info 4 (604.06kB)
Disclaimer

info 5 (804.24kB)
Disclaimer

info 6 (569.58kB)
Disclaimer

info 7 (698.46kB)
Disclaimer
Item # 572852 Be prepared for weather related power outages.
$2499 - $250 instant rebate,$2249 total good through 6-20-2011. Installation cost is around $1000 depending on your area and codes.

Honeywell 12,000 watt natural gas standby generator, manufactured by Generac and features a 992 cc Generac OHVI V-twin engine along with The Honeywell Sync® transfer switch which uses advanced load shedding technology to create an efficient system that accommodates a range of coverage requirements. Manage two air conditioners right out of the box without adding additional components or cost.
A Honeywell automatic standby generator seamlessly
backs up the circuits you choose during a power outage.
It automatically starts within seconds of detecting power
loss, and runs on the home’s existing natural gas or LP
fuel supply. Choose a backup option from essential circuit,
managed whole-house or complete whole-house coverage.
FEATURES
Remote monitoring included:
Remote monitoring is standard on 10-45 kW residential
Honeywell automatic backup generators. Observe
generator status, set operation parameters and receive
maintenance information—all from the comfort of
your home.
Superior reliability with the OHVI® engine:
Count on years of reliable performance from the Generac
OHVI® engine. It’s the only engine designed specifically for
generator use, with a life span three to four times longer
than most competitive engines, and a 2 year/200 hour
maintenance interval.
Quiet Operation:
One of the quietest units available. Foam panels reduce
noise levels, and the patented weekly WhisperCheck™
self-test mode is even quieter than normal operation.
Premium Features included:
Standard aluminum enclosure with RhinoCoat™ finish
provides superior corrosion resistance, a necessity
especially in coastal regions. Also includes base fascia,
composite mounting pad, GFCI outlet and 5 year
limited warranty and external status indicator lights.
Transfer Switch Options:
Complete the generator system with a Honeywell Sync
Transfer Switch™. Utilizing digital load management,
it allows for coverage of two air conditioners without
additional components.
Honeywell info
Same Generac System @ BJs

Member Summary

Honeywell (51.42kB)
Thanks MVP9596
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
First you need to have a meter sized appropriate to your usage. This generator can theoretically tap out 220 cubic feet... (more)

FrankRizzo (May. 23, 2012 @ 11:48a) |

FYI - The rebate is back again and expires June 3rd (2012). I saw it in store yesterday. The rebate is instant and tak... (more)

CareerChanger (May. 28, 2012 @ 6:18p) |

Darn - I must have just missed this. I didn't see this on their monthly coupon book. IT's back to $2499 in Chicago ar... (more)

sbkim (Jun. 12, 2012 @ 2:52p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:

homersaysdoh said:   Item # 572852 Be prepared for weather related power outages.
$24499 - $250 instant rebate,$2249 total good through 6-20-2011. Installation cost is around $1000 depending on your area and codes.

Please update math and title
$24499 - $250 = $24,249

I was thinking a couple of thousands for backup system, with the hurricane season coming up.
Hmmm.. maybe I can handle it.
25K ? No way.

Not sure why the red. The deal is fair, if not great. Most people never think of this option, but even when electrical power goes out, the natural gas is almost always still working. This is a whole lot safer and easier than keeping the many gallons of gasoline it would take to run a generator 2-4 days of a major power outage.

My bad. One day I will learn to read.

NM

I have the 10KW version of this from Costco that cost $1999. The unit works perfectly so far and power was restored within 20-30 seconds during the 4 outages of last winter. No more messing with refilling a generator with gas cans and driving icy roads to find more fuel during a 4 day power outage. It is very quiet too - surprisingly so. It is much, much quieter than a 5,000 watt portable gasoline unit. From inside the house it sounds like a neighbor several doors down is mowing his lawn so barely noticeable. After 8 months the beige painted metal box is showing slight signs of corrosion around the venting louvres- spots really- and I'll be keeping an eye on that under the 2 year warranty. It is located 100' from saltwater however. The unit easily runs a 1.5HP furnace blower motor, modern fridge, big LCD TV, small freezer, ample spiral lights, bath exhaust fans, 2 PC's, a laptop and multi camera security cam DVR/system.

