• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
FEE-FREE: USE CODE EMOCTCM1
WITH YOUR American Express CARD.

Go to HERE for the AMEX gift card home page. Usually the fees are around $5.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
American Express Gift Cards
100% off Gift Card Purchase Fee On American Express Gift Card Orders
Offer Valid 11/14/201... (more)

svanegas (Jan. 04, 2011 @ 7:01a) |

one way or the other, you still end up paying shipping.

redearth (Jan. 04, 2011 @ 7:33a) |

Is there any way to order these with no shipping or gift card fees?

thetobster (Jan. 24, 2011 @ 2:20p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks OP.
Anyone has free shipping code.

If you buy the AMEX gift card with your AMEX blue card, what if any percentage do you get back?

Remember that Citi Cards will charge these as a cash advance.

Sorry if I raise a stupid alert, but I just got my first American Express card, and cannot use it online: The number on it is not 16 digits like on other cards. I am pretty sure that some websites will accept it, but some apparently won't.
Now: The gift card also has 15 digits number. Meaning you cannot use everywhere. Correct me if I am wrong, don't want to spoil a good deal.

goubar said: Sorry if I raise a stupid alert, but I just got my first American Express card, and cannot use it online: The number on it is not 16 digits like on other cards. I am pretty sure that some websites will accept it, but some apparently won't.
Now: The gift card also has 15 digits number. Meaning you cannot use everywhere. Correct me if I am wrong, don't want to spoil a good deal.

All American Express cards have 15 digits instead of the 16 that other cards have.

I got an AMEX gift card once, and it was a bear to use it anywhere. Not too many places accept them.

SaleHog said: I got an AMEX gift card once, and it was a bear to use it anywhere. Not too many places accept them.

That is true. Quick research on Google tells that many customers experience the same: Amex Gift Cards issues

goubar said: Sorry if I raise a stupid alert, but I just got my first American Express card, and cannot use it online: The number on it is not 16 digits like on other cards. I am pretty sure that some websites will accept it, but some apparently won't.

All AMEX charge & credit cards work perfectly well online, not sure which websites you are trying. The gift cards do have restrictions, best way to use them is to buy other store's gift cards.

Excellent. Do I earn MR points when I purchase one of these on my AMEX card?

goubar said: SaleHog said: I got an AMEX gift card once, and it was a bear to use it anywhere. Not too many places accept them.That is true. Quick research on Google tells that many customers experience the same: Amex Gift Cards issuesComplete nonsense! The AMEX gift cards are accepted anywhere AMEX is accepted. I use AMEX cards for probably 99% of my online/instore purchases and I have no trouble using it. Granted some very small independant merchants don't accepted it, but any medium sized stores take them. In fact, last Summer in Europe I had an easier time using AMEX vs our MC/Visa cards (contrary to the numerous Visa ads).

Most of those complaints at that site boil down to "I mailed my card and it got stolen and I don't know the number, AMEX won't give me my money back" or "I live in a tiny town where no one takes AMEX". The online problem with gift cards is the same for AMEX or any other one, if there is no name registered with the card, it probably won't be accepted, so you need to register it.

xray316 said: If you buy the AMEX gift card with your AMEX blue card, what if any percentage do you get back?

As the topic OP, I'm wondering that myself. Not sure if I will actually pull the trigger. Would be helpful to know if I will receive any CashBack or rewards points depending on which card I use.

Beware though unlike store gift cards, AMEX (and Visa & Mastercard) gift cards have expiration dates and fees that start gnawing at the card value after about 6 months or so. Last year I bought a whole bunch to give as gifts but by the time I got around to giving them some of them had already lost value.

rj123456 said: Beware though unlike store gift cards, AMEX (and Visa & Mastercard) gift cards have expiration dates and fees that start gnawing at the card value after about 6 months or so. Last year I bought a whole bunch to give as gifts but by the time I got around to giving them some of them had already lost value.Two strikes! (This thread could be an entire episode of Myth Busters )

