• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Lowe's has a coupon for employees to share with "friends and family" for half off the rug doctor rentals.
Please read the fine print for more details (cannot be combined with other coupons/offers).
Rentals cost about $30 in my area so this is a good deal!

These are kept at customer service or found sometimes laying around the store.
Coupon for rental is good through 2/28/11

Here is the scan

Rug Doctor Coupon

Member Summary

Rug Doctor Rental Coupon
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I got the same treatment. The only way I could have used the coupon is to have the Employee (my friend's friend's friend... (more)

gt0138d (Feb. 12, 2011 @ 4:45p) |

Thanks! Rented one tonight, the CSR had no problems accepting a Black and White Copy of the Coupon.
$13.49 rental fee.

gullzway (Feb. 25, 2011 @ 7:34p) |

I use to rent the rug doctor regularly over the last 5 years. It did a decent job, but it was awkward to get into some ... (more)

davemac2 (Feb. 26, 2011 @ 12:46a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Wah...my Lowes rents the green )Bissell) rug cleaners, not Rug Doctor

Thanks was planning on doing this , this Mon great timming for me !

In 4 one....thanks

nice, thnx..

great find thanks, looking for one .

Pobre said:   Wah...my Lowes rents the green )Bissell) rug cleaners, not Rug Doctor

I'd try using the coupon anyway...all they can say is NO!

Any suggestions for saving money on the products that you use in the machine?

tracfancier said:   Any suggestions for saving money on the products that you use in the machine?

I picked one of these machines up last week at Costco and it is worth the $430 price tag. I have two large dogs that track in dirt constantly, so having to rent a machine is not a good option. Got tired of the bissels and hoovers breaking every year.

Make the first pass with plain hot water to get out the initial batch of dirt, and keep doing that until water starts to come back clear. Use white vinegar instead of the expensive cleaning solution. A cup or so per tank will clean and deodorize - the vinegar smell will go away as soon as the carpet dries. If you use the solution, use less than recommended until you get a feel for it. A couple ounces takes care of a tank.

These machines are a bit to handle, but do a great job and are built tough. Just got done doing the back bedroom and hallway and it did a great job taking care of the spots the dogs sleep all the time.

So this doesnt work on rugs only on carpets?

alochet said:   So this doesnt work on rugs only on carpets?

I am sure it would work on rugs... It isn't called the Rug Doctor for nuttin'..

Tom9999 said:   tracfancier said:   Any suggestions for saving money on the products that you use in the machine?

I picked one of these machines up last week at Costco and it is worth the $430 price tag. I have two large dogs that track in dirt constantly, so having to rent a machine is not a good option. Got tired of the bissels and hoovers breaking every year.

Make the first pass with plain hot water to get out the initial batch of dirt, and keep doing that until water starts to come back clear. Use white vinegar instead of the expensive cleaning solution. A cup or so per tank will clean and deodorize - the vinegar smell will go away as soon as the carpet dries. If you use the solution, use less than recommended until you get a feel for it. A couple ounces takes care of a tank.

These machines are a bit to handle, but do a great job and are built tough. Just got done doing the back bedroom and hallway and it did a great job taking care of the spots the dogs sleep all the time.


Great advice!
I've used simple green in the past, just be mindful it may not be suited for some carpets or rugs.
And the vinegar can be added to keep the foam down. I use it to clean my counters and bathrooms anyway.

Thanks great tips! Was trying to decide if its worth having the professionals come in and do the cleaning (w/ the commercial grade machine) or use a machine like this? We are seeing a good track pattern in the hallway and living room, and wasn't sure if anything would make a difference. Thanks!

SummerPeach77 said:   Tom9999 said:   tracfancier said:   Any suggestions for saving money on the products that you use in the machine?

I picked one of these machines up last week at Costco and it is worth the $430 price tag. I have two large dogs that track in dirt constantly, so having to rent a machine is not a good option. Got tired of the bissels and hoovers breaking every year.

Make the first pass with plain hot water to get out the initial batch of dirt, and keep doing that until water starts to come back clear. Use white vinegar instead of the expensive cleaning solution. A cup or so per tank will clean and deodorize - the vinegar smell will go away as soon as the carpet dries. If you use the solution, use less than recommended until you get a feel for it. A couple ounces takes care of a tank.

These machines are a bit to handle, but do a great job and are built tough. Just got done doing the back bedroom and hallway and it did a great job taking care of the spots the dogs sleep all the time.


Great advice!
I've used simple green in the past, just be mindful it may not be suited for some carpets or rugs.
And the vinegar can be added to keep the foam down. I use it to clean my counters and bathrooms anyway.

FWIW..Vinegar on carpets is not a good cleaner. It is acidic and can actually help set some stains. Always dry vacuum first. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Then go over with the rug doctor with a cleaner designed for carpets in it. Too acidic or too alkaline is bad for carpet and can void warranties. After your cleaning passes with carpet cleaner in the tank you can maybe do a pass after with plain water in the tank. The object is to leave as little cleaner residue as possible. And by all means follow the label directions for your cleaning solution. They put those on there for a reason. And yes it will work on rugs fine. If its a natural fiber (wool, etc.) just be sure to use a cleaner safe for that. Cleaning is all about PH.

Tried the Rug Doctor, wasn't too impressed. Cleaning wise it was okay, it did pull out some dirt, but it couldn't remove a coffee stain. I was using boiling water to clean. The worst part was that it left the carpet soaking wet, I did several passes trying to get it to suck as much water as possible. It left my carpet damp for the next 2 days. Good price though on the rental.

