Member Summary

Life-time warranty?
Thanks templeboy
Disclaimer

Not this one
Thanks MVP9596
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Yep, you could have a bonsai redwood forest and use it for movie sets. I can just envision a chase scene
set sometime i... (more)

conehead433 (May. 02, 2011 @ 1:53p) |

Muir Woods: one place only boring people visit.

Saw it a couple of weeks ago in San Francisco. Would rather spend the da... (more)

Necromancer (May. 02, 2011 @ 2:19p) |

If we are still 'dialing 9-1-1' 75-100 years from now, then it is confirmed that human technology has stalled for good i... (more)

Necromancer (May. 02, 2011 @ 2:22p) |

Everything you need to grow your own Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum).
Grows well in almost any climate. True??
Guaranteed to grow (any issues, just contact manufacturer).
Includes: seeds, growing medium, little stones, a mini-greenhouse, and detailed instructions.
Dimensions: Well, the packaging measures: approx. 5.25" tall, but the tree might grow (eventually) up to 300 feet tall!
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Got these for about $10 when I was visiting Muir Woods.

Another option, may or may not save a few pennies:

http://www.amazon.com/Grow-Your-Own-Giant-Sequoia/dp/1604331437

They had these with the Bargain Books in the local Barnes & Nobel store. I didn't catch the price...but might be worth checking out again if you happen to stumble into one.

I am going to plant a few of these in my mean neigbor's yard

so how long will it take until it hits 300 feet?

I want fruit trees like Guava, Pears, etc.

MasterGoo said:   so how long will it take until it hits 300 feet?

If your 20 now and live to be 80 years old you may see it hit 100 feet... Your great great grandkids may get to see it at 300 feeet or so

"Guaranteed to grow (any issues, just contact manufacturer)."

Do I need to talk to the tree that produced the seed?

SteelRing said:   "Guaranteed to grow (any issues, just contact manufacturer)."

Do I need to talk to the tree that produced the seed?

Hence my smiley face in the Quick Summary. Those guys are funny.

"Guaranteed to grow (any issues, just contact manufacturer)."

If anyone has the phone number for Mother Nature, please send it to me. I've got a few bones to pick with her.

Guaranteed to grow or money back after 10000 years ! Great deal

Wouldn't this be a better buy? $13 (approx) including shipping.

Better than starting with a seed right?

Dispatch: "9-1-1. Is there an emergency?"
"Uhh, er, yes .... my tree fell down in my back yard. It fell on my house .... and my neighbors house across the street ... and his neighbor's house behind him .... and that neighbor's house across the street from him ....."

Setintine said:   Wouldn't this be a better buy? $13 (approx) including shipping.

Good find

NvM!

Setintine said:   Wouldn't this be a better buy? $13 (approx) including shipping.

Mark, 5:9: for we are many. Seeds these are.

"Grows in almost any climate"

Hmm I don't think this tree would survive arizona very well.

Cool find though. Seeing these in person is awesome

Hilarious.

good job~
it says "The picture was taken on 10/13/2010"
which mean we will receive a bigger taller one!

UAIron said:   "Grows in almost any climate"

It should work as long as you water it. Here are a few pictures of Sequoias in Arizona.

DavidRiley said:   Dispatch: "9-1-1. Is there an emergency?"
"Uhh, er, yes .... my tree fell down in my back yard. It fell on my house .... and my neighbors house across the street ... and his neighbor's house behind him .... and that neighbor's house across the street from him ....."

omg, not a very nice thought

caterpillar123 said:   UAIron said:   "Grows in almost any climate"

It should work as long as you water it. Here are a few pictures of Sequoias in Arizona.
any hot deal on water bill?

click to enlarge
Disclaimer

General Sherman
Disclaimer
All you need to know about Giant Sequoia trees:

here

All the ancient trees have been named. General Sherman lives in Sequoia National Park and hes an awesome specimen the undisputed heavyweight champion of the tree world.

General Sherman is the largest single-stemmed tree on Earth: 274.9 feet tall, circumference at the ground is 102.9 feet, diameter at the base is 36.4 feet, 110 feet above the ground his diameter is an astonishing 17.4 feet. The first branch occurs 129.9 feet off the ground or the equivalent of a 12-story building, and its 7.2 feet thick, rising another 127.9 feet into the sky.

The roots occupy 91,500 cubic feet of soil and the trunk holds over 138,000 gallons of soil water.

General Sherman is about 2,400 years old, yet it's the fastest growing tree on the globe, adding the equivalent radial wood of a tree 1.5 feet thick and 62 feet tall each year!

http://www.arborday.org/treeguide/TreeDetail.cfm?id=127

growth rate, climatic zone, and other useful info for Giant Sequoia

karrun said:   Got these for about $10 when I was visiting Muir Woods.