Installation cost by an electrician was $1700 for my straightforward job for 10 circuits and about 10' of hard gas piping. Estimates varied between $1700 and $2500. They push their annual maintenance package for $250/yr., but I declined as it basically amounted to changing the oil and checking the plugs. You can buy the DIY kit online with the filter and parts.

This thing weighs over 450 lbs. and is packed on a wood pallet. I rented a flatbed truck from Home Depot ($19.99 for first 75 min.) to make it a much easier move.

What is the cost to put in a gas tank (and any know if permits are needed for either)?

dlong said:   What is the cost to put in a gas tank (and any know if permits are needed for either)?

These are for natural gas, not propane. One probably doesn't make sense if you don't already have natural gas piped to the house.

dlong said:   What is the cost to put in a gas tank (and any know if permits are needed for either)?

A; There is no gas tank this runs off of your natural gas line.

A: Only you can find that out, Every state & city is different.

read specs and call your gas supplier to find out if you have the pressure and flow required to run this thing. then call city and find out if it is allowed..

dogmeat said:   dlong said:   What is the cost to put in a gas tank (and any know if permits are needed for either)?

These are for natural gas, not propane. One probably doesn't make sense if you don't already have natural gas piped to the house.

Half right. These units will run on both (thus "LP"). Might as well add a bi-fuel valve and get a pair of propane tanks (check regs for size limits, go with 2x100lbs if you can), in case something goes wrong with the natural gas feed.

You'll need a gas line run to it, triple-check to make sure that you get the right size approved and installed the first time, or you could be out an extra grand between your ex-plumber and the city inspector. (Don't ask why I know this...)

Spec says it pulls 215CFH at max load.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-sizing-d_826....
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-calculator-d_...

The generator has an automatic transfer switch and load management module - which will be hardwired into your electrical panel, so you don't backfeed into the grid and shock utility workers during an outage. Said hookup should require a permit and inspection.

If you can afford it, there is NOTHING like having your own, real, power plant during an extended outage.
Food doesn't rot, air conditioning and lighting and satellite just works. Be prepared to meet your neighbors.
"Hey Fred! What in tarnation is that dad-blasted noisemaker you got there? Hey, wait, why yer lights on? ..."

I was thinking about setting up a charging station with power strips as well as allowing neighbors temporary access to my wireless network in case of a power outage. I wonder how quickly I can pay for the generator by selling power? hmmm...
I added pictures of the box if that information helps answer any questions you have.

elray said:   dogmeat said:   dlong said:   What is the cost to put in a gas tank (and any know if permits are needed for either)?

Half right. These units will run on both (thus "LP"). Might as well add a bi-fuel valve and get a pair of propane tanks (check regs for size limits, go with 2x100lbs if you can), in case something goes wrong with the natural gas feed.

You'll need a gas line run to it, triple-check to make sure that you get the right size approved and installed the first time, or you could be out an extra grand between your ex-plumber and the city inspector. (Don't ask why I know this...)

Spec says it pulls 215CFH at max load.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-sizing-d_826....
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-calculator-d_...

The generator has an automatic transfer switch and load management module - which will be hardwired into your electrical panel, so you don't backfeed into the grid and shock utility workers during an outage. Said hookup should require a permit and inspection.

If you are looking for a dual-fuel solution, (bold above) is the way to go ... NG from the home source as primary and in the event that something goes wrong, LP from a stand-by source.

Best regards,
-boggsie

I know op listing says it comes with remote monitoring, but I did not see that listed on the box at the store. Can someone confirm this comes with the remote device (a picture of this would be nice). I am trying to compare this to the GE 11kW as well as the generac models (which this is essentially with custom ATS).

p.s. I know the deal is over but even at the listed price it still may be a deal with the ATS and "if" it comes with a remote. Note - you will still need to buy the battery for this so add about $150.

