• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
This is on top of the current Directv package savings.
This is the best deal I have found for new Directv customers. Will only work if you are a new customer, and requires a 2 year commitment.
Follow the instructions below to save $280 on top of the current Directv package savings.

Go to the Costco website here: Costco Directv offer
Click the button that says "residential customers click here"
Then after that page comes up, click on any of the orange buttons that says "Learn more"
That brings up the cart page where you select the package and equipment that you want. This will also allow you to see what you payments will be for the next 2 years.
Now that you are on the cart page, paste this link in your address bar: http://www.directv.com/refer
Type in an account number from a friend or another source and click "get directv now".
That will bring you back to the cart page, and should show your first 10 months are $10 lower.
Make sure that a Costco banner is displayed at the top of the page, if it isnt, you will not get the $180 Costco cash card.
Continue checkout as normal.
Print copies of everything as proof.
Done

Note: I did not get a confirmation about the $180 Costco cash card, it was Fedex'd to me 3 weeks after the install date

Another note: Avoid signing up by phone, do everything online. I tried to do this by phone initially and they messed up everything from not giving me the $100 referral discount, spelling my name wrong, and entering the wrong email address. It was so bad that I had to cancel and re-order online.

Moderator Comment: This thread is under moderation to keep out referrals. — Sep. 30, 2013 @ 10:04am
DIRECTV
See DIRECTV coupons that earn $55.00 FatWallet Cash Back.
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

DirectTV (25.09kB)
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Be careful with directv reps. They promise a lot to get you to sign up for the service and then it turns out not to be t... (more)

kimagure (Feb. 08, 2014 @ 6:22p) |

I AGREE!.... Had DTV a few years ago, they promised the world but after install they tried to deny me the deal I was quo... (more)

rcglfr (Feb. 08, 2014 @ 6:59p) |

I did the deal online and everything worked out great. Had Directv about a year ago, so my spouse signed up and it went ... (more)

lambo881 (Feb. 08, 2014 @ 8:24p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Thanks for sharing. Seems like a solid offer.

rated:
BigMario said: This is on top of the current Directv package savings.
This is the best deal I have found for new Directv customers. Will only work if you are a new customer, and requires a 2 year commitment.
Follow the instructions below to save $280 on top of the current Directv package savings.

Go to the Costco website here: Costco Directv offer
Click the button that says "residential customers click here"
Then after that page comes up, click on any of the orange buttons that says "Learn more"
That brings up the cart page where you select the package and equipment that you want. This will also allow you to see what you payments will be for the next 2 years.
Now that you are on the cart page, paste this link in your address bar: http://www.directv.com/refer
Type in an account number from a friend or another source and click "get directv now".
That will bring you back to the cart page, and should show your first 10 months are $10 lower.
Make sure that a Costco banner is displayed at the top of the page, if it isnt, you will not get the $180 Costco cash card.
Continue checkout as normal.
Print copies of everything as proof.
Done
Tried doing this deal and the fine print shows the referral program has expired - "Offer ends 10/6/10. Up to 10 referrals in any 12 consecutive month period". Were you successful getting the referral to work?

Dano

rated:
Yes I was, it worked fine for me. I think they just forgot to update the website fine print on that page. I see commercials on Directv all the time that offer this deal. Did it not show that your monthly bill was $10 lower for 10 months?

rated:
I was doing it for a friend who's an older chap and the fine print got him worried. Based on what you've said we can move forward. Thanks for finding the deal!

Dano

rated:
any way to reduce price after promo expiration / 10 months??

rated:
OK no problem. Just make sure the email confirmation of the order mentions a $10 refer a friend discount and you should be good to go. Should read something similar to "Referral Credit for 10 Months (10.00)"

rated:
BigMario said: OK no problem. Just make sure the email confirmation of the order mentions a $10 refer a friend discount and you should be good to go. Should read something similar to "Referral Credit for 10 Months (10.00)"I called DTV and they said the referral offer is now $10/month for 12 months! WooHoo. Thanks OP.

Dano

rated:
DanoMcGarret said: BigMario said: OK no problem. Just make sure the email confirmation of the order mentions a $10 refer a friend discount and you should be good to go. Should read something similar to "Referral Credit for 10 Months (10.00)"I called DTV and they said the referral offer is now $10/month for 12 months! WooHoo. Thanks OP.

Dano

can I add AAA discount? after a year?

rated:
I was going to pull the trigger but did not after I googled for direct tv complaints.

rated:
hdtv said: I was going to pull the trigger but did not after I googled for direct tv complaints.

You work for Dish? Google any product or service for complaints and you'll find plenty.

