• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Another thing... They will quote you to install subfloor as they can't tell the condition of it, if you have carpet, or if it needs leveling.

Make sure you buy your own underlayment (the $25 roll, unless you are going over concrete and then you need the $100 roll)
And doorjambs, vent cuts, thresholds, quarter round molding, etc.

rsuaver said:   Another thing... They will quote you to install subfloor as they can't tell the condition of it, if you have carpet, or if it needs leveling.

Make sure you buy your own underlayment (the $25 roll, unless you are going over concrete and then you need the $100 roll)
And doorjambs, vent cuts, thresholds, quarter round molding, etc.

Underlayment is much cheaper @ Amazon

Link

rsuaver said:   jimates said:   wakemaker said:   Use the $400 and buy a few good tools and do it yourself.

I recently did close to 2k sq ft. If you are replacing carpet you will need quarter round to finish off the laminate.
Which means air nailing, caulk, and paint. Probably not covered in an HD offer.

Rooms go fast until you get to door jambs, then it's like a Rubik's cube to figure out how to slide pieces under to avoid gaps showing. Not counting a door jamb, I could do a 12 x 15 room in about an hour. A door jamb could take an hour by itself.
Get one of these multi tools for $20 and put those door jambs to shame. LINK Just use a scrap piece of flooring for thickness and cut the jambs off. No gaps to show.

I really do not know how I got along for 40 years without one.

Not quite... The laminate installs in angle. You need to trim the lip so it goes in flush.

I just installed some laminate and getting this tool (Craftsman has one just like it that I got on sale for $65) makes the job much much easier to slide the piece under the door jamb...cutting it by hand took forever while using this tool took less than one minute...

rsuaver said:   .....The laminate installs in angle. You need to trim the lip so it goes in flush.

Exactly. There's an angle to install the piece of laminate and trimming the lip sometimes works. I cut the door jambs by using a piece of laminate as a jig to undercut. Even then, there can still be a puzzle as how to get the laminate under the jamb with the angles of installing the overlapping interlocking pieces of laminate.

The quarter round I used was pre-primed and then painted to match the baseboard. Much cheaper than new baseboard.

lol my parents so could have used this last month!

With my install I was avoiding seams at each room.

I went to my local stores in Portland oregon and this is not available.

jimates said:   wakemaker said:   Use the $400 and buy a few good tools and do it yourself.

I recently did close to 2k sq ft. If you are replacing carpet you will need quarter round to finish off the laminate.
Which means air nailing, caulk, and paint. Probably not covered in an HD offer.

Rooms go fast until you get to door jambs, then it's like a Rubik's cube to figure out how to slide pieces under to avoid gaps showing. Not counting a door jamb, I could do a 12 x 15 room in about an hour. A door jamb could take an hour by itself.
Get one of these multi tools for $20 and put those door jambs to shame. LINK Just use a scrap piece of flooring for thickness and cut the jambs off. No gaps to show.

I really do not know how I got along for 40 years without one.

Yup, great tool for $20. I've used the expensive brand name before
and this is one is sure worth the $20.

wakemaker said:   rsuaver said:   .....The laminate installs in angle. You need to trim the lip so it goes in flush.

Exactly. There's an angle to install the piece of laminate and trimming the lip sometimes works. I cut the door jambs by using a piece of laminate as a jig to undercut. Even then, there can still be a puzzle as how to get the laminate under the jamb with the angles of installing the overlapping interlocking pieces of laminate.

The quarter round I used was pre-primed and then painted to match the baseboard. Much cheaper than new baseboard.

Little off topic.
I see that your pic has marble/granite to wood floor. Is there a way to get rid of the plank between the two?
I am looking to redo my kitchen wooden floor with granite/marble and do not want the plank in between. thanks

Pun said:   wakemaker said:   rsuaver said:   .....The laminate installs in angle. You need to trim the lip so it goes in flush.

Little off topic.
I see that your pic has marble/granite to wood floor. Is there a way to get rid of the plank between the two?
I am looking to redo my kitchen wooden floor with granite/marble and do not want the plank in between. thanks

That plank is called a transition piece...If you install a floating floor (laminate), you will need a small gap (about 1/4") to allow the wood to expand and contract and using a transition piece will cover this gap...also, this transition strip can cover the difference in height if the two surface (wood/tile) are not the same height...

spacejamz said:   Pun said:   wakemaker said:   rsuaver said:   .....The laminate installs in angle. You need to trim the lip so it goes in flush.

Little off topic.

That plank is called a transition piece...If you install a floating floor (laminate), you will need a small gap (about 1/4") to allow the wood to expand and contract and using a transition piece will cover this gap...also, this transition strip can cover the difference in height if the two surface (wood/tile) are not the same height...

