• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
There's an initial cost for the Lynksys PAP2 to consider, but at ~$30 it is much cheaper than ooma. Another thing to consider is monthly electricity costs of running a computer 24/7, which could be $1-$10 depending on the computer (monitor doesn't need to be on).

Copied from another deal site. Thanks go to MrMuffin

Quote:
"This is a new, simpler method using the newly released Asterisk 1.8. Most of the setup is automated by a package called The Incredible PBX by Ward Mundy who has also written a decent tutorial:

5 Steps to Paradise: Itís Incredible PBX for Asterisk 1.8

An important note:
You should really configure this with a Gmail/Google Voice account that is seldom used. If you are signed into Gmail using your browser and a phone call comes in, it will ring in your inbox instead of the home phone. To avoid this, register a new gmail account and then go to www.google.com/voice [google.com] and pick a number. Why not...both are free!

Someone else pointed out that if you stay signed out of chat while in your Gmail inbox, then you can use your existing account as it will not accept incoming calls.

FAQ:

1) What do I need?

* A computer to PBX-in-a-Flash, a Linux distribution pre-packaged with Asterisk. This can be a dedicated machine OR a virtual one. I have tested this VMware Server and VirtualBox (both free!)
* An analog telephone adapter ($30) for using a regular phone OR a free software phone if can sit at your computer to make the calls.

2) This doesn't need Sipgate or Gizmo or another service?

No. The recently released Asterisk 1.8 has support for direct making and receiving calls using Google Voice without any other third party services. All you need to do is provide Asterisk with the user and password for the Gmail account.

3) How do I set this up?

Read Ward Mundy's tutorial:
5 Steps to Paradise: Itís Incredible PBX for Asterisk 1.8

4) How do I configure the Linksys PAP2 for use with this PBX?

With the PAP2 at default settings, bring up it's web interface by typing the IP of the device into a web browser.
NOTE: To get the IP of the PAP2, pick up the phone and press * four times. When the man answers with "configuration menu" press 110# and he will read you the IP.

* Click Admin Login on the top right.
* Click Line 1 at the top
* Make sure Line 1 is enabled
* Proxy field should be the LAN ip of your PBX
* Register: Yes
* Display Name, User ID, and Auth ID should all be the asterisk extension you are connecting to. Mine all say 701.
* The password field needs the "secret" from the extension in FreePBX"

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts

jplee3 (Feb. 03, 2011 @ 1:49p) |

Nice, but I take it you are not married?

jb347 (Feb. 04, 2011 @ 2:35p) |

Gizmo5 died this month.

What if the router only has large storage space, for example 8 MB flash, but no USB or SD mod?

dawpa2000 (Apr. 17, 2011 @ 1:01p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks. I have a Linksys PAP2 configured fro Sunrocket that went down several yrs ago. Will the PAP2 setting instructions work with this unit?

Improved repost of this.

Now all we need is a tutorial on how to do PIAF on DDWRT, then no computer involved...

yfc500 said: Thanks. I have a Linksys PAP2 configured fro Sunrocket that went down several yrs ago. Will the PAP2 setting instructions work with this unit?

My PAP2 is Vonage. When I try the IP I don't get a config page, I get nothing. So I'm curious if I can crack mine too.

Haven't looked beyond the Ward Mundy link yet so no LMGTFY

decent but the cost of having a computer on all day is > than just paying for phone service or using whistlephone.

stinhoutx said: Improved repost of this.

I'm sorry. Just how is that "improved" ? Or did you mean that repost has improved over it's original self ?

This one HERE (Thanks MrChris) even has an FAQ. This one HERE goes to eleven !

You wasted my time.

Interesting setup.

I prefer Sipgate + Google Voice for the ultimate free setup

PROs: relatively simple configuration, no computer always on required
CONs: outgoing calls are not free unless you use Google Voice to initiate them

To be honest, you might save more money (spend just $7/month) and hassle with just using FutureNine's bare essentials plan (http://www.future-nine.com/plans.html). I have used this for more than 1 year now and I am quite pleased. I also have Sipgate programed on my PAP2 line two as a backup line. I use Google Voice to route calls to both so I never miss a call and I can even be on the phone and still answer calls on another phone plugged into line #2 if I need to.

