• filter:
  • 119 20 21222368
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
youngcoolguy said:   Has anyone tried selling ESET software on eBay? I advertised mine on eBay, and indicated that it would ship in the original retail box (except UPC had been removed). I got a Vero notice removing the listing on the alleged ground that it was a violation of the license agreement. Well, since the license agreement is not printed on the box, I don't see how I am bound by it. I looked up how to challenge a Vero, and it seems that you're supposed to file a counter-notice, but since ESET is a British company, apparently the counter-notice procedure does not apply (according to eBay), and your sole option appears to be getting the company to admit an error in having your listing removed. So I wrote to the company via the email address provided by eBay, saying I was not a party to the license agreement, and of course they came back with some boilerplate citing a provision of the license agreement prohibiting resale.

The kicker is that there are many other active and completed listings that are basically identical to my listing that was removed. Not sure why I was targeted and others were not.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty sure that I'm right on this, but if the company won't admit it, I'm not sure what to do.
Same thing happened here. I filed the counter-notice so that they have to take me to court if they want me to stop now. Details here. Fortunately, I'm very VERY familiar with the DMCA and the knottheads trying to use it to bully others. It has some wonderful provisions, but this bureaucracy they set up to manage complaints is terrible. The website linked to above is the best set of directions I've found on what to do. DO NOT contact eBay and try to "work with the copyright holder" or you won't be able to safely relist and get the policy violation removed from your eBay account (which can affect your discounts).

Please; the more people we get fighting the errant vero takedowns, the less likely companies will be to abuse this law in the future.

The counter notice procedure does apply as long as you're selling in the US only. Go ahead and formally request the counter notice form. It's funny that they think they can use the US takedown forms provided by eBay, but claim they aren't affected by the applicable counter notice forms. Silly eBay, silly eset.

meh, I stand corrected:I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. However, we are not able to provide you with a Counter Notice as the items of concern were removed by a UK Rights Owner using a UK Notice of Claimed Infringement - Statutory Declaration. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and its Counter Notice process only covers items ended under a US Notice of Claimed Infringement.
I understand how difficult this situation is, but I would like to thank you for your continued use of eBay for your online shopping needs.

rated:
Definately Good to know on the ESET.

I've only listed one and it sold quickly. Won't be picking up anymore though as I don't want to get banned from eBay for too many VERO violations.

rated:
So is it the software manufacturer requesting the VERO takedowns?

I've had two of these against me. One sold before I received it and one didn't. After the second one, I had to watch an eBay tutorial about copyright violations. I suspect if I get another one, I'm out.

No more Eset reselling for me, but I'm just curious who's playing lowball.

rated:
mwerner1 said:   So is it the software manufacturer requesting the VERO takedowns?

I've had two of these against me. One sold before I received it and one didn't. After the second one, I had to watch an eBay tutorial about copyright violations. I suspect if I get another one, I'm out.

No more Eset reselling for me, but I'm just curious who's playing lowball.
Yeah, I've been on the phone with eset for the past hour (I've been very polite). They keep repeating this nonsense about "only authorized resellers are allowed to resell the product." My reply is "You have claimed I violated a copyright - I need to know what part of your copyright is violated." After repeating that "authorized reseller" has nothing to do with "copyright" twice, they hung up on me.

rated:
clearanceman said:   dhilpert said:   youngcoolguy said:   Has anyone tried selling ESET software on eBay? I advertised mine on eBay, and indicated that it would ship in the original retail box (except UPC had been removed). I got a Vero notice removing the listing on the alleged ground that it was a violation of the license agreement. Well, since the license agreement is not printed on the box, I don't see how I am bound by it. I looked up how to challenge a Vero, and it seems that you're supposed to file a counter-notice, but since ESET is a British company, apparently the counter-notice procedure does not apply (according to eBay), and your sole option appears to be getting the company to admit an error in having your listing removed. So I wrote to the company via the email address provided by eBay, saying I was not a party to the license agreement, and of course they came back with some boilerplate citing a provision of the license agreement prohibiting resale.

The kicker is that there are many other active and completed listings that are basically identical to my listing that was removed. Not sure why I was targeted and others were not.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty sure that I'm right on this, but if the company won't admit it, I'm not sure what to do.

Happened to me too. They do remove them all eventually. They don't bother Amazon but the fees are higher and it has to be listed "open box" which reduces the resale value. CL is also an option if you want to mess with it.

