• filter:
  • 148 49 50515269
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
garriew said:   Doing a charge back is pretty lame. It's not the merchants fault. Besides, most the rebates say they are for the end user only and prohibit resellers. Can't really blame them...
Rebates may be provided by a manufacturer or they may be provided by a merchant.  In most cases, rebates are physically processed by fulfillment companies like Parago, Velocity, etc. who are hired by the manufacturer or merchant to do so on their behalf..  Consequently, the ultimate responsibility for payment is on the manufacturer or merchant offering the rebate.  If you can't resolve the problem with the rebate processor, then the real fight is with entity who is offering the rebate.  In most cases, I've gotten results by calling the manufacturer's corporate office or the merchant's head office.  Sometimes they contacted their processor and instructed them to approve and pay the rebate and other times they simply sent me a check directly.

In the cases I sought resolution via disputing a credit card charge, the rebates were provided by a merchant who refused to pay their own rebate.  As such, I felt the rebate was part of the actual sale (assuming I had fully complied with the T&C, which I had).  Visa and Discover still wouldn't get involved.  Fortunately for me, both rebates ultimately got paid following a lot of bad press and complaints to the BBB and the state's Attorney General.

rated:
I agree with RonR above and think that doing a chargeback is a low-blow to the retailer, but contacting the retailer and complaining to them that you were not able to get the rebate that they advertised might be effective.  For example, if Newegg got a bunch of complaints from customers saying "hey, you advertised a Webroot rebate and Webroot refused to pay out the rebate", Newegg might contact parago and/or Webroot and fix the problem.  If there were enough complaints, Newegg might even threaten to stop selling Webroot or advertising their rebates.

However, Webroot is the one that is primarily at fault here and that should be the first point of contact in your complaint.

rated:
RonR said:   
  That's different than most/all of the ones being banned and I would agree with you.

I've done 10 or so Panda rebates in the last year so I expect a "banned" letter. But I didn't take advantage of everyone that was on NE.  I tend to skip a few months between them so maybe I wont be.

rated:
garriew said:   
RonR said:   

That's different than most/all of the ones being banned and I would agree with you.

I've done 10 or so Panda rebates in the last year so I expect a "banned" letter. But I didn't take advantage of everyone that was on NE.  I tend to skip a few months between them so maybe I wont be.

Or maybe you will be.  I've done less Webroot than almost any other brand of software.  Less than Panda for sure. 

rated:
Either way, it's a "game" I chose to play so I can't scream foul.

rated:
I haven't received a banned letter yet but I do many rebates. I sent in a Webroot rebate a few weeks ago, haven't gotten a status yet. I also just ordered one that came in the mail, what to do...

rated:
matrix5k said:   I haven't received a banned letter yet but I do many rebates. I sent in a Webroot rebate a few weeks ago, haven't gotten a status yet. I also just ordered one that came in the mail, what to do...
  Maybe spread them out a little so when you get banned, you won't lose as much?

rated:
1 to add today.

McAfee Total Protection 2013 - 3 PCs
$65 - $65 MIR exp 10/3/13

remember McAfee rebates have the recommendation of limit 1 rebate/product/name/address/yr (parago might be changing the focus to Webroot and norton and be easing up on enforcement for McAfee, but better be safe than sorry)

rated:
VivYip said:   1 to add today.

McAfee Total Protection 2013 - 3 PCs 
$65 - $65 MIR  exp 10/3/13

remember McAfee rebates have the recommendation of limit 1 rebate/product/name/address/yr (parago might be changing the focus to Webroot and norton and be easing up on enforcement for McAfee, but better be safe than sorry)

Yeah, I've done a few McAfee lately without incident but who knows? YMMV on any of these now. 

rated:
and one to add at night

AVG AntiVirus 2013 - 3 PC
$25 -* $25 MIR card exp 9/26/13

(note: avg rebates rebate forms now have the following: limit 1 rebate/product/name/address/12 months)

rated:
I've been cut off from my last Webroot rebate too.  So $65 plus the two I just sent.  It's $140 plus the stamps.  I chatted with Parago and they say it's completely out of their hands.  So once a software maker pulls the plug on you for rebates, Parago stops honoring them until the maker says different.  So you are effectively banned for life. 

