• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Free Unlimited Google Voice Calls Over Wi-Fi or 3G (Android App: GrooVe IP) Uses No Minutes! $3.99 in Android Market
I personally don't have much use for this but for some people, I can see this app being pretty handy. Basically, in conjunction with Google Voice, this Android app lets you make and receive free calls over Wi-Fi or 3G/4G without using any of your minutes. It's a fairly new app so there might still be some bugs but the developer seems to update it regularly. The app costs $3.99 in the Android Market. Seems like a hot deal to me. Details are below:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gvoip

Description
Voice without Minutes!

This app, in conjunction with Google Voice, lets you make unlimited calls to any phone in US or Canada using the data connection of your mobile device without using up any of your mobile minutes! Once you get a free public phone number from Google Voice, you can use this app to make or receive calls to/from anyone in the world. (For details of how to get a free US phone number, the low international calling rates, or any other details, please visit the Google Voice web site at http://www.google.com/voice.)

This app supports making and receiving calls using Wi-Fi and/or 3G/4G data connections. It brings the power of Google Voice to you without the need to use any of your mobile minutes. You get all the advanced voice features provided by Google Voice on your mobile device. These features include:

- A single number that rings you anywhere
- Online voicemail--transcribed messages delivered to your inbox
- Free calls within US and Canada, and super low rates everywhere else
- The ability to send incoming call to voicemail
- Incoming call recording
- And many, many more...

It's like having two-phones-in-one. For example, you can use your original phone number for business and use the new one for personal use.

This app is also perfect for you if you are in a location with poor or no mobile reception but still have Internet connectivity over Wi-Fi.

Take your number with you when traveling with GrooVe IP! If you are traveling overseas, now you no longer have to be without a cell phone, or aquire a local cell phone in the country you are visiting. You can use your GrooVe IP phone to make and receive calls as long as you have a Wi-Fi connection.

If you have a smart phone with Wi-Fi connectivity but no mobile plan, you can use this app to convert it to a free, full-featured working phone.

This app has a separate dialer that can be used to make calls. Alternatively, the native dialer/call-log/contacts/favorite functionality can be shared between the "two phones" on a call-by-call basis.

** NOTE ** Please ensure that your Google Voice account is associated with either a gmail or google apps account.

** NOTE ** To receive incoming calls you MUST go into your Google Voice account and forward calls to Google Chat. You may also need to sign out of Google Chat or Google Talk in other locations as calls are only routed to one sign-in.

If you have any questions, comments or feature requests, please feel free to contact us via email to snrb.Labs@gmail.com. Happy Calling!

thanks epicboy502 / MisterGadget

Member Summary

Google Voice
Thanks DevilMonkey
Disclaimer

GrooVe IP
Thanks MisterGadget
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Glad this thread resurfaced, cuz I couldn't remember the name of this app. I'm gonna buy it today. Thanks!

kenbenobi (Nov. 05, 2011 @ 5:45a) |

As far as the actual google voice app, this is my understanding. If you have google voice on you cell phone, outgoing ca... (more)

bnbhoha (Nov. 05, 2011 @ 9:26a) |

how is the call quality on 4g network

stuffedwallet (Nov. 05, 2011 @ 9:47a) |

$1.99 http://www.amazon.com/snrb-Labs-GrooVe-IP/dp/B004Z1P53W/

How to make unlimited free phone call on T-mobile Android Cell phone

Copied from one of the reviewer in the Market and my personal experience also;Warning: this WILL spam many people on your contact list with an invite! They should have made that optional
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

GrooVe IP
Disclaimer
I don't think I see the Link for this here.

Here it is: GrooVe IP App from Android Market Store

Why would not I use google voice app for free instead?

U add 3.99 for 2011 GDP

eturkan said:   Why would not I use google voice app for free instead?I'm not sure if this is true for all providers, but for my phone, GV still uses minutes (for some reason).

116sloppyjoe116 said:   eturkan said:   Why would not I use google voice app for free instead?I'm not sure if this is true for all providers, but for my phone, GV still uses minutes (for some reason).

I think this is true for all devices. I don't think voip calls are built in any of their mobile apps.

skadoo323 said:   116sloppyjoe116 said:   eturkan said:   Why would not I use google voice app for free instead?I'm not sure if this is true for all providers, but for my phone, GV still uses minutes (for some reason).

I think this is true for all devices. I don't think voip calls are built in any of their mobile apps.

