• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Think Grandpa Simpson.

One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt. Which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

LOL .. you truly are a "senior" member!

Cheap does not equal to good deal...

captainkirk said:   no media with this..does it at least create a set of re-install disks? Or can we get them cheap from HP? or can we get a plain xp pro install media somewhere cheap? I have xp non-pro disks already, but I want to make sure I can re-install xp on this baby...

you can get restore disks from HP for $10 OR download a copy of the OEM version of windows from bit tiorrent or something and use the key on it's COA

overclock said:   My kids' P4 1.6GHz barely runs Webkinz. Flash games require so much CPU nowadays. So I got them an i5-2300 quad core. I should be set for quite some time now. But this system should be good for a couple more years.

You should figure out why that is... my kids are using a P4-2Ghz with XP which does fine.

Perhaps you have a virus, or maybe it just hasn't been maintained. Try reloading the operating system, turning off indexing, and you should find that machine OK.

However, personally, I would not buy the PC in this post... I would invest a few extra dollars and get an i3.

Regards
SteveG

sgogo said:   overclock said:   My kids' P4 1.6GHz barely runs Webkinz. Flash games require so much CPU nowadays. So I got them an i5-2300 quad core. I should be set for quite some time now. But this system should be good for a couple more years.

You should figure out why that is... my kids are using a P4-2Ghz with XP which does fine.

Perhaps you have a virus, or maybe it just hasn't been maintained. Try reloading the operating system, turning off indexing, and you should find that machine OK.

However, personally, I would not buy the PC in this post... I would invest a few extra dollars and get an i3.

Regards
SteveG

Got a link for a comparable i3 for a few extra dollars?

captainkirk said:   sgogo said:   overclock said:   My kids' P4 1.6GHz barely runs Webkinz...

... I would invest a few extra dollars and get an i3.

Regards
SteveG

Got a link for a comparable i3 for a few extra dollars?

No, but I would suggest looking at the refurb section of Dell.com or Lenovo.com. They come and go on there from $300 to $500. Sometimes even less with coupons.

Also, set up a deal alert here at fatwallet... they show up on a regular basis but you have to watch for them. If an i3 is too expensive, a higher level dual core (T7500 or something) is also OK

Good Luck!
SteveG

Ps - Here are a few deals... First one is still active:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1099533/

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1097116/

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1083758/

http://www.fatwallet.com/best-desktop-deals/dell-vostro-230-slim-tower-desktop-18-5-lcd-monitor-bundle/

oh, I see the problem..you think 2X to 3X is a "few extra dollars". I have no problem finding faster processor desktops for 2X the cost, but I don't think most people consider 2X (or more) to be "a few extra dollars".

I will use this to type my manifesto... btw if you are getting this then you know the world didn't end and i just racked 47K in credit card debt over the weekend and probally going to prison

FREE SHIPPING in for 1 paid the 19.99 for 1 year warranty hopefully AMEX will dbl, hope to use as a DVR backup added $750 HD, too lazy to put one in all in all seems like a solid deal for a great OS, which alone is like $90 basically the price of a bad call in a no limit game...

thanks OP

captainkirk said:   oh, I see the problem..you think 2X to 3X is a "few extra dollars". I have no problem finding faster processor desktops for 2X the cost, but I don't think most people consider 2X (or more) to be "a few extra dollars".

2X to 3X is not relavent at this price range. When it costs $55 to fill my gas tank once, I think $150-$250 for something that should last 2-4 years is a "few extra dollars".

I stand by my reccommendation, since the first cost of the computer is only part of the investment... after you buy it you need to install (and pay for) many programs... this ends up costing more than the computer in the long run. Also the items I reccommended are not off lease, so I think they have a better warranty and are more likely to last, and have better specs.

SteveG

sgogo said:   captainkirk said:   oh, I see the problem..you think 2X to 3X is a "few extra dollars". I have no problem finding faster processor desktops for 2X the cost, but I don't think most people consider 2X (or more) to be "a few extra dollars".

2X to 3X is not relavent at this price range. When it costs $55 to fill my gas tank once, I think $150-$250 for something that should last 2-4 years is a "few extra dollars".

I stand by my reccommendation, since the first cost of the computer is only part of the investment... after you buy it you need to install (and pay for) many programs... this ends up costing more than the computer in the long run. Also the items I reccommended are not off lease, so I think they have a better warranty and are more likely to last, and have better specs.

SteveG

Whether an i3 at 300 to 500 is better than this at $150 isn't the question, since there are a lot of considerations, like what software you run (old software - an XP is actually better, runs more of them easily than a faster I3 with win7 or vista!). I'm just pointing out that, to MOST people, something that is 2X or 3X is NOT a "few extra dollars". And you must have a lot of money if YOU think that $150 to $350 is only a FEW extra dollars. And thanks for bringing up gas - since gas is soaking up more of our income, in fact, $150 is a LOT MORE than it might have been before. And hey, since it costs over $100,000 to buy a house, compared to THAT, a couple thousand is just "a few extra dollars".

LOL at someone at fallwallet (where we pinch every penny, let along hundreds of dollars!) calling $150 - $350 a "few extra dollars". You must really be a noob or rich or something. Maybe you should start up "thin wallet" where people can pay "a few extra dollars" all the time.

Tiger direct runs deals all the time to build your own PC and for $200 the components are much more current (4gb ram, newer AMD processor, boards, etc). The only issue is software which I am sure that this site has no real "legal" XP licenses.

Edit: and have you looked at the price to upgrade DDR2 ram? It's cost prohibitive. 80GB hard drive is pretty tiny, even at rock bottom you are spending about $40 on a new 320-500GB drive. By the time you do the required upgrade you might as well have build yourself.