I don't like Directv either but I can't stand post like this.

rated:
incintrik said: hdtv said: I was going to pull the trigger but did not after I googled for direct tv complaints.

You work for Dish? Google any product or service for complaints and you'll find plenty.

You are kidding? This is a legitimate comment. Note that the OP also experienced some of these same problems trying to sign up by phone. They messed up his order such that he had to cancel and do it online... got rid of the morons from the equation by letting the computer do the process.

With these guys apart from the customer service issues, be sure you read the fine print very carefully (sometimes it too is misleading)... or you may find big unexpected jumps in your bill at the end of what you did not realize was a promo period ... canceling at that point will incur large early termination fees.

Just be sure you understand all the details of the deal, monthly rates the first year, monthly rates the 2nd year and early termination fees. Also be aware of additional monthly fees for receivers, HD and DVRs etc.

rated:
incintrik said: hdtv said: I was going to pull the trigger but did not after I googled for direct tv complaints.

No, I don't work for Dish. I currently have Comcast but they charge quite a bit so I was looking at Direct Tv for deals. I found many posts online that people had their money withdrawn from their accounts without their authorizations. There are class action suits as well. From my research, I also learned that whatever change (programs, hardware) you make to your account would cause the contract to be extended. For example, if your DVR is not working and DTV sends you a replacement, then they'll extend the contract. However, don't take my words for it, do your own research.

I am not saying the deal is bad or you should not jump on it. I always do my research before I sign any long term commitment. Do whatever you are comfortable with.

rated:
It's buyer beware with Dish,Directv, U-verse and Comcast - they're all big companies and rely on people not wanting to change their provider. I bought my Directv hardware several years ago, prior to the change in the business model that now focuses on the leasing program. I don't have a contract but they play games with the rates, cancelling a plan or raising the price each year. The best solution I've found is the same solution that's echoed in this forum - threaten to cancel your service and site an example of someone getting a better deal than you've been offered. A couple of friends are interested in doing the Costco offer and referral and I'll stick with Directv if it happens. If not, I'll go with an offer from Comcast or U-Verse and read the fine print in the contract.

Dano

rated:
Yes that is the only complaint that I have is that they messed up the order, but even so I can say that I am very happy that I made the switch. In the few short weeks that I have had them, they have given me alot more freebies than cable ever gave me, the picture is far better and the pricing is better.

As far as problems/issues with them- you will find problems with anyone if you look hard enough on the net. You just have to do your own DD about which company is better for YOUR needs. I suggest you visit a forum like Satelliteguys.us and ask people that have the service about any potential problems.

For contract extension, you want to read this thread as it shows what will and what wont extend the contract.

bmorenow said: .... Note that the OP also experienced some of these same problems trying to sign up by phone. They messed up his order such that he had to cancel and do it online... got rid of the morons from the equation by letting the computer do the process.

With these guys apart from the customer service issues, be sure you read the fine print very carefully (sometimes it too is misleading)... or you may find big unexpected jumps in your bill at the end of what you did not realize was a promo period ... canceling at that point will incur large early termination fees.

Just be sure you understand all the details of the deal, monthly rates the first year, monthly rates the 2nd year and early termination fees. Also be aware of additional monthly fees for receivers, HD and DVRs etc.

rated:
Thanks op,

Has anyone else pulled the trigger yet? Sounds like it was done a few weeks ago and some perks may have expired. Will take a look today to see what comes up.

rated:
I followed the same steps as the OP a few weeks ago but have not recieved the Costco reward. Has anyone called in to successfully request the reward?

rated:
It still works and the offer is still there, just follow the instructions.

DoingTheHappyDance said:
Sounds like it was done a few weeks ago and some perks may have expired.

rated:
direcTV has an F rating with the Better Business Bureau with nearly 50,000 complaints in the last 36 months. Look at Comcast or Dish. They have less than 1/4 that and are rated much higher.

I have had HORRIBLE experiences with DirecTV honoring the deal I was "sold" by Verizon (package internet/TV deal). Wish I had NEVER signed up and had seen the complaints first.

Bad Business Tactics. Stay away!!

rated:
After working for Directv as a supervisor in the highest tier call center for many years I can say that this person is full of half truths. (I have not worked there for 3 years now but still know people who do)

1. Your commitment never extends if you replace a leased receiver with a leased one. Owned to leased = commitment unless you do it through the protection plan people, if there is a commitment added you just need to speak to a member of the access card team (Retentions) and the receiver commitment can be corrected, however its really a moot point unless you are cancelling service.

