• Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Kindle SO
Disclaimer

Special Offers Example
Disclaimer
Welcome to the "Official" Thread for "Kindle with Special Offers" (or Kindle SO or KSO) from Amazon.com

The purpose of this thread is to consolidate current, exclusive offers for Kindle SO users. Please note that ALL deals in this thread are limited to current Kindle SO owners only.

This is a community effort, so if you see a deal, please put it in the Quick Summary. I will do my best to keep the OP as up to date as possible. As a rule for the Hot Deals Forum, there will be absolutely no coupon code trading or begging allowed in the thread. If you have a code you wish to trade/give away, please do so here.

To order Kindle (Wi-Fi) with Special Offers for $114, click here.
Or, to order Kindle 3G with Special Offers for $139, click here.
Also available at select, major retailers.

General Information about Kindle with Special Offers

Kindle with Special Offers includes all the same features readers love about the latest-generation Kindle—the same paper-like Pearl electronic-ink display that's easy on the eyes even in bright sunlight, same one month battery life, same ultra-light weight at just 8.5 ounces—plus a new low price of $114 and special offers delivered regularly to your Kindle, such as a $10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card, $1 for an album in the Amazon MP3 Store, and a $100 Gift Card with a new Amazon Rewards Visa Card.

Special offers and sponsored screensavers display on the Kindle screensaver and on the bottom of the home screen — they don't interrupt reading.

To make sure you don't miss any of the offers, a full list of active offers is available from the menu of Kindle with Special Offers at any time. We'll send new offers to your device regularly. For more detailed information about Kindle SO, click here.

Current Promotions
Please see offer details in Quick Summary below.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
recent offers are no better than the lightning deals. sigh

SSi (Mar. 15, 2012 @ 6:54p) |

$3 off Amazon Instant Video. Claim by 5/6. Use by 6/6.

c3 (May. 02, 2012 @ 4:07a) |

Strange. I don't have that one. Only an offer for AmazonLocal.

EDIT: nevermind, it just took a while to load all the de... (more)

Yuyak (May. 02, 2012 @ 7:54p) |

CURRENT OFFERS:
*$5 off a $10 purchase - claim by 12/6/11, redeem by 1/6/12 (note: excludes digital purchases)

RECENT OFFERS: (can no longer be claimed, but can still be redeemed)
*Save $10 on a $30 purchase of select makeup in the Beauty Store - Claim by 11/23; Redeem by 12/23 - Offer Link
*Buy One of 100 Humor Titles for $1 - Claim by 11/24; Redeem by 12/24 - Offer Link Eligible Titles

DEAD OFFERS: (can not be redeemed anymore)
*Save $25 on your $50 purchase of select back-to-college gear (claim by 9/1; redeem by 10/1) - Qualifying Products
*Save 40% on select Kindle covers - Claim by 9/5; Redeem by 10/5 - Qualifying Products
*Buy one of 100 Biographies & Memoirs for $1 - Claim by 9/9; redeem by 10/10 - Offer Link, Eligible Titles
*Save $30 when you spend $80 at MYHABIT - Claim by 9/9; redeem by 10/9
*Get $100 off select HDTVs from major brands at Amazon.com - Claim by 9/13; redeem by 10/13 - Offer Link
*Save $10 on a $25 purchase of select software downloads at Amazon.com - Claim by 9/17; redeem by 10/17 - Offer Link
*Spend $5 and get $5 in the Amazon Instant Video Store - Claim by 9/21; make purchase by 10/21
*Buy one of 100 romance titles for $1 - Claim by 9/25; redeem by 10/25 - Offer Link. Eligible Titles
*Save $10 on $20 of pet supplies at Wag.com - Claim by 9/29; redeem by 10/29.
*Save $10 on a $25 purchase of select season one TV shows on DVD and Blu-ray - Claim by 9/29; redeem by 10/29 - Offer Link
*Save 50% on a Kindle power adapter & USB cable at Amazon.com - Claim by 9/29; redeem by 10/29 - Offer Link
*Buy one of 100 Mysteries & Thrillers titles for $1 - Claim by 10/3; redeem by 11/3 - Offer Link. Eligible Titles
*Save $5 on a $10 purchase at Amazon.com - Claim by 10/3; redeem by 11/3.
*Get an extra 30% off select headphones; claim by 10/7/11; redeem by 11/7/11.
Staff Summary
  • Amazon Coupons:
    JWLWATCH
    Take 20% off Jewelry & Watches. (expires 10/5/14 11:59pm)
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The Special Offers Kindle is a FABULOUS deal. Many sold their HDTV code alone on eBay for between $150-$255 (but remember, you are too late to get one of those offers now).

