• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
medialink said:   For things that are not important, USPS is OK. But if you have something important, forget it. Most mail boxes, especially for businesses, are the 4"x4" metal postal boxes. They don't believe in "deliver in person" service anymore, like FedEx or UPS. How can you fit any of the Priority or Expess USPS packs in there. Well in my area they really try to fit it in. I ordered 5 software CD's twice. And twice it was delivered USPS Priority. And twice they were stuffed into my small mail box damaging the contents. If their postal box was full, they would not even deliver it until there was enough space. I tried to talk to the Supervisor and they were always "OUT to LUNCH".

So I explained to the Postman, if someone mails something Priority or Express, it must be pretty important. Why would you want to delay, bend, fold or stuff it?

My Postman is a great guy and he listened, but they still have to always hand deliver to the door to compete with FedEx or UPS, (are you listening USPS)?

Put a sign on the box

Do not stuff an item in here, do not bend an item to put in here

I remember when the large Flat Rate boxes cost $7.70 to ship...I used to ship some heavy crap in those!

MaxRC said:   Let me summarize:

1. You have to buy postage for this online or through one of their partners like Pitney Bowes or Stamps.com. You can't just walk into a post office and say "what do I owe you"?
2. There is *NOTHING* regional about the regional boxes. you can send a package clear across the country or even to Alaska if you want to.

So is there any way to use this rate if you do not pay a monthly fee to someone? Amazon doesn't let you use this rate and you can't buy it through the USPS site.

For #2, are you saying that even though the rate is supposedly for regional shipping, that you actually use it for cross-country shipments? Doesn't that violate some USPS term/agreement? What can they do if they actually look at what's being done?

USPS rules

You can use this rate without paying a monthly/subscription fee. You just have to purchase postage online. You can do so via USPS.com Click-n-Ship.

Per the Domestic Mail Manual 423.1.1, "Regional Rate Box prices are not based on weight but are priced based on the particular USPS-produced Box A or Box B and the zone to which it is sent."

billrubin said:   

For #2, are you saying that even though the rate is supposedly for regional shipping, that you actually use it for cross-country shipments? Doesn't that violate some USPS term/agreement? What can they do if they actually look at what's being done?

It's "regional" in the sense that you pay a flat rate that is based on the region it is being mailed to

I use flat rate/regional boxes all the time for "regular" USPS priority shipments. So if I am shipping a 2lb package that would cost $7.00 but it fits in a meduim priority box that would cost 10.95, I just slap a 2lb label on it. As long as it's shipping priority, they have no problem with it

freakinout said:   
I use flat rate/regional boxes all the time for "regular" USPS priority shipments. So if I am shipping a 2lb package that would cost $7.00 but it fits in a meduim priority box that would cost 10.95, I just slap a 2lb label on it. As long as it's shipping priority, they have no problem with it
We tried this a few times and each time the boxes were returned to us for additional postage. Makes no sense to us at all. Very sad. So we stopped doing it.

Good explanation on the "regional" aspect of the regional boxes, that makes a lot of sense. I never saw it that way.

billrubin said:   MaxRC said:   Let me summarize:

1. You have to buy postage for this online or through one of their partners like Pitney Bowes or Stamps.com. You can't just walk into a post office and say "what do I owe you"?
2. There is *NOTHING* regional about the regional boxes. you can send a package clear across the country or even to Alaska if you want to.

So is there any way to use this rate if you do not pay a monthly fee to someone? Amazon doesn't let you use this rate and you can't buy it through the USPS site.
You can purchase postage for this directly through USPS' website. Or PayPal if you have a PayPal account. Both are no fee, and in fact you'll get a discount versus the retail counter rate. You don't purchase postage specifically for the regional boxes, instead you just purchase a 2 pound label for the smaller boxes and a 4 pound label for the larger boxes, even if the actual weight is more.

For #2, are you saying that even though the rate is supposedly for regional shipping, that you actually use it for cross-country shipments? Doesn't that violate some USPS term/agreement? What can they do if they actually look at what's being done?USPS's terms and conditions for the regional boxes does not mention anything about the boxes being limited to local or regional use. You can use it to ship anywhere in the country and USPS is perfectly fine with it. That's why they actually provide a fee table for the regional boxes including prices for shipping across the country.

yesidonoitall said:   You may find these boxes at your local PO. (in the lobby along with the other PM stuff)
Customers bring them in, either they get them and do not use them, or order for others as a courtesy.

It's usually because you have to order them in set quantities even if you only want 1 or 2. I'm surprised they don't let the USPS post offices order and stock them for customers (except for the flat rate boxes apparently).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014