• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Verizon Wireless is offering a free Home Phone Connect with unlimited minutes for $19.99 per month when you sign up for a 2 year contract.

This is being marketed as a home phone solution where you plug your land-line corded or cordless phone into the device, but the unit has a battery that will give from 2-3.5 hours of talk time and about 3 days of standby time. This could also work as a car phone or a mobile home phone or even a bag phone or backpack phone if you don't mind carrying around your land-line phone and a 12 ounce 5"x7"x1.5" black box.

Can the deal be sweetened? Certainly! For starters, if you are not a Verizon Wireless customer, find someone who is and have them refer you and after you have kept service for 31 days, both you and the person referring you will receive a $25 Visa debit card.

Make sure to order online on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday in order to have the $35 activation fee waived.

If you'd rather have a 12 or 13 month contract than a 2 year contract, then have your spouse or other family member or friend do an assumption of liability of your contract of either 24 or 23 months and they will only have to agree to a 1 year contract.

After the assumption of liability is done, they can refer up to six people and get $25 each with the referral program.

Unfortunately, employee discounts can not be applied to the $19.99/month plan.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Bump for info from user please.

Able to drop term to 1 year?

Able to get discount on cost?

WinterTexan (Mar. 31, 2011 @ 10:03a) |

Hey... this might be a pretty cool item, particularly if Verizon is not your RBOC (mine is Frontier).

Boomerang86 (Mar. 31, 2011 @ 10:18a) |

FYI if you wanted to get unlimited calls mostly from your car and you have an onstar subscription they offer $9.99 per m... (more)

lemonhead (Mar. 31, 2011 @ 12:09p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks for posting...
So for $20 per month, I get a battery powered device that does what?
A related link to Verizon would help.

Link
Verizon Wireless Home Phone Connect provides users with a high–quality, home phone service on Verizon’s CDMA network. Customers plug their existing home phone into the Home Phone Connect unit, complete the over–the–air service activation and begin to make calls, while keeping their existing home telephone number. The sleek device is a cost–efficient alternative to existing landline service and comes equipped with dual band fixed wireless with GPS

Just chatted with a Verizon Rep and there is no monthly fee if you have certain plans already.

Home Phone Connect is a product that targets customers who want to keep their existing home telephone equipment and reduce their monthly bills. Home Phone Connect is a CDMA telephone adaptor and is available at no cost with a Nationwide Family SharePlan, Nationwide Family SharePlan Plus Canada, Nationwide SharePlan Plus Mexico, Nationwide Small Business SharePlan, or Unlimited In-Home with a 2-year calling plan.

roamerr said:   Just chatted with a Verizon Rep and there is no monthly fee if you have certain plans already.

Home Phone Connect is a product that targets customers who want to keep their existing home telephone equipment and reduce their monthly bills. Home Phone Connect is a CDMA telephone adaptor and is available at no cost with a Nationwide Family SharePlan, Nationwide Family SharePlan Plus Canada, Nationwide SharePlan Plus Mexico, Nationwide Small Business SharePlan, or Unlimited In-Home with a 2-year calling plan.

I just spoke to a rep and they said it was either 9.99 and use your shared minutes on your family share plan or 19.99 unlimited. Their is still a fee even if you have the family share plan. Just the unit is free. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

Thanks, I guess their trying to get some of the Ooma, Nettalk business - targeting those (few) who don't have broadband at home.

For those that drive a lot - I'm guessing that you could connect this to a car battery, leave it there permanently and have unlimited mobile calls from your car.
or Do they check your position?

Does not support fax, DSl, or dial up either according to description.

support home security?

IMPORTANT 911 EMERGENCY RESPONSE INFORMATION:
Since the Device is designed to operate only in an indoor environment, please be prepared to provide your location inside the premises to public safety personnel during any calls to 911. The GPS chipset embedded in the Device will work best if the Device is located near a window or other opening.

While the Device does have a backup battery, if the landline phone to which the Device is connected requires external electric power to operate, Service (including the ability to make and receive 911 calls) will not be available during a power outage.

Neither Verizon Wireless nor any of its affiliates shall be liable for any service outage and/or inability to access emergency service personnel, nor shall Verizon Wireless or any of its affiliates be responsible for the acts or omissions of emergency response center personnel.

For additional technical information on how 911 functions with the Device, please see the PRODUCT SAFETY AND WARRANTY INFORMATION booklet that you received with your Device.

SERVICE USE AND LIMITATIONS:
While the Verizon Wireless coverage map at www.verizonwireless.com/coverage may provide some indication of the expected coverage at your location, you will need to assess whether the actual coverage at your location is acceptable to you for purposes of using the Home Phone Connect Service. You will need at least moderate Verizon Wireless coverage throughout your home to properly use the Service. The Home Phone Connect device is designed to provide coverage at your location that is consistent with other Verizon Wireless devices, but Verizon Wireless does not represent that Home Phone Connect service will be equivalent to landline phone service.

The Home Phone Connect Adaptor may not be compatible with certain home security systems. Please check with your home security system provider to confirm the compatibility requirements of your home security system.

If the Home Phone Connect Adaptor is connected to a cordless phone base station, any extension phones compatible with that base station can also use the Service, but the only corded telephones that can use the Service are those that are connected directly to the Home Phone Connect Adaptor.

Home Phone Connect Service is solely a wireless voice service. Data services typically available on handheld wireless phones or other wireless devices are not available through the Home Phone Connect Service. The Home Phone Connect Service also does not support incoming or outgoing fax calls, or dial-up or DSL Internet service.