I had a great experience with this machine for what it's worth.

Unfortunately I don't have a Lowes close enough to make hauling over there and back worth it. But my local grocery store rents the same machines at $20. For anyone else who might be in the same situation, there's a coupon finder on Rug Doctor's site that gives a coupon for $5.00 off rental so it works out to be the same deal.

Says that can't be combined with any other offers but might be worth a shot trying to stack it with the Lowes coupon. They can only say no. Also, a $3.00 off coupon for any 17 oz or larger bottles of their cleaning solutions although I'd guess that you can find something equivalent for $3 less anyway.

Link below. You don't even need to plug in an e-mail address, just ZIP code and done.

http://rent.rugdoctor.com/map/map.html

Be sure to check the brush on the bottom periodically - especially if you have pets. A cheap plastic comb pulls the dog hair out easily. So much easier than any machine with rotating brushes. I did vacuum first with the shop vac, then the regular vac, to get most of the hair.

After checking Sunday's work when dry, the machine did much better than my old cleaners ever did on the 15 year old pile carpeting. Took care of dirt the old ones always left behind, even removed some dried cat vomit lurking behind some furniture, without having to pretreat. I did one or two passes with water depending on the traffic area, and one pass with the rug doctor cleaner that came with it.

tillwill26 said:   FWIW..Vinegar on carpets is not a good cleaner. It is acidic and can actually help set some stains. Always dry vacuum first. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Then go over with the rug doctor with a cleaner designed for carpets in it. Too acidic or too alkaline is bad for carpet and can void warranties. After your cleaning passes with carpet cleaner in the tank you can maybe do a pass after with plain water in the tank. The object is to leave as little cleaner residue as possible. And by all means follow the label directions for your cleaning solution. They put those on there for a reason. And yes it will work on rugs fine. If its a natural fiber (wool, etc.) just be sure to use a cleaner safe for that. Cleaning is all about PH.

There is a lot of science to cleaning stains. Is it a biological stain such as food or pet waste? Is it a chemical stain like automotive grease? Is it just plain dirt? I would reccomend to google the type of stain(s) you are trying to clean and do some reasearch. Of course with anything there is always "good enough".

Some hot water extractors come with an attachment so you can also clean your vehicles.

tillwill26 said:   FWIW..Vinegar on carpets is not a good cleaner. It is acidic and can actually help set some stains. Always dry vacuum first. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Then go over with the rug doctor with a cleaner designed for carpets in it. Too acidic or too alkaline is bad for carpet and can void warranties. After your cleaning passes with carpet cleaner in the tank you can maybe do a pass after with plain water in the tank. The object is to leave as little cleaner residue as possible. And by all means follow the label directions for your cleaning solution. They put those on there for a reason. And yes it will work on rugs fine. If its a natural fiber (wool, etc.) just be sure to use a cleaner safe for that. Cleaning is all about PH.
The vinegar over time, will destroy the glue in the carpet. I use 3/4 strength Bissel carpet cleaner and then go over everything with clear, warm water. Then do the last pass over with just the vacuum to extract the remaining water. I turn on the ceiling fan as well as area fans and it's completely dry within 12ish hrs.

brotherhpj said:   Pobre said:   Wah...my Lowes rents the green )Bissell) rug cleaners, not Rug Doctor

I'd try using the coupon anyway...all they can say is NO!


I got the same treatment. The only way I could have used the coupon is to have the Employee (my friend's friend's friend) standing next to CSR (head cashier) so that they could get their Employee ID. Too much of a hassle. The silver lining - they had a $10 mail-in rebate putting me back a few bucks for getting denied on the 50% off.

brotherhpj said:   Pobre said:   Wah...my Lowes rents the green )Bissell) rug cleaners, not Rug Doctor

I'd try using the coupon anyway...all they can say is NO!


I got the same treatment. The only way I could have used the coupon is to have the Employee (my friend's friend's friend) standing next to CSR (head cashier) so that they could get their Employee ID. Too much of a hassle. The silver lining - they had a $10 mail-in rebate putting me back a few bucks for getting denied on the 50% off.

Thanks! Rented one tonight, the CSR had no problems accepting a Black and White Copy of the Coupon.
$13.49 rental fee.

I use to rent the rug doctor regularly over the last 5 years. It did a decent job, but it was awkward to get into some tight spaces and a little clunky. I recently bought a hoover steamvac for $120 and have since used it twice. I was a little unsure how it would perform compared to the rug doctor, but I was pleasantly surprised. Cleaning wise, the steamvac does about the same job as a rugdoctor. What the steamvac does better though is suck more water out of the carpets, so they dry about 2x faster. I'm not sure why it performs better than the rugdoctor in that regard, but it simply does. The other thing I like about the steamvac is that it is much more manueverable than a rugdoctor and you can apply the cleaner and vaccuum on both push and pull strokes, wheareas the rug doctor you can only use on a pull stroke. Of course though, the rugdoctor waste and cleaning fluid containers have 2x the capacity of a steamvac, so you are going to end up stopping ans starting much more with the steamvac. As well, the steamvac portable cleaning attachement is just as good as the one you can rent with the rugdoctor. I don't expect the steamvac to last that long, but if I can get at least 1/2 dozen uses minimum out of the steamvac, I've gotten my money's worth in terms of convenience. I use ZEP carpet cleaner (blue gallon jug) that sells at HD for about $10/gal. Good stuff. Anyways, just thought I would give you my experience.

cheers

hoover steamvac
zep premium carpet shampoo



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014