Having just put in a 22kw generator I would look into the following items:
1. Do you want a concrete pad to put this puppy on?
2. If you have a newer home plan on getting the gas company involved, newer homes have a 1/2 supply line with a check valve that shuts the gas off if you pull to much.
3. How are you going to get the natural gas to the generator most recommend a seperate line off the meter
4. Propane? Find out how much tank rental is. In my area its 600.00 a year if all you want it for is the generator.
5. A mistake I made was not running seperate conduit runs for the control wires and line voltage. I only run one run, dumb. This is for an automatic transfer switch. Also check if the unit has a battery charger built in. If not might want to think about it, it will be needed.
6. Talk to a electrical supply house and ask what boxes work best. It will save you alot of headaches.
I did the install myself but I am kinda handy. Boxes and wire ran me about $700.00 yours will be less with a 12KW genny
A remote monitor is really nice but always cost extra. Mine was $300.00.
On the fence about getting one? Buy it its worth every penny when the power is out.
One last note 12KW will not run your entire house and central AC

Good luck with your project

Maker - curious why you say 12kW will not run an entire house, especially with load shedding. Also, I agree with you on the remote "usually" costing extra, but the original poster noted that it came with one and according to Honeywellgenerator website all their's come with it. Hence the reason I was asking as I fear this is a costco model only and therefore may not include it.

Another thing I noted when researching this, this is a rebranded generac but they do not appear to have a 12kW model. Based on engine size, I am guessing this is the same as their 14kW model, probably governed somehow.

Check your AC and see how much your pulling, it will surprise you. Then throw in the essentials like lights, sump pump, TV, etc its just not in the cards. I stand corrected on the monitor might come with it now.

You will lose KW's if your fuel is NG, propane you get more out of it, could this be the discrepency?

more than enough to power my property sensors, fridge, alarms, and communications gear if something bad were to happen. Running lights and AC brings unwanted attention when you are dealing with a national emergency.

Marker - the AC pull is where the load shedding comes into play. Basically the generator (actually the smart transfer switch) will only allow the AC to kick on when sufficient power is available. So in that respect it will power a whole house, but in a managed way versus always available. In winter this would not be so much an issue. As for NG vs LP, that is another interesting thing about this particular model generator. It produces 12,000 watts on either. I am guessing this has to do with the fact they are governing a bigger motor.

In any case, I am still interested in anyone who bought this and if the remote came with it. After looking at this at Costco, my guess is only the gen and transfer switch comes with it.

I had mine installed with a manual switch to the a/c sub panel and the automatic sync transfer switch to the house panel. Thinking I can turn off circuits in the panel to lower the load, then energize the a/c panel to let air circulate. Then turn off power to a/c and bring house back up. Would only be necessary during a long outage.

If it is a national emergency this won't be running either on natural gas if you don't have electricity. First probably 30% of the compressors on the main lines are electric so no compression no gas. Second unless it is a low temperature emergency, the National Pipeline Safety Act may have natural gas shut off in your service area to nonessential customers. Unless you already have the DOT paperwork you aren't essential. People seem to forget that during Rita and Katrina in 2005 and Ike in 2007 about 40% of the natural gas supply was shut in to prevent fire and explosion. Some portions stayed out until utility crews could go in and manually relight each customer's pilot lights (Hurricane Andrew for example). If you are counting on this to cover a hurricane, all block valves are closed in the directly affected area when line pressure drops and not reopened until each foot of main line transmission is visually inspected for leaks. So you are subject to interruptions for issues that are remote to where you live. This summer significant portions of El Paso Natural Gas's main lines had to be shut off when the Arizona fires threatened the area they were in.

Aggie you just reaffirmed my opinion of the quality of your education. Rice Institute.

Has anyone installed one of these? Any updates, feedback, info on the experience would be appreciated.

Hey homer,
Did yours come with a remote monitor?

Bought one this weekend for off the grid home. No transfer so should have been easy install. Able to connect black and red lines to breaker box. Unable to find the connection module for the neutral and ground. Was told by gen repair guy that it's under the top right panel with the display. Anybody know how to get in there? The top piece seems to be attached with one way screws... The diagram is on page 7 of the Installation Guide but I couldn't find anything in the directions that told me where that module was. Any help would be appreciated!

Hey guys can someone answer this? I just bought one of those 12KW honewell gennys from Costco and wondering if I can use a 200 amp auto transfer box with it ?

Hey guys can someone answer this? I just bought one of those 12KW honewell gennys from Costco and wondering if I can use a 200 amp auto transfer box with it ?