2. People who have funds withdrawn from their bank accounts 99% are deadbeats who do not pay their bill then once the 2nd level disconnect takes hold then their charged for disconnect fees and the full price of the leased equipment. IF they called before this happens and cancel service then none of this happens. When there is an error, DTV does all it can to fix it, including 1000's in credits to good customers. They do not smile on deadbeats and send out memos to the staff about letting these people switch to dish.

hdtv said: incintrik said: hdtv said: I was going to pull the trigger but did not after I googled for direct tv complaints.

No, I don't work for Dish. I currently have Comcast but they charge quite a bit so I was looking at Direct Tv for deals. I found many posts online that people had their money withdrawn from their accounts without their authorizations. There are class action suits as well. From my research, I also learned that whatever change (programs, hardware) you make to your account would cause the contract to be extended. For example, if your DVR is not working and DTV sends you a replacement, then they'll extend the contract. However, don't take my words for it, do your own research.

I am not saying the deal is bad or you should not jump on it. I always do my research before I sign any long term commitment. Do whatever you are comfortable with.

rated:
Out of several complaints, there must be some truths to it. Like I said, I did not personally experience any of the problems since I don't have direct TV. But after reading lots of complaints, directTV will not be getting any money from me.

Not everyone that had money taken out of their accounts were deadbeats like Hotdogah said. One person paid $250 by check for ETF but had another $250 taken out from his credit card and direct TV did not refund this extra $250 so in the end he ended up paying $500 in total.

Hotdogah said: After working for Directv as a supervisor in the highest tier call center for many years I can say that this person is full of half truths. (I have not worked there for 3 years now but still know people who do)

1. Your commitment never extends if you replace a leased receiver with a leased one. Owned to leased = commitment unless you do it through the protection plan people, if there is a commitment added you just need to speak to a member of the access card team (Retentions) and the receiver commitment can be corrected, however its really a moot point unless you are cancelling service.

2. People who have funds withdrawn from their bank accounts 99% are deadbeats who do not pay their bill then once the 2nd level disconnect takes hold then their charged for disconnect fees and the full price of the leased equipment. IF they called before this happens and cancel service then none of this happens. When there is an error, DTV does all it can to fix it, including 1000's in credits to good customers. They do not smile on deadbeats and send out memos to the staff about letting these people switch to dish.

hdtv said: incintrik said: hdtv said: I was going to pull the trigger but did not after I googled for direct tv complaints.

rated:
ajohnamous said: I followed the same steps as the OP a few weeks ago but have not recieved the Costco reward. Has anyone called in to successfully request the reward?

N/M, I followed the same steps and just recieved the shipment confirmation on the Costco card. Good deal if you know another Directv customer and shop at Costco.

rated:
ugh wish i woulda say the offer awhile ago signed up for directv 7weeks ago... had next day install clean installation 0 problems so far ... Customer service seems alot better then Comcast who i was with after 4yrs of paying them 200+ a month had enough

rated:
Just signed up with this deal. Thank you!

rated:
Thanks for the deal! In for one! Green for you!

rated:
Anyone having problems doing the referral with this deal ? along with Costco $180 . I've had it with Dish Network

rated:
I'm not really sure about the CostCo card for $180, but I was on the screen that indicated CostCo on the top banner, so maybe it'll work. There's no way to really tell right now. I did manage to get the referral $100 spread over 10 months (someone said 12 months, but I didn't see that anywhere). My friends should also get the same $100 credited to their account, so that's good. Anyway, most of it looks like it worked for me, but I'll just have to wait 6-8 weeks on the $180 card and see if that worked. That would be so sweet. Thanks for all the help guys. I was planning to switch to Direct TV with NO REFERRAL or CostCo card - so that's really great IMO. Thanks again for making it step-by-step simple for those of us that are challenged doing things like this.

rated:
I forgot to mention it, but I attempted to do all this over the phone, and I did NOT have the friend's account number initially, so even though they agreed to give me BOTH discounts (100 + 180), they couldn't finish it without the account number. I went through the entire process ONLINE after getting the account number, and it all seemed to work as the OP stated it should.

rated:
Thanks OP, this $280 deal works!!! I had mine installed last Saturday and yesterday I received my $180 Costco cash card which is only a week!!! Also my second HD receiver (master br) was upgraded to HD-DVR with no extra added cost, just the $5 rental. I'm very happy with DirectTV so far, I had Comcast previously.