rated:
You don NOT want to deal with Webroot.  They are frauds.  They responded to my BBB complaint saying I redeemed 12 rebates and so I am not entitled to more.  They said using multiple addresses is a crime.  I have proof, I never used any other address.  They said I had not activated the last two products so I wasn't eligible for the rebates.  It says nothing about having to activate the product for the rebate.  

rated:
Clearly states in the terms: "Product must be activated prior to rebate redemption"

rated:
Yes, the terms of Webroot rebates have had the activation clause in the rebate terms since May/June, possibly earlier. I returned some to Newegg instead of sending in the rebates because of it.

rated:
Rebates have been slowly dying ever since people started going public with how much money they were making,

Symantec was the first to respond with the audit but in hindsight seem to be the most 'honest' company with (reasonably) clear limit's and after honoring 'audited' rebates. However their rebates do seem much rarer now
Kaspersky came next by adding full box top & bottom requirements.

And now Panda, Sony & Webroot have brought their own brand of rebate denial. I dare say you can add Trend Micro to the list very soon.

I've been doing about 10k in rebates since 2007 but really dialed it back in January after the Symantec audit.
I just cancelled my order for a Trend Micro. That just leaves me with a few outstanding Kaspersky rebates. Definitely time to (almost) quit (while I'm ahead).

rated:
Yup - I loaded up the cart to use the 20% for a MM, and then realized that I have churned about $2K in the last six months alone on FAR stuff without being burned. I figured I should quit (well, cool it) while I was ahead.

rated:
passion124 said:   Clearly states in the terms: "Product must be activated prior to rebate redemption"
  1.  I'm on the road so I can't check, but I didn't see that on the DVD or retail rebates.  
2. Every product has been activated by the time the rebate was applied for. 

But of course that's why I was audited.  The registration info didn't match the rebate info and it's why they started requiring registration.   Effectively you cannot resell Webroot at all.   And you can't buy several copies for personal use either.  

rated:
FYI, got pulled copywrite violation on eBay for selling Nero Burn Express 2.  Listed it on Amazon instead.  Add nero to the list of no eBay sales.  

rated:
weird I've listed a Nero BE2 once or twice and it wasn't flagged. How is the selling on Amazon process? I've got a nod32 lying around that I know doesn't fly on eBay

rated:
Jagd said:   Rebates have been slowly dying ever since people started going public with how much money they were making,
  Yes, that was one of those profoundly stupid things that you see people do. And now it's going to cost him his lucrative business.

rated:
recent rebate terms of neither Webroot, nor any other anti-virus softwares needed activation. please let me know, if i am wrong.

rated:
morning

2 to add for today

AVG PC TuneUp - 3 PCs 
$20 - $20 MIR card  exp 10/3/13

AVG Internet Security 2013 - 3 PCs 
$40 - $40 MIR card  exp 10/3/13

AVG rebate are limit 1 rebate/product/name/address/12 months

update 7am:

credit faregg

Panda Antivirus Pro 2014 - 3 PCs
$15 - $15 MIR exp 10/3/13

rated:
IndianInUSA said:   recent rebate terms of neither Webroot, nor any other anti-virus softwares needed activation. please let me know, if i am wrong.
No, this is wrong, technically - activation has been required on Webroot rebates for months now.. It's toward the end of the T&C - starts in the 2nd half of the 3rd to last line of the form I'm looking at. "The product must be activated prior to rebate redemption." I believe this has not been enforced up to this point, but is now appearing as a reason given for denials retroactively, if you are/were flagged by Webroot for possible fraud.

rated:
Just got my $12 Cooler Master x-lite cooling pad visa rebate card (bought it in July during the Newegg mobile/Google wallet promo) -- interesting thing with this rebate card is that it mentions 5% back at select retailers

Searched online and found this:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/intelispend-announces-5-back-on-universally-accepted-visa-prepaid-cards-223931721.html      
http://intelispend.com/products/how-they-are-built/options/5-back/      

Looks like it started recently so not sure if it'll only apply to select prepaid cards (like the Cooler Master branded rebate card I just got) or if it'll also apply to Newegg branded rebate cards as well (same rebate processor). I have a few Newegg rebates coming within the next few weeks so I'll wait and see -- will be nice if they give 5% on those as well

rated:
PennDisc said:   
IndianInUSA said:   recent rebate terms of neither Webroot, nor any other anti-virus softwares needed activation. please let me know, if i am wrong.
No, this is wrong, technically - activation has been required on Webroot rebates for months now.. It's toward the end of the T&C - starts in the 2nd half of the 3rd to last line of the form I'm looking at. "The product must be activated prior to rebate redemption." I believe this has not been enforced up to this point, but is now appearing as a reason given for denials retroactively, if you are/were flagged by Webroot for possible fraud.