Those of you with a regular Kindle and wish you had a Special Offers Kindle (SOK): do a chat with Kindle support(start Chat and ask to be transferred to Kindle Support)and they will authorize a return for you and give you an 80% refund (some, including me, even have reported a 100% refund. YMMV on that) of what you paid for your original Kindle device (even if you have had it for a year). You can then apply that towards the purchase of a SOK (Special Offers Kindle). This will pay for itself. Plus your warranty would start all over again.

SOME UPCOMING OFFERS:
$5 Amazon MP3 Credit, $50 Amazon GC for opening Amazon CC, $5 off any $10 purchase, $25 off $100 textbooks, $40 off $100 watch Endless.com, 50% off Amazon groceries, Buy one of 100 Kindle books on investing for $1

PS: those of you trying to make up your mind, here are some of the offers that are now expired. It will give you an idea of what you can expect from a Special Offer Kindle in the future:

PAST OFFERS (can no longer be claimed)
*Save $10 on $20 of Kindle Accessories (claim by 7/19, redeem by 8/19)
*Use your Visa card to buy select Kindle books and get a $10 Amazon.com credit (Claim by July 21, redeem by 7/31)
*Save $20 on $40 of Beauty products from Amazon.com (claim by 7/23, redeem by 8/23)
*Buy an Android smartphone from AmazonWireless & get a $25 Gift Card (claim by 7/23, redeem by 8/23)
*Buy one of 100 Mysteries & Thrillers titles for $1 (Claim by July 27, redeem by 8/27)
*Save $25 off a $50 jewelry purchase at Amazon.com. (Claim by July 27, redeem by 8/27)
*Save $10 when you spend $25 on select Blu-ray movies and TV shows (Claim by July 31, redeem by 8/31)
*Save 25% on Select Digital Cameras & Camcorders (Claim by July 31, redeem by 8/31)
*Save $40 on select printers (Claim by 8/4; Redeem by 9/4)
*Buy one of 100 Humor titles for $1 (Claim by 8/4; Redeem by 9/4)
Save $10 on $25 of eligible sun care products, claim by 7/15, redeem by by 8/15
$1 for a Kindle book, choose from thousands of titles, claim by 7/15, redeem by 7/25
Save $25 on $50 of Baby products from Amazon.com (Claim by July 11, 2011)
200+ Free Songs with Book or eBook Purchase (Claim by July 7, 2011)
Get a free $5 credit towards movies and TV shows at Amazon Instant Video (Claim by July 7, 2011)
Use your Visa card to buy select Kindle books and get a $10 Amazon.com credit (Claim by July 3, 2011)
Save $10 on video games at Amazon.com (Claim by July 3, 2011)
Use your Visa® card to buy select bestsellers and classics and get a $10 Amazon.com credit
Pay $10 for a $20 Amazon.com Gift Card
$1 for an album in the Amazon MP3 store (choose from over 1 million albums)
$10 for $30 of products in the Amazon Denim Shop
50% off a Roku Streaming Player at Amazon.com
Get the Amazon.com Rewards Credit Card and Receive a $100 Amazon.com Gift Card
$6 for 6 Audible books (normally $68)
50% off a KindleLighted Leather Cover (normally $59.99)(Claim by May 28, 2011 spend by August 28)
Spend $5 on Kindle Singles and get a $5 Amazon.com Gift Card
20% off select HDTVs at Amazon.com
Save 25% on Endless.com ((claim by June 9, 2011 spend by July 5)
Get $50 off Strathwood patio furniture when you spend $100 (claim by June 13, 2011 spend by July 13)
$10 for $30 of products in the Amazon Swim Shop ((claim by June 17, 2011 spend by July 17)
Pay $10 for a $20 Amazon.com Gift Card ((claim by June 21, 2011 spend by July 21)
Get $20 off Amazon Power & Hand Tools when you spend $30 ((claim by June 21, 2011 complete purchase by July 21)
Save $20 on portable GPS devices in the Amazon GPS & Navigation store (claim by June 25, 2011 and complete order by July 25)
Spend $10 on eligible Kindle books and get a $10 Amazon.com Gift Card (claim by June 25, 2011 and complete order by August 9th)
Save $15 when you spend $20 on Amazon Kindle Skins (Claim by June 29, 2011 and complete order by Friday July 29)
Save $25 on $50 of Camping & Backpacking Gear from Amazon.com (Claim by June 29, 2011 and complete order by July 29)