Same thing happened to me and I also noticed that many people sell them all the time. Maybe you need the right eBay bribe or to know the right eBay people.

generally when this happens, it is your competition who tip off the rights owner. they give them the eBay user id or item number and thats what gets the ball rolling. thats why some stay up and others dont.

rated:
I didn't know about the vero counter notice but I'm definitely in for this bs process.

rated:

rated:
sakrlewu said:   Symantec Norton Internet Security 2012 3 User
$62.50 - 20% coupon (EMCNBJF239) - $50 MIR (Exp 8/15/12)

KASPERSKY lab Pure 2.0 - 3 User
$60 - $60 MIR (Exp 8/22/12)

McAfee Internet Security 2012 - 3 PCs
$60 - $60 MIR (Exp 8/22/12)

Corel Paintshop Pro X4
$59.99 - 9.99 coupon (EMCNBJF29) - $50 MIR (Exp 8/22/12)

Corel Winzip System Utilities 3 User
$30 - $30 MIR (Exp 8/22/12)

TREND MICRO Titanium Antivirus - 3 PCs
$40 - $40 MIR (Exp 8/22/12)

iolo System Mechanic Professional
$59.99 - $30 MIR (Exp 8/22/12) - $30 Competitive Upgrade Rebate (Exp 12/31/12)

Soda PDF Standard
$34.99 - $20 MIR (Exp 8/20/12) - $20 Competitive Upgrade Rebate (Exp 8/20/12)

The $50 rebate for Corel PSP X4 came up as invalid UPC; I called them and they said last 3 digits don't match what is in their system.
They escalated the issue to their investigation team and asked me to check back in 7-10 days.

rated:
pkp413 said:   
The $50 rebate for Corel PSP X4 came up as invalid UPC; I called them and they said last 3 digits don't match what is in their system.
They escalated the issue to their investigation team and asked me to check back in 7-10 days.

same thing here.. i had an invalid upc number. i called them up and they validated it.

rated:
squanderer said:   

same thing here.. I had an invalid UPC number. i called them up and they validated it.

What was the UPC #? My PSP was delivered by the Angry Gorilla delivery company and looked like someone had tried to fold the box in half.

So I'm waiting for Newegg to replace it and haven't submitted my rebate yet.

on another note..decided to skip over the latest Bit Defender. Have 6 rebates out with them already including stuff from June. While I don't mind an extended wait for a Check from Panda or Kaspersky the Prepaid card from BD isn't cutting it for me.

rated:
My rebate from Norton 360 v6 showed up as invalid on RebatesHQ. Said it was missing UPC, which simply isn't true - I always tape the UPC to the submission form. Will they push these through via phone/chat or will they only do that for "incorrect UPC" and other Invalid Reasons?

rated:
PennDisc said:   My rebate from Norton 360 v6 showed up as invalid on RebatesHQ. Said it was missing UPC, which simply isn't true - I always tape the UPC to the submission form. Will they push these through via phone/chat or will they only do that for "incorrect UPC" and other Invalid Reasons?I actually got 2 Parago rebates show up as invalid today (one Corel, the other Norton). Something is broken/ fishy there. Yes, chat should be able to correct it but I haven't tried yet.

rated:
There were two UPCs on that PSPx4. One on the box and the other was a label put over the box version. I peeled back the label one so both UPCs showed and made a photocopy. But - I expect they will invalidate these no matter what and then wait to see how many people will chase their rebate.

So many people fall prey to these shenanigans because they are afraid to speak up.

rated:
kaycen said:   There were two UPCs on that PSPx4. One on the box and the other was a label put over the box version. I peeled back the label one so both UPCs showed and made a photocopy. But - I expect they will invalidate these no matter what and then wait to see how many people will chase their rebate.

So many people fall prey to these shenanigans because they are afraid to speak up.
This is untrue. I routinely send the UPC sticker and my rebate is almost always valid. They should never expect to receive the UPC that is underneath the sticker because that is not unique to the retailer (and how many customers are going to think to remove the sticker and send the one underneath it). This is an anomaly and I am sure it will be corrected.

rated:

rated:
PennDisc said:   My rebate from Norton 360 v6 showed up as invalid on RebatesHQ. Said it was missing UPC, which simply isn't true - I always tape the UPC to the submission form. Will they push these through via phone/chat or will they only do that for "incorrect UPC" and other Invalid Reasons?I finally did a chat with them over my missing UPC (which was stapled to the form). The rep still claimed "We were missing the UPC barcode label but I can understand that you may have sent this in so it's been updated as a customer courtesy" and validated it. I'll do a separate chat for the Corel rebate that they invalidated since I figured I didn't want to push my luck with the same person.

rated:
billrubin said:   PennDisc said:   My rebate from Norton 360 v6 showed up as invalid on RebatesHQ. Said it was missing UPC, which simply isn't true - I always tape the UPC to the submission form. Will they push these through via phone/chat or will they only do that for "incorrect UPC" and other Invalid Reasons?I finally did a chat with them over my missing UPC (which was stapled to the form). The rep still claimed "We were missing the UPC barcode label but I can understand that you may have sent this in so it's been updated as a customer courtesy" and validated it. I'll do a separate chat for the Corel rebate that they invalidated since I figured I didn't want to push my luck with the same person.