MrChris said: I have tested this extensively and it works as advertised. I am able to make and receive calls using my home phone for free using a Google Voice number. I will be be writing a FAQ in this post and providing support to anyone with questions.

Rather than providing an FAQ in this post and offering to support anyone with questions, why not keep the posts on FatWallet focused on good deals and just reference Ward Mundy's site (Nerd Vittles), which already provides detailed instructions and support for just about anything you might want to do with Asterisk and its various add-ons? Ward and the community of users his site supports have been doing this for years and there's not much point replicating technical guidance or FAQs on VOIP here.

nice to play around with but if you're at all serious about a land line replacement look into ooma.

this is a really good DIY for handy man

I found the PAP2 pretty cheap on the .e4 site. Linksys PAP2

missrach said: I found the PAP2 pretty cheap on the .e4 site. Linksys PAP2
Lowest price I saw on eBay is $28 including shipping.

golf247 said: Now all we need is a tutorial on how to do PIAF on DDWRT, then no computer involved...
Thats what I have been seraching for the last couple of hrs. Haven't had much luck (I got side tracked reading other posts on DDWRT forums). If you find something, please post a link here. I'll do the same if I am able to locate anything.

Also, looking for a good deal on DDWRT supported router with USB ports. anyone has any recommendation? Thanks.

I too have an old Sunrocket Linkysys PAP2. It's apprently locked somehow. I'm always told the ip is 0.0.0.0. How can I unlock/break this Linksys PAP2?

If this can be accomplished in the $20 Dockstar, then I am ready to go.

Okay, I'm new to all this, so a 2 basic questions.

1. Looked like the instructions for installing the Asterik 8 said that it would totally reformat all disks attached to the computer. Do I need 2 hard drives so I don't wipe out my current Window 7? Or do I need a computer just dedicated to this?

2. I have multiple phones throughout the house: some cordless and some wired. How does this work for all my phones?

Thanks.

HTuttle said: yfc500 said: Thanks. I have a Linksys PAP2 configured fro Sunrocket that went down several yrs ago. Will the PAP2 setting instructions work with this unit?

My PAP2 is Vonage. When I try the IP I don't get a config page, I get nothing. So I'm curious if I can crack mine too.

Something's not right then. Try resetting the PAP to factory default and try to reconnect. No matter what the provider was, there is a web interface for configuration.

HomeTheatreMaven said: Okay, I'm new to all this, so a 2 basic questions.

1. Looked like the instructions for installing the Asterik 8 said that it would totally reformat all disks attached to the computer. Do I need 2 hard drives so I don't wipe out my current Window 7? Or do I need a computer just dedicated to this?

2. I have multiple phones throughout the house: some cordless and some wired. How does this work for all my phones?

Thanks.

1. If you want to keep Windows and you have no spare/old PC around, you need to install this in a virtual machine. VituralBox from Orale is free. Keep in mind this PC needs to be on when you want to make/receive call.

2. If you disconnect the landline coming into your house, just plug the ATA to one of the phone jack and all your phones should work with this setup.

people trying to buy pap2 on eBay or other sites, make sure you don't buy the ones shipped from HongKong. Most of them are cheap clones (even cloned mac address) and won't last more than few months.

Would this setup allow one to have E911? I am assuming no.

MeraNamJoker said: people trying to buy pap2 on eBay or other sites, make sure you don't buy the ones shipped from HongKong. Most of them are cheap clones (even cloned mac address) and won't last more than few months.
I bought a Linksys PAP2 from eBay shipped from Hong Kong and they have been working for over a year.

JimsEmptyWallet said: HomeTheatreMaven said: Okay, I'm new to all this, so a 2 basic questions.

Thanks.

2. If you disconnect the landline coming into your house, just plug the ATA to one of the phone jack and all your phones should work with this setup.

I have done this for my VOIP service and it works just great. Just google 'NID': http://www.homephonewiring.com/nid.html . This can be very easy to do or not depending on how old your house is IIRC. You MUST disconnect the phone at the NID otherwise there is enough power on the line from the phone company to fry your ATA.

