• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
So I called my insurance State Farm yesterday about getting a discount on my insurance since I have OnStar. They do not offer a discount, however, the receptionist told me to call OnStar at 1-888-466-7827 and tell them I want the one year free trial because I have State Farm. The first guy said, "I'm not sure, let me put you on hold while I talk to someone." He transferred me and this girl quickly gave me the one year free trial of the Safe and Sound plan. It was quick and easy! She didn't even ask me for my insurance information.

Member Summary

OnStar
Thanks DevilMonkey
Disclaimer
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

So you were an existing customer? And were eligible to take advantage of this promo?

FYI
Nothing is free in life,
This is how they know what type or risk, of driver you are.
Then they adjust your rate accordingly.

lemonhead said:   So you were an existing customer? And were eligible to take advantage of this promo?

I bought my car a year ago so I already had a one year free trial from Chevy. I was going to do the 14 month deal I found on the forum, but decided to call my insurance to see if I would get a discount on my auto insurance to which I got a no. On the bright side I get another year of on star for free.

mminauro1 said:   FYI
Nothing is free in life,
This is how they know what type or risk, of driver you are.
Then they adjust your rate accordingly.

Are you saying they track your driving through On Star who reports how you drive to State Farm who then raises your rates? That sounds illegal.

Calle OnStar today. When I asked if they had the one year free for State Farm customers they said 'yes.' However, after "checking their resources" they said that we were already given one year of OnStar service and are still under that one year. I told them that the one year we have was under a different promotion. Nonetheless, they would not add an additional year. I'll call back when our first year expires in October.

Well, my State Farm DOES give discounts to OnStar users!
I also called OnStar and was told that this offer is only good for GM owners who have INACTIVE Onstar service and have a coupon code from State Farm so it looks like this is a very YMMV!

I just called and talked to "eric". He said it was correct, that that was part of the drive safe and save State Farm promo. But he told me that to get it I would have to press the blue onstar button on my car with it running. have not tried it yet, but will.

edited to say I called back and talked to "chuck", he confirmed that I could get this even if I participated in the free 6 months by pressing to win the car promotion. He said that the one year would start when my other one ends, in late sept. and be good for a year. he also said that all they tell state farm is if we have an active subscription and if we are enrolled in the diag. support emails.(true or not, I don't know.) he also said to do it by pressing the blue button.

That Was Easy
Disclaimer
Thanks OP

(bump) Wondering if anyone else has taken advantage of this awesome deal?

Here's the link for information regarding the State Farm Drive Safe & Save promotion. Hope this helps score a discount or free trial!

Just got the same deal $149, 14 months, 100 minutes. (Just say you are going to cancel and keep turning down till you get it.)

Tried getting the offer today and was refused. They said it is only valid for OnStar accounts that have been deactivated. I suggested they cancel me today and I will call back tomorrow to take the offer and was told that would not work either - account needs to be inactive at least 30 days. Asked to talk to a supervisor who said that State Farm may be able to do something to get me the deal - but OnStar can't.

Sounds like a runaround. Will contact State Farm and see what they can do (probably nothing) - in which case I will probably just cancel OnStar altogether and go back to using cell phone and Garmin

Just called today and had the free year added. According to OnStar, our account had not expired, even though the website said that it did. Originally they told me that I had to be in the car to activate the free year. However, with a little prodding they were able to do it over the phone. Thanks OP!

OnStar Begins Spying On Customers’ GPS Location For Profit?

Check out this Blog... Kind of explains why State farm is buying Onstar for non-users.
Onstars terms and conditions have changed! It will go into effect in December. I received an offer in the mail and was about to sign up when a light bulb came on and an old voice from the past.... "there's no free lunch" and "if it sounds too good to be true..." It also states that even if you deactivate the service afer this goes into effect in Dec. they can still gather (and sell) your GPS info. No prob for anyone who doesn't care about privacy!! Sign up and get charged one way or another!

http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=1270

I think Im going to gut my Onstar system

dukbarr said:   It also states that even if you deactivate the service afer this goes into effect in Dec. they can still gather (and sell) your GPS info.
Old news, also old news that they reversed this policy: Link

OnStar shot me down for this because I was in my initial trial. They claimed that I wasn't eligible because I got an extended trial. My account just expired so I'm waiting until two weeks pass to hit the blue button and try and sign up again. I think the rep was wrong, but, I wasn't in the mood to bother asking again.

Thanks OP !

Got 1 year free on my GF's Car. Hers expired a month ago and they fired up the one year no problem.

Told em my "SF agent" told me I should call.

Thanks again !!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.