• filter:
  • 1 2 34550
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Is this something you can buy now - and add to an Android Tablet in the future?

rated:
rbraden said:   Completely off-topic, but allowing a company to trademark something like "app store" is insane. They sell applications, which basically everyone calls "apps" and has since the 1970s or earlier (when spreadsheets were a "killer app"). So something ridiculously obvious plus "store"? Why not trademark "music store" or "video store"? It doesn't even come close to passing the "not obvious" test.

Or "windows". The laws are what they are, and as a consumer without investment in any of these companies, I don't really care. I don't have a dog in this fight. It's not worth getting breathless over.

rated:
slickdeal45 said:   rbraden said:   Completely off-topic, but allowing a company to trademark something like "app store" is insane. They sell applications, which basically everyone calls "apps" and has since the 1970s or earlier (when spreadsheets were a "killer app"). So something ridiculously obvious plus "store"? Why not trademark "music store" or "video store"? It doesn't even come close to passing the "not obvious" test.

Or "windows". The laws are what they are, and as a consumer without investment in any of these companies, I don't really care. I don't have a dog in this fight. It's not worth getting breathless over.

I agree, and I don't care much either. I'm just saying that all patents and trademarks are required to be "not obvious" to be valid, and I think to argue that "app store" is not obvious is pretty incredulous. I don't blame apple for protecting its trademarks, but many patents are granted and then reversed upon closer examination, and I imagine the folks at Apple know that this one is unlikely to stand up to scrutiny.

"Windows" is definitely "not obvious" in terms of a name for a user interface. A store that sells applications being called an app store is a bit more obvious IMHO.

rated:
slickdeal45 said:   dongky said:   
Yeah looks nice. Too bad Apple is suing Amazon for using the "app store" name. WTF

Some of the anger over that amazes me. If a company doesn't attempt to protect its trademarks, it loses them. That's how the law works. It's nothing to get emotional about.

Trademarking mundane words such as "app store" is ridiculous. Suing over it is nothing short of ludicrous, and the judge should've thrown out that case to begin with. I hope Apple will get their nose broken in that meritless "lawyerly" exercise.

rated:
thanks!

rated:
homealone said:   Trademarking mundane words such as "app store" is ridiculous. Suing over it is nothing short of ludicrous, and the judge should've thrown out that case to begin with. I hope Apple will get their nose broken in that meritless "lawyerly" excirsise.

Why are you emotional about this? I don't understand the anger. Has someone involved harmed you?

rated:
John Stewart said it best: the new name for Apple is "App Hole". They have become the monster that was Microsoft. Meanwhile, Bill Gates is dedicating his life to eradicating malaria.

rated:
I try to download it and then Amazon said you need to buy it. i just hate to go through the shipping screen and the whole nine yard.

rated:
love it

rated:
Does this version have Ads in it??

rated:
PharmerNate said:   A quick guide for Angry Birds.

great graphic - so apt.

rated:
slickdeal45 said:   homealone said:   Trademarking mundane words such as "app store" is ridiculous. Suing over it is nothing short of ludicrous, and the judge should've thrown out that case to begin with. I hope Apple will get their nose broken in that meritless "lawyerly" excirsise.

Why are you emotional about this? I don't understand the anger. Has someone involved harmed you?

And why are you so interested in this off-topic. It's your third post on the issue.

As to me, I'm neither emotional nor angry. It's just Apple goes out of their way to portray themselves as a "cool" company and seeing how they are trying to game the legal system for a ludocrous non-existant cause makes me root against them. That's all.

OK, ok, so maybe I DO have very low regards for their severely overpriced hardware and highly restrictive and controlling business model as well. So... go Amazon!

rated:
homealone said:   And why are you so interested in this off-topic. It's your third post on the issue.

As to me, I'm neither emotional nor angry.

I didn't bring it up, but I do think that the way people display anger over it is interesting. You use the word ridiculous two times in that last post, then said that noses should be broken over the issue. That's language that's laden with emotions--you want harm to come to others and seem to have a lot of feelings about this. You say you're not angry, but your words and tone sure indicate otherwise. There's nothing wrong with being angry--I just wonder why. It seems like an impersonal issue that's not likely to affect your life in any way. Am I wrong about that?

rated:
CupCak3 said:   I wonder if these "free" apps will stay with your account if you need to wipe your phone or get a new one. If so, that would be awesome.

Anyone happen to know?

I had to totally reset mine a couple of weeks ago and yes, it wiped all the apps off the screen BUT I still get the update notifications for them which reinstalls them. I'm glad for that since no way could I remember all I had on it!

Thanks, OP, for notifying us of this latest version. I love Angry Birds (why, I don't know!) but AT&T won't let me download it. One of the things I don't like about AT&T but am waiting for them to allow the Amazon Apps download!

rated:
Thanks OP green 4 U

rated:
If I install this version, will I lose the progress I have made so far in the ad-supported free version?

rated:
thanks op

rated:
sartor said:   Does this version have Ads in it??