How are you guys checking on the PSP4 status so early on.
Mine still says,

"No status results were found matching your search criteria. Either we did not receive your rebate or it is in the process of being entered in our systems. Please check back periodically."

Did you receive an email with the invalid notification?

rated:
squanderer said:   pkp413 said:   

same thing here.. i had an invalid upc number. i called them up and they validated it.
I just did a chat. Took 20 minutes, during which the rep initially told me they could not verify the number in their system. Only after telling them that their system was wrong (and waiting another few minutes) did the rep agree to approve it as a "one time courtesy". Clearly they have a problem with this rebate.

rated:
mail2genious said:   How are you guys checking on the PSP4 status so early on.
Mine still says,

"No status results were found matching your search criteria. Either we did not receive your rebate or it is in the process of being entered in our systems. Please check back periodically."

Did you receive an email with the invalid notification?
I mailed mine on the 20th and it showed up as invalid on the 25th. I had pre-submitted the form.

rated:
billrubin said:   PennDisc said:   My rebate from Norton 360 v6 showed up as invalid on RebatesHQ. Said it was missing UPC, which simply isn't true - I always tape the UPC to the submission form. Will they push these through via phone/chat or will they only do that for "incorrect UPC" and other Invalid Reasons?I finally did a chat with them over my missing UPC (which was stapled to the form). The rep still claimed "We were missing the UPC barcode label but I can understand that you may have sent this in so it's been updated as a customer courtesy" and validated it. I'll do a separate chat for the Corel rebate that they invalidated since I figured I didn't want to push my luck with the same person.

I get irritated when they pretend like they are doing us a favor with this one time courtesy. Hello, we did the rebate correctly, you didn't enter it and lied to us about not getting the upc/or whatever. you not doing your job right, me complaining that you messed up, and you correcting it isn't a courtesy but just an inconvenience to me.

rated:
SuperOcean said:   billrubin said:   PennDisc said:   My rebate from Norton 360 v6 showed up as invalid on RebatesHQ. Said it was missing UPC, which simply isn't true - I always tape the UPC to the submission form. Will they push these through via phone/chat or will they only do that for "incorrect UPC" and other Invalid Reasons?I finally did a chat with them over my missing UPC (which was stapled to the form). The rep still claimed "We were missing the UPC barcode label but I can understand that you may have sent this in so it's been updated as a customer courtesy" and validated it. I'll do a separate chat for the Corel rebate that they invalidated since I figured I didn't want to push my luck with the same person.

I get irritated when they pretend like they are doing us a favor with this one time courtesy. Hello, we did the rebate correctly, you didn't enter it and lied to us about not getting the upc/or whatever. you not doing your job right, me complaining that you messed up, and you correcting it isn't a courtesy but just an inconvenience to me.

Me included, instead of apologizing for screwing the consumer, they act as if they were allowing this mistake to slip by, and doing us a huge favor.

rated:
billrubin said:   squanderer said:   pkp413 said:   

I just did a chat. Took 20 minutes, during which the rep initially told me they could not verify the number in their system. Only after telling them that their system was wrong (and waiting another few minutes) did the rep agree to approve it as a "one time courtesy". Clearly they have a problem with this rebate.

Had a different experience, mine took 2 minutes and they corrected everything without me entering a single word. They said "This is nothing that you did, it's a problem with the promotion. Your $50.00 Check will be mailed out 4-6 weeks from today. Everything has been corrected. Was there anything else I could help you with?" All I got to say was thank you.

You guys must have got them on track by the time I chatted.

rated:
gw1400 said:   You guys must have got them on track by the time I chatted.It's possible that the guy last night did something after I pointed out that I had sent the UPC from the package and that I had heard from someone else who was also rejected, and that the promotion was broken. Or maybe my guy last night had not gotten the memo.

rated:
gw1400 said:   billrubin said:   squanderer said:   pkp413 said:   

Had a different experience, mine took 2 minutes and they corrected everything without me entering a single word. They said "This is nothing that you did, it's a problem with the promotion. Your $50.00 Check will be mailed out 4-6 weeks from today. Everything has been corrected. Was there anything else I could help you with?" All I got to say was thank you.

