• Go to page :
  • 12 3 45
  • Text Only
GideonX said:   yesidonoitall said:   How do I get a .edu eMail addy

Enroll in a school that provides you with one.

I'm not sure how my math is, but it's probably cheaper to just buy Win7 at full price if you are serious.



Well, if Bill Gates can feed the feriners then he can sell me this with a phoney edu address.

I am running Vista home premium 32-bit...can I upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit, or must I stay with the 32-bit only???? thanks.

GideonX said:   yesidonoitall said:   How do I get a .edu eMail addy

Enroll in a school that provides you with one.

I'm not sure how my math is, but it's probably cheaper to just buy Win7 at full price if you are serious.
If you don't NEED pro version you can pick up a Win7 Home Family pack for around $100 when it's on sale or with a coupon some times. That works out to around $35/license.

The timing on this could not have been more perfect. I was almost gonna downgrade an older Win7 machine to use that copy on my HTPC build. I received the final part on Friday, this was posted Friday. I'm typing this reply from the new HTPC. Thanks!

this is good. Thanks!

I got in on one of these a year ago. I payed @ $34 for the dvd turned out they had the option for full version or upgrade , came with 32 and 64 bit. for ugrade options check Microsoft. You were not able to upgrade direct from XP to 7, You had to upgrade xp to vista then 7 or just install fresh

malmspilot said:   I am running Vista home premium 32-bit...can I upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit, or must I stay with the 32-bit only???? thanks.No, you can and should upgrade to 64-bit (actually, you should've done so when installing Vista). There's no compelling reason to stick with a 32-bit OS anymore, and even if you don't YET have a really compelling reason to go to a 64-bit OS, you may in the near future, before you want to buy another OS.

What you can't do is an in-place upgrade. You'll need to install the OS and transfer your settings over. That's not really a problem, though.

microsoft is saying that neither the australi.edu or californiacolleges.edu address i gave them are valid .edu addresses.

mkoenig said:   microsoft is saying that neither the australi.edu or californiacolleges.edu address i gave them are valid .edu addresses.

lol

I think they got 'hip' to those.

malmspilot said:   There's no compelling reason to stick with a 32-bit OS anymore, and even if you don't YET have a really compelling reason to go to a 64-bit OS, you may in the near future, before you want to buy another OS.

Low disk space on my SSD drive, only 4GB in my desktop and certain specialty programs/drivers that are not 64-bit compatible are all compelling reasons.

I got the same error message of "The purchase limit for this product has been exceeded, no more purchases are allowed. If you would like to purchase a different product, click here." when I click on the 64-bit version. It allows me to add the 32-bit version to the cart however. I previously purchased a copy of Win7 Pro through one of these promotions so I assume this must be why it's giving me that error.

Can a 32 bit key be used for 64 bit Win7? (Edit: Google says yes.)

Kralik said:   malmspilot said:   There's no compelling reason to stick with a 32-bit OS anymore, and even if you don't YET have a really compelling reason to go to a 64-bit OS, you may in the near future, before you want to buy another OS.

Low disk space on my SSD drive, only 4GB in my desktop and certain specialty programs/drivers that are not 64-bit compatible are all compelling reasons.

Drivers, yes, but programs shouldn't be an issue. A handful of obsolete pieces of hardware never got 64-bit drivers (I had to replace my printer, which resulted in me getting a much better printer with a MUCH lower cost per page), but aside from really low-level software (A/V software, Firewalls, etc, all of which have been updated), I haven't seen any software that works in Win7x86 but not in Win7x64.

64-bit Windows requires a little bit more space than 32-bit Windows, but if you're running THAT low on space on your boot drive, you should really either upgrade the drive or offload more onto a secondary HDD. Even a 64GB SSD can comfortably fit Win7 x64 and a large swap file with more than half its space to spare. I don't think an extra couple gigabytes of space (a couple cents worth of HDD space or a few dollars worth of SSD space) constitutes a *compelling* reason.

With 4GB of RAM being pretty much the norm for home PCs (already more than Windows x86 can address), with that number quickly increasing, I think installing a 32-bit copy of Windows Vista/7 is akin to shooting yourself in the foot. If your system is so old that it will suffer from having the 64-bit version installed, it's probably old enough that it'd benefit from keeping WinXP or Linux installed on it, instead of ANY version of Windows Vista/7. Personally, I'm disappointed that MS offered a 32-bit version at all, as I think it'll just further delay the adoption of 64-bit app development.