This is because the Google Voice app actually makes calls using your phone's cellular minutes, but instead of calling your contact directly, the Google Voice app calls Google's "phone center" (or whatever it is called). Then Google completes the call for you. So the Google Voice app causes your Google Voice phone number to show up on your contact's caller ID but you are not actually calling over the internet. Groove IP actually calls over your data plan. It connects directly to gtalk over the internet and makes its calls the same way you would over the google web interface. With Groove IP, you don't even need a phone plan at all. You can make calls with just a wifi connection.

Having said that, this isn't a deal. While you may like the app and find it really useful, this is the standard price for the app, MSRP some might say. This is Fatwallet after all. I expect a coupon or something.

eturkan said:   Why would not I use google voice app for free instead?
One advantage is Groove IP allows you to make calls from wireless APs in foreign countries.

Verizon definitely deducts minutes for GV usage, this app is one of the beautiful ways around that. Thanks for sharing.

116sloppyjoe116 said:   eturkan said:   Why would not I use google voice app for free instead?I'm not sure if this is true for all providers, but for my phone, GV still uses minutes (for some reason).

That is true for all phones and providers where you are not on unlimited minutes. This app is for Android phones and gives you the option to use your data 3G stream instead of your voice 3G or WiFi for free to stay off your limited voice minutes. Also a way around long distance fees for those few still on regional calling plans.

Peace!

MisterGadget said:   116sloppyjoe116 said:   eturkan said:   Why would not I use google voice app for free instead?I'm not sure if this is true for all providers, but for my phone, GV still uses minutes (for some reason).

That is true for all phones and providers where you are not on unlimited minutes. This app is for Android phones and gives you the option to use your data 3G stream instead of your voice 3G or WiFi for free to stay off your limited voice minutes. Also a way around long distance fees for those few still on regional calling plans.

Peace!

Not necessarily true. I have a grandfathered T-Mobile plan with Fave 5 (unlimited calling to 5 numbers, I can change these five numbers once a month) where I have GV as one of the numbers and ergo it uses none of my allotted minutes (in or out). I THINK Verizon still offers some variant of this plan, but it's the only carrier that still does (that I know of). T-Mobile discontinued Fave 5 a year or so ago.

This is actually a pretty good way to save $$, I've tried SipDroid with pbxes.org ($5/mo that gives you HD coded), and there's also Skype subscription for $2.99/mo for fair-use unlimited calls.

so by paying $3.99 one time you save every month.

I have google voice and use 0 cell minutes with my google voice number.

KidCharliemain said:   MisterGadget said:   116sloppyjoe116 said:   eturkan said:   Why would not I use google voice app for free instead?I'm not sure if this is true for all providers, but for my phone, GV still uses minutes (for some reason).

Peace!

Not necessarily true. I have a grandfathered T-Mobile plan with Fave 5 (unlimited calling to 5 numbers, I can change these five numbers once a month) where I have GV as one of the numbers and ergo it uses none of my allotted minutes (in or out). I THINK Verizon still offers some variant of this plan, but it's the only carrier that still does (that I know of). T-Mobile discontinued Fave 5 a year or so ago.

I dunno but for me, on T-Mobile Myfaves, the bridge number constantly changes. Negating the myfaves for gv.

is google voice having issues? i am not able to verify my VM Optimus V (phone doesnt ring)

edit: never mind. had to do the Google Chat integration/enabled to get it working.

For T-Mobile my faves users, just dial your own GV number then hit 2 and then you can dial any other number as a free GV call.

freddyfoster said:   

This is Fatwallet after all. I expect a coupon or something.

If I had the clout, this quote would be beneath my avatar!

Are you talking about with or without a google voice number? I have a google voice number, I call and receive calls on that line, (IE, people dial my GV number). I have had 0 minutes on verizon for over a year.

laotzu3 said:   For T-Mobile my faves users, just dial your own GV number then hit 2 and then you can dial any other number as a free GV call.

Exactly what I do, it's a bit of a pain but it saves me MUCHO deniro. Incoming doesn't seem to be a problem, haven't seen a charge yet.

KidCharliemain said:   MisterGadget said:   116sloppyjoe116 said:   eturkan said:   Why would not I use google voice app for free instead?I'm not sure if this is true for all providers, but for my phone, GV still uses minutes (for some reason).

Peace!

Thank you for the point and discussion for those on T-Mobile.

That was my point though, in my statement; "That is true for all phones and providers where you are NOT on unlimited minutes." In your case with your FAV 5 you HAVE unlimited minutes using those 5 numbers (one used for Google Voice).

What is important though is you have figured out how to use GV to save you money!

Peace.