Thanks for the thread, it will make it easier to decide which way to go. Note that they also offer the Kindle 3G+WiFi ($189) with SO ($164).

Has anyone tried registering a SO unit in Canada? Most of the offers above are US oriented though some might work (or could be ordered when travelling). I was hoping they might have SOs tied to Amazon.ca or downloadable items (e.g. discount Kindle books) that would apply to Canada.

Thanks!
=aw

ottawa said:   Thanks for the thread, it will make it easier to decide which way to go. Note that they also offer the Kindle 3G+WiFi ($189) with SO ($164).

Has anyone tried registering a SO unit in Canada? Most of the offers above are US oriented though some might work (or could be ordered when travelling). I was hoping they might have SOs tied to Amazon.ca or downloadable items (e.g. discount Kindle books) that would apply to Canada.

Thanks!
=aw

I think I read on SD that you would have to use a proxy to be able to use it.

When do "Upcoming Offers" go live?

Edit: Deleted because I was a confused OP
Thanks for clearing me up Uafgrad!

116sloppyjoe116 said:   Props to Templeboy's post

Link to select titles
1. Purchase at least $10 in Kindle books from our list of thousands of eligible titles available
2. Complete your orders before this promotion expires at 11:59 pm (PDT) on Saturday, July 9, 2011.
3. A $10 Amazon.com Gift Card will be applied to your account after the end of the offer period, but in no event
later than August 9, 2011.

Added to QS

That offer is expired (you can still place your order for the books, but promotional codes are no longer handed out through the SOK). It had to be claimed by June 25th.

I think you are confusing the valid time periods for the claiming of promotional codes, and the using of the codes. If you want to put all codes up that can still be redeemed, there are far more than the ones you posted in the OP. If you just want to post those that Kindle users would see as a new offer on their Kindle, there are currently just 2. There is no way to get promotional codes now to those offers that have expired claim dates.

Possible to convert a regular kindle to a special offers one?

gifpaste said:   Possible to convert a regular kindle to a special offers one?

Amazon will give you 80% of what you paid for your regular Kindle if you return it, which you could then apply towards the purchase of a Special Offer Kindle (SOK). This is what I did as well (I actually received 100% back).

And sloppyjoe, I need to apologize to you. There are indeed 3 current offers. The $5 movie credit, the 200 songs, and a $10 Amazon credit one. I will update the WIKI. It was however not the offer you referred to (that one did expire).