Does my Gift Card have an expiration date?
No. While there is a "valid thru" date indicated on the front of the Gift Card, the Available Funds on the Gift Card do not expire. The "valid thru" date is simply required to ensure that the Gift Card can be used at Merchants that request and/or require customers to provide a plastic expiration date during the transaction process. You may not use the Gift Card after the "valid thru" date, but can request a replacement to use any Available Funds that remain on the Gift Card. Contact us at the Customer Service Number to obtain a replacement Gift Card or for instructions on how to redeem the Available Funds. We will issue you a replacement Gift Card free of charge if your "valid-thru" date expires. If you ask us to issue you a check for the amount of any Available Funds remaining on the Gift Card after the "valid thru" date, we may hold the Available Funds for ten (10) business days after you request a check to ensure that all transactions have posted to our system. We reserve the right to decline to issue a replacement Gift Card.

Are there any fees associated with the Gift Card?
A purchase charge ranging from $3.95 to $6.95 for in-person purchases (depending on the type of Gift Card) will apply. But there will be no service fees after purchase.

American Express has eliminated all fees after purchase on its Gift Cards. Starting on September 30, 2009, Gift Cards issued by American Express will no longer incur monthly service fees. This includes Gift Cards now in stores, those headed to market, and those already purchased.

American Express Gift Cards are the only gift cards that can be used virtually anywhere on the market for which after-purchase service fees have been eliminated.

jaimelobo said: rj123456 said: Beware though unlike store gift cards, AMEX (and Visa & Mastercard) gift cards have expiration dates and fees that start gnawing at the card value after about 6 months or so. Last year I bought a whole bunch to give as gifts but by the time I got around to giving them some of them had already lost value.Two strikes! (This thread could be an entire episode of Myth Busters )
American Express has eliminated all fees after purchase on its Gift Cards. Starting on September 30, 2009, Gift Cards issued by American Express will no longer incur monthly service fees. This includes Gift Cards now in stores, those headed to market, and those already purchased.

American Express Gift Cards are the only gift cards that can be used virtually anywhere on the market for which after-purchase service fees have been eliminated.

This is no myth, it actually happened to me (for both AMEX and Visa/Mastercard gift cards).

Upon doing some more research it seems like this sudden change of heart by AMEX on monthly fees is not out of sheer kindness, but in fact is mandated by the new CARD act (someone please confirm this). So may be going forward there will be no gnawing away at gift card value.

There are geographical limitations as to who can purchase these gift cards:

"American Express does not ship Gift Cards to the states of HI, LA and VT. Based upon legislation in these states, it is cost-prohibitive for American Express to sell our Gift Cards."

rj123456 said:

Upon doing some more research it seems like this sudden change of heart by AMEX on monthly fees is not out of sheer kindness, but in fact is mandated by the new CARD act (someone please confirm this). So may be going forward there will be no gnawing away at gift card value.

I can confirm the expiration part. I handle AMEX and Vanilla Visa gift cards in several major retailers and all of the card stock has been (or is being) replaced with non-expiring cards. Also, any older cards that have expired can be replaced by calling customer service. They'll send you a replacement card and transfer the balance from the old one.

So, while some say it is "impossible to use" I have used some of these gift cards. The thing that is super annoying, #1 places like Amazon.com authorize $1 on your card. So If you have a $500 gift card you can only spend $499 at Amazon. Then you have a GC with $1. The only way I know how to use that effectively is to go to a gas station and pree pay $1 in gas.

cmatthes1 said: So, while some say it is "impossible to use" I have used some of these gift cards. The thing that is super annoying, #1 places like Amazon.com authorize $1 on your card. So If you have a $500 gift card you can only spend $499 at Amazon. Then you have a GC with $1. The only way I know how to use that effectively is to go to a gas station and pree pay $1 in gas.

Most major retailers support partial payment authorization now. So you can take your gift card to a grocery store or Target and use it towards a larger purchase. When the terminal prompts you to swipe your card, go ahead and use the gift card first. The transaction will be approved for whatever you had left on the card and the register will prompt for an additional method of payment for the remaining balance.