KidCharliemain said:   laotzu3 said:   For T-Mobile my faves users, just dial your own GV number then hit 2 and then you can dial any other number as a free GV call.

Exactly what I do, it's a bit of a pain but it saves me MUCHO deniro. Incoming doesn't seem to be a problem, haven't seen a charge yet.

I thought Deniro's first name was Robert? Turns out it's MUCHO! (I think you meant mucho dinero).

I think gv works over wifi on an iPod touch and maybe iPad. But I was doing this a year ago on a droid for free... Droid was not sub to any network. Just worked on wifi.

eturkan said:   Why would not I use google voice app for free instead?

Probably because you don't read or do research before you post comments like this.

So far, free calling through Gmail is only guaranteed through 2011. Since this app seems to be just a nice front-end to that, it may not work forever (for free, anyway):

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/free-calling-in-gmail-exte...

Here's an alternative (but clunkier) way to make phone calls over data. I've tried it before and it seemed to work sorta kinda all right.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/30090/never-run-out-of-minutes-ag...

deshwasi said:   is google voice having issues? i am not able to verify my VM Optimus V (phone doesnt ring)

edit: never mind. had to do the Google Chat integration/enabled to get it working.

I also have an Optimus V with Virgin Mobile, but when I enter a phone number with the Groove IP, I get a message saying I have to "sign in".

What am I doing wrong? I don't know where I'm suppose to "sign in".

I already registered my Google Voice ID with the Groove IP.

Can anyone help me?

Not trying to TC

It is smart to use the deal for unlimited calls, but not very smart health wise.

WHO: Cell phone use can increase possible cancer risk

ibmman69 said:   eturkan said:   Why would not I use google voice app for free instead?

Probably because you don't read or do research before you post comments like this.

Actually if you read the official GV application in the market. It does NOT mention any cell minutes charge. I wonder why Google has not been hit by a class action suite.

Can a google voice number be ported out? I'd like to use this app on Virgin mobile Optimus V, but would want the ability to port my GV number out to Virgin Mobile should Google start charging for GV calls in 2012...

petite said:   Not trying to TC

It is smart to use the deal for unlimited calls, but not very smart health wise.

Umm, are you already affected by it? .. Because you did try to TC.

This is about an Android app, not cancer.

You = fail.. kthxbai.

Darrone said:   I have google voice and use 0 cell minutes with my google voice number.

Looking to upgrade to three smartphones in a week. Want to get Android phones with Sprint. Been with them for more than a decade. They always have been good to me.

This poster said zero cell minutes are used. Others said they do unless you get an app like GrooVe.

Which is which? Please help.

The google app works well if you have a friends& family style plan and either A. Only receive incoming phone calls. or B. Call via the Google Voice website.
This is because only incoming calls come from your Google voice number, hence why A works, and since Google Voice's website calls you first, that's why B works.
When the Google voice app was first introduced, it would call your Google number, connect, and then call whomever you were calling. This has changed so that it sets up the number in advance, then issues yet another number to call that number, then dials the 2nd number to connect you to the person you are calling, hence, you burn minutes on your cell plan, as you can't guess to what the number will be that you are calling. Great for calling people whom you could actually use credits on (say international calls), but mostly worthless otherwise when it comes to minutes.

Learn how to read research studies. It's classified by the IARC as Group 2B, not even Group 2A. The serious list is Group 1 [wikipedia.org] which indicates they are carcinogenic to humans. Group 2B [wikipedia.org] simply means "possibly carcinogenic to humans."

Also in Group 2B are Magnetic fields (extremely low frequency), pickled vegetables, coffee, nickel and the occupation of carpentry and joinery. And you know what else? Citrus Red No. 2 which is used to color the oranges you buy in supermarkets.

So they've put it next to coffee, coinage and food coloring. Why doesn't everyone flip out when things like those are added to Group 2B?

Furthermore, studies that ask people with brain cancers "How much did you use your phone?" are pretty much all they had, and they seem to be the definition of "Confirmation Bias."

In other news, the media (and you apparently) fails science forever...

Ok, people. Stop arguing whether GV uses minutes or not. These are two different things.

Google Voice (used to be Grand Central) is a call routing service from Google. It works with your existing line and phone to route calls through it. So, it looks to callers and recipients as if the call came through GV. Think about it as a router at home. You still need a phone line and existing phone number to use it. So, when you use the official GV app on your phone, it still uses your line and minutes, the calls make an extra hop though Google.