I recommend reading the OP. If that's too much for you, just read the first line of the OP, which reads:

"Angry Birds Rio Free today from Amazon Android Appstore (this is the paid version, not the ad-supported version)"

rated:
slickdeal45 said:   homealone said:   And why are you so interested in this off-topic. It's your third post on the issue.

As to me, I'm neither emotional nor angry.

I didn't bring it up, but I do think that the way people display anger over it is interesting. You use the word ridiculous two times in that last post, then said that noses should be broken over the issue. That's language that's laden with emotions--you want harm to come to others and seem to have a lot of feelings about this. You say you're not angry, but your words and tone sure indicate otherwise. There's nothing wrong with being angry--I just wonder why. It seems like an impersonal issue that's not likely to affect your life in any way. Am I wrong about that?

The interest you are displaying in their emotions is an emotion. There's nothing wrong with being interested--I just wonder why. It seems like an impersonal issue that's not likely to affect your life in any way. Am I wrong about that?

rated:
At&t has disabled installing apps from third party. I just googled and found a way to install angry birds Rio on my captivate. Here is the link

rated:
So stupid, You have to change your global security settings to make these work.....then the game didn't even work.

rated:
Thanks OP !!!

rated:
Thanks OP !!!

rated:
sredni said:   If I install this version, will I lose the progress I have made so far in the ad-supported free version?

Why do you think it would? If you install the game Paper Toss, do you think it would delete the progress you have made for the game Guns'n'Glory? Angry Birds and Angry Birds Rio are completely different games/applications. Rio is not an update for the original Angry Birds.

rated:
rbraden said:   ablang said:   One thing anyone forgot to mention is that Am@zon Appstore will ask you to register a credit card # for you to download this free app.

That didn't apply for me. It may be because I logged into my Amazon account which already has a credit card attached. I'd love to meet the FWer who doesn't have an Amazon account already
Nice to meet ya, I don't have an Amazon Acct. but that could change....at any second..

rated:
You need to install the Amazon app for Angry Birds to work. And if you uninstall the Amazon app, then Angry Birds will break.

rated:
thanks, op. DLed to a rooted NookColor...

rated:
i was surprised that there were so many negative ratings for the game. then when I read the reviews i realized they weren't really negative ratings for the game - they were more negative ratings for incompatibilities, whether they be not being able to install on ATT or just not being able to install on that particular phone. i'm sure that this will be worked out over time, but I think that's one of the advantages of apple's app store (for now). since they control the hardware and OS, there are very few compatibility issues - consequently, if you check the ratings for the same game (which actually costs $1) at the app store, there are almost no 1* reviews.

rated:
thank you op!

Just installed it! it is a brand new game(same stratergy) with new levels and with better graphics...

rated:
Havent got past stage 1 but kinda miss the snarky pigs

rated:
hisgranny said:   CupCak3 said:   I wonder if these "free" apps will stay with your account if you need to wipe your phone or get a new one. If so, that would be awesome.

Anyone happen to know?

I had to totally reset mine a couple of weeks ago and yes, it wiped all the apps off the screen BUT I still get the update notifications for them which reinstalls them. I'm glad for that since no way could I remember all I had on it!

Thanks, OP, for notifying us of this latest version. I love Angry Birds (why, I don't know!) but AT&T won't let me download it. One of the things I don't like about AT&T but am waiting for them to allow the Amazon Apps download!

While this is correct for the Android Marketplace, I would not assume the same for the Amazon Marketplace.

rated:
No problems installing on my Droid Incredible. Runs great, no compatibility or performance problems.

rated:
ricrick - how did you get it to download on a Nook Color. I keep getting Installation of download apks is not supported. Where is the settings menu to allow "Unknown Sources"?

I'm running Android 3 Honeycomb

rated:
ricrick said:   thanks, op. DLed to a rooted NookColor...

Any problems with installing it on your Nook?

rated:
schwoozer said:   I do not understand the appeal of Angry Birds AT ALL.

Yet, I cannot put it down.

That's the thing. It's not a graphic intensive game, not does it have a compelling story, it's simple. It's not going to improve my productivity,or getting me in trouble with PETA for animal cruelty, nor make me smarter, but it's a fun little game.

rated:
Works great on my Nook Color and EVO

rated:
Installed on my Nook Color with no problems. Check the box in your device settings to allow 3rd party app installation.

AT&T sucks for not allowing 3rd party apps. But people should have known that before buying from AT&T.

rated:
In for one!

rated:
Got one - this time we are freeing birds not destroying pigs.

rated:
AT&T blocks AppStore install - what a shame!!
Great post anyway, thanks OP!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 2 34550
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014