• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
USPS Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes for short-distance
I just noticed that USPS now has a "Regional Rate" for shipping short distance priority mail.You need to use the special regional rate box to use this rate, which can be ordered free online:

order Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes [usps.com]
https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?...
This is what eBay says about this:

Save big on short-distance shipping

Starting in March, when you ship short-distances, you can use the new USPS Priority Mail® Regional RateTM boxes - available online only - for shipments of up to 15 lbs and shipments of up to 20 lbs. Choose this new option when your buyer is close to home.

For example, if you ship a 10 lb package from San Jose to Sacramento, look at the savings:

Priority Mail® costs $9.80
Priority Mail® Medium Flat Rate Box costs $10.50
Priority Mail® Regional Rate Box A costs only $4.97

Look for the USPS Regional Rate box option when you print labels on eBay. Remember - you've got to use the box to get these fantastic rates!"

thanks 142857

Member Summary

USPS Priority Mail, Regional Rate Boxes for short-distance
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I don't get these regional rates...the discounts offered are the same discounts when you print your labels on line...

I d... (more)

greatdeals_007 (Mar. 12, 2011 @ 11:01a) |

False. You can ship up to 15 pounds in a Regional A box (which is nearly the size of a Medium Flat Rate Priority box) to... (more)

mcornwell (Mar. 12, 2011 @ 1:00p) |

LOL. Actually I was surprised the other day to find paypal had added one of these, of course ignoring that there are two... (more)

mrBobbyA (Mar. 12, 2011 @ 2:52p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What is Priority Mail Regional Rate Box™?

Priority Mail Regional Rate Box is a new economical offering for small dense packages that is available for Priority Mail® commercial and Priority Mail Merchandise Return Service parcels. This service will be starting on January 2, 2011. Two box sizes Regional Rate Box A and Regional Rate Box B are available with two loading options. Prices for the product are based on box used and zone. USPS®-produced packaging required.
How can customers order the Priority Mail Regional Rate Box™?

The Priority Mail Regional Rate Box may be ordered online by providing the appropriate designated alpha identifier of either “A” or “B” at www.usps.com/shop or by calling Expedited Packaging Supplies at 1-800-610-8734. The box identifier distinguishes which box is being ordered.
Is the Priority Mail Regional Rate Box™ available at retail?

No. The Priority Mail Regional Rate Box is not available for customers at retail Post Office™ locations. Customers using Business Reply Mail® or Parcel Return Service (PRS) are also not eligible to use this product.

Thx

what's considered "regional" and A/B?? eBay only??

vickh said:   what's considered "regional" and A/B?? eBay only??

regional means by zone. the closer zones are cheaper vs zones farther away. A/B is the different box size. not eBay only. these came out i believe in jan.

Mgamer20o0 said:   vickh said:   what's considered "regional" and A/B?? eBay only??

regional means by zone. the closer zones are cheaper vs zones farther away..

how do we find our zone?

These are for commercial customers only.

EDIT: Thanks for the corrections below.

Commercial or online shipments.
You can not walk into a post office and pay for postage with these boxes.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/regionalratebox.htm said: Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes are a low-cost shipping alternative for commercial and online customers currently using either Priority Mail or Merchandise Return Service

[link to this post]

I have a small question...
If i have to ship a couple of items and i can fit the items on a medium flat rate box which is 10.95$ but if i print the label for 2-3 days priority its cheaper 7$ can i still use the medium flat rate box and print label based on the weight and send it.

The fine print on the box says that "The box should be used only for priority shipment only" and in my case its still a priority shipment.

Can you or someone throw some light on this. Coz the fine print did not say that to be used only for flat rate box only.

how can i tell if the address is zone a or b?

vickh said:   Mgamer20o0 said:   vickh said:   what's considered "regional" and A/B?? eBay only??

regional means by zone. the closer zones are cheaper vs zones farther away..

how do we find our zone?

Enter your first 3 digits of your zip code here
Prices here

christopher said:   Commercial or online shipments.
You can not walk into a post office and pay for postage with these boxes.