I have a hardwood floor and I would like to install marble in my kitchen without the transition piece. I've seen some apt with it. Is it difficult to do without installing the wood floors again? TIA

Ehem, going back to the topic:

michaelm69 said:   I went to my local hd today in so. Calif. And the special order desk had no idea what I was talking bout even the store manager said they had nothing coming from hq about this type of deal

Do u have a copy of the deal anywhere online or can you post a copy of the re kept if u ended up doing it

Thx

kya13jer said:   I went to my local stores in Portland oregon and this is not available.

We got the same type of reply here in San Diego, actually we got the "know nothin' about it". He showed the printout of this topic that we brought in to two other salespersons and they repeated "know nothin' about it". He then took us to the order desk and the lady (manager?) has not heard about it.

OP: is there anyway you could find out a little more detail information for us? It may also just be local to your HD. We would appreciate it very much
Thanks!

I went to my local hd today in so. Calif. And the special order desk had no idea what I was talking bout even the store manager said they had nothing coming from hq about this type of deal

Do u have a copy of the deal anywhere online or can you post a copy of the re kept if u ended up doing it

Thx

HD Sign
Disclaimer

HD Flyer
Disclaimer
I was actually the OP on SD... I placed an order, the offer is regional (I am in south FL)
$397 is for basic install of special order laminate, normally $2/sf
$35 and Home Depot will come out and measure. The next day they will email you a very detailed and itemized quote. You can call the 800 number till 10 at night to adjust it, and within minutes they email you an updated quote. Pretty impressive to me. Here is a detailed listing of the other fee's.

- $ 79 Delivery Fee (to the driveway)
- $ 20 2nd person fee if > 20 items
- $ 1.50 per piece Carry in Fee.
- $ 50 Heavy furniture fee (per room)
- $ 50 Excess furniture fee (per room, if over six pieces)
- $ .38 per sf to rip up and haul away carpet
- $112.50 per step, on box steps
- $ 1.25 per sf to have them install shoe moulding / quarter round

mikeshecky said:   I was actually the OP on SD... I placed an order, the offer is regional (I am in south FL)
$397 is for basic install of special order laminate, normally $2/sf
$35 and Home Depot will come out and measure. The next day they will email you a very detailed and itemized quote. You can call the 800 number till 10 at night to adjust it, and within minutes they email you an updated quote. Pretty impressive to me. Here is a detailed listing of the other fee's.

- $ 79 Delivery Fee (to the driveway)
- $ 20 2nd person fee if > 20 items
- $ 1.50 per piece Carry in Fee.
- $ 50 Heavy furniture fee (per room)
- $ 50 Excess furniture fee (per room, if over six pieces)
- $ .38 per sf to rip up and haul away carpet
- $112.50 per step, on box steps
- $ 1.25 per sf to have them install shoe moulding / quarter round

any one can figure out the actual cost for a normal house floor like 600.00 sf?

So the total that you paid was $397? I am a little confused.
I am so sorry for the dumb question, but I am very interested

marbs1307 said:   So the total that you paid was $397? I am a little confused.
I am so sorry for the dumb question, but I am very interested

It is $397 to install laminate, as many square feet as you would like. It is normally $2/sf, so your savings varies with the size of your install.
I broke out the additional fee's to help answer questions people were having. $397 is for the basic install. To judge what your cost would be, ask yourself if you want to pay Home Depot to do the following, if you can/want to do it yourself, or do you want to hire someone else at a lower cost to do these other parts of the install?
- Do you want HD to deliver it to your house? And bring it in? Or do you want to pick it up from your store yourself when it comes in?
- Do you want HD to rip up and remove your old floor? Or do you want to do it yourself?
- Do you want HD to move your furniture for you?
- Do you want HD to install the quarter round?
- Do you have stairs?

Each of these above items have an additional charge, or you can do it yourself. I hope that helped clarify the previous two questions.

I've installed laminate flooring in 5 of my rental properties, Pergo and Sams Club brands. These are my tools to get the job done easily and quickly, 7" sliding miter saw (planks are 6-7", a 10" saw doesn't cut all the way through), Dremel multi-max or other oscillating tool (undercutting door jams), laminate install kit or 1/8" shims, and a hammer. If the span is over 10', you really need a helper. I do one full length strip at a time. For the shoe molding, I use the white PVC, if baseboards are white. Don't have to paint it, and easy to clean.

Hi all, wanted to let you know that I am in the process of getting the $397 install deal. BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We paid $5,200 for materials, including quarter round and transition pieces. We waited 4 weeks for the backordered material to come in from China, which we were notified of 5 days after the order was placed and the payment cleared. Today the installers came in for the 1st day of an 1800 sq. ft. install project, and let us know within the first hour that our $397 install was actually going to be an additioanl $4,400 for floor prep. Please note that even though Home Depot does not explain or even GIVE A COMPLETE QUOTE, most floors need to be prepped with concrete patching on concrete subfloor, and oftentimes new plywood for wooden subfloors that have ANY "voids" at all... meaning if they are not perfectly flat.

