• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Nice and slender landscape lights at Dollar Tree for $1.00 each. Cheapest price I've seen. They look just like the one that are going for $3.00 to $4.00 each everywhere else.

Member Summary

pic
Thanks scoobiedoobie
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Burning bright for the last 40 days!

slotcar58 (Jun. 06, 2011 @ 7:21p) |

does it burn at night also?

YankeeRedneck (Jun. 06, 2011 @ 7:40p) |

Correction: Burning bright at night the last forty 24 hour periods.

slotcar58 (Jun. 06, 2011 @ 7:50p) |

Big thumbs up for the tips -- esp to stratfordq5 -- on replacing the batteries/bulbs, should these wear out and/or I just wanna play with one of them one day, see if different batteries and/or bulbs changes them significantly.

Just took one apart and it does in fact have a Ni-Cd 200mAh 1.2V battery, manufactured in (drum roll) China, by the ZHONG YUE electronic co LTD on 07 15 2010. The battery had plenty of juice in it, too, just pulled the bitty scrap of plastic/paper that keeps it from discharging in shipping and it's plenty bright.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Slotcar-- Have you set them out yet? How do they look? I saw them at my local, but wondered how bright they are.

marysm said:   Slotcar-- Have you set them out yet? How do they look? I saw them at my local, but wondered how bright they are.

Yea, I'm wondering the same

I have paid $80 each for solar lights and still ended up taking them back...they havent got it right yet....but for a buck...jeeze, i'd spend $10 and risk it

Bigbarry said:   I have paid $80 each for solar lights and still ended up taking them back...they havent got it right yet....but for a buck...jeeze, i'd spend $10 and risk it

You are right, this is a no brainer.

OP Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

They show them online but you have to buy a 48 pack for $48. Solar Lights

Out of stock in my area. No idea if that means they don't have them local either. Great reviews though.

you will need one every 4"

Hmmm .. gonna have to check this out.

I bought 24 of these at my local Kmart about a month or two ago for $1.75 each and they seem to look just like the photo online.

Haven't put them out yet ... if my Dollar Tree has them and they are identical, may have to consider returning and repurchasing!

We have a couple of these in our front yard. They're by no means a light source, but they're okay if all you want is a little accent lighting, for example to mark a walkway.

Great deal, I'm gonna swing by tomorrow AM and see if they are in stock in local store.

As far as using these things for light? No way; they're to mark paths/driveways and/or for accents. My sweetie has a hard time seeing at night, gonna put these alongside her walkway in her backyard.

Thanx for the heads-up, OP.

Big green.

I've got a number of these and have been using them since about this time last year. They are still going strong even after a long winter outside, a little surprised that didn't kill them. They have a smaller solar cell and just use a single triple AAA battery in them, but mine still give out what looks close to full output all the way to dawn. Obviously they aren't as bright as some of these lights, but they're enough to show a step, etc. with night adjusted eyes. pic

Most of these use a rechargeable AA or AAA. Go to your local Hobby store that specializes in Remote Control Vehicles. They always carry a very wide assortment of VERY powerful (and/or long lasting) batteries. You will be shocked what a difference it can make. Also, if you are really bored, go on eBay and buy an upgraded LED light and replace the weaker bulbs. You can usually get 100 bulbs for $2.00. Takes and hour to swap them out but if you are looking for something to do...

Economical way to improve the night landscape of your home.

gipson said:   Economical way to improve the night landscape of your home.IMO, unless you're using wired incandescents, it does anything but improve the look; I think it cheapens the house. I don't mean to thread crap, as I'd really like for these to look good. Hopefully they keep improving the technology.

I like them, I placed 12 around my pool enclosure. They are not as bright as wired, but sufficient for my use.

It's accent lighting people! NOT reading lights, if you need to read outside at night you have a huge problem. If you need security lighting the BUY A SECURITY LIGHT! GREAT DEAL for $1 ea.
Thanks and GREEN for OP!

offdwall said:   Most of these use a rechargeable AA or AAA. Go to your local Hobby store that specializes in Remote Control Vehicles. They always carry a very wide assortment of VERY powerful (and/or long lasting) batteries. You will be shocked what a difference it can make. Also, if you are really bored, go on eBay and buy an upgraded LED light and replace the weaker bulbs. You can usually get 100 bulbs for $2.00. Takes and hour to swap them out but if you are looking for something to do...

LOL. Changing to a "VERY powerful" AA or AAA battery may make it burn longer, but in no way will it make it burn brighter. Same output from AA or AAA battery no matter the brand.

Target and Walgreens has this light for $2/each. Let go to Target and Walgreens ask for PM.