This is the 3rd one:

Use your Visa card to buy select Kindle books and get a $10 Amazon.com credit (Claim by July 21, 2011)
1. Set your default Kindle 1-Click Payment Method to a Visa card in the Manage Your Kindle section on Amazon.com.
2. Purchase one or more qualifying Kindle books.
3. Complete your order before this promotion expires at 11:59 p.m. (PDT) July 31, 2011.
4. A $10 Amazon promotional credit will be applied to your account before August 21, 2011.

uafgrad said:   gifpaste said:   Possible to convert a regular kindle to a special offers one?

Amazon will give you 80% of what you paid for your regular Kindle if you return it, which you could then apply towards the purchase of a Special Offer Kindle (SOK). This is what I did as well.

And sloppyjoe, I need to apologize to you. There are indeed 3 current offers. The $5 movie credit, the 200 songs, and a $10 Amazon credit one. I will update the WIKI. It was however not the offer you referred to (that one did expire).

This is the 3rd one:

Use your Visa card to buy select Kindle books and get a $10 Amazon.com credit (Claim by July 21, 2011)
1. Set your default Kindle 1-Click Payment Method to a Visa card in the Manage Your Kindle section on Amazon.com.
2. Purchase one or more qualifying Kindle books.
3. Complete your order before this promotion expires at 11:59 p.m. (PDT) July 31, 2011.
4. A $10 Amazon promotional credit will be applied to your account before August 21, 2011.

Where does it say that Amazon will give you 80% back for your used Kindle?

mlf50 said:   uafgrad said:   gifpaste said:   Possible to convert a regular kindle to a special offers one?

Amazon will give you 80% of what you paid for your regular Kindle if you return it, which you could then apply towards the purchase of a Special Offer Kindle (SOK). This is what I did as well.

Where does it say that Amazon will give you 80% back for your used Kindle?

Just do a chat with Kindle support and they will authorize it and give you a return label.

NEW OFFER TODAY:
Save $25 on $50 of Baby products from Amazon.com (claim by July 11)
To claim this offer:

1. Visit this page to find eligible Baby products and add $50 or more of merchandise sold by Amazon.com to your Shopping Cart (disposable diapers and wipes, formula, baby food, clothing, and baby care items are not eligible for this promotion).

2. At checkout, enter the following code in the "Gift Cards & Promotional Codes" box:

XXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX

Your $25 discount will be reflected in the "Order Summary" on the final order checkout page.

3. Complete your order before this promotion expires at 11:59 pm (PDT) Thursday, August 11, 2011.

Major Green to the OP... I had no idea the offers were actually this good. Why isn't Amazon promoting this more prominently? As I look down the list more than half of them are things I either have done or would have done.

I do wish they'd let the rest of us opt-in to the offers. Which seems like something they could very well do, as it's all software driven.

MontyBurnsFW said:   Major Green to the OP... I had no idea the offers were actually this good. Why isn't Amazon promoting this more prominently? As I look down the list more than half of them are things I either have done or would have done.

I do wish they'd let the rest of us opt-in to the offers. Which seems like something they could very well do, as it's all software driven.

Just exchange your Kindle for the special offers one. In the end I actually got 100% of my purchase price back, so it was well worth it to me (even though I had had it since last August). Added info on how to do this in the WIKI.

uafgrad said:   
Just exchange your Kindle for the special offers one. In the end I actually got 100% of my purchase price back, so it was well worth it to me (even though I had had it since last August).

I had no idea the special offers would/could be this good.

It's great to hear that it is possible to get 100% of purchase price back to use towards a "Special Offer" Kindle. I'm going to give that a try.

mariag said:   uafgrad said:   
Just exchange your Kindle for the special offers one. In the end I actually got 100% of my purchase price back, so it was well worth it to me (even though I had had it since last August).

I had no idea the special offers would/could be this good.

It's great to hear that it is possible to get 100% of purchase price back to use towards a "Special Offer" Kindle. I'm going to give that a try.

The 100% is definitely a YMMV. An 80% is pretty much guaranteed.