Lurker1999 said:   I got the same error message of "The purchase limit for this product has been exceeded, no more purchases are allowed. If you would like to purchase a different product, click here." when I click on the 64-bit version. It allows me to add the 32-bit version to the cart however. I previously purchased a copy of Win7 Pro through one of these promotions so I assume this must be why it's giving me that error.

Can a 32 bit key be used for 64 bit Win7? (Edit: Google says yes.)



Yes, Billy G only needed a few bux for the week, so he ended it.

Can we buy these and resell the keys on eBay? Anything not legitimate about that?

good deal for those who got in.

It says upgrade but you can do a full clean install. Any edu email will work as long as you still have access to it as far as I can tell. Slic 2.1 is free but not legit, this is $30 and legit and is very reasonable I bought a copy just to be on the safe side, its practically free. I wouldn't pay extra for a cd set, you can download the ISO from the 3rd party provider and burn the iso and keep that in storage. There are alot of threads online about how to make the iso with the download etc. And stop asking 64 or 32 unless you use old software that requires 32 bit. I play many games and use a lot of software, and switched to 64 bit a while ago no problems, most 32 bit stuff will still run no problems. Just move over, just like when we were holding onto xp, its time to move on.

vodanh said:   Just move over, just like when we were holding onto xp, its time to move on.What's XP? Is that better than DOS 3.1 that I'm running on my IBM XT 8086?

It seems to be working with my australia.edu account. I had set that up months ago and forgot about it. Don't recall if I ever received a confirmation from them, but I just tried to log in at australia.edu and it sent me right to a e-mails setup bage (gmail based). Microsoft approved the address and sent me the link to purchase.

Still debating if it is worth upgrading the W7 Home Premium on my HTPC so I can remote desktop into it. Could I transfer the Home Premium license to my netbook (running W7 Starter)?

I keep getting "Payment Authorization Failed" errors when I try to checkout. Have tried both an AMEX and Visa. Trying to buy one copy of the 64 bit. Is the deal dead, or is something else going on with Digital River authorizations?

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   vodanh said:   Just move over, just like when we were holding onto xp, its time to move on.What's XP? Is that better than DOS 3.1 that I'm running on my IBM XT 8086?


What is dos

Anyone knows when will this deal end?

shinyballs said:   Anyone knows when will this deal end?


These are known to end when those on the fence decide to buy.
Me included.

I have 2 laptops. #1 runs Vista 32 Bit and #2 runs Win 7 32 bits. I m unsure what I am going to do is possible here. I want to swap the OS between the two. Is it legal to do so by a clean installation of Vista on #2 and upgrade to Win 7 Pro 64bit and a clean install Win 7 32bit that licensed on #2 to #1?

Does anyone know where to download a legal ISO for Win 7 32bit Home Premium?

I wonder if this works with High School student's email address, has anyone tried so far?

shinyballs said:   I wonder if this works with High School student's email address, has anyone tried so far?


A student is a student.
Does the high schooler have a .edu eMail addys.


But it was said, offer has ended.

ShadowedBlade said:   Wondering if anyone has tried calling the Microsoft Home Store to order from them?

When they did this promotion last time, Digital River was selling the download version online but if you called Microsoft Home Store you could order over the phone (just saying you wanted the $29.99 Win 7 Professional offer for students) and they sent out full, retail versions of the software (including 32bit and 64 bit discs). Just had to pay, if I remember correctly, $4.95 shipping and they were letting people order 2 or more at a time.

What is the phone # for MS Home Store?

TIA

Its been 4hrs and no email. Is it dead or does it take longer than 4hrs?

I e-mailed my bank after getting multiple "Payment Authorization Failed" errors. They told me there was no attempt made at a charge, so the problem is with Digital River.

E-mailed Digital River and got two responses, with the solution of:

Thank you for your interest in Microsoft - The Ultimate Steal. Per your request, we have reviewed your order. Unfortunately, we cannot complete your order at this time. If you are still interested in purchasing the product(s), please place a new order using a non-credit card payment method.

Of course, there is no non-credit card payment option.

Thanks, not dead as it just went thru for me.

Picked up a copy today. Nice deal. Had a student co-worker log in and then I paid with my card. No problems. Thanks OP.

I just got around to ordering this today, although I got the eligibility email back on the 2nd. Everything went fine.

I purchased the Windows 7 Pro, received the iso file, and created a DVD from the iso file. Where do I obtain the key code?

I examined the DVD but could not find the key code.

