthly.

dplee said: $2 unlimited per day, another plan is for $60 unlimited per month. why would anyone still go for $60 monthly unlimited? why go wholesale when retail has the same equivalent price. and if it is february, i'd be shortchanged if i go for the $60 unlimited monthly.

You are totally right.

The plan designer at ATT might have brain-damaged.

Clearly this is better for some people, but under the old $1/day used plan the minutes to other AT&T phones were free (after the daily dollar charge). For my particular situation, that works better so I'll keep my old plan for now.

yesidonoitall said: garlicnun said: Cell phone service always has been a rip off for me.

RE:

Your PLAN is on the
sim, not the phone.

I was told that an AT&T SIM for this plan is $5 and can be obtained at any AT&T phone store.

I bought my Nokia cell phone in Vietnam and whenever I am in Vietnam I use a SIM from a Vietnamese phone company called Mobifone. It totally doesn't matter what phone you are using as long as you buy the AT&T SIM, right?

Is there an activation fee? How much is that?

Is the 10 cents a minute rate for talk inclusive of any taxes? It is 10 cents a minute no matter if I make a call or someone calls me, right? I heard even if the other caller gets voice mail that I still have to pay for their call. Is voice mail an optional feature?

MrVietnam said:

Data $.01/KB

So, if I don't buy a monthly data plan, it costs $1 to view a 100kB web page?

SilverDL said: Clearly this is better for some people, but under the old $1/day used plan the minutes to other AT&T phones were free (after the daily dollar charge). For my particular situation, that works better so I'll keep my old plan for now.

Same with Verizon's prepaid, which I am using for my decades-old land-line number. My father calls often, using his Verizon cell phone. A 30 minute call would be $1 - and then only if I did not answer the phone earlier in the day.

OTOH, with my ATT powered Net10
phone, now that the deals seem to be gone - I am finally going to break free from Tracfones horrid service and move over to ATT.

ATT and Verizon were the holdouts in the price battles of the prepaid market @ 25¢/minute or a daily fee. This is a major move in the downward spiral of phone costs. If ATT offered a WiFi enabled prepaid phone, life would be wonderful.

MrVietnam said: yesidonoitall said: garlicnun said: Cell phone service always has been a rip off for me.

RE:

Your PLAN is on the
sim, not the phone.

I was told that an AT&T SIM for this plan is $5 and can be obtained at any AT&T phone store.

I bought my Nokia cell phone in Vietnam and whenever I am in Vietnam I use a SIM from a Vietnamese phone company called Mobifone. It totally doesn't matter what phone you are using as long as you buy the AT&T SIM, right?

Is there an activation fee? How much is that?

Is the 10 cents a minute rate for talk inclusive of any taxes? It is 10 cents a minute no matter if I make a call or someone calls me, right? I heard even if the other caller gets voice mail that I still have to pay for their call. Is voice mail an optional feature?

Just do what I do... use google voice as the main number with an E71 as a gophone "pager". I set GV to transcribe the voicemail and email it to me. On the phone, I have it set to automatically reject all calls so no charges.
I buy into the 100mb twice, and maintain with the 1mb, so about 210mb for the year + with smartconnect 3G/wifi auto switching, and with $90 for $100 refill, that comes out to $7.50/mo for all the texts/emails I use. If I really must, I can use up some $ to make/take emergency calls or just use voip.

you know what is messed up the go plan for unlimited voice and text with 200mb data is cheaper then getting stuck with a 2 year plan.

maynard7 said: The text messages are too expensive. Page Plus is only 8 cents per text. And, the minutes are 10 cents or lower. Plus, you get Verizon's service on Page Plus.

Ah, but Page Plus doesn't offer any text packages, except unlimited (or as part of the 1200 minute + 1200 texts for $30/mo). FWIW, I have a PP phone too, which I use when I don't want to carry my iPhone or work BlackBerry.

AT&T offers $4.99 for 200 messages, which rollover if you renew. They also offer auto-renewal, so I have 360 messages sitting in my account. So if you do 25+ messages a month, you should get either the $4.99 (200 message pack) or the $19.99 unlimited pack.

Actually, if you do a lot of calling and/or texting, you might want to do the $2 per day plan.

How much is the data plan? for the prepaid

taxmantoo said: MrVietnam said:

Data $.01/KB

So, if I don't buy a monthly data plan, it costs $1 to view a 100kB web page?

Yes, which is exactly why I have the APN on my prepaid Iphone set to a bogus address to insure that the phone can never access the ATT data networks. WiFi works just fine for me.

HighTechnology said: maynard7 said: The text messages are too expensive. Page Plus is only 8 cents per text. And, the minutes are 10 cents or lower. Plus, you get Verizon's service on Page Plus.

Ah, but Page Plus doesn't offer any text packages, except unlimited (or as part of the 1200 minute + 1200 texts for $30/mo). FWIW, I have a PP phone too, which I use when I don't want to carry my iPhone or work BlackBerry.

