• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Please Google or Wiki if you don't know what's MakerBot - a ground breaking product featured in Nova, Popular Science/Mechanics, etc. It's over $1000 last year.

Linky

Check out how Statue of Liberty is PRINT - a Youtube video!

It includes:

* Lasercut CupCake CNC Body
* MK5 Plastruder Complete Kit with Relay Board for 3mm filament only!
* Automated Build Platform Kit
* Pre-assembled Generation 3 Electronics Kit, (3 Stepper Drivers v2.3 , 1 RepRap Motherboard v1.2, and 1 Extruder Controller v2.2)
* 3 x NEMA 17 stepper motors for your XY&Z axis
* A magnetized, detachable build platform and acrylic build surface
* CupCake Belt and Pulleys Kit
* CupCake CNC Hardware Burrito
* CupCake CNC Drive System kit
* All the cables you need (1 USB-TTL, 1 Cat5e patch cable, and IDC rainbow cables)
* ATX power supply (115/230v switchable)
* tool kit with all the hex keys and wrenches to assemble the machine.
* 1lb. of Natural MakerBot 3mm ABS plastic filament
* 1 GB SD card to save and buffer your prints

Member Summary

Thanks templeboy
Disclaimer
<-- Ultimate Father's Day gift!
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Fascinating!

Check out this video - this guy made a bunch of stuff, including some very practical applications...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdzooQQDWGg&NR=1&feature=fvwp

"This is it! The *absolute last batch* of MakerBot CupCake CNC's are now available!"

Why? And is that really a selling point? Is there a new one in the pipeline?

i really thought buying the blendtec was the crazyest thing that i ever wanted and found on fw........

until today.

shahnm said:   Fascinating!

Check out this video - this guy made a bunch of stuff, including some very practical applications...

Unfortunately he didn't use the Makerbot, he used a Dimension FDM printer that starts at $15k. For something cheap like the CupCake, check out the RepRap.

TheMeliorist said:   shahnm said:   Fascinating!

Unfortunately he didn't use the Makerbot, he used a Dimension FDM printer that starts at $15k. For something cheap like the CupCake, check out the RepRap.
We have a dimension elite in the shop I work at, amazing piece of kit. We also made a reprap with the dimension and I would recommend the RepRap 100 times over the makerbots.

saw it on colbert report. cool, but what kind of practical things can you make??

Am I the only one that thought this was a cupcake maker?

fitallvb said:   Am I the only one that thought this was a cupcake maker?
Yes.

pretty cool stuff.
so if a makerbot can make itself, are we close to the rise of the machines?

they totally get you with the ink though lol

Thanks much..

I am very much interested in knowing more details on RepRap.. can anyone tell how much it cost

vickh said:   saw it on colbert report. cool, but what kind of practical things can you make??

For example, I'm a Bottlehead - not the kind you think - who builds high-end vacuum tube gears as a hobby. While I'm great with circuitry, soldering, and so on, I have zero capability with metal chassis work. With this I may build something both beautiful to behold and to hear, instead of just in ugly wooden boxes.

I first saw a megabuck 3D printer at a white-shoe architecture firm some years ago. Obviously it's very useful for them. I was however utterly shocked with the 6-figure price tag.

interesting

TB Wooden boxes aren't ugly when done right....and arguably plastic isn't ideal for a tube chassis.
Find a partner with artisan skills that compliment yours and you'll be able to spend time on the elements that are your forte and he or she will do the parts they do well. Symbiosis.
I wouldn't recommend a plastics CNC unit like this and all the related expense of fussing with it and limited dimentional capabilities and limited stepping resolution for one off tube amps.

I never thought I'll see this on fw and indeed in 4 one

I noticed this:"Also, this kit does not include the filament spindle kit. If you're going to go all out, please make sure to add the Filament Spindle Box Kit to your order." Which links to this URL:http://store.makerbot.com/featured-products/deluxe-filament-spindle-mk1-kit.html which is not found I would call and see if that is something that is an absolute must have for this. Otherwise this is pretty awesome. I was talking to my wife and we were already coming up with practical uses.
1.Replace missing parts/accessories on children's toys
2.Custom Action figures
3.lots of replacement small parts for kitchen appliances, car parts(interior pieces like bezels and once I had a heater control valve break on a car that was like 50$ and I could just whip one up with this)

The only thing I see being difficult is the expertise for programming and the getting all the measurements right.

djscoggins said:   I noticed this:"Also, this kit does not include the filament spindle kit. If you're going to go all out, please make sure to add the Filament Spindle Box Kit to your order." Which links to this URL:http://store.makerbot.com/featured-products/deluxe-filament-spin... which is not found I would call and see if that is something that is an absolute must have for this.

Filament spindle box kit

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014