Google Voice Chat/Gmail Voice Chat is the ability to make phone calls without an existing phone service. This uses your GV number, but it is an entirely different service introduced late last year. It can actually originate and receive the calls without the need for a physical phone or phone service. It is a soft-phone, i.e. software that acts like a telephone. The only "official" Google way to do it is using your computer logged into Gmail. This $3.99 app is a soft-phone that uses Google Voice Chat to place and receive calls. The fact that it is running on your phone is just coincidental. The same software can be used on a tablet. It does not use your minutes, only data connection.

This capability has been around for a while and several free options were posted here. I tried the SIP Droid option linked above and it is not pretty. It is usable on WiFi, but not on 3G. If you need a reliable phone service, this is not a replacement for a cell phone.

hkgfnt said:   Darrone said:   I have google voice and use 0 cell minutes with my google voice number.

Looking to upgrade to three smartphones in a week. Want to get Android phones with Sprint. Been with them for more than a decade. They always have been good to me.

This poster said zero cell minutes are used. Others said they do unless you get an app like GrooVe.

Which is which? Please help.

OK -- I have not used this program yet.. but this is basically how it works.

Google Voice (From the Android Market) burns cell phone minutes. This is how it's designed to act.

Google Voice Callback (Another Android Market one) allows you to place calls as you normally would.. but as you're about to call.. It asks you if you want to dial normally, or have Google Callback. Google will then call YOUR CELL PHONE from your GOOGLE VOICE NUMBER. It then connects you to your called #. This allows me to abuse my friends & family plan. I put my Google Voice # on my F&F plan -- Therefore I burn virtually 0 "anytime" minutes. I have verified this for the past 3 months on my bill.

Groove IP (this) -- Sounds like it uses Google Talk (Chat) via 3G/WiFi to place calls entirely through Google Talk (data). Pretty nifty, but you have to ensure you are not logged into Google Talk from anywhere else (Gmail).

I prefer GV Callback (if you have F&F plan)
My advise for using Groove IP -- Create a completely separate Gmail/GVoice account for it, so you don't run into any Google Talk logged in, in mult. locations issues.

KidCharliemain said:   laotzu3 said:   For T-Mobile my faves users, just dial your own GV number then hit 2 and then you can dial any other number as a free GV call.

I used to do that, but found the free Android App "GVoice Callback". It integrates with my Mytouch 4g on T-Mob so that it has my Google Voice number call ME. All I have to do is dial the number I want and it automatically does all the rest. It even auto-answers the incoming Google Voice call. So far, it's been working seamlessly for me. I don't think I've used a T-Mobile minute in months.

I have no connection to the app or its developers other than that I use it all the time.

Dennis

When I see WHO I think about the United Nations. The next thing I think about what is their political agenda behind this report? To push for more funding for what?

Now I am getting paranoid about those "radioactive" produces at Kroger too.

Thanks to all that have answered my question. My wish is to cancel my cheap Vonage plan, go to GV or GV Chat, continues to make calls to Canada free, use wifi whenever I can but hopefully not eating into the minutes at the same time.

For those who have GV and ObiHai, you can do this with the OBION app. You need a WiFi connection and you simply dial your OBI number. From the Obi Attendant, you dial 2 and then the number. It works in foreign countries for a free call to the states or a LD call to the country that you are in! The only catch is finding a free WiFi connection. Save your $3.99 and get the Obi110 for $50. It is awesome. There are threads about this device. Search

Agent9 said:   eturkan said:   Why would not I use google voice app for free instead?
One advantage is Groove IP allows you to make calls from wireless APs in foreign countries.

Unless there is something very clever about this, you probably can't actually do that. I was overseas recently and brought a laptop that I planned to use with GV/chat to make calls to the US. No dice. GV/chat detects that you are on a non-US IP address and blocks the ability to call.

Edit: The exception seems to be using the ObiHai service, but that means buying the Obi box.

samko said:   For those who have GV and ObiHai, you can do this with the OBION app. You need a WiFi connection and you simply dial your OBI number. From the Obi Attendant, you dial 2 and then the number. It works in foreign countries for a free call to the states or a LD call to the country that you are in! The only catch is finding a free WiFi connection. Save your $3.99 and get the Obi110 for $50. It is awesome. There are threads about this device. SearchWith an Obi device and their app you can just dial 10 digits and place the call, no need to go through the IVR. See the Obihai forum for proper setup.

Sipgate interacts good with Android for wifi calling.

Free incoming calls
Designate the caller id for outgoing calls
Can be set as a forwarding phone in google voice
And if you want, 1.9 cents per minute for outgoing calls

Skipping 81 Messages...
how is the call quality on 4g network

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014