You guys must have got them on track by the time I chatted.
It appears they have corrected the problem. My submission shows up as valid from the start.

rated:
Flatbob said:   It appears they have corrected the problem. My submission shows up as valid from the start.That's what I get for mailing my rebate right after I received the package instead of waiting until the postmark deadline like I usually do .

rated:
squinky86 said:   youngcoolguy said:   Has anyone tried selling ESET software on eBay? I advertised mine on eBay, and indicated that it would ship in the original retail box (except UPC had been removed). I got a Vero notice removing the listing on the alleged ground that it was a violation of the license agreement. Well, since the license agreement is not printed on the box, I don't see how I am bound by it. I looked up how to challenge a Vero, and it seems that you're supposed to file a counter-notice, but since ESET is a British company, apparently the counter-notice procedure does not apply (according to eBay), and your sole option appears to be getting the company to admit an error in having your listing removed. So I wrote to the company via the email address provided by eBay, saying I was not a party to the license agreement, and of course they came back with some boilerplate citing a provision of the license agreement prohibiting resale.

Same thing happened here. I filed the counter-notice so that they have to take me to court if they want me to stop now. Details here. Fortunately, I'm very VERY familiar with the DMCA and the knottheads trying to use it to bully others. It has some wonderful provisions, but this bureaucracy they set up to manage complaints is terrible. The website linked to above is the best set of directions I've found on what to do. DO NOT contact eBay and try to "work with the copyright holder" or you won't be able to safely relist and get the policy violation removed from your eBay account (which can affect your discounts).

Please; the more people we get fighting the errant vero takedowns, the less likely companies will be to abuse this law in the future.

The counter notice procedure does apply as long as you're selling in the US only. Go ahead and formally request the counter notice form. It's funny that they think they can use the US takedown forms provided by eBay, but claim they aren't affected by the applicable counter notice forms. Silly eBay, silly eset.

meh, I stand corrected:I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. However, we are not able to provide you with a Counter Notice as the items of concern were removed by a UK Rights Owner using a UK Notice of Claimed Infringement - Statutory Declaration. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and its Counter Notice process only covers items ended under a US Notice of Claimed Infringement.
I understand how difficult this situation is, but I would like to thank you for your continued use of eBay for your online shopping needs.

Dear Superocean,
Thank you for writing eBay's Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program in regard to obtaining a Counter Notice. We appreciate your request and would like to explain the procedure for filing a Counter Notice.
Regrettably, it appears that your listings 200804###### 20080####### were removed by a rights owner from the United Kingdom. If this is the case, filing a Counter-Notice is not an option.
The Counter Notice is an option in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) for disputing claims of US copyright. Since your items were removed in accordance to English law, this doesn't fall within the scopes of the DMCA.
We are sorry for being unable to provide you with the option of filing a Counter Notice. We urge you to contact the VeRO participant directly at the following email address.
eBay@eset.co.uk
ESET spol. S.R.O. should be able to provide you with more information about their concerns. If for any reason you do not receive any correspondence from the VeRO participant after 7 days, you can let us know and we will attempt to contact them on your behalf.
Again, I understand how difficult this situation is, but I would like to thank you for continued use of eBay for your online shopping needs.
Sincerely,
Kirk W.
eBay VeRO Team

Why the heck is eBay applying English law in the US for something I will not be shipping outside of the us? Also what copyright am I violating for selling some shit software I no longer want to try/use. If it's mine, I legally should have the right to sell it off, once I paid for it, they can't control how I get rid of it as long as it doesn't pollute the environment.

rated:

rated:
I got turned down $40 Bit defender Rebate, purchase date started August 2nd. Letter said purchase date wasn't in the correct range. I'll have to call them Tuesday, I purchased August 2nd.

rated:
chase UR mall back down to 2x. It was nice while it lasted...

rated:
Symantec Norton Antivirus 2012 3 User
$40 - $40 MIR (Exp 9/10/12)

TuneUp Utilities 2012 - 3 User
$30 - $30 MIR (Exp 9/14/12)

The TuneUp Utilities form has the "per year" verbiage on it. (Interestingly, the ones that I've seen from Frys don't.) Does anyone have any experience with that - either attempting more than one in a year and getting denied, or approved?

rated:
Symantec Norton 360 6.0 - 3 User
$50 - $50 MIR (Exp 9/17/12)
Free Upgrade to 2013 version

Nova Development Berlitz Premier (choose one)
$25 - $25 MIR (Exp 9/22/12)

rated:
clearanceman said:   roy7736 said:   clearanceman said:   roy7736 said:   clearanceman said:   Just bought an Amazon gift card with a Trend Micro prepaid visa and it did the $1 thing to me like it did with McAfee. You get the email where it says the payment method had a problem. Then you have to buy a card $1 less than the face value of the card and wait a month to use your card with $1 on it. I've got three gift cards waiting for the $1 to show back on them now. And Bill this isn't Amazon payments, it's purchasing an Amazon gift card.