By the time we turn off the outside lights for the night, the solar-powered ones are already out anyway.

I have purchased these from the cheapest to the most expensive and none are reliable or last long. So, for $1 a piece I think it's a no-brainer. They are so versatile and make things look decent at night (also safer for walking). Hope my local store has them. Thanks OP.

scoobiedoobie said:   I've got a number of these and have been using them since about this time last year. They are still going strong even after a long winter outside, a little surprised that didn't kill them. They have a smaller solar cell and just use a single triple AAA battery in them, but mine still give out what looks close to full output all the way to dawn. Obviously they aren't as bright as some of these lights, but they're enough to show a step, etc. with night adjusted eyes.[/L]

So that would be a AAAAAAAAA battery then? LOL.

LOL? Really?!!!

The batteries usually included in these are made with the cheapest materials and have started to die by the time they reach the end-user. They can't even accept a full charge, not to mention store it. Replacing them with one that has better technology (ie...NiMH through lithium polymer), is more efficient, and handles the hot and cold cycles (of recharging or the environment) better will put out a much brighter light. Try it and then tell me it doesn't work.

I've been at Dollar Tree and saw the solar lights there. The construction quality is extremely poor. For instance, the led light ( which has 15 degree angle ), is expected to point to a reflector. However, the LED is not mounted to any solid surface, rather than to two, hand cut, wires. I've examined almost the entire pack (48), and could not find a single solar light where the led light is placed right.

I haven't examined the battery, but I really doubt whether it's a rechargeable battery. ( and if not, what's the point of have solar panel ? they could have used the much cheaper photocell )

I bought one light like that 1 year ago for test and it is still working OK. Quality is OK.

Regarding batteries. While NiMH batteries have much more capacity then NiCd. NiCd batteries are better suited to work in applications like solar light - fulll charge then full discharge.

Quote: 've been at Dollar Tree and saw the solar lights there. The construction quality is extremely poor. For instance, the led light ( which has 15 degree angle ), is expected to point to a reflector. However, the LED is not mounted to any solid surface, rather than to two, hand cut, wires. I've examined almost the entire pack (48), and could not find a single solar light where the led light is placed right.

I haven't examined the battery, but I really doubt whether it's a rechargeable battery. ( and if not, what's the point of have solar panel ? they could have used the much cheaper photocell )

These are $1.00 items we are talking about!

Alex315 said:   Regarding batteries. While NiMH batteries have much more capacity then NiCd. NiCd batteries are better suited to work in applications like solar light - fulll charge then full discharge.

This is definitely correct. While typically think of NiCd cells as always inferior to NiMH or LiIon, several of its operating characteristics are actually better suited for solar applications like this:

-efficient (in fact, preferable) to charge at low current (like that provided from a solar cell)
-tolerant of frequent charge/discharge cycles (read: daily)
-tolerates (in fact, prefers) deep discharge cycles (typical in solar applications, especially in the winter)
-discharge profile allows cell to deliver full capacity rating when used at very low discharge currents
-lower energy density compared to other battery types is usually irrelevant, since charge capacity is usually limited more by the solar panel and the lighting conditions on a given day.

offdwall said:   LOL? Really?!!!

The batteries usually included in these are made with the cheapest materials and have started to die by the time they reach the end-user. They can't even accept a full charge, not to mention store it. Replacing them with one that has better technology (ie...NiMH through lithium polymer), is more efficient, and handles the hot and cold cycles (of recharging or the environment) better will put out a much brighter light. Try it and then tell me it doesn't work.

See my above post. While NiCd may be cheap, they're actually better for this application too. "Better" is a relative term with batteries, and always depends on the application. Common consumer product applications tend to favor NiMH and LiIon/polymer, so people tend to consider them as universally "better". This is one of those applications where common perception doesn't apply. NiCd will not start to die while reaching the end-user, that's something that happens with LiIon/Polymer batteries. NiCd, with its lower internal resistance, will also actually accept a charge more easily than the other two types at the low current put out by small solar panels.

Some other comparisons:

NiMH
-NiMH handles hot/cold fluctuations comparable to NiCd
-higher current needed to effectively accept charge will mean much of the power from the solar panel goes to waste
-NiMH doesn't handle deep discharges as well, and will suffer over a number of charge cycles
-NiMH won't really put out any brighter light (same voltage, similar discharge profile, solar charging likely won't fill the extra charge capacity NiMH provides anyway, etc.)

