• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Walgreens Alpha Hydroxy Face Cream
Disclaimer
Walgreens Alpha Hydroxy Face Cream

Regular $7.99
Sale $4.89

IMO the best value alpha hydroxy (AHA) you can get. At the normal price it was a great deal that went under the radar since it was a store brand. It's an even better deal now that Walgreens is discontinuing it.

I'm sad to see it going, but at least the local store employee let me know so I can stock up. I'm no expert on the subject but for me it has worked amazingly well to soften skin, reduce inflammation, help with acne, exfoliate.... Most reviewers (and the local store employee) seem to agree. When I first noticed it on the shelf I did a quick comparison with more expensive AHA formulations. It was nearly identical, for much less $$. One jar has last me at least a year of every-other-day use. And there is no expiration date on it - although with acidic solutions like this I do wonder how long it will hold its pH level.

Local store availability is limited so make sure you check before heading out to hunt it down (and hunt is the right word; it always takes me at least 5 minutes to find it amongst the hundreds of similar product in the aisle).

Edit: I should add that this is made by TriStrata, which is a subsidiary of NeoStrata which makes high end products sold by dermatologists. Can't say for sure if that actually equates to high quality in the Walgreens product. But to me it does suggest that.

Walgreens
See Walgreens discounts that earn 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Concentration:
8% AHA of 70% solution
Ingredients:
Water , Glycolic Acid , Propylene Glycol , Isopropyl Palmitate , Stearic Acid , Ammonium Hydroxide , Glyceryl Stearate , PEG-100 Stearate , Cetyl Alcohol , Isostearic Acid , Dimethicone , Magnesium Aluminum Silicate , Sorbitan Stearate , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Imidazolidinyl Urea , PEG-40 Stearate , BHT , Sorbic Acid
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Still $7.99 in store.

Thanks, OP. Green 4 U!

Use Promo Code SURVEY10 at checkout for 10% off total. There is also free shipping over $25.
PLUS, don't forget FW CashBack!

Our family also recommends Walgreens Moisturizing Cream for dry, sensitive skin, 16 0z, $9.99. It's often on sale for BOGO. Makes skin very soft and smooth overnight. It's a light-feeling cream that is gentle enough for the face & doesn't clog pores, but is inexpensive enough for a whole body treatment.

Thanks for the recommendation. Have you found any titanium or zinc sunscreen at Walgreens that's light enough for everyday face use? I need something to get me over $25, and after trying several different options over the past year, I still haven't found any non-chemical sunscreen that's not too heavy, or that doesn't make your face look white.

I found it at my local B&M but it still rings up at $7.99; the clerk said they had a sale tag on it for awhile but took it away. They don't match their online store either. I'm thinking of getting this since I work outdoors a lot and the AHA cream makes you extremely sun-sensitive.

...and I had my fillers all set and I noticed the sale is over.

jaymez619 said:   ...and I had my fillers all set and I noticed the sale is over.

Hmmm. Maybe it's not discontinued. Although at my local store there is a red "d" written over the label, in the slot where they used to stock it. Maybe they're just not carrying it in the store any longer.

Does anyone know if this product has an inner seal on it? I opened the last one at my local store and there was now seal; someone could have returned it or put something in it. I would think that there would be a piece of plastic glued over it.

I'm not certain, but I don't believe I have ever gotten one with a seal. It actually seems to be the norm with non-edible products - suncreen, moisturizing cream, etc. But you do have a point.

Good for guys too?

Also SURVEY10 expired

nbafan011 said:   Good for guys too?

Good for me. And I am one.

Think about putting on some sunscreen if you do use this daily (preferably this at night, sunscreen in the morning)... it might make your skin slightly more sensitive; it thins the upper most layer (good thing) and thickens/plumps the middle layer* (also a good thing).

*Edit: I think I misspoke on the plumping... it's retinoids that act on the middle layer.

Great. Now what else should I buy to get to $25.00?

Any other decent deals out there.

Dman081 said:   nbafan011 said:   Good for guys too?

Good for me. And I am one.

Think about putting on some sunscreen if you do use this daily (preferably this at night, sunscreen in the morning)... it might make your skin slightly more sensitive; it thins the upper most layer (good thing) and thickens/plumps the middle layer (also a good thing).

Is this a general purpose cream or is it meant for specific skin types/tones (such as one prone to acne)?

pkp413 said:   Is this a general purpose cream or is it meant for specific skin types/tones (such as one prone to acne)?

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can chine in. I'd say it's only for people who want to look a little younger As far as I know its not really for acne or any specific condition, although I would guess it could help. As I mentioned earlier it can make your skin a little more sensitive, so if you already have very sensitive skin it might be something to go lightly with, or avoid. I have somewhat sensitive skin and find it actually helps with the dryness and redness you can sometimes get with winter weather. It's basically an exfoliator that helps to hide lines and wrinkles and keeps the surface of your skin looking younger. Alpha hydroxy acid (amongst other acids) is what people are talking about when they speak of "chemical peels," but at a much higher concentration and lower (more acidic) pH.

Formulas like this tend to even out skin tone, and make the complexion look very moist and fresh (NOT oily, but youthful). Generally good for all skin types (men/women/all ethnicities), with a little caution as described below, since some folks are sensitive. All skin tones and types still need sunscreen during the day to avoid premature aging.

jaymez619 said:   ...I'm thinking of getting this since I work outdoors a lot and the AHA cream makes you extremely sun-sensitive.
That looks like a pretty good zinc/tianium sunscreen. For daily use, though, I wish it wasn't waterproof.

I've been trying to switch to suncreen products that don't score too badly on the Environmental Working Group's list (they need to change their name, IMO): LINK. I'm not sure I buy into the severity of the issues they cite. But I've seen (not read) a few studies that seem to support their position that some sunscreen ingredients may be doing harm.

Sale price is back again!!! Quick!!! Someone spare me a coupon code while my cart is loaded... Please??

edit: I spent $28.02 to save $3.10

Alpha Hydroxy Face Cream by Walgreens 4.0 oz. Reg. $7.99 Sale $4.89 You Save: $3.10

Baby SPF 60+ Pure & Gentle Sunscreen Stick
by Walgreens 0.5 oz. Reg. $5.99

Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Lotion SPF 55
by Walgreens 4.0 oz. Reg. $7.99

Sheer SPF 30 Oil-Free Sunscreen Stick
by Walgreens 0.5 oz. Reg. $5.99

Select Honey Roasted Peanutsby Walgreens 3.25 oz. Reg. $0.99 (filler to get free shipping for $25+)

Standard Shipping: $0.00
Items arrive 3 to 7 business days after processing

Subtotal: $25.85

Tax: $2.17

Total: $28.02

Some of the sunscreen products weren't available at the 3 local stores I visited so I guess it's not such a bad deal afterall.

This stuff really works!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014