SO, based on this thread, I just did an online chat with Amazon customer service. I told them I wanted to exchange my Kindle 3G for a Kindle 3G with Special Offers. They told me they were very sorry, but items can only be returned or exchanged within 30 days of purchase. And then (verbatim):

Me: Oh, I'm disappointed to hear that. I love the Kindle, but really want the other model. Is there anything you can do for me?

CSR: We are happy to make a one-time exception for this item and allow you to return it for a full refund. Please stand by while I generate a prepaid mailing label for you. You can place a new order for the Kindle 3G With Special Offers at your leisure, or I can help you place the order now if you'd like.

My total time invested was about 3 minutes (and I did it all while watching the space shuttle take off). I have already placed an order for the Kindle with special offers, and Amazon is letting me return my five-month-old Kindle for a full refund.

And that's why I shop at Amazon three times a week.

MontyBurnsFW said:   SO, based on this thread, I just did an online chat with Amazon customer service. I told them I wanted to exchange my Kindle 3G for a Kindle 3G with Special Offers. They told me they were very sorry, but items can only be returned or exchanged within 30 days of purchase. And then (verbatim):

Me: Oh, I'm disappointed to hear that. I love the Kindle, but really want the other model. Is there anything you can do for me?

CSR: We are happy to make a one-time exception for this item and allow you to return it for a full refund. Please stand by while I generate a prepaid mailing label for you. You can place a new order for the Kindle 3G With Special Offers at your leisure, or I can help you place the order now if you'd like.

My total time invested was about 3 minutes (and I did it all while watching the space shuttle take off). I have already placed an order for the Kindle with special offers, and Amazon is letting me return my five-month-old Kindle for a full refund.

And that's why I shop at Amazon three times a week.

Glad you were able to get the 100% as well. That means you actually made some money on the deal (seeing the Special Offer one is cheaper to begin with).

I think this SOK is a smart move on Amazon's part. The offers are so good, that I can see people buying it just for those. Will leave the Nook in the dust IMHO.

Chatting w/Amazon now. They will not let me exchange my 6-month old 3g as a one-time exception. They keep saying sorry, we can't help.

Frustrating, as I have spent over $29,000 with Amazon since joining. Shame, really as the special offer Kindle will net them even more money from me...

coolbreeze said:   Chatting w/Amazon now. They will not let me exchange my 6-month old 3g as a one-time exception. They keep saying sorry, we can't help.

Frustrating, as I have spent over $29,000 with Amazon since joining. Shame, really as the special offer Kindle will net them even more money from me...

Just start over with someone else. And I would approach it like this:
" I am contacting you again about exchanging my Kindle for a Special Offer one. I have decided to go for it. Can you please get the return authorization going and help me place the order for the SOK?""

Don't demand or expect 100% return. In fact, I would bet you get a better response if you tell them you heard about the 80% refund-exchange program and that you would like to take advantage of that.

You are now connected to Amazon.com.

Me:Is it possible to exchange my existing 3g Kindle for 3g "special offers" Kindle?
I know I purchased it well over 30 days ago, but I really do want the special offers version...

CSR:Hello, my name is xxx. We don't have any sort of exchange program so our only option would have been to return the Kindle for a refund. Since the return window has expired give me just a moment and I will see if there are any other options.

Me:Thank you.

CSR:Unfortunately it looks like there isn't a way for us to exchange that Kindle or return it for a refund. But you certainly would be able to sell the Kindle if you wanted and then purchase a new one.

Me:That's a shame. Just recently, a friend of mine was able to get his 6 month old Kindle exchanged as a one-time courtesy.

Just thought I'd check as I am a loyal Amazon customer.

CSR:Well I will be glad to double check again to see if that is something we could do.

CSR:Unfortunately it looks like we are not able to offer any sort of return for a refund or exchange.

Me:I've spent $29,000 since joining Amazon. Not sure why my buddy was allowed a one-time exception just last night. Note taken though. Would calling a manager help?

