• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
These usually run about $25 and while Walgreen's is running them this week at what I thought was a good price at $19.99 (+ $5 in Register Rewards), CVS comes out and beats them at just $9.99 with their card. The at-home kit has two tests in it, making it a bargain for those with diabetes who want to know their A1c level between lab tests. Normally the cheapest is Wal-Mart's Relion mail-in test at $9, so this is really good if you are in the market for them. Sale ends 1/8/11.

Member Summary

Bayer A1c
Thanks DevilMonkey
Disclaimer
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good price but reviews on Amazon are hit and miss. Someone else claims it's a two-use kit, not one that can be used indefinitely.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Self-Check-Home-System/dp/B002V708IY

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2FBR3CK4S6AS7/

Actually being a two-use kit is a bonus as the other home A1c tests, and there's not a lot of them, are one-time use (and need to be mailed). That said, one should always rely mainly on a regular lab test. But if you can't afford one or are just curious to run one on your own, this would be a cheap way to do it. I haven't tried the Bayer yet, mainly because of the usual $25 price, but the last Relion I used was just slightly off my lab work. And because I had a 0.5% difference the time before, I did two Relions (to test them) the day I went to the lab. The Relions were 4.8% and 4.9%, while the lab was 5.1%, so not bad. They seem to be consistently lower than the lab but not by an alarming amount. But those are Relion. I'll have to test Bayer, but at $5 a pop for instant results it is worth a flyer.

Check with CVS Pharmacy they have a $5.00 coupon making the deal to $5.00. Since A1C gives you a 3 months average and doctor suggest to test every 6 months. This test kit will give you where you stand with your glucose level. It is worth to test it for $2.50 /test.

where did u find $ 5 coupan .

I have a lab test A1C every 6 months and use the Bayer A1C in between and it seems to be pretty consistent. This is a great deal.

I think CVS was giving out $5 coupons a few months ago. I asked the pharmacist at our local one and they just gave me a funny look. So no go. But still, $10 for two tests is a great deal.

Sounds good. My local lab charges $10 for a same day A1C ($20 for a full metabolic profile). This would be a handy alternative to let me know how I am doing in between.

I had a $10 off manufacturers coupon on A1c so that translated to zero for me.....Green for you....I got this coupon with a free sample meter...
Thanks

Are there any systems yet that have more test strips available? I honestly know very little about this technology, although I should... It would be neat to compare the results with the lab later this month.

Good Deal

jeffd said:   Are there any systems yet that have more test strips available? I honestly know very little about this technology, although I should... It would be neat to compare the results with the lab later this month.

It seems like there are really only about three companies marketing home A1c kits. The Bayer is the only instant one (and it can be used twice). The Relion at Wal-Mart ($9) and the Appraise Diabetes A1c test ($20 at some Targets & Amazon) are the mail-in type. You prick your finger, put a couple drops in the circle and mail it in. Usually you will have your results in a week by email, or two if you want mailed results.

Like I said, the last time I had a lab test I did a pair of Relion tests that same morning to compare. Both were just off by 0.2 & 0.3%. So that is pretty good. A time before, Relion was off by 0.5%, though that was about 12 days before my lab work (though, technically, there shouldn't have been much difference). In each case the Relion was lower than my lab work. On the Bayer site I think they say their result can range up to +/- 0.85%, which can be a big deal if you are hovering around the 7.0% zone.

The best way to see if these tests are accurate for you is to break open a Bayer (or, at $10, both of them) and a Relion the morning you go to your lab and compare results.

I did a free test recently at CVS using this meter the same day I had a lab test. The meter showed 6.1% and the lab test was 6.6%. While both were good, a 0.5% difference could be critical - assume that the meter showed 6.6% vs a real reading of 7.1%. This is the difference in having adequate control or being too high to be healthy.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014