• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
OnStar has dramatically lowered prices for handsfree calling from an OnStar-equipped vehicle. Old pricing ranged from $40 for 100 minutes to $300 for 1000 minutes (all valid for a year), but they now offer UNLIMITED calling for $10/month, or 100 minutes/month for $5/month (with no contract or roaming or overage fees).

OnStar monthly calling plans

Google Voice makes this especially useful (particularly for Spr1nt customers who can use their Sprint number as their Google Voice number) to ring both a mobile phone and an OnStar phone simultaneously, along with providing a consolidated voicemail account.

OnStar runs primarily on the Verizon Wireless network, though OnStar calling often works where handheld cellphones do not, presumably due to fewer restrictions on antenna design. OnStar and VZW used to offer an option where for $10/month an OnStar phone could be used as an add-a-phone for a VZW plan, but they discontinued that in 2009. However this new plan is far superior, because not only is it available to customers other than VZW subscribers, but the minutes don't come out of your VZW package minutes.

Member Summary

Onstar Logo & Contest (36.01kB)
Thanks MisterGadget
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I called this week to renew my annual on-star service for the "i am going to drop my service" pricing. And I was offered... (more)

ellisd (Aug. 07, 2011 @ 7:57p) |

This would be great if I lived in my car.

WishingOnAStar (Aug. 07, 2011 @ 8:39p) |

In case someone doesn't know, the Onstar minutes are good in Canada. So if you ever travel to Canada, you can use Onsta... (more)

lxc1227 (Aug. 07, 2011 @ 9:25p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:

Does this offer all the "features" of onstar or just the phone part?

edit: This actually makes me a little nervous. Your link is to "onstarmonthlycallingplans.com" To me this seems like a scam site looking for your info. Onstar.com does not have any info on this that I can see? I think if it was a legit site (still could be) it would give more info, have links to onstar.com, tell you what this actually includes, etc.

Brew

Doing a little research (on SD) it appears legitimate, but you must have a regular OnStar subscription to be able to "add" this to your existing plan?

Brew

Wait, I'm confused. So you can get unlimited calling via OnStar for $10/month?! If this is true, this is over-the-top smoking hot, so I must be missing something.

orthros said:   Wait, I'm confused. So you can get unlimited calling via OnStar for $10/month?! If this is true, this is over-the-top smoking hot, so I must be missing something.

http://f.email.onstar.com/i/32/322163447/faq-free-calling-monthl...

What is required to enroll in the Hands-Free Calling Monthly Plan?

In order to enroll in the Hands-Free Calling Monthly Plan, you must have an OnStar-equipped vehicle that is Hands-Free Calling enabled, an active OnStar subscription, and a valid credit card on file.

Hm. Well, a little less hot, but for those people who have an OnStar subscription, this is like getting a separate phone line with a separate phone number for $10 a month. It also would allow them to downgrade cell phone plans, especially if they drive around a fair bit or even just commute in their cars.

very hot find and verified on sd as legit.

Does this work, if I add OnStar to a non GM car ?
( Kit - rearview mirror ) OnStar FMV

Available at Best Buy and other local retailers. Summer 2011.

Be aware that hands-free calling requires an OnStar subscription which costs $199/yr

ssstamper said:   Does this work, if I add OnStar to a non GM car ?

No reason why it wouldn't, the mirror will support handsfree calling.

OnStar For My Vehicle

critter017 said:   Be aware that hands-free calling requires an OnStar subscription which costs $199/yr

Thread for OnStar subscription discounts -- <$150 for 14 months

Thanks OP!!

I am an Onstar subscriber and just go in on the unlimited minutes for $10/month ($11.44 with tax) Will make wifey happy.

I called 1-877-859-7735 to verify this ad was legit. I am a subscriber but do not have hands free since i dropped it because of the cost. she told me my vehicle and knew the credit card I had on file. this is a great price so i got the unlimited calling for $10.00 a month charged to my account monthly. I am going to have to get take my other vehicle to a dealer to see if i can get my auto upgraded from analog to digital and then think about getting on star. Thanks for info OP.

has anyone got an onstar module out of a junk yard and been able to activate it?

germanpope said:   has anyone got an onstar module out of a junk yard and been able to activate it?
I'm not sure what you mean, do you mean for a car that's not equipped with OnStar to begin with? Because unlike the OnStar FMV rearview mirror that has self-contained control module, phone, GPS, antennas, and accelerometers (for crash notification), a built-in OnStar system is comprised of all of those parts interspersed through the vehicle, so the chance of retrofit would be unlikely. The self-contained mirror is actually a pretty clever piece of engineering, though it doesn't look like they've set an official release date.

If I could get this deal with a new OnStar FMV. I'd strongly consider. But $300 for device & $75-$100 for official install is steep.

esoterica said:   ssstamper said:   Does this work, if I add OnStar to a non GM car ?

OnStar For My Vehicle

That mirror could replace my cell phone for only $10 a month!! Any reason why you couldn't detach the mirror from the windshield and carry it around with you when you aren't in the car?

dishdude said:    Any reason why you couldn't detach the mirror from the windshield and carry it around with you when you aren't in the car?

you're a little odd..

dishdude said:   esoterica said:   ssstamper said:   Does this work, if I add OnStar to a non GM car ?

OnStar For My Vehicle

That mirror could replace my cell phone for only $10 a month!! Any reason why you couldn't detach the mirror from the windshield and carry it around with you when you aren't in the car?

Off the top of my head, it requires power and it's only a speakerphone... though I guess if you fell it would also work as a LifeAlert

esoterica said:   germanpope said:   has anyone got an onstar module out of a junk yard and been able to activate it?
I'm not sure what you mean, do you mean for a car that's not equipped with OnStar to begin with? Because unlike the OnStar FMV rearview mirror that has self-contained control module, phone, GPS, antennas, and accelerometers (for crash notification), a built-in OnStar system is comprised of all of those parts interspersed through the vehicle, so the chance of retrofit would be unlikely. The self-contained mirror is actually a pretty clever piece of engineering, though it doesn't look like they've set an official release date.

thanks for the explanation ... yes I was wonderong if onstar could be added by salvaging parts

dishdude said:    ...Any reason why you couldn't detach the mirror from the windshield and carry it around with you when you aren't in the car? why not ?
I carry my Car Door around with me..
On hot days, I roll down the window

Wow - very good deal. onStar protection @ 150 + 120 for extra unlimited phone line. Use Google Voice to take your cell phone, nerf your plan, and save a bundle...

Has everyone received the $5 for 100 minutes or $10 for unlimited minutes pricing? I just called and was told $7.99 for 100 and $14.99 for unlimited minutes. Still a good deal but definitely a bit more.

8-8-11 Update. I called and inquired again about the price and was told the same higher prices. I questioned why I had confirmed people received the lower prices and they said they offered that when they initially started this program. I asked to be notified if they had any future promotions and they offered to give me the $5/$10 pricing since I knew of the promotion. Never hurts to ask!

I called this week to renew my annual on-star service for the "i am going to drop my service" pricing. And I was offered the $10 unlimited calls pricing. I didn't want it though.

This would be great if I lived in my car.

In case someone doesn't know, the Onstar minutes are good in Canada. So if you ever travel to Canada, you can use Onstar without any roaming fees.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014