CSR:I'm not sure what the situation was that caused and exception to be given to your friend but I'd be glad to let you speak with a member of our leadership team, but they would not be able to set up an exchange or refund either.

Mek, I see. Appreciate your help.
I'd still like to speak with a manager.

CSRk give me just a moment and I will get a member of our leadership team that is available to speak with you.
Thank you for holding, my name is xxx a member of the Amazon Leadership team, How can I help you?

Me:I assume you have the background of my question?

CSR:Yes, actually I've been catching up on it, we had purchased a kindle back in Feb. and we were wondering if there is any return options at this time for a refund, is this correct?

Me:I was asking if it would be possible for Amazon to make a one-time exception allowing me to exchange my Kindle 2 3G version for a 3g Kindle special offers edition.
Yes, correct. The reason I am a bit confused is Amazon accommodated this request for a 6-month old Kindle as a one time exception just last evening for a friend of mine. No fuss, no resistance. I just wonder how my situation is so different.
I guess that coupled with the fact that I was one of the first to own the original Kindle and buy practically everything on Amazon (to the tune of $29k and counting...) I though I'd try. I understand your position since the 30-day window is long gone, but the way customer service handles these types of requests is just inconsistent.

CSR:unfortunately, since the kindle is past the 30-day return window there isn't a return option available at this time. I do see that earlier in the chat you had mentioned a friend had this exception made for him and once again unfortunately were not able to see the circumstances in that case. I do apologize. An option for you at this is to sell the used kindle on Amazon and use the proceeds towards the purchase of a new kindle

Me:So much for the "legendary" Kindle department. People say they are so pleasant to work with with situations like this. Obviously I have seen the other side of customer service. Will pass along, thanks.

CSR:I do apologize about any inconvenience this may caused, but since the kindle is outside the return window by 5 months, there really isn't anything we can do at this time. I can pass along your feedback that maybe this is something that Amazon needs to look into, extending out the return policies, I do apologize that this is our only option at this time.

coolbreeze said:   You are now connected to Amazon.com.

Me:Is it possible to exchange my existing 3g Kindle for 3g "special offers" Kindle?
I know I purchased it well over 30 days ago, but I really do want the special offers version...

------

CSR:I do apologize about any inconvenience this may caused, but since the kindle is outside the return window by 5 months, there really isn't anything we can do at this time. I can pass along your feedback that maybe this is something that Amazon needs to look into, extending out the return policies, I do apologize that this is our only option at this time.

The problem I see is that you gave them an option to say 'no'. Look to my post right above yours for suggestions on how to deal with this. Try calling too.

Your CSR sounds a lot like one I dealt with in the past. I wanted the Roku code after the fact (received my Kindle a day late for the code...the main reason I wanted the SOK), and the CSR (named Erik, IIRC) said absolutely not. Asked to speak to team leader, and he said the same (they will always back up CSR). I started a new chat and it was approved immediately.

Good luck!

Thanks OP.

I've been considering buying a Kindle SO, and the current $25 off $50 promo offer in the Baby store makes it more tempting. But, it excludes disposable diapers and wipes, formula, baby food, clothing, and baby care items. Gosh, I can't think of much else besides those particular items that I purchase for my baby.

sherry7 said:   Thanks OP.

I've been considering buying a Kindle SO, and the current $25 off $50 promo offer in the Baby store makes it more tempting. But, it excludes disposable diapers and wipes, formula, baby food, clothing, and baby care items. Gosh, I can't think of much else besides those particular items that I purchase for my baby.

It does include gear, baby bottles, feeding items, baby toys, baby blankets, etc. etc.

Coolbreeze: Sorry it didn't work out. I would suggest calling on the phone -- I think it will be harder for them to shoot you down there.

Also, for what it's worth: The very first thing that happened in my chat was that I was transferred to "Kindle customer service." Not sure if that meant I got a more receptive person or not. (And that may have happened to you, too.)

uafgrad said:   coolbreeze said:   You are now connected to Amazon.com.