The Service is not designed to function through a direct connection between the Device and a landline telephone wall jack. The Device must be connected to cordless or corded telephone hardware, as described in the Home Phone Connect User Manual. Never place a USB-based device into the USB port of the Home Phone Connect under any circumstances. Doing so may damage the device and negate its warranty. The USB port is designed for diagnostic purposes only, and is not intended for customer use.

The Service cannot be used to make 500, 700, 900, 976, 0+ collect, operator assisted, or dial around calls (e.g., 1010-XXXX).

Subject to the Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions, your Calling Plan, the Verizon Wireless Privacy Principles and Internet Privacy Policy (the latter two of which can be viewed at verizonwireless.com), and the above terms and conditions, as applicable. In the event of any conflict between these terms and conditions and your Customer Agreement or Calling Plan, these terms and conditions will control solely with respect to the subject matter addressed herein.

Last Updated: 02/17/11

Can You Hear Me NOW?
Disclaimer
robertsotx said:   Verizon Wireless is offering a free Home Phone Connect with unlimited minutes for $19.99 per month when you sign up for a 2 year contract.

This is being marketed as a home phone solution where you plug your land-line corded or cordless phone into the device, but the unit has a battery that will give from 2-3.5 hours of talk time and about 3 days of standby time. This could also work as a car phone or a mobile home phone or even a bag phone or backpack phone if you don't mind carrying around your land-line phone and a 12 ounce 5"x7"x1.5" black box.

You meant like this?

Saw this on Verizon's site yesterday. However my cell signal is so bad at my home, this would not be possible. I love the idea of the back-pack phone. Nic Pic HKSturboKid...

basically a cel phone box that allows you to connect your home phone and use it as a cel phone for $20 or $10/month.all the cost of a cel phone, without any of the benefits...

Does this count as an additional line? I have 5 lines already so I'm wondering if I am SOL.

Tmobile has an at home hotspot (similar to Vonage or I suppose this device) for $10/month. I believe it's called Tmobile at home. The downside is that you have to have a Tmobile cell phone...

Wizard83 said:   Saw this on Verizon's site yesterday. However my cell signal is so bad at my home, this would not be possible.

If you can get some kind of signal and have internet service at home, you may be able to use what they call a femtocell for cell service. Uses your cell phone not a land line phone. And will use your minutes as well as I understand things.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=gotoSe...

These devices have gotten pricey (up from $200 some months ago) but at least there is no monthly charge. I don't own one but my neighbor does and Verizon reception is not that great where I live.

In order to get this deal you have to give Verizon your Social Security Number.

In these days of Identity Theft, that kills it for me.

240crown said:   In order to get this deal you have to give Verizon your Social Security Number.

In these days of Identity Theft, that kills it for me.
they do a credit check just like a cell phone. If you don't, then pay a deposit and order over the phone

I heard about this last week when I was at a local Verizon store checking on a Pixi case. Seems interesting, but they said that I'd have to be approved for international calls. Don't really know what sort of approval that they're talking about, and assume that they mean calling vs. receiving. I home office and a number of my co-workers are overseas. Also not sure what happens if I move within the 2 years contract preriod and relocate to an area without Verizon coverage.

Green for OP for posting.. As for the deal -- LOL. It's a $20/mo VOIP service that has all the negatives of cellular.. I'll stick with voip.ms for $4.99/mo unlimited inbound + outbound $0.01/min (that can be mitigated using Google Voice).

This is one concept that hasn't been hit too hard with the VOIP boxes -- Battery backup. They actually put in their ad that the thing should last in standby for 2-3 days. The ISP's out there have been loading their modems with small lithium batteries for quite some time. To really feel good about always being "good to go" -- You would really have to invest in a small UPS to power your home telephone system and the VOIP box.

Keep in mind they will take you off of copper, or FIOS (phone only) as part of agreement.

ggrr8t said:   Keep in mind they will take you off of copper, or FIOS (phone only) as part of agreement.

Really? So what if you had dry loop DSL with Verizon (copper) and they do not offer FIOS in your area?

cgott42 said:   Thanks, I guess their trying to get some of the Ooma, Nettalk business - targeting those (few) who don't have broadband at home.

For those that drive a lot - I'm guessing that you could connect this to a car battery, leave it there permanently and have unlimited mobile calls from your car.
or Do they check your position?

Come on, car phones are so 1980's.

I work in sales for VZW and am actually pretty excited about this. Probably 1000 times better of a deal and easier to use than the ill fated Hub that we released a couple years ago. The device is free with a 2 year contract but if you have a larger monthly employee discount off your bill already (usually anything 17%+) you can do a 1 year contract and the device only costs $4.99 up front.

Any updates?

Does anyone have this and were they able to reduce the contract?

Get for free?

Bump for info from user please.

Able to drop term to 1 year?

Able to get discount on cost?

Hey... this might be a pretty cool item, particularly if Verizon is not your RBOC (mine is Frontier).

robertsotx said:   This could also work as a car phone or a mobile home phone or even a bag phone or backpack phone if you don't mind carrying around your land-line phone and a 12 ounce 5"x7"x1.5" black box..
FYI if you wanted to get unlimited calls mostly from your car and you have an onstar subscription they offer $9.99 per month for unlimited calling and you don't have to have an extra black box in the car

Here's a valid question about this though. Does Verizon have those devices that plug into your wireless network to let you call over the Internet? And if so does this integrate with that device in the unlikely event your Verizon signal could use a little boost?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014