No - it's not $24,000; it's $2,400...I just priced it at Costco: $2,499.99 (minus $250 instant rebate from Honeywell/Generac) comes to FINAL COST = $2,249.99.

mine came with 100 amp transfer switch-type where you take house feed into it so you do not have to rewire multiple house circuits- only later did I find out the 100 amps is a limit for both the generator AND the house side- My house has 200 amp service so I now have to go buy a 200 amp transfer switch- none of the 3 people at Costco told me this.

drivfour said:   mine came with 100 amp transfer switch-type where you take house feed into it so you do not have to rewire multiple house circuits- only later did I find out the 100 amps is a limit for both the generator AND the house side- My house has 200 amp service so I now have to go buy a 200 amp transfer switch- none of the 3 people at Costco told me this.

Costco didn't have a master electrician waiting for you at the store? Hard to believe.

Is Everybody Happy With The Units Thus So Far Please Comment I Want To Purchase One & Does The Whole Panel Box Get Hooked Up To it Please Confirm

Please Respond To Joe10760@aol.com If Anyone Can Help Me Out With Installation Procedure

A diesel gen is also good if I need to light a trench fire to keep the zombies away. [I would guess, in a major earthquake - nat gas lines will also be down.]

nsdp said:   If it is a national emergency this won't be running either on natural gas if you don't have electricity. First probably 30% of the compressors on the main lines are electric so no compression no gas. Second unless it is a low temperature emergency, the National Pipeline Safety Act may have natural gas shut off in your service area to nonessential customers. Unless you already have the DOT paperwork you aren't essential. People seem to forget that during Rita and Katrina in 2005 and Ike in 2007 about 40% of the natural gas supply was shut in to prevent fire and explosion. Some portions stayed out until utility crews could go in and manually relight each customer's pilot lights (Hurricane Andrew for example). If you are counting on this to cover a hurricane, all block valves are closed in the directly affected area when line pressure drops and not reopened until each foot of main line transmission is visually inspected for leaks. So you are subject to interruptions for issues that are remote to where you live. This summer significant portions of El Paso Natural Gas's main lines had to be shut off when the Arizona fires threatened the area they were in.

Aggie you just reaffirmed my opinion of the quality of your education. Rice Institute.

A very sage observation. During Northridge, gas supplies west of Needles were shut off 3-4 days. Loma Prieta, some were without natural gas for a week. Remember the fires from leaking gas lines. Diesel will have problems with CARB and EPA in any state if you have an underground diesel storage tank. Some aquifer recharge zones you can't even get a permit to install an underground tank and the testing monitoring rules if you do are a nightmare. Above ground has to have a containment berm over 250 gallons unless you are a farmer. Propane would probably be the most reliable and easy to install legally.

Where did you find a 200 amp transfer switch. Any luck returning or selling the 100 amp that came with the costco generator?

drivfour said:   mine came with 100 amp transfer switch-type where you take house feed into it so you do not have to rewire multiple house circuits- only later did I find out the 100 amps is a limit for both the generator AND the house side- My house has 200 amp service so I now have to go buy a 200 amp transfer switch- none of the 3 people at Costco told me this.The generator can only put out 100A @ 120V (50A @ 240V). Why in the world would you pay extra to buy a 200A transfer switch? Using one is not magically going to make this generator output 200A of current.

drgrout said:   Please Respond To Joe10760@aol.com If Anyone Can Help Me Out With Installation ProcedureHire an electrician. Seriously.

Better to have access to all of your circuits with 200 amp panel. Pick breakers you want on.
Just make sure you watch power useage.

I know I have circuits I need in winter and others in the summer so with 200 amp i can switch between then without the need to rewire transfer.

If you can afford to buy one do it. If you are mechanically inclined then you can do the wiring yourself and have a pro do the gas hook up and running new gas lines. I have a 17 kw unit and will never have a house without it again.

Just pay attention to the amount of noise that the unit makes in standby and full power. 62 db can just get by running the weekly test mode, without pissing the neighbors off.

Skipping 6 Messages...
CareerChanger said:   FYI - The rebate is back again and expires June 3rd (2012). I saw it in store yesterday. The rebate is instant and taken at the register.

Some other items to note. It does not come with remote monitor and it is a 2 year warranty not 5 year like the original poster noted (though the ones sold on honeywell.com have a 5 year). It does come with a smart 100 amp transfer switch but that is it. No pre-wired whips, etc.

Darn - I must have just missed this. I didn't see this on their monthly coupon book. IT's back to $2499 in Chicago area.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014