------

The problem I see is that you gave them an option to say 'no'. Look to my post right above yours for suggestions on how to deal with this. Try calling too.

Your CSR sounds a lot like one I dealt with in the past. I wanted the Roku code after the fact (received my Kindle a day late for the code...the main reason I wanted the SOK), and the CSR (named Erik, IIRC) said absolutely not. Asked to speak to team leader, and he said the same (they will always back up CSR). I started a new chat and it was approved immediately.

Good luck!

Just tried again. A member from the Kindle team helped me and within seconds, he emailed me a return label and I'm done.

Not sure why the previous CSR and manager were so uptight, but the Kindle support person asked not a single question. My Kindle is on it's way back and the 3g special offers kindle will be here tomorrow.

Easy, peasy.

Edit: Yep, his name was Eric. Pretty black and white kinda guy...not sure Amaz0n would appreciate how "my way or the highway" his way of handling customers. It's not how I think of Amaz0n's service. Yes they are bending the rules quite a bit by taking my 6-month old Kindle back, but in the long run, accommodating such a loyal customer is definitely the right choice.

Here is my chat:

Me:I would like to take advantage of the exchange program you have where you get 80% of what you paid for your kindle so you can buy a special order Kindle. Can you get the process started for me please by generating a return label for my Kindle?
CSR:This is the online return center, just generate a return mailing label and send it back
http://www.amazon.com/gp/orc/returns/homepage.html/ref=orc_surl_...
Me:it isnt that simple, as that only works within 30 days. This is different and only for those of us who prefer a special offer kindle who have had a regular one for longer than 30 days
CSR:Just one second, I'll generate a label for you
Here it is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'll also send it to you via email.
Me:can you reconfirm how much the refund will be?
CSR:It should be 80% of the cost.
Me:and how is that refunded?
CSR:It will go back on the credit card that was used for the order.
Me:thank you! You have a wonderful day, Mr CSR!
CSR:You too, thanks for using Kindle support!
Me:bye!

Like I said, in the end they refunded me 100% of what I had paid originally.

coolbreeze said:   

Edit: Yep, his name was Eric. Pretty black and white kinda guy...not sure Amaz0n would appreciate how "my way or the highway" his way of handling customers. It's not how I think of Amaz0n's service. Yes they are bending the rules quite a bit by taking my 6-month old Kindle back, but in the long run, accommodating such a loyal customer is definitely the right choice.

I guess if anyone wants to try going this route and gets a CSR named Eric, disconnect as fast as you can, and start again.

MontyBurnsFW said:   I have already placed an order for the Kindle with special offers, and Amazon is letting me return my five-month-old Kindle for a full refund. I had a similar experience, yet not quite so fluid. I called Kindle Support and got shot down the first time. Second time I called general customer service who transferred me to Kindle Support. They allowed the exchange and sent me a pre-paid return label. The tech support guy was vague about the amount ofrefund, but he did say that as long as it is in working order, I should receive a full refund. So at the very least, I will get the 80% but it seems like there is a good chance for more. Whole thing took about 20 minutes.

Wish I could do that with my kindle... Alas, I got a first gen kindle 2; that I still love.

Just another big THANK YOU to the OP. Got my Kindle with special offers today. Already took advantage of the one where you get a $10 credit for buying a book. So between the price difference of refunding my "regular" Kindle and taking advantage of this particular promotion, I'm already up $35 for a few minutes of work. The ads seem harmless and unobtrusive, and as stated, don't show up when you're actually reading a book. Thanks again.

By the way, for those wondering: The current $10 promotion is that if you set a Visa card as your 1-click billing method, and then buy a book from the list below, you get a $10 Amazon credit. It's not a huge list, but there are several best selling books on there, really not hard to find something you'll want.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000696651

(Note that they are pretty clear it only works if you have an account that is linked to a Kindle With Special Offers.....)