LiIon/Polymer
-Hot/Cold cycles and other outdoor conditions will wreck this battery compared to NiCd
-deep discharge cycles will really wreck this battery
-higher voltage won't really make a difference with LED like it would with incandescent in a comparable application, and also means it needs a higher output solar panel to be able to charge.
-LiIon/Polymer needs to be charged differently than NiCd and NiMH, so can't just be used as a plug in replacement for either without a charge controller.

No argue about the deal. Just keep in mind that these solar light are not comparable to the ones that are sold at WalMart for 4 bucks.

I bought a few of them today, just to see if they are worth a dime or what. Got in about six pm, put one in western exposure light for just over two hours, it's charged nicely in that small time, throws it's nice, bitty light. I'll update this tomorrow, let you all know how long the light from two hour charge lasted, probably update next day, too, after in light all day, see how long it stays on after being charged all day tomorrow.

So far, so good.

And big thumbs up for the tips -- esp to stratfordq5 re batteries -- on replacing the batteries/bulbs, should these wear out and/or I just wanna play with one of them one day, see if it changes it significantly.

EDIT: Took one apart last night and it does in fact have a AAA Ni-Cd 200mAh 1.2V battery, manufactured in (drum roll) China, by the ZHONG YUE electronic co LTD on 07 15 2010. The battery had plenty of juice in it, too, just pulled the bitty scrap of plastic/paper that keeps it from discharging in shipping and it's bright. Four of them lasted all night EASY, will see how they do tonight after charging in sun all day today...

stratfordq5 said:   Alex315 said:   Regarding batteries. While NiMH batteries have much more capacity then NiCd. NiCd batteries are better suited to work in applications like solar light - fulll charge then full discharge.

This is definitely correct. While typically think of NiCd cells as always inferior to NiMH or LiIon, several of its operating characteristics are actually better suited for solar applications like this:

-efficient (in fact, preferable) to charge at low current (like that provided from a solar cell)
-tolerant of frequent charge/discharge cycles (read: daily)
-tolerates (in fact, prefers) deep discharge cycles (typical in solar applications, especially in the winter)
-discharge profile allows cell to deliver full capacity rating when used at very low discharge currents
-lower energy density compared to other battery types is usually irrelevant, since charge capacity is usually limited more by the solar panel and the lighting conditions on a given day.

Not to mention 9 times out 10 you can't replace these NiCd batteries with NiMH because the chargers in these cheapass units won't even charge NiMH.

THANK you slotcar58. I made a special trip out and I grabbed the last 8. The clerk said they got two shipments in and that was the last of them. Made me feel good.
I also got two gasoline funnels, with screens in them, for a buck a piece. I've been looking everywhere for funnels with a screen in them--- and for a buck!

I like the lights where you can snap the battery cover off without using a screwdriver. It makes it so much easier to take the batteries out at the end of the season and throw them in a box until next spring.

Why do replacement batteries cost like $1.50 a piece?

I bought 5 of these (look exactly the same) at WalMart for $1 each. This seems to be the regular price because three weeks later they were still $1

Do not expect SMD type output from these very low output LEDs. They are enough to cast a glow maybe in a 3' diameter....thats about it.

I wouldnt use them in the front yard because, as was mentioned previously, their lack of output makes them look cheap. I just use them to cast some light on my very dark back yard.

I saw solar lights for $1 at Menards recently also.... FWIW...

Ahhk said:   I bought 5 of these (look exactly the same) at WalMart for $1 each. This seems to be the regular price because three weeks later they were still $1

Do not expect SMD type output from these very low output LEDs. They are enough to cast a glow maybe in a 3' diameter....thats about it.

I wouldnt use them in the front yard because, as was mentioned previously, their lack of output makes them look cheap. I just use them to cast some light on my very dark back yard.

my local Dollar Tree doesn't have any. where in WalMart did you find them? thnx

I just bought 4 yesterday, these are lousy LED lights, don't waste your money. If you want a little bit better, go to Costco B&M and they have 10 lights for $30 ($40 minus $10 instant rebate), I bought a box last week and they are okay, these are made for Costco only.
Also, I've bought these at WalMart.com for $24 (B&M price is $30), they are very good, bright and lid up all night long: Sterling Solar Light Set

offdwall said:   LOL? Really?!!!

Are you sure these can be replace with NIMH battery? The charge circuit may be different.

actionjbone said:   We have a couple of these in our front yard. They're by no means a light source, but they're okay if all you want is a little accent lighting, for example to mark a walkway.

That is true. With only 1 LED bulb inside, it will only light up to 3 inches in diameter. I pass.

I bought 18 of this and gave it as a house warming gift and they are love it.

Bought 5, then I realize that it's not enough for a long drive way.

Skipping 18 Messages...
Correction: Burning bright at night the last forty 24 hour periods.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014