• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
What discounts and discount plans are available to E-ZPass users at Port Authority bridges & tunnels?
(George Washington Bridge, Lincoln Tunnel, Holland Tunnel, Goethals Bridge, Outerbridge Crossing, Bayonne Bridge)


http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/e-zpass.html

EZPASS carpool of 3+ people only $2 - NJ to NYC thru Lincoln Tunnel, Holland Tunnel, George Washington Bridge

The toll for Port Authority Carpool customers is $2 per vehicle at all hours.

You must have an E-ZPass account and you must register for the Port Authority Carpool Discount Plan.

To register for the Carpool Plan, call 800-333-8655 (New York Service Center) or 888-288-6865 (New Jersey Service Center).

Customers must use a staffed "Cash-E-ZPass" toll lane and come to a complete stop so the toll collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle.

here's the link to the website site that explains it

Member Summary

Carpool plan
Thanks Funnyman1026
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
A friend had this happen to him as well...so what I do - just request another tag (I believe you can have up to 4 per ac... (more)

thised1 (Mar. 08, 2011 @ 9:31a) |

There are many ways to save on gas.

a) Mass Transit (very useful in NYC metro area, as it is very well developed compare... (more)

blueiedgod (Mar. 08, 2011 @ 9:33a) |

YES fill up in JERSEY

goatssbyday (Mar. 08, 2011 @ 10:19a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

MISTERCHEAP said:   

Customers must use a staffed "Cash-E-ZPass" toll lane and come to a complete stop so the toll collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle.

here's the link to the website site that explains it


You must stop at a staffed lane! that kills the whole e-z pass concept...

Netzaper said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

Customers must use a staffed "Cash-E-ZPass" toll lane and come to a complete stop so the toll collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle.

here's the link to the website site that explains it


You must stop at a staffed lane! that kills the whole e-z pass concept...


depends on the crossing...

at the GW/Outerbridge/Goethels, probably not as bad.

Horrible at the Lincoln/Holland Tunnels with already very long lines.

For tunnels, the staffed lanes adds a few minutes as most commuters do not carpool.
Gets bad on the weekends after 11:00AM - sometimes one can wait an extra 25 minutes after 12:30PM.

So usually an extra 3 minute or so, but save $5 or $6.
So what's an extra few minutes if you are there for 45 minutes anyway?

So to recap... call up and register your ez-pass, costs you nothing, if you have three people in your car you can decide to wait or not based on traffic. Seems like a no-brainer.

I haven't registered for the program, and crossed Outerbridge driving from FL in a rental. Attendant noted my request for car-pool rate. Now I see $6 on my statement (not $2 I hoped for, but not $8 as the cash charge would be). I wonder if I can still get $4 refund?

You also be careful if you already had another plan like commuter or green pass..

E-Zpass never makes things easy like changing plan - I had to return my old tag and never got prepaid magnetic shielding envelope when getting new greenpass. (the letter said it's in there.)

I called them and asked one, and was told "no, in that case, you had to pay shipping".
So I sent my tag where they told me and find additional $1.75 charged on my e-zpass account when USPS truck passed a toll with my tag.

And just yesterday, new prepaid envelope arrived and they want to ship my tag different address. What a mess..

awhosit said:   So I sent my tag where they told me and find additional $1.75 charged on my e-zpass account when USPS truck passed a toll with my tag.

Now that's just hilarious! Hope you get everything straightened out quickly (including a $1.75 refund).

Had this for years. Works well. It's traffic dependent. I've said many times screw it the 25 min wait at the Holland isn't worth it. But i have the option

denbo32 said:   Had this for years. Works well. It's traffic dependent. I've said many times screw it the 25 min wait at the Holland isn't worth it. But i have the option

Had this for years as well, and used to be $1 for carpool. Didn't even know if went up cuz haven't used carpool in a while.

Does it work if you have an out of state tag (MassDOT)? Since MassDOT does not charge a monthly fee like NJ/NY - I do get the discounts on the NJ TPK without registering, but haven't tried this yet...

rsuaver said:   Does it work if you have an out of state tag (MassDOT)? Since MassDOT does not charge a monthly fee like NJ/NY - I do get the discounts on the NJ TPK without registering, but haven't tried this yet...

from the site, it sounds like your EZ Pass has to be based in the NY or NJ service areas to be eligible for the program. not 100% sure, but that's my interpretation.

Damn I have been paying $8 all this time.

MISTERCHEAP said:   Netzaper said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   

Customers must use a staffed "Cash-E-ZPass" toll lane and come to a complete stop so the toll collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle.

here's the link to the website site that explains it


You must stop at a staffed lane! that kills the whole e-z pass concept...


depends on the crossing...

at the GW/Outerbridge/Goethels, probably not as bad.

Horrible at the Lincoln/Holland Tunnels with already very long lines.
The George Washington Bridge is the worst as far as EZ Pass... the slow cash lanes clog up everything for a mile, you don't get to take advantage of the EZ Pass until the last 50 yards

I have registered couple of years ago. Last year alone, save me over $220. As Ginzo mentioned above, why not register? It's a free program, and gives you the option to either save a few minutes paying full price or go through a staffed lane and save $6.

fivetalents said:   awhosit said:   So I sent my tag where they told me and find additional $1.75 charged on my e-zpass account when USPS truck passed a toll with my tag.