[L=http://www.usps.com/shipping/regionalratebox.htm said: Priority]http://www.usps.com/shipping/regionalratebox.htm]Priority[/L] Mail Regional Rate Boxes are a low-cost shipping alternative for commercial and online customers currently using either Priority Mail or Merchandise Return Service

actually that's not true - you can walk into a post office and pay for postage but you will be charged the counter priority mail rate.

these boxes MUST be ordered on the USPS.com site and postage paid for by online

my suggestion is to order a bundle of all 4 sizes so you have them ready. I've sent a ton of them so far - the A box is just a bit smaller than the medium flat box and the B box is just a bit smaller than the large flat box

some notes:
-- these boxes are made from a thinner cardboard - and are limited in weight unlike the flat rate boxes
-- these boxes are great - so far they have saved my customers a lot

MadCool said:   how can i tell if the address is zone a or b?

Zip code determine zone, size of box determines A or B.

Also this thread is pretty much a repost, discussed in this thread a few months ago:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1066288/m15622956#m15622956

c3 said:   These are for commercial customers only.

"Commercial" includes those using their Click-n-Ship, eBay/PayPal's postage system, and other systems line Endicia, etc.

mcornwell said:   Also this thread is pretty much a repost, discussed in this thread a few months ago:

That's Post is about Priority Flat Rate. That post didn't mention Regional until near the bottom when a Replier addded the info. Don't say "Repost" unless it's mention in the title of the post. I would rather have a Post specifically for Regional Boxes.

I hope paypal reflects this rate soon.

Watch out for USPS pricing tricks. Here's just a sample for shipping of a 2 pound box between two close cities, notice the Regional Box B is actually more than the regular Priority Mail rate. If I add more weight, the pricing does flip back to being less expensive.

Priority Mail® Wed, Mar 9 $5.08

Priority Mail® Regional Rate Box A
USPS-Produced Box: 13-1/16" x 11-1/16" x 2-1/2" or 10-1/8" x 7-1/8" x 5" Wed, Mar 9 $5.08

Priority Mail® Regional Rate Box B
USPS-Produced Box: 16-1/4" x 14-1/2" x 3" or 12-1/4" x 10-1/2" x 5-1/2" Wed, Mar 9 $6.88

Priority Mail Regional Rate Box A has a 15-pound weight limit
Priority Mail Regional Rate Box B has a 20-pound weight limit

lol, man I was ready to go into work Monday with a memo on how we were going to change shipping things. Our boxes feel like they're filled with lead. We even drop them at the post office ourselves because I feel bad for my mailman.

A good Thumb Rule is:

If it's over 2lbs Box A is cheaper.
If it's over 4lbs Box B is cheaper.

The only exceptions are if the recipient is very close to you. Or the item's too heavy. Or it won't fit in the box.

USPS is becoming way too complicated with all these new rates & boxes.

You're not comparing similar sizes. The $5.08 normal priority mail is for the small box.

jschuman said:   

Priority Mail® Wed, Mar 9 $5.08

Priority Mail® Regional Rate Box A
USPS-Produced Box: 13-1/16" x 11-1/16" x 2-1/2" or 10-1/8" x 7-1/8" x 5" Wed, Mar 9 $5.08

Priority Mail® Regional Rate Box B
USPS-Produced Box: 16-1/4" x 14-1/2" x 3" or 12-1/4" x 10-1/2" x 5-1/2" Wed, Mar 9 $6.88

these are fine is you are shipping LEAD or GRAVEL, but if you just ship a cell phone or small light items - it's cheaper to go USPS FIRST CLASS. And check with the UPS and FedEx website. They have free shipping calculators to tell you how much it will cost you to send something. I ship alot because of eBay and once in a while it's actually cheaper to use them - especially when shipping cross country.

After reading this thread, it is still not very clear to me that: can you ship between zones (defined by USPS) using this new Regional box? Or you can only ship within one zone?

Thanks.

popularbhaskar said:   [link to this post]

If i have to ship a couple of items and i can fit the items on a medium flat rate box which is 10.95$ but if i print the label for 2-3 days priority its cheaper 7$ can i still use the medium flat rate box and print label based on the weight and send it.

The fine print on the box says that "The box should be used only for priority shipment only" and in my case its still a priority shipment.

Can you or someone throw some light on this. Coz the fine print did not say that to be used only for flat rate box only.

Priority is the class and they will not allow anything saying Priority to be mailed 1st class or parcel post.
Flat rate is just "whatever fits, ships for one flat rate" as the commercial says. It's actually not a bad deal, usually ends up being cheaper than using your own packaging, especially if it's heavy.

mcornwell said:   vickh said:   
how do we find our zone?