I called MS and ordered a disk (1 877 696 7786 option 2 option 2). It was $14.xx more for shipping but it contains both 32 & 64 bit and if I have any problem with the disk loading I'll just contact MS. The agent tried to tell me the best deal was $99 but I told him I was at the page were it was listed for $29.99. After a few mins he found it on his list. Be ready to send an email from your .edu email as he sent me one that never arrived so he asked me to shoot one off to him. It all went rather smoothly and for the extra $14.xx I think I might have avoided a headache in the future. Thanks OP

Daddio1949 said:   I purchased the Windows 7 Pro, received the iso file, and created a DVD from the iso file. Where do I obtain the key code?

I examined the DVD but could not find the key code.


The key is there on the final confirmation screen after you place the order. It's right above the links to download the ISO...

kungfujoe said:   Kralik said:   malmspilot said:   There's no compelling reason to stick with a 32-bit OS anymore, and even if you don't YET have a really compelling reason to go to a 64-bit OS, you may in the near future, before you want to buy another OS.

Low disk space on my SSD drive, only 4GB in my desktop and certain specialty programs/drivers that are not 64-bit compatible are all compelling reasons.

Drivers, yes, but programs shouldn't be an issue. A handful of obsolete pieces of hardware never got 64-bit drivers (I had to replace my printer, which resulted in me getting a much better printer with a MUCH lower cost per page), but aside from really low-level software (A/V software, Firewalls, etc, all of which have been updated), I haven't seen any software that works in Win7x86 but not in Win7x64.

64-bit Windows requires a little bit more space than 32-bit Windows, but if you're running THAT low on space on your boot drive, you should really either upgrade the drive or offload more onto a secondary HDD. Even a 64GB SSD can comfortably fit Win7 x64 and a large swap file with more than half its space to spare. I don't think an extra couple gigabytes of space (a couple cents worth of HDD space or a few dollars worth of SSD space) constitutes a *compelling* reason.

With 4GB of RAM being pretty much the norm for home PCs (already more than Windows x86 can address), with that number quickly increasing, I think installing a 32-bit copy of Windows Vista/7 is akin to shooting yourself in the foot. If your system is so old that it will suffer from having the 64-bit version installed, it's probably old enough that it'd benefit from keeping WinXP or Linux installed on it, instead of ANY version of Windows Vista/7. Personally, I'm disappointed that MS offered a 32-bit version at all, as I think it'll just further delay the adoption of 64-bit app development.


Thanks for the helpful post. I agree with this 100%. I ran the upgrade advisor and had no major problems indicated. But I've been reading that Dell Inspiron 530 Q6600 motherboards, specifically model 0fm586, may not be compatible with 64 bit OS?

wingate20 said:   Thanks for the helpful post. I agree with this 100%. I ran the upgrade advisor and had no major problems indicated. But I've been reading that Dell Inspiron 530 Q6600 motherboards, specifically model 0fm586, may not be compatible with 64 bit OS?
The Q6600 is a 64-bit CPU, so there's no reason at all this should be the case unless Dell has a serious BIOS problem. I did a quick websearch, and I found this post saying that the Inspiron 530 had a BIOS update in 2008 that allows it to access more than 4GB RAM (which is only possible in a 64-bit OS to begin with). So as long as you've updated your BIOS in the last three years (or do so now), you should be fine with Win7 x64.

kungfujoe said:   wingate20 said:   Thanks for the helpful post. I agree with this 100%. I ran the upgrade advisor and had no major problems indicated. But I've been reading that Dell Inspiron 530 Q6600 motherboards, specifically model 0fm586, may not be compatible with 64 bit OS?
The Q6600 is a 64-bit CPU, so there's no reason at all this should be the case unless Dell has a serious BIOS problem. I did a quick websearch, and I found this post saying that the Inspiron 530 had a BIOS update in 2008 that allows it to access more than 4GB RAM (which is only possible in a 64-bit OS to begin with). So as long as you've updated your BIOS in the last three years (or do so now), you should be fine with Win7 x64.


Thanks man. Green for being so helpful.

yesidonoitall said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   vodanh said:   Just move over, just like when we were holding onto xp, its time to move on.What's XP? Is that better than DOS 3.1 that I'm running on my IBM XT 8086?


What is dos

denial of service

Two Versions

Hi Guys

Is this offer still good?

Thanks

JohnnyJT

johnnyjt said:   Hi Guys

Is this offer still good?

Thanks

JohnnyJT


Ya. Just got mine a few hours ago.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014