Now that's just hilarious! Hope you get everything straightened out quickly (including a $1.75 refund).


I just talked to them and a refund was easy, because they could also tell that they had my tag in their p.o. box. (Of course, I have tracking number, too. - another .75 cent, but worth.)

But I still have 2 tags - white and green. No idea why they have to send out 2 tags for green pass discount holders.

You can sign up for the plan on their website (the plan is called "PACP"):

https://www.e-zpassny.com/vector/account/maintenance/planList.do

I have had for 9 years now. When you go into the Cash/EZPass lane, make sure you stop and ask the person if they got you. If there is only one or two cars in the lane and I don't have three people in the car, I do go through the lane and if the person is counting money, they sometimes press the button and I get away with the $2 toll.

I am using this for a few years now, and spread the words to get many of my friends sign up for EZ Pass just for this discount. Good that someone posted it on FW too.

DucMon00 said:   denbo32 said:   Had this for years. Works well. It's traffic dependent. I've said many times screw it the 25 min wait at the Holland isn't worth it. But i have the option

Had this for years as well, and used to be $1 for carpool. Didn't even know if went up cuz haven't used carpool in a while.


Had this for years also, this isn't new. Mr. C, did you just find this out now? Not really a new deal, this has been going on since a long long time ago back in the 90's it was a booklet of tickets that you gave the toll collector. Back then carpool only cost 50 cents each ticket!!!!

thanks.
any way to save gasoline price ?

njguy646 said:   DucMon00 said:   denbo32 said:   Had this for years. Works well. It's traffic dependent. I've said many times screw it the 25 min wait at the Holland isn't worth it. But i have the option

Had this for years as well, and used to be $1 for carpool. Didn't even know if went up cuz haven't used carpool in a while.


Had this for years also, this isn't new. Mr. C, did you just find this out now? Not really a new deal, this has been going on since a long long time ago back in the 90's it was a booklet of tickets that you gave the toll collector. Back then carpool only cost 50 cents each ticket!!!!


it's new if you didn't know about it, and obviously many people didn't.

i have this plan, too bad that i drive alone so no car pool discount for me.

at times when not many people are at the cash/ezpass lane, i drive up to the booth and wave or say thank you to the attendant, they mostly don't look and hit me with the discount every now and then anyway, but make sure that you do not say carpool when you are by yourself because technically you can get fined for it.

dubium said:   You can sign up for the plan on their website (the plan is called "PACP"):

https://www.e-zpassny.com/vector/account/maintenance/planList.do


do you have to call to verify your registration?

Word of warning:

I sent my E-ZPass back to NY, a few years ago, when they notified me that the battery was going. I must have had it for about 9, or so years. They sent me another one, that was new. I sent the old one back, in the envelope they furnished. They sent me a bill for the old one. I had to pay $25 at that time, because they never received it.

EZ-Pass, doesn't know their elbows, from their ass! If I were to send it again, I would use certified mail. To prove, that I had a signature from them.

........Marv

I've been doing this for years now too. It doesn't hurt to add it to the plan, it just gives you the option of being able to pay less when there's less traffic.

I usually go out during the mornings so I don't need to waste gas idling in traffic. They should allow you to use it in the EZ Pass lane and have to push a button or something that snaps a picture. I sometimes wait there until I see the attendant push the button if they are not attentive which is usually 50% of the time...

Marvinomatic said:   Word of warning:

I sent my E-ZPass back to NY, a few years ago, when they notified me that the battery was going. I must have had it for about 9, or so years. They sent me another one, that was new. I sent the old one back, in the envelope they furnished. They sent me a bill for the old one. I had to pay $25 at that time, because they never received it.

EZ-Pass, doesn't know their elbows, from their ass! If I were to send it again, I would use certified mail. To prove, that I had a signature from them.

........Marv


A friend had this happen to him as well...so what I do - just request another tag (I believe you can have up to 4 per account), and when I am in the area - bring the old tag(s) to the customer service center and get receipt.

freejs said:   thanks.
any way to save gasoline price ?



There are many ways to save on gas.

a) Mass Transit (very useful in NYC metro area, as it is very well developed compared to other parts of the country)

b) Bike (bike lanes are pretty much everywhere now)

c) Walk (very possible in many parts of NYC metro)

d) Scooter (doable, but you have to be a good rider to survive)

e) Motorcycle (doable, but you have to be even better than good rider to avoid the idiots who don't know how to drive)

blueiedgod said:   freejs said:   thanks.
any way to save gasoline price ?



There are many ways to save on gas.

a) Mass Transit (very useful in NYC metro area, as it is very well developed compared to other parts of the country)

b) Bike (bike lanes are pretty much everywhere now)

c) Walk (very possible in many parts of NYC metro)

d) Scooter (doable, but you have to be a good rider to survive)

e) Motorcycle (doable, but you have to be even better than good rider to avoid the idiots who don't know how to drive)



YES fill up in JERSEY



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014