As always, if you have the OS and/or spare parts, and have the expertise, or enjoy it, building your own system makes a lot of sense.

If you just want a low cost pre-built machine to do low-end tasks (type documents) this will work for people. Out of the universe of people in the world, I'd wager to say that 95%+ want to have nothing to do with building their own system, and the issues that concerns (warranty? if it doesn't work when first built, how to fix, etc).

eBay has 2GB DDR2 memory for $20 if you do feel the need to add more ram, but for many people wanting this kind of machine, 1GB is sufficient. The one thing that seems hideously slow to me is the video (as expected in a business machine), I'd slap a $30 upgrade in if you wanted faster performance.

for example, this card from Newegg is $15 AR and has 6X the video performance, which at least makes it usable for more purposes than the onboard graphics newegg geforce 210

captainkirk said:   sgogo said:   captainkirk said:   oh, I see the problem..you think 2X to 3X is a "few extra dollars". I have no problem finding faster processor desktops for 2X the cost, but I don't think most people consider 2X (or more) to be "a few extra dollars".

SteveG

Whether an i3 at 300 to 500 is better than this at $150 isn't the question, since there are a lot of considerations, like what software you run (old software - an XP is actually better, runs more of them easily than a faster I3 with win7 or vista!). I'm just pointing out that, to MOST people, something that is 2X or 3X is NOT a "few extra dollars". And you must have a lot of money if YOU think that $150 to $350 is only a FEW extra dollars. And thanks for bringing up gas - since gas is soaking up more of our income, in fact, $150 is a LOT MORE than it might have been before. And hey, since it costs over $100,000 to buy a house, compared to THAT, a couple thousand is just "a few extra dollars".

LOL at someone at fallwallet (where we pinch every penny, let along hundreds of dollars!) calling $150 - $350 a "few extra dollars". You must really be a noob or rich or something. Maybe you should start up "thin wallet" where people can pay "a few extra dollars" all the time.

I think the real captain kirk would be less argumentative or rude... but maybe thats why you are here.

I understand this is a good deal for YOU and you want to defend your purchase decision... I am just pointing out to others that maybe its not the best deal for them.

It's got a small hard drive, an older (albeit good) operating system, low RAM, older processor, limited warranty, and it is off-lease, meaning it may not have been taken care of well. The dvd-r laser may have burned thousands of disks and have 31 days left in it. The small hard drive may have been caked with dust until they cleaned it before shipping it out. 30 days is not long enough to check the computer out completely, so you wont be sure all of your pci/pci express slots work until its too late. It may have been left running 24 hours per day so the power supply is close to it's end of life. etc.

If YOU need to "pinch every penny" then buy it.

I treat this site like a sounding board for good values...not just buying the cheapest piece of garbage available. I like to let people know limitations on a deal if I see them. To me (obviously not you) its a good deal, but with limitations. People should know them.

SteveG

PS - And you really should think about how you are "LOL" at someone who is more successful than you. I am truly sorry that you cannot afford a house (even one for $100k), or gas, or a few hundred dollars over 4 years for a new computer... but thats no reason to be rude to someone trying to help you.

captainkirk said:   As always, if you have the OS and/or spare parts, and have the expertise, or enjoy it, building your own system makes a lot of sense.

If you just want a low cost pre-built machine to do low-end tasks (type documents) this will work for people. Out of the universe of people in the world, I'd wager to say that 95%+ want to have nothing to do with building their own system, and the issues that concerns (warranty? if it doesn't work when first built, how to fix, etc).

eBay has 2GB DDR2 memory for $20 if you do feel the need to add more ram, but for many people wanting this kind of machine, 1GB is sufficient. The one thing that seems hideously slow to me is the video (as expected in a business machine), I'd slap a $30 upgrade in if you wanted faster performance.

for example, this card from Newegg is $15 AR and has 6X the video performance, which at least makes it usable for more purposes than the onboard graphics newegg geforce 210

So the 95%+ of people will buy some memory and a video card over the internet with no technical consultation, install it, update drivers etc. and add $45...

That should go on my new site... ThinWallet!

SteveG

lol, I see i've hit a nerve.

I'm curious to know how you know how successful I am? Oh, that's right, you don't, you're just desperately making up nonsense to attack me because you've gotten an internet boo boo. How pathetic!

LOL.

And an EXTRA "LOL" at your pathetic need to give my posts a red just because your ego has been wounded. Even more pathetic.

I guess you can feel good about all the people showing up to tell you how they, too, think "a few extra dollars" is hundreds. Oh, that's right, they aren't. In fact, looking at the independent people who have rated our posts, you've gotten reds from them, and I've gotten greens. Hmmm..wonder which one of us is right?

And to avoid a flame war, that's all I have to say on this topic. You can even give me a red on this post too, if your ego demands it.

captainkirk said:   lol, ...I'm curious to know how you know how successful I am? Oh, that's right, you don't, you're just desperately making up nonsense to attack me because you've gotten an internet boo boo. How pathetic!

LOL.

Well, I am not making up the fact that you think a $100k house is expensive and are excited about a $149 off lease computer...

Anyway, enjoy your purchase.

SteveG

PS - I think you define pathetic... It's a shame fatwallet forums have people like you who are rude and closed minded.

PPS - I am done answering your posts... Goodbye!

This probably wouldn't be bad for dicking around with ESXi

bd said:   How does that HP compare to this off-lease Dell, which Dell Outlet sells regularly on eBay? Those are typically going for about $135 shipped.

Be careful, I think those Dells have Core Solo CPUs (I know the listings say Core 2, but I don't think they are correct).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014