After calling around all over town for outside flooring contractors to do the floor prep at a lower cost, no one else can do it. Want to know why? Because almost all contractors in town are signed on with Home Depot to cover the extra demand for their cheap floor installation deal. If they are working with Home Depot, the can't do any outside work for the same client if they know it's a Home Depot job.

Think this deal is too good to be true? ...so did we.. and it is. True bait and switch. My best advice... get the flooring from somewhere else at a much lower cost, and pay for a true floor installation which most times INCLUDES floor prep.

I am in the process of getting my whole house downstairs done in laminate. I pd for the $35.00 measurement fee and measure comp has came out and measured my home. I found a laminate online exclusive for $0.94 sq ft. Home Depot rep. does not know what the hell they are doing. I am still awaiting a call back to see if I can purchase that product and pay for it thru their $397 for whole house special. It should not be a problem since it is a special order item. And I have already informed them that I don't want them to do any extras. No corner rounds to take the price up. No nothing else just the $397. If any of you decide to get this done be aware that they will try to add all the extras to make your price increase.

Someone asked about what 600sq ft goes for? For 531sq Ft we paid 1400 for the actual 25 year laminate and the rest of the flooring like transition pieces, molding , underlayment ect came to came to 1257. The labor was 537. We had already removed the carpeting and tacks and furniture which they will charge you for. We had a step involved which they charged us 140 They did let us use the 10% off moving coupon from Lowes. They initially charged something stupid for delivery but my brother had a big van and he went to HD,opened up his van and told them to load it up while he sat there and watched. he unloaded it though. They also force you to have them install shoe molding as they proclaim it voids the warranty. A bunch of BS but they won't budge. They also oversold us on underlayment and we downgraded to a medium. It started off at around 3500 and it was down to 2800 w/o labor.

It was a nightmare. They charge 35 to come and give an estimate which they do take off the invoice. They showed up, laid everything except the hallway and then said, the floor is too uneven and we can't lay the rest . Told us it would be another $700 to level it and walked off the job. HD proceeded to offer us a $35 refund or we could have carpeting installed. My brother knows a builder who came over and looked at and said it would only take 2-3 buckets of self leveler and he could level it and lay the rest for $200. To make a long story short, my brother worked as a store manager in retail for 30 years and somehow got thru to the District Manager and told him that that was all the money we had and he expected the job done and if he did not call him back by 5:00 the next day, he was going to put in a dispute with the cc company. The DM called back and OK's everything, told the installer to get over there in 2 days and the job was done. The installers did do a good job though. They did use some sort of dremal saw to cut the door moldings as HD told us to put the moldings to the floor which was not accurate. Long story short, it would have been cheaper thru a flooring company. Everyone just points the finger at each other. If your house is really unlevel, it may be cheaper to install hardwood flooring.

kellysimpsonastic said:   Hi all, wanted to let you know that I am in the process of getting the $397 install deal. BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We paid $5,200 for materials, including quarter round and transition pieces. We waited 4 weeks for the backordered material to come in from China, which we were notified of 5 days after the order was placed and the payment cleared. Today the installers came in for the 1st day of an 1800 sq. ft. install project, and let us know within the first hour that our $397 install was actually going to be an additioanl $4,400 for floor prep. Please note that even though Home Depot does not explain or even GIVE A COMPLETE QUOTE, most floors need to be prepped with concrete patching on concrete subfloor, and oftentimes new plywood for wooden subfloors that have ANY "voids" at all... meaning if they are not perfectly flat.

After calling around all over town for outside flooring contractors to do the floor prep at a lower cost, no one else can do it. Want to know why? Because almost all contractors in town are signed on with Home Depot to cover the extra demand for their cheap floor installation deal. If they are working with Home Depot, the can't do any outside work for the same client if they know it's a Home Depot job.

Think this deal is too good to be true? ...so did we.. and it is. True bait and switch. My best advice... get the flooring from somewhere else at a much lower cost, and pay for a true floor installation which most times INCLUDES floor prep.

We had a similar problem but not as big of an area. They tried to get $700 out of us to level plywood in the hallway. They eventually did come out and fix it for free. I have a hard time understanding why we pay $35 for some expert to give us an estimate and then try to tack on more money. The estimator was from the installation company and he should know his job otherwise what are we paying him for? If you can't find anyone else, then maybe try to return it and get hardwood if that is an option for you as the floor does not need to be as level.

Another way they level flooring is by using shingles and roof tarp to feather out the shingles. You can google it.

When I had hardwood installed in the kitchen they used roof tarp as a moisture barrier. The installer said he had tried everything and this worked the best.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014