Enter your first 3 digits of your zip code here
Prices here

thx!

so is there a caluculator that says which flat rate box to use, Regional or national??

OK, I just finally figured out how USPS is princing these packages.

Here's the rules ...

Regional Rates are only available to commercial customers or those using online postage.

Box A has a 15-pound maximum weight limit.
Box B has a 20-pound maximum weight limit.

Box A is ALWAYS priced as a Priority Mail 2-pound rate.
Box B is ALWAYS priced as a Priority Mail 4-pound rate.

So if you print postage online and ship things between 2 lbs and 20 lbs and it fits in one of the Regional boxes, these will save you postage over regular Priority Mail shipping.

However, for long distance shipping their normal Flat Rate box could still be lower.

can you order a "variety" regional box pack??

jschuman said:   So if you print postage online and ship things between 2 lbs and 20 lbs and it fits in one of the Regional boxes, these will save you postage.

is a mileage yard gudieline as well??

Delete me

Butcherboy said:   For example, if you ship a 10 lb package from San Jose to Sacramento, look at the savings:

That's all fine and dandy, except that the Medium Flat Rate Box is BIGGER than the Regional Rate Box A. So it is almost impossible to make a true apples-to-apples comparison.

usps
Disclaimer
thumpergeek said:   popularbhaskar said:   [link to this post]

Priority is the class and they will not allow anything saying Priority to be mailed 1st class or parcel post.
Flat rate is just "whatever fits, ships for one flat rate" as the commercial says. It's actually not a bad deal, usually ends up being cheaper than using your own packaging, especially if it's heavy.

I am not sure what box i have.. It says mailing box on top and it does not say "flat rate box ". It says Mailing box for domestic and international use. On top it says priority mail. I have attached a photo to this post with a copy of the box. I am not sure what it is. Can i use it instead of me packing stuff.

smokediverxxx said:   these are fine is you are shipping LEAD or GRAVEL, but if you just ship a cell phone or small light items - it's cheaper to go USPS FIRST CLASS. And check with the UPS and FedEx website. They have free shipping calculators to tell you how much it will cost you to send something. I ship alot because of eBay and once in a while it's actually cheaper to use them - especially when shipping cross country.

TRUE,,, 1st class can be a box and as long as it is no heavier than 13Oz it is substantially cheaper than Priority Mail

Also note that in most cases 1st class is as fast or faster than Priority Mail. It is very possible that a 1st class package be delivered next day , that is not possible with Priority Mail

1st class can also have delivery confirmation

swandown said:   Butcherboy said:   For example, if you ship a 10 lb package from San Jose to Sacramento, look at the savings:

That's all fine and dandy, except that the Medium Flat Rate Box is BIGGER than the Regional Rate Box A. So it is almost impossible to make a true apples-to-apples comparison.

That is the primary benefit of the Regional Rate boxes; even for coast-to-coast shipments, the Regional Box A offers a lower cost option for shipments that are too large for the small flat rate box, don't require the medium.

Actually I believe priority international flat rate boxes (using the same domestic boxes) also have weight limits.

Thanks OP. Now my area where I store all the USPS boxes are going to look like a real post office with more sizes and confusion.

I need to do more research on this, but thanks for pointing this out OP!

wildbottom said:   mcornwell said:   Also this thread is pretty much a repost, discussed in this thread a few months ago:

That's Post is about Priority Flat Rate. That post didn't mention Regional until near the bottom when a Replier addded the info. Don't say "Repost" unless it's mention in the title of the post. I would rather have a Post specifically for Regional Boxes.
Correct on the false repost. But these boxes were already discussed in the FWOA forum, here.

I'm still a little confused. How do i know if the package being sent qualifies as "close" for these regional boxes?

smokediverxxx said:   these are fine is you are shipping LEAD or GRAVELBut these are awesome for my site, UraniumForU.com

Skipping 11 Messages...
ganda said:   ... I expect eBay/PayPal to have integrated these boxes around about the time of The Rapture. I use PayPal shipping, so these are a PITA.

LOL. Actually I was surprised the other day to find paypal had added one of these, of course ignoring that there are two sizes of Regoinal rate "A" and two sizes of Regional rate "B" boxes. But we'll call it progress.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014