I was just down among the redwoods and every single gift shop had these for between $6-10. Didn't get one but they're neat.

eeeek, i don't think my small farming town would like this, lol

I'm from the redwoods... live in the redwoods.. and it's hard to replicate old growth forrest soil which has appx 10000:1 fungus:bacteria ratio whereas your average anywhere else is around 1:1. It's brimming with microbial life and it's spongy as hell. Also, 30% of the water taken in is through fog, so when you pass about 2000 ft, you won't see much redwood growth. I planted one in the redwood forrest when I was 7 and 23 years later it's about 8' tall- though I didn't care for it or anything and it didn't get any sunlight. I would think that trying to start a sequoia anywhere but here is going to be unsatisfying. Even the ones here are pretty sad compared to the old 1000+ yr old trees sitting 30 feet from my window. Well good luck to ya.

stabmaster said:   I'm from the redwoods... live in the redwoods.. and it's hard to replicate old growth forrest soil which has appx 10000:1 fungus:bacteria ratio whereas your average anywhere else is around 1:1. It's brimming with microbial life and it's spongy as hell. Also, 30% of the water taken in is through fog, so when you pass about 2000 ft, you won't see much redwood growth.

You forgot to add the SMOG from that side of the country that helps it grow...

I was hoping I could grow my own something else...

Let me ask my HOA, I'll get back with you.

so, will this tree grow in brooklyn?

Brico said:   MasterGoo said:   so how long will it take until it hits 300 feet?

If your 20 now and live to be 80 years old you may see it hit 100 feet... Your great great grandkids may get to see it at 300 feeet or so

WOW! Pretty impressive!

Very cool site. I'm thinking of getting a Dawn Redwood. It'd be cool to grow a tree that was previously thought to be extinct.

Thx OP for starting this thread.

I have a 80+' one of these in my yard and it is less than 75 years old. Neat tree, but very freakish in size and extreme growth rate. The trunk is about 9' in diameter at the base. It's a beautiful pyramidal shape and very unlike the abundant Douglas Firs around here. People comment on it all the time and think it's an ancient original old growth survivor. You need a TON of room for this tree (which I don't particularly have) as its base spread of branches must be 50'. Don't let its cute size in the packaging fool you - this thing is a trojan horse and will overrun you and your neighbors within your lifetime, guaranteed. It's a messy buggar too and drops tons of dead, jagged brown 'needles' that can be as much as a foot long as well as hundreds of small heavy green 'pinecones.' I installed mesh gutter guards, but they get clogged by the jagged droppings and are difficult to untangle. Also, its roots will travel a very, very long way searching for water. I had a big pile of dirt near the tree for a couple of years and it grew roots right up into the pile making it a challenge to move. Expect a 2-3' deep pile of decomposing needle droppings around the base of the tree despite periodic rakings. These needles will get into your car's engine bay via the windshield gap and even find their way into your air filter housing.

Anyway, it's an extremely interesting prehistoric tree if you read up on it. I do enjoy looking at it and it has an impressive presence, especially in a windstorm. A forester neighbor told me my tree will drink 1000 gallons of water a day in the summer and is still considered a sapling despite its 80' size. BTW, it will cost $2,000 to cut the damn thing down if/when the time comes. I keep waiting my annoyed neighbor with the buckled sidewalk (due to roots) to break down and offer to pay its removal. Owls and racoons love this tree for some reason, but bald eagles won't go near it probably due to the razor sharp foliage.

Hope this helps somebody considering planting a 'cute' little tree.

floatinginseattle said:   .... BTW, it will cost $2,000 to cut the damn thing down if/when the time comes....

you could turn it into a large deck with a pergola --- have you considered getting an estimate on the complete transformation?

I know Sequoia's are mainly in the Sierra Nevada. Anyone know the maximum winds these things usually get. Wondering if they hold up well to hurricane force. The climate in MA is somewhat similar in temperature and snowfall to those mountains.

These are different than the Redwoods which grow in a more marine climate.

Guaranteed to grow...if you have the yard space and proper climate. Won't grow in Montana, but I don't have the yard for it either.

hard winters will kill this tree

How can there be more than one World's Largest Tree? If I grow one and you grow one, whose is the World's Largest?

Skipping 14 Messages...
DavidRiley said:   Dispatch: "9-1-1. Is there an emergency?"

If we are still 'dialing 9-1-1' 75-100 years from now, then it is confirmed that human technology has stalled for good in the early 21st century.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014