Anyone running this on a Pogoplug? I would love to find a Pogoplug-style device with a built in ATA.

iamabigbug said: If this can be accomplished in the $20 Dockstar, then I am ready to go.

I have tried installing A1.8/gtalk for a few days. I got it worked one time and then did not. From Googling, it looks A1.8 is not very stable on Dockstar type of Arm/Debian implementation yet.
I will report if I have a success story but not yet.

drodge said: HTuttle said: My PAP2 is Vonage. When I try the IP I don't get a config page, I get nothing. So I'm curious if I can crack mine too.

Something's not right then. Try resetting the PAP to factory default and try to reconnect. No matter what the provider was, there is a web interface for configuration.

Indeed, something is NOT RIGHT. I found many posts RE:the Vonage PAP2. They are locked down by Vonage, BUT there is instruction for unlocking them. The problem for me right now is I can't do the unlock without gaining access to the PAP2 webpage interface. There's even steps for doing a reset and enabling the webpage:

PAP2 unlock excerpt said: ****
Then dial 73738#
Password is: (usually) 7756112# could be: 8995523#
enter 1 to confirm press # Hang up

pick up the phone and dial
then 7932#
Password is: 78196365
Press 1 to Confirm and then hang up.

This just enabled the Web Interface if needed.

but the "unlock" password "78196365' isn't doing it for me - others apparently have similar experiences. And this is BEFORE you get to the part that requires an admin password that let's you access the admin tab on the webpage that i can't even see....YET .

Thanks for the post --- i'm still searching but I may just try using an old laptop I have laying around to run the Asterisk.

JimsEmptyWallet said: HomeTheatreMaven said: Okay, I'm new to all this, so a 2 basic questions.

Thanks.

1. If you want to keep Windows and you have no spare/old PC around, you need to install this in a virtual machine. VituralBox from Orale is free. Keep in mind this PC needs to be on when you want to make/receive call.

I have Windows Virtual PC running in XP mode on my Windows 7 machine. Will this work or do I need VirtualBox?
And how can any virtual machine work when the Asterik 8 install says it will reformat all drives in the machine?

Another question: Is it right that I'll have to tell everyone who wants to call me that I have a different telephone number from the one I had for 40 years? Is there any way to retain my AT&T number with this system?

Google Voice's free-calling offer is only guaranteed through 2010. You might find yourself paying by the minute to make calls with it on January 1, 2011.

dajabon said: Interesting setup.

I prefer Sipgate + Google Voice for the ultimate free setup

PROs: relatively simple configuration, no computer always on required
CONs: outgoing calls are not free unless you use Google Voice to initiate them

To be honest, you might save more money (spend just $7/month) and hassle with just using FutureNine's bare essentials plan (http://www.future-nine.com/plans.html). I have used this for more than 1 year now and I am quite pleased. I also have Sipgate programed on my PAP2 line two as a backup line. I use Google Voice to route calls to both so I never miss a call and I can even be on the phone and still answer calls on another phone plugged into line #2 if I need to.

If you use Sipgate + Sipsocery + Google Voice then incoming AND outgoing calls are free

HTuttle said: stinhoutx said: Improved repost of this.

I'm sorry. Just how is that "improved" ? Or did you mean that repost has improved over it's original self ?

This one HERE (Thanks MrChris) even has an FAQ. This one HERE goes to eleven !

You wasted my time.

I think stinhoutx meant this post is an improved repost of the other post. In stinhoutx post, "this" is a link to the other post, so "this" actually represents "the other post".

HTuttle said: Indeed, something is NOT RIGHT. I found many posts RE:the Vonage PAP2. They are locked down by Vonage, BUT there is instruction for unlocking them. The problem for me right now is I can't do the unlock without gaining access to the PAP2 webpage interface. There's even steps for doing a reset and enabling the webpage:
There's been a long-running battle between people unlocking Vonage PAP2s and Vonage locking them back up again. I vaguely recall the instructions you posted from unlocking my PAP2 some 5 years ago. About 3 years ago Vonage put out a new firmware which would "permanently" lock your PAP2 to them. I know because I accidentally plugged my PAP2 into the Internet after a reset and it auto-installed this firmware.