I really wish someone had done a heads up on this, I never would have done Webroot rebates at all. 

rated:
clearanceman said:   
PennDisc said:   

I really wish someone had done a heads up on this, I never would have done Webroot rebates at all. 

I did, back on June 12. I got my rebate without activating. But who knows about now.

rated:
matrix5k said:   
clearanceman said:   
PennDisc said:   

I did, back on June 12. I got my rebate without activating. But who knows about now.

I'm sure the people that I sold them to activated it.  But their info was different than my rebate info and that's certainly how they flagged me. 

rated:
clearanceman said:     I'm sure the people that I sold them to activated it.  But their info was different than my rebate info and that's certainly how they flagged me. 

Do they have any way to identify your activation codes that other people activated? Or could you plausibly say that you still have all of the copies buried in your basement somewhere?

rated:
PennDisc said:   
clearanceman said:     I'm sure the people that I sold them to activated it.  But their info was different than my rebate info and that's certainly how they flagged me. 
Do they have any way to identify your activation codes that other people activated? Or could you plausibly say that you still have all of the copies buried in your basement somewhere?

Doesn't matter, they have made it clear that they will never pay me and I am banned forever from their rebates.  YMMV, but I wouldn't touch Webroot or Panda with a ten foot pole and I've never been banned by Panda but other people got letters. 

rated:
Why can't we submit multiple software rebates/yr and needs to be activated? Why this rule by them unlike other FAR products? I think Newegg should look into this issue, as most of these softwares are so artificially expensive as they give for FAR.

rated:
IndianInUSA said:   Why can't we submit multiple software rebates/yr and needs to be activated? Why this rule by them unlike other FAR products? I think Newegg should look into this issue, as most of these softwares are so artificially expensive as they give for FAR.

I think it's to prevent exactly what you're doing--reselling it.

rated:
I never bought same software more than one per yr, unlike other FAR products. I just wanted to know the reason. I wonder who will buy them for some $ when it's available as FAR?

rated:
IndianInUSA said:   I never bought same software more than one per yr, unlike other FAR products. I just wanted to know the reason. I wonder who will buy them for some $ when it's available as FAR?
  Almost everyone. A lot of people forget or don't bother doing them too.

rated:
Someone shut me down on eBay for selling OEM Webroot.  Anyone sell it on Amazon?  So far ESET and Nero have to go on Amazon?  OEM Webroot too?  Although this is my last one to sell ever. 

rated:
garriew said:   
IndianInUSA said:   I never bought same software more than one per yr, unlike other FAR products. I just wanted to know the reason. I wonder who will buy them for some $ when it's available as FAR?
  Almost everyone. A lot of people forget or don't bother doing them too.

Honestly, selling on eBay at all is getting to be a waste of time unless you have a manufactured product of some sort you can actually make a profit on. 

rated:
clearanceman said:   Someone shut me down on eBay for selling OEM Webroot.  Anyone sell it on Amazon?  So far ESET and Nero have to go on Amazon?  OEM Webroot too?  Although this is my last one to sell ever. 
  OEM is suppose to be sold with hardware.

rated:
garriew said:   
clearanceman said:   Someone shut me down on eBay for selling OEM Webroot.  Anyone sell it on Amazon?  So far ESET and Nero have to go on Amazon?  OEM Webroot too?  Although this is my last one to sell ever. 
  OEM is suppose to be sold with hardware.

Yes, I know that.  I didn't list it as OEM and there are dozens of OEM Webroot sold every day on eBay not listed as OEM.  But you know this.  eBay selectively enforces the rules as competitors turn each other in. 

rated:
got all cord rebates....2 months to the day

they were supposed to send visas but they sent checks

rated:
morning!

2 to add for today

KASPERSKY lab Anti-Virus 2013 - 3 PCs
$40 - $40 MIR exp 10/10/13

McAfee All Access 2013 - Individual 
$70 - $70 MIR card exp 10/10/13

rated:
Kaspersky!  One of the only ones that still allows actual rebates!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 148 49 50515269
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014