I forgot to mention this is sometimes referred to as "split tender"

jcantanixon said: rj123456 said: Upon doing some more research it seems like this sudden change of heart by AMEX on monthly fees is not out of sheer kindness, but in fact is mandated by the new CARD act (someone please confirm this). So may be going forward there will be no gnawing away at gift card value.I can confirm the expiration part. I handle AMEX and Vanilla Visa gift cards in several major retailers and all of the card stock has been (or is being) replaced with non-expiring cards. Also, any older cards that have expired can be replaced by calling customer service. They'll send you a replacement card and transfer the balance from the old one.As pointed out above, AMEX stopped the expiration/fees more than a year ago.

Another fee free coupon code:

AMX624

Also you can get a 3 month free trial to their premium shipping program to receive the cards completely fee-free/shipping free.

Unless you get them at a discount, gift cards are the stupidest purchase anyone can make.

Why would I trade $X of dead presidents for $X of gift cards.

Last time I looked at Andrew Jackson I didn't see any T's and C's, fees, expiration dates or limitations on who accepts him.

henny said: Unless you get them at a discount, gift cards are the stupidest purchase anyone can make.

Last time I looked at Andrew Jackson I didn't see any T's and C's, fees, expiration dates or limitations on who accepts him.

Evidently someone needs to educate you on the advantage of getting credit card miles / points through gift card purchases! They are especially useful if you are trying to meet a minimum spending requirement in a short amount of time. For instance, if you sign up for one of the credit card bonuses that pays 10k points after $5k in purchases in 3 months .. if it's impossible for you to make the spending in the timeframe, you can just purchase gift card(s) and use them later.

Eryeal said: henny said: Unless you get them at a discount, gift cards are the stupidest purchase anyone can make.

Evidently someone needs to educate you on the advantage of getting credit card miles / points through gift card purchases! They are especially useful if you are trying to meet a minimum spending requirement in a short amount of time. For instance, if you sign up for one of the credit card bonuses that pays 10k points after $5k in purchases in 3 months .. if it's impossible for you to make the spending in the timeframe, you can just purchase gift card(s) and use them later.

Perfect.

Publix in FL has them $45 for $50 AMEX card OTD. Just bought 2.

$50 +$4.95 Fee - $10 discount (11/26-12/01) = $44.95 OTD

hirenrp said: Publix in FL has them $45 for $50 AMEX card OTD. Just bought 2.

$50 +$4.95 Fee - $10 discount (11/26-12/01) = $44.95 OTD

I'm also in Naples, FL. Bought 3 today at the $44.95 (each) price after activation fee from the same Publix at the same time, despite the fact that coupon states one card per individual transaction. Then I went to another Publix and purchased the $50 Shell gas card (for $40) using one of the AMEX cards WITHOUT buying the required $25 in groceries. Yeah, I know, the rules say this isn't allowed, but the manager (of all people) rang it up after I said I thought the $25 amount could be for "anything in the store" and I showed her the receipt from the previous purchase of the three AMEX cards from the other Publix. Lol. Next, I took one of the $50 AMEX cards to my local Borders and purchased a $50 Borders GC for $40 using the AMEX card. This was an instore promo. Also got an additional $5 in Borders Bucks along with a 40% off toward a book I wanted to buy that retailed for $22. Actual price for book was about $8 and change after tax. Also had a Border's coupon for free latte ($2.80 value). I'll let someone else do the math as to how much I saved today!

u4rhea said:   There are geographical limitations as to who can purchase these gift cards:

"American Express does not ship Gift Cards to the states of HI, LA and VT. Based upon legislation in these states, it is cost-prohibitive for American Express to sell our Gift Cards."

This must be new, b/c I bought 15k of these things last year and they shipped to me no problem... hmmm

delete

What no VT

American Express Gift Cards
100% off Gift Card Purchase Fee On American Express Gift Card Orders
Offer Valid 11/14/2010 - 01/31/2011
Offer Valid through 1/31/2011
Purchase American Express Gift Cards with no Gift Card purchase fee. Simply order online with any American Express Card and use code GEN768.
American Express Gift Cards have no monthly fees, no after-purchase fees, and no lost value.
When you give an American Express Gift Card this holiday season, you're giving a gift that can be unwrapped for virtually anything.
Click GET OFFER and use any American Express Card when making your purchase. Code: GEN768

one way or the other, you still end up paying shipping.

Is there any way to order these with no shipping or gift card fees?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014