I've used numerous Trend Micro cards to buy Amazon GC's and have never had that problem with Amazon. I've had it with other retailers. Is this the first time you've bought an Amazon GC? What was the dollar amount of the GC that you were trying to buy? I believe that this problem only happens with Amazon when the amount is $25 or more.

Yes, happened twice with McAfee and once with Trend Micro. All three times, the gift card was $60.

Next time you should buy 3 separate $20 GC's if you want to use up a $60 prepaid card. I am 99% sure that it would work fine as long as each individual GC is under $25.00.

Thanks again, I got a $40 gift card today so I bought 2 $20 Amazon cards and it worked great, no $1 hold.

what are you guys buying at Amazon that makes converting the debit cards to Amazon gift cards worth it? i have around $4k worth of these things and im out of bills to pay with them until january.

rated:
sakrlewu said:   Symantec Norton 360 6.0 - 3 User
$50 - $50 MIR (Exp 9/17/12)
Free Upgrade to 2013 version

Nova Development Berlitz Premier (choose one)
$25 - $25 MIR (Exp 9/22/12)

Be very careful with the Nova / Avanquest rebates. They are the worst.

rated:
Jonathan Hood, you better stop lurking and say hello to the deal posters in this thread.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/genius-phd-student-paid-tuition-23...

He shops exclusively online, trolling message boards on deals site Fatwallet.com to find rebate offers he may have missed. It was tips from Fatwallet members that led him to deals at Newegg.com and Frys.com that helped cover his tuition.

rated:
SuperOcean said:   Jonathan Hood, you better stop lurking and say hello to the deal posters in this thread.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/genius-phd-student-paid-tuition-23...

He shops exclusively online, trolling message boards on deals site Fatwallet.com to find rebate offers he may have missed. It was tips from Fatwallet members that led him to deals at Newegg.com and Frys.com that helped cover his tuition.
You caught me Thanks again to everyone who helped with my tuition this semester!

rated:
squinky86 said:   You caught me Thanks again to everyone who helped with my tuition this semester!
The problem with the article is that it makes it seem like the gift cards came for free, when in fact you had big credit card bills to pay for the stuff you bought, and clearly you didn't get back all of the money you spent on the resales of the items. I could buy $1000 worth of gift cards at the supermarket when Chase has 5% Cash Back and say "I got $1000 of stuff free" when I spend them. Until I have to pay the credit card bill.

Also, most rebate forms say that are not valid for resellers and all of the rebate houses now have your name. Hopefully none of them start enforcing that rule.

rated:
billrubin said:   squinky86 said:   You caught me Thanks again to everyone who helped with my tuition this semester!
The problem with the article is that it makes it seem like the gift cards came for free, when in fact you had big credit card bills to pay for the stuff you bought, and clearly you didn't get back all of the money you spent on the resales of the items. I could buy $100 worth of gift cards at the supermarket when Chase has 5% Cash Back and say "I got $1000 of stuff free" when I spend them. Until I have to pay the credit card bill.

Also, most rebate forms say that are not valid for resellers and all of the rebate houses now have your name. Hopefully none of them start enforcing that rule.
Already got to talk to the IRS today (fortunately, I got a guy with a sense of humor! Is that possible?). And yeah, I thought it would be more of a "That's a neat way to pay for things" article instead of having that "work from home scam" feel. I tried to add some details to the article which helped it a little bit, so hopefully no one gets the idea that they can quit their job and make a ton of money doing this. I did, however, earn enough to keep from having to pay a penny in interest on student loans, which was my goal.

rated:
squinky86 said:   You caught me Thanks again to everyone who helped with my tuition this semester!
So, I went to my regular RA today, and the manager said "we were talking about you the other day" (uh oh). Turns out they heard about you and said it reminded them of "the rebate guy" (i.e., me). So you're famous . My wife heard about the story as well.

rated:
Is anyone having problems using the bitdefender rebate-zone website? I haven't been able to see any of my rebates because I'm getting an "unknown error" since Thursday.

rated:
mwerner1 said:   Is anyone having problems using the bitdefender rebate-zone website? I haven't been able to see any of my rebates because I'm getting an "unknown error" since Thursday.The only way I'm ever able to see them is by clicking on the link in the email. Searching always gets an error for me, I assume because I have too many rebates in their system.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 119 20 21222368
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014