Fortunately for me, the first time I unlocked it, I wrote down the GPP_K key, which is what you need to regain root access to the unit no matter what firmware is put on it. So I was able to re-unlock my PAP2 and have been happily using it every since. Mind you it was no picnic. Newer firmwares automatically check Vonage.com for an updated firmware and will auto-install it. I basically had to set up a Linux server on my network to act as DNS server, then configure it so some ftp hosts at the Vonage.com domain pointed to a local ftp server instead of Vonage's. I programmed the ftp server to act just like the Vonage one, except the firmware it held was an unlocked one. When I fired up the PAP2, it would try to auto-install the latest firmware (verifying against the GPP_K key, which is why you need it), and thus grabbed the firmware on my local ftp server rather than from Vonage. If you have no idea what any of this means, you're gonna need an evening or two learning all this to get it to work. It may be easier just to buy a new unlocked PAP2.

At the time, if you didn't have the GPP_K key, there was no publicly known way to unlock it after the firmware auto-upgrade. There were however a handful of people offering to remote-unlock it over the Internet for $20. They seemed to have many happy customers, so it would seem even that firmware wasn't as bulletproof as Vonage had hoped.

Anyhow, mine has been unlocked for 3 years so I haven't been keeping up with what's been going on with this. There may be a new way to unlock it, or Vonage may have succeeded in locking it in a way which nobody has been able to break. I suggest you start with the voip-info site, keeping in mind the date on what you read, and what model PAP2 and firmware revision you have.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Linksys+PAP2+Unlocking+Method...

alamedian said:
I think stinhoutx meant this post is an improved repost of the other post. In stinhoutx post, "this" is a link to the other post, so "this" actually represents "the other post".

I see this..... now that you have pointed it out.

It's funny actually. Like one of those optical illusion drawings where you either see two profiles or a lamp, or the old glass that's half full or...

Then again, there really is no excuse for poor language skills

Solandri,

Thanks for the post. I saw stuff RE: unlocking a Vonage PAP2 as recent as March 2010, so maybe those instructions deal with Vonage's last firmware lock down. Basically these involve disconnecting from the internet and running a local ftp to upload the unlocking firmware files. But as i say, I can't even get to the webpage for my PAP2 yet.

I don't have a GPP_K key. Also, i am currently using my Vonage account so before I start really trying to reclaim the hardware, I just want to look around.

is the quality a good as Ooma?

ultimatebargainman said: is the quality a good as Ooma?
Quality: it can not beat OOMA.
But it is free compare to $1xx.

The best option yet would be using Whistlephone (www.whistlephone.com) SIP settings on any VOIP device for totally free phone service.

Jaydeep

Try VOIP.MS. It cost $1.50 a month for a phone number and 1.25 cents per minute.

Interesting. It's worth a try. Thx OP.

HomeTheatreMaven said: JimsEmptyWallet said: HomeTheatreMaven said: Okay, I'm new to all this, so a 2 basic questions.

Thanks.

I have Windows Virtual PC running in XP mode on my Windows 7 machine. Will this work or do I need VirtualBox?
And how can any virtual machine work when the Asterik 8 install says it will reformat all drives in the machine?

Another question: Is it right that I'll have to tell everyone who wants to call me that I have a different telephone number from the one I had for 40 years? Is there any way to retain my AT&T number with this system?

I would go with VirtualBox as its a real VM software. I use it all the time on my machine, One installation holds as many VM's as you want (but most people can only run 1 or 2 at the same time). Whenever I create a new VM with it, I just make a "drive" I want for it (say 15 Gigs),and then install whatever OS on that "drive" via the cd drive (which I have to tell VirtualBox to use). I personally would worry that MS cheated and didn't entirely virtualize the XP mode in win7.

Skipping 59 Messages...
Gizmo5 died this month.

fastness said:   now you can install asterisk on you DD-WRT routers with USB or SD.What if the router only has large storage space, for example 8 MB flash, but no USB or SD mod?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.