AT&T offers $4.99 for 200 messages, which rollover if you renew. They also offer auto-renewal, so I have 360 messages sitting in my account. So if you do 25+ messages a month, you should get either the $4.99 (200 message pack) or the $19.99 unlimited pack.

Actually, if you do a lot of calling and/or texting, you might want to do the $2 per day plan.

From the Pageplus web site:

Power Text 2000
$10.95 Monthly Add-On Plan
2,000 Text Messages for $10.95 per month
Power Text is an add-on bundle that can be combined with your current Standard, Unlimited Nights and Weekends, or Unlimited 24/7 plan.

And this is the cost if you just have a standard refill card (with no texting add-on):

Text Messages (SMS) $0.08 Per Message Sent or Received
International Text Messaging $0.20 Per Message
Picture Messaging (MMS) $0.25 + Data Transport* Per Message Sent or Received
Data Transport* $0.0012/KB ($1.20/MB)

In addition, with PP if you add another card to your phone before the expiration date of the current card your unused $/minutes will not be lost - their own version of rollover. So far PP has worked well for me - we switched 4 AT&T phones to Pageplus over the last few months. No loss in features and quality, but I estimate I will be saving $700 to $800 a year on our cell phone service.

fouroaks said: you know what is messed up the go plan for unlimited voice and text with 200mb data is cheaper then getting stuck with a 2 year plan.

You are correct.

2-year contract:

Unlimited Phone minutes: $75
Iphone 200mb Data: $15
Unlimited Messages: $15

Total per month: $105

Pay as you go:

Unlimited phone minutes + Unlimited Text + 200mb Data: $75

Prepaid wins by a landslide

I have 2 questions:

If I have the $2 plan, I can ignore the phone and not make calls. However, what if I send or receive a text message? Would that activate the $2 charge??

Also, I currently have the $0.25/min plan (I almost never use my phone, but just to keep a "home number"). However, sometimes, I'd like to use the phone quite a bit. How "quick" can I switch to the $2 plan and back? I.e. if I need to make several calls today, can I call 611 or get on the website and switch plans, then make my calls, then go back on the website to switch back?

LeoHouston said: fouroaks said: you know what is messed up the go plan for unlimited voice and text with 200mb data is cheaper then getting stuck with a 2 year plan.

You are correct.

2-year contract:

Unlimited Phone minutes: $75
Iphone 200mb Data: $15
Unlimited Messages: $15

Total per month: $105

Pay as you go:

Unlimited phone minutes + Unlimited Text + 200mb Data: $75

I
Prepaid wins by a landslide

Is that not the same as the WalMart prepaid but $30 a month more and a contract.

this is always the case with the post-paid plans as they have to recoup the cost of the subsidized phones that come with the contract. so in order to have a comparable deal with a pre-paid to a post-paid plan, the cost of the phone should be at least $720, or $30 x 24 months (not accounting any interest rates or depreciation.)

stevie123 said: I have 2 questions:

If I have the $2 plan, I can ignore the phone and not make calls. However, what if I send or receive a text message? Would that activate the $2 charge??

Also, I currently have the $0.25/min plan (I almost never use my phone, but just to keep a "home number"). However, sometimes, I'd like to use the phone quite a bit. How "quick" can I switch to the $2 plan and back? I.e. if I need to make several calls today, can I call 611 or get on the website and switch plans, then make my calls, then go back on the website to switch back?

I'll answer the 2nd question first. The instructions say that once you switch to this plan you cannot switch back.
I find that hard to believe, but, whatever. I know in the past you were allowed to switch once and after that if you
switched plans again there was a $10 fee. In the past year, I switched the plan 3x on our one phone and was never charged a fee.

The first question, I don't think you will be charged the $2 fee unless you make or receive a voice call or
check voice mail from phone.A text shouldn't trigger the fee but am not 100% certain.

ScottS said: In addition, with PP if you add another card to your phone before the expiration date of the current card your unused $/minutes will not be lost - their own version of rollover.

This is the case with all PAYG systems. Unless your account lapses, you get to use everything you pay for.

The key is how long can you go without paying without it lapsing? It varies from carrier to carrier.

I've been on Page Plus since the beginning of the year when I decided to dump ATT's ridiculous prices. I'm now looking to go to Virgin Mobile who has unlimited text/web/email/pics and 300 voice mins for $25/mth.

I've 4 months left on my Family 550 contract; can I switch to the 0.10$ Pay as You Go plan and keep my Samsung Eternitys? I checked on ATT's website and it did not appear as a viable plan to switch to.

This would be a major money saver for my wife an I as we use our two phones perhaps 50 minutes a month and have accrued 4500 rollover minutes which will expire in 120 days.. $100 would buy enough minutes for a year-saving us about 600 bucks annually!!!

Just curious if this applied only to those on the .25 plan and excluded those on ATT's family plans

Thanks!

How did you put a SIM card in your Ipod?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014