MontyBurnsFW said:   By the way, for those wondering: The current $10 promotion is that if you set a Visa card as your 1-click billing method, and then buy a book from the list below, you get a $10 Amazon credit. It's not a huge list, but there are several best selling books on there, really not hard to find something you'll want.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000696651

(Note that they are pretty clear it only works if you have an account that is linked to a Kindle With Special Offers.....)

Remember that information is always available in the WIKI (quick summary) as well.

Updated WIKI with new offers.

Here's a couple titles I found that overlap between the $1 offer and the $10 back offer
(please be sure to read the instructions in the QS for both offers carefully)

Hunter Games
Catching Fire (Sequel to Hunter Games)

Note: Links are for reference. Use links from QS and select appropriate book(s).

Easy $9 net

Well folks, this deal just got even hotter. Due to a new sponsorship deal with AT&T, the Kindle 3G with Special Offers is now an additional $25 off. It comes to $139 -- that's $50 cheaper than the non-special offers price (and $25 cheaper than the Kindle With Special Offers I just bought last week!) So, another 3 minutes in online chat, and I got Amazon to refund the price difference. Full transcript is below.

You are now connected to Khaja from Amazon.com.
Me:I just purchased this item four days ago, and now it is $25 cheaper. Can you credit me the difference? If not, can I return the one I purchased, and buy the new one at the lower price?
Khaja:Hello, my name is Khaja. I'll be happy to help you today.
Khaja: Yes, are you referring to order #XX ?
Me:Yes
Khaja:I see that this order is for Kindle device.
Me:Yes
Khaja:Let me connect you to a member of our Kindle team. It will only take a moment.
MeK
A Customer Service Associate will be with you in a moment.
You are now connected to Chandu from Amazon.com.
Chandu:Hello XX. My name is Nayak. I will be happy to help you today.
Please allow me a quick moment to check your order.
Chandu:I'm sorry about the delay; it will just take a moment or two for this information to load.
Thank you for your time.
XX, you can return your Kindle for a full refund. So you can purchase the new one at the lower price.
If you wish, I can even refund your the price difference.
Me:If you can refund the price difference, I would appreciate it.
Chandu:Sure.
Please hold on.
Chandu:Appreciate your patience XX.
Since you were charged a higher price for your Kindle than what is currently being offered, I've issued a refund for the price difference in the amount of $25. You should see the refund in the next two to three business days.
Once processed, you'll be able to see the refund here:
www.amazon.com/gp/css/summary/edit.html?orderID=XX
Is there anything else I can do for you today, XX ?
Me:That's it. Thanks!
Chandu:Its my pleasure. Have yourself a nice day. Thank you for visiting Amazon.com, we hope to see you again soon!

MontyBurnsFW said:   Well folks, this deal just got even hotter. Due to a new sponsorship deal with AT&T, the Kindle 3G with Special Offers is now an additional $25 off. It comes to $139

Just make sure that this is the Kindle you truly want. As discussed in the other thread, the new Kindle is due to come out soon. You won't be able to return this Kindle if you change your mind and would rather have the new one (unless you bought it Target, in which case you have 90 days to return it).

The new Kindle comes out in five months. I guess "soon" is a matter of opinion.

And as you see above, I had no trouble returning my five-month-old Kindle.

MontyBurnsFW said:   The new Kindle comes out in five months. I guess "soon" is a matter of opinion.

And as you see above, I had no trouble returning my five-month-old Kindle.

The new Kindle will come out before October (scheduled to come out in the 3rd quarter according to Amazon). And Amazon won't allow you to return an old version for a new version (unless it is within 30 days). Just like gen 2 Kindle owners cannot return theirs for the SOK.

Skipping 291 Messages...
c3 said:   $3 off Amazon Instant Video. Claim by 5/6. Use by 6/6. Strange. I don't have that one. Only an offer for AmazonLocal.

EDIT: nevermind, it just took a while to load all the deals I guess. Thanks, I got it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.