rated:
From my experience, directv will randomly drop your discount and offer no explanation as to why it happened. "Sorry sir, I'll go ahead and put the discount back on your account." They rely on a customer base that doesn't question their bills. If you are not careful, you could pay a lot more than what your promo promised. When I finally did cancel my account after my contract was up, they sent me a bill for $10 with no explanation as to what it was for. Before the check I wrote to them arrived, they had automatically billed the credit card I had given to them when I signed up. I never used this credit card to pay my bills and was not enrolled in auto bill pay. Without my permission, they decided to pay the remaining balance. I would SERIOUSLY read consumer complaints about directv before signing up for them. My experience is not unique. And the previous poster that claimed to have worked for directv is lying about your contract not being automatically renewed if you change equipment. It goes to show that even directv employees don't know how deceptive their own company is.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. If you do sign up for this deal, use an American Express gift card or virtual credit card from citi to do it. That way, the card they have for you has a limit and can be canceled easily. If you did give them your real credit card number, I'd suggest reporting your card missing, so that your card company sends you a new card with a new number that directv can't use when you close your account.

rated:
slackerace said: direcTV has an F rating with the Better Business Bureau with nearly 50,000 complaints in the last 36 months. Look at Comcast or Dish. They have less than 1/4 that and are rated much higher.

I have had HORRIBLE experiences with DirecTV honoring the deal I was "sold" by Verizon (package internet/TV deal). Wish I had NEVER signed up and had seen the complaints first.

And DISH is not much better.

rated:
freddyfoster said: From my experience, directv will randomly drop your discount and offer no explanation as to why it happened. "Sorry sir, I'll go ahead and put the discount back on your account." They rely on a customer base that doesn't question their bills. If you are not careful, you could pay a lot more than what your promo promised. When I finally did cancel my account after my contract was up, they sent me a bill for $10 with no explanation as to what it was for. Before the check I wrote to them arrived, they had automatically billed the credit card I had given to them when I signed up. I never used this credit card to pay my bills and was not enrolled in auto bill pay. Without my permission, they decided to pay the remaining balance. I would SERIOUSLY read consumer complaints about directv before signing up for them. My experience is not unique. And the previous poster that claimed to have worked for directv is lying about your contract not being automatically renewed if you change equipment. It goes to show that even directv employees don't know how deceptive their own company is.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. If you do sign up for this deal, use an American Express gift card or virtual credit card from citi to do it. That way, the card they have for you has a limit and can be canceled easily. If you did give them your real credit card number, I'd suggest reporting your card missing, so that your card company sends you a new card with a new number that directv can't use when you close your account.

That sounds like good advice. I actually used my main credit card, because I wanted to get the 1% Cash Back each month (I have auto bill pay set up too to get the extra $5 discount). I'll remember to change the card numbers in 2 years (I hope so anyway). Thanks.

rated:
freddyfoster said: Oh yes, I almost forgot. If you do sign up for this deal, use an American Express gift card or virtual credit card from citi to do it. That way, the card they have for you has a limit and can be canceled easily. If you did give them your real credit card number, I'd suggest reporting your card missing, so that your card company sends you a new card with a new number that directv can't use when you close your account. If you do that (skip out on cancellation fees) they will drag you through collections which won't be good for your credit score. They take your SSN when you signup. If your credit isn't good when you signup they charge you an extra $200- $300 up front and refund it to you at a rate of $5/month.

rated:
cheapest per mo. deal $19.99 a month? Do they offer a "basic" plan? dish used to offer a welcome pack of just 60 channels...

rated:
Great offer, OP! Thanks so much for posting. I hate to ask -- but does anyone have an account number they can PM me? i don't know anyone with a DTV account. Sorry to have to ask, but this is too good a deal to pass up!

Thanks!

rated:
delete

rated:
Do you have to have a costco account to get the gift card?

rated:
DunnyLou said: slackerace said: direcTV has an F rating with the Better Business Bureau with nearly 50,000 complaints in the last 36 months. Look at Comcast or Dish. They have less than 1/4 that and are rated much higher.

And DISH is not much better.

Not *much* better???

To accept DISH you have to hate yourself more than Satan himself!

rated:
Great deal, OP, thanks. Does anyone know if you can get double the referral discount by being referred and then later referring someone else? And what if you refer multiple people, can you get multiple discounts? I assume not, but would be curious at least for one discount as referee and one as referrer.

Skipping 327 Messages...
rated:
I did the deal online and everything worked out great. Had Directv about a year ago, so my spouse signed up and it went through just fine. I still get offers to come back weekly via email and mail, offer basically the same except no Costco card though they do offer to pay $200 for early termination fees. The installer did a nice job, eventhough I had service before, he replaced the dish and put on all new connectors to make sure I had the best possible signal.  Just need to remember to call when the 3 months free are up with the premium channels. Had Comcast for about a year, it was ok, but had lots of billing issues which resulted in 6 or 7 calls to finally resolve.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014