• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Current promotion at Academy Sports is the Smith & Wesson Sigma .40 s&w OR 9mm handgun on sale for $299.99 (was $319.99) PLUS there is a $50 rebate OR 2 extra magazines from S&W, choice of the consumer. Not a bad deal for a well designed American made gun that has been around since the 1990's ...

Academy Sports Weekly add Oct 24-30

S&W site, click on link there for proper rebate form

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Looks like a good deal, Thanks

Terribly inaccurate handguns, no matter how cheaply they can be bought. Got rid of the one I bought for that reason.

cecilbdnil said: Terribly inaccurate handguns, no matter how cheaply they can be bought. Got rid of the one I bought for that reason.

... and, at least for the 40, very picky about the ammo it will feed reliably. So prone to jamming that I also got rid of one.

Have the 9, haven't had any trouble feeding or ejecting FMJs or JHPs. Easy takedown and fairly accurate once you get used to the long trigger pull. Just wish we had an academy in the area - they keep Dick's SG honest.

i have had many guns up and down the price scale. this is one on the lower end. thru more than 1K rounds of wwb, pmc, remington, federal, and various jhp, the .40 version i had ran flawless. yes trigger is heavy, but not so much more than a hk DA trigger. gun is accurate if you do your part. to say the gun is inaccurate is stupid. sold it to a friend who didnt have much $ but need a gun and he has been happy with it as home defense. if you dont want the mags and get the rebate instead then it is a good gun for $250.

fyi centerfure has the .40 sigma for $294 before ffl and shipping if their is is no academy near you
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/sw-220023.aspx

The .40 in the Sigma series is horrible! Fed hollowpoints would not load/feed properly, other ammo Speer gold dot jammed in it all the time... and I would have to agree with cecilbdnil above not accurate. I sold my Sigma to Gander Mtn and bought a Glock 23, yes it is more money but SOOOOO worth it. The Glock never jams, no problems with any ammo feeding and accurate and easy to clean. I wouldn't recommend the Sigma series to anyone not even for $100 and I'm a Smith & Wesson fan and love my M&P 15 from Smith & Wesson.

Twenty plus years in the Marines and I can hit the black with a slingshot....that said, this is a decent gun. I bought mine back in 1996 when they first came out and cost way more. Are there better guns...???sure there are. I also own a USP, A glock and a few others...I have thousands of rounds through mine and when I don't hit the black, I don't blame the gun...if all else fails, apply immediate action and get back to shotin'

cecilbdnil said: Terribly inaccurate handguns, no matter how cheaply they can be bought. Got rid of the one I bought for that reason.

That is a very ignorant comment. There are no inaccurate handguns, just inaccurate shooters. What is probably hurting the accuracy is the long & heavy trigger pull. Take out the pigtail spring in the rear (see YouTube) and you will have a much better experience with the gun. They engineered the trigger to be too safe for personal defense situations, etc. As an ex-Marine this handgun has my recommendation.

I've had the Sigma SW40 since it first came out and I love it. It's been a good carry and shoots flawlessly. I've shot with the cheapest of cheap ammo all the way to some pretty expensive hollow point and I still haven't had a misfire. I must admit that it does get pretty dirty using the cheap reloads and needs constant cleaning, but this goes with any gun. Maintenance on any gun is Crucial. Trigger pull is long and heavy but people have found ways around that. I've gotten used to it and like the extra safety of the heavy pull. For the price, I would highly recommend.

I own the 9 and the 40 and my friend owns the 40. No jam in any of those guns ever.(I use cci blazer for the range and speer gold dot for CC)I do not believe anyone who says they are unreliable or inaccurate. There may be a possibility you are speaking of the 1st gen sigma's, these are 2nd gen! The ONLY downside to these guns are the 9lb trigger pull. They are as reliable as a Glock and use the SAME original Browning design that Glock uses! (Also own a Glock 22) so there's no bias here, only irritation with people that perpetuate nonsense and cause unsuspecting people on a budget to break the bank buying a self defense gun they can't afford! Stop lying to people cuz the real shooters know your talking out your butt, and it doesn't impress us!

I teach pistol and bought a Sigma 9mm to use as a loaner pistol for my students who don't own a gun (I also have other makes and models available). The Sigma has been used by a wide variety of people ranging from newbies who have never handled a pistol to very experienced shooters. Thousands of rounds fired through it (mostly Winchester White Box) and I have never had a single malfunction of any type. Not one.

I am looking to buy another.
Thanks OP!

Speer gold dot is about $28 for a box of 20 rounds where I am. I find it hard to believe that your jamming with high end ammo "all the time". What I'm trying to say is who uses such expensive ammo for shooting? It's insane to believe that you bring Speer to the range. My gold dots don't get shot but maybe once a year and that's only to put new ammo in. Nice try but when you think about it your statement doesn't make a whole lotta sense. But if you really do happen to blast away Speer gold dot "all the time" then you must be a lot better off then most people. Happy shootin!

FWIW, for those of you not near an Academy, I was in my local Gander Mountain today looking for a range bag and saw that they had the Sigma SW9VE for $329.99 (and of course there is a $50 S&W rebate good until the end of the year.

As I noted in the post above, I am a NRA Training Counselor and use a Sigma as a loaner pistol for my classes. I have never had a malfunction of any type with it. I just picked up another one at GM this morning to use for the classes. My out the door cost after tax was $350 (I will use the rebate for the 2 extra mags as they are around $32 each - a better value than the $50 back). A good deal for